Anonymous
Years ago

Funny Talking Hoops, Academy Team announced tonight

Willie Farley joins his backcourt partner Brett Maher and Belly in the studio tonight.

Lineup includes:

- Oscar Forman about recent Australian team experience

- Steve Carfino for preview of NBL

- Erin Phillips

- Cameron Wilson from Woodville

Plus US update and announcement of Stamford Grand Academy team for 2005/06.

Plus your calls on 8371 1000!

Coast FM - 88.7 - 6.30-8.

Topic #3884 | Report this topic

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

I have heard that Jumpin Joe Mencel isn't in the team. I admit I was intoxicated at the time I heard but sure that is what was said. Please tell us this is untrue tonight. I know there are many candidates that could make the team but this guy has got to be one of the hardest workers and talents around.

Reply #45412 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

He is a hard worker on and off the court. Perhaps he doesn't have the time. (The kid is doing a crazy double degree.)

Should be a great show,

pity about the timing clash of the show with the coaching clinic being run by the Asst. Coach of Duke Steve Wojo* (i'm not even gonna try to spell it).

It would have been great to get him on the show while he's in town!

Reply #45413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A tall Sturt player is in the team. Didnt get much court time but is a promising player.

Reply #45422 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Great to see Cam playing so well after his terrible injury and surgery in 2002. His energy and fitness is ridiculous this year.

Reply #45423 | Report this post

NETSET  
Years ago

Mark Paget is the tall player from sturt.

Reply #45424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who r u netset? good job, no lifelines were needed for u!

Reply #45425 | Report this post

NETSET  
Years ago

Just a know it all bystander. Also another big tall player is being looked at for the academy and the 36ers.

Reply #45427 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Question for Belly willl you be able to ever have a BASA employee/ board member on the show who will be able to discuss matters of concern to the public or do you think that they will all be banned from discussions as we have been banned from talking about them?

Reply #45428 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tuned in tonight for part of the show. As always, Belly is hilarious with his amateur covering for dead air and so on. Better than a professional show I think. Also, Maher does a great job with impromptu questions -- firming as a future radio host?

Anyway, the Academy squad was announced. I'll see if I can remember them all:

Gerlach
Lalic
Clausen
Bungey
Madgen
Sutton
Gange
(didn't hear the name of the guy from Norwood)
Zorich
Burdon
Rowe
McKenzie
Paget
Dodman
Craddock
Mapunda
Reeves

Reply #45459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does any1 know who the guy from norwood was?

Reply #45467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who were some potentials from Norwood? A name might ring a bell?

Reply #45470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Mapunda will learn how to take a shot when open at the Academy.

Am I the only Woodville fan who wonders how he gets a starting gig, yet players like Fuller and Pascoe are still coming off the bench?

Reply #45471 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'm curious as to whether Birmingham was eligible to make the team or not. If he was, I can't believe he wasn't included.

Reply #45472 | Report this post

wow  
Years ago

Webber would be the guy from Norwood most likely ..

Reply #45478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt there a kid called weber from norwood that was in there last year?

Reply #45479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Webber

Reply #45480 | Report this post

rasheed36  
Years ago

was it max papendieck from norwood ?

Reply #45481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And no mencel, interesting!!

Reply #45484 | Report this post

Little Trevor  
Years ago

and no Boal or Braithwaite hmmm

Reply #45485 | Report this post

Undersized pf  
Years ago

Where the hell is Zacharjak and pascoe i mean really. p.s Birmingham as well!

Reply #45486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Braithwaite, No Pascoe, No Benson, especially no Birmingham after the season he has had and no Mencel after the huge amount of work he puts in!! Who are the clowns that name this team?? Seriously, what is the criteria??

Reply #45516 | Report this post

Warrior lover  
Years ago

yeh you gotta wonder how Gary Glitter missed out. Pascoe will be a shoe in next year.

And yes Luke Mapunda should come off the bench and rest Fuller and Pascoe not the other way around.

Go Warriors Satdy.

Reply #45537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://triplezero.com.au/sa/stats/player_compare.cfm?id=160,186

Both shooters, and only a year dividing the two of them. Gary has got to be absolutely spewing

Reply #45539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Braithwaite, Birmingham and Mencel were all considered too small for their position given that the academy is looking for future NBLers. Have said that there are others who were picked who are also in that category so who knows. Let's hope those guys who weren't picked show the academy guys up when their ABL club plays them.

Reply #45541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could probably field two competitive academy teams but this is not the case and I guess the line had to be drawn somewhere. It seems one of the criteria is that you have to be a tallish skinny kid!

Reply #45564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Players are selected based on skill and athleticism, body type, maturity, coachability, understanding and knowledge of the game, work ethic and determination, sportsmanship, playing position, and a willingness to learn and improve.

