Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 17

Fri: Rangers @ Fire; Lynx @ Capitals
Sat: Lynx @ Flames; Lightning @ Boomers
Sun: Lightning @ Spirit; Capitals @ Stars

Time to see what the Lynx are really made of. We badly failed the pressure test last weekend.
2 games we probably should win (Louella is expected to be available) if this team is a legit contender, but I'm nervous about both. Even tonight is no certainty IMO, especially being Lauren Jackson's big farewell night. I almost feel better about playing Sydney right now ... unless Swords happens to return, in which case that will be a tough one as well.

Topic #38967 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That ladder is tight.

Has any team even locked in a playoff spot yet?

Perth were top spot last week, and now with a bad weekend they could miss playoffs by the looks of it.

I hear a TV deal is imminent.

Reply #577277 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That Lynx choke I was worried about is coming to fruition ...
9 points down with 1 quarter to play, and just like last round, to much is being left to too few.
Lavey & Burton both yet to trouble the scorers.

Reply #577397 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Down 12 points with < 4 mins left in the game, the Lynx slash the margin to a single point 2 minutes later, but from there the Caps hang on and register their first win of the season.

Lynx faltering at the business end of the season.

Reply #577422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and a business end slap by Bishop on certain someone's face. Will it wake him up though ?

Reply #577450 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Townsville just opened up a big can of whoopass on the Rangers - 89-49

Cayla beasting on the boards again with 17. Fair chance she will overtake Stallworth as the league's leading rebounder by the end of this round.

Reply #577463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ they certainly did, and Batgirl proving her dominance once again .

Her physical size is hard to match , add her experience and aggression and we have yet to see any other big matc her,

But I'm sure the Rangers won't let this loss stop them, think the final might just be a rematch of last nights game.....question is will it be the same outcome.

Finally caps extract their first win..... And over what was touted as the top team.......
Funny how when push comes to shove Lynx fold flat , Lavey just does not have the experience to carry a team yet.

Reply #577521 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

Caps on a run to the finals !!!!
mathematical chance of making it if 6 teams fold !!

I suppose just the promise of a change of coach was enough to introduce the "Heal effect" of addition by subtraction.

Vile bile I know.

Reply #577539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so if I am reading the boxscores correctly
last week with top spot at stake BJ's favourite opals scored a combined 2 points in a lynx loss
tonight with 2nd spot for the taking BJ's opals scored a combined 0 points in a loss to a 0-21 team
I hope BJ was in the stadium watching burton get her arse handed to her by bishop and stallworth
that's a grand total of 2 points at 1/18 shooting in 113 minutes for the teachers pets just when they were needed the most

Reply #577541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bishop has consistently flogged Burton every
time they play each other

Reply #577546 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's unfair. Burton was not guarding Bishop.

From the Canberra Times:
"However, Mijovic was exploited defensively by Bishop (25 points, 15 rebounds) and Stallworth (21 points), who shot 17-25 from the field between them."

Carley was guarding both Abby & DeNisha. Burton had no defensive assignment.
Which would have worked out fine had Carley just done her damn job.
;)

Reply #577548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I ask what the Lynx staff were doing ? Was there a plan by the AC or HC to curtail the caps. I am sure given the coaching that Burton & Mijovic have had previously would no doubt have both players understand the game plan.

Reply #577562 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

"Carley was guarding both Abby & DeNisha. Burton had no defensive assignment."

So what has Burton been doing then, because it hasn't been scoring or rebounding.
I've been told that she does so much off the ball it's not her scoring that matters. But if she has no defensive assignment and has no offensive game what has she got to be an Opal?

Reply #577566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is more of an international player then a WNBL player.

Reply #577567 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ lol.

Reply #577570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #577567
re: WNBL Round 17
She is more of an international player then a WNBL player.

ROFLMAO.......best line for a long time

Reply #577575 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lynx guaranteed to participate in post-season action after tonight's narrow win against the undermanned Sydney Flames.

First time back in the playoffs since the 1999/2000 season!
Pretty happy about that. Congrats to Andy & the team. Huge effort to turn things around so quickly.

Reply #577578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happened to melbourne boomers they have gone from bad to worse

Reply #577614 | Report this post

Lynxman  
Years ago

Is it not possible they have a 3 way tie with SEQ and Bendigo? In which case, why would they be a guarantee?

Reply #577620 | Report this post

Lynx not 100% guaranteed. As above if there is a 3 way tie with SEQ & Bendigo, Bendigo would got through on my understanding. They have a 2-1 record over both of them and Perth have 2-1 over SEQ.

Bendigo need to win last 3 games (home to Adel and road trip to Can/Syd) - doable but anything can happen there. Perth play Townsville in Perth. SEQ in Can today and at Melb/Dandy next week.

Also need to throw Dandy in to the mix as they are 15 wins with 1 game left as well. Gets complicated.

Reply #577625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 614 - Sum it up in one word " Injuries "

Reply #577637 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

One of SEQ's remaining games is @ Dandenong.

If Dandenong loses it, they finish on 15 wins, and even if Perth loses to Townsville they still have the series split on Dandenong.

If Dandenong wins it then it is possible for 3 teams to finish on 15 wins (SEQ, Perth & Bendigo), and in that scenario SEQ loses both season splits so they're eliminated, and SEQ & Perth play finals.

So I'm not seeing any scenario in which Perth can miss out.

Reply #577638 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

* sorry - above should read

" in that scenario SEQ loses both season splits so they're eliminated, and Bendigo & Perth play finals."

Reply #577639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Tvill have the minor premiership locked?

Reply #577643 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I believe SEQ could still finish on top if they will all remaining games (which is quite possible) and Townsville lose both of their games (which is a road trip to Perth & Adelaide next weekend ... so it's mathematically possible, but on current form it ain't gonna happen)

Reply #577646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

614 injuries for sure and some recruiting of individual
type players that are just shooters. As well Burton played last
year and even though her stats were not huge she played
team ball.

Reply #