Reply #45567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Players are selected based on skill and athleticism, body type, maturity, coachability, understanding and knowledge of the game, work ethic and determination, sportsmanship, playing position, and a willingness to learn and improve. "

So way weren't the above mentioned players picked!!

Are you trying to say that they lack the above Isaac because you would be wrong!

Reply #45572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm just providing more information on the issue. I don't know the details of two of those guys, but isn't Birmingham fairly small? As someone else has said, this Academy is a development ground for future NBL players in an ideal sense.

Given that a few of the selections are more or less locks (e.g., Bungey, Dodman, etc) and that each team must have a representative, who would you take out to put those guys in?

At Southern, you'd have to put Gerlach and Lalic in ahead of others. Woodville is a tougher one because a lot of the players are fairly even, but from what I've seen Mapunda and Reeves have some height.

Perhaps also the guard positions are dominated by stronger players (Gerlach, Madgen, Zorich, Gange, Sutton) -- four of those guys have already had a run with the Sixers AFAIK.

Reply #45577 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Go Gary Go! Go Gary Go!
Go Gary Go! Go Gary Goooooooo!

Don't give up Gary!

Keep smokin' dem' fools!

Reply #45579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reeves is a 6'4 PF. He is going no where in the NBL. Granted he played some excellent games at the start of the season (particularly v North) but that was when he was unscouted and unheard of. When he came back from his injury and people realised his potential he began to be shut down, as proven by his stats from the middle of the season onwards. Mapunda definitely deserves it, however, 6'5/6'6 SG/SF he could definitely go places if he'd get some confidence in his shooting. And I can't believe Adam Benson didn't make it! I haven't seen many of his ABA games but he's always performed in the games i've seen, but it's his team in reserves. I just hope Birmingham dominates the game V the Academy, he has the skills to do so.

Reply #45584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

benson didn't really seem to improve from last year to this year in ABA.

Reply #45586 | Report this post

Years ago

Who was the last player from Norwood? The only three worthy ones would be Andrew Webber, Max Papendieck and Scott Lampshire. Anyone Know?

Reply #45616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon Papendieck might've been the one?

Reply #45628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

personally as a woodville person i think gary was unlucky to miss out

pascoe although good IMO has started to get beyond himself with his ego

maybe it would be good for him to miss out ergo keep his feet on the floor and head from the clouds

Reply #45630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pascoe doesn't have an ego!!! wtf are you on about!

Reply #45656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paz having an ego???
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis???

Reply #45657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood player is Grantham I believe.

Reply #45664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT HAPPEN TO HIM ON TUESDAY NIGHT

Reply #45673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I straight out cannot believe that Mencel didn't get in. Guess that it shows that hardworking nice guys always finish last.

Keep showing them up Joe, keep making people look stupid!! I have really lost a lot of faith in the SA Basketball system over this.

Reply #45675 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Mr Pasc is the most modest player ive ever played with, if I had his mad skills I would be letting everyone know about it.

He gets up every night, for either u20's, reserves and ABL and trainings and gives it everything.

He tears up half the academy team on a regular basis, and all other likely substitutes.

***Tuesday night he got tunneled by some careless loaf from West, he hit the support at the dome real hard and real awkward. The aftermath looked like something from the Kama Sutra.

Reply #45678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what injury did he actually receive

Reply #45679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't a careless hit Sir Spark; it was a hard foul, you get them in the finals...

From what i saw of the game tues night, greg wasn't tearing anyone up and either was reeves, although he makes for good viewing when arguing with the referee!

pascoe is a great player, but i would not choose him in my academy team.

rory, spud, zakarjak and mencel all had better games and three of them them aren't in the academy.

Reply #45717 | Report this post

Interesting...  
Years ago

hmmm, spud, zacharjak and mencel also didnt get much of a run in the ABA either - maybe that had something to do with them missing out here too .... keep working boys, you 3 definitely have great work ethics and dedication and hopefully this will be recognised one day. Max!? what a joke!!

Reply #47444 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

there's no max.. what are you talking about??

Reply #47449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance but who are:

Sam Grantham ?
Mark Paget ?
Tom Rowe ?

Do these guys even play ABL??

Reply #49336 | Report this post

Glenroy St Guru  
Years ago

Pascoe hit the CLUTCH 3 pointer that won the Warriors the Grand Final. Thats a kid with guts, confidence and loads of potential. Jordanesque ala North Carolina Vs Georgetown.

Hey Isaac how about a photo of the Warriors after they won the title, you know the 'Yeah Baby, number 1' photo?

Reply #49339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tom rowe does for north adelaide

Reply #49342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - Rowe plays for Nth Adelaide, Paget for Sturt, and i think Grantham is a norwood kid.

Reply #49345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Glenroy, never seen one. Sorry!

Reply #49364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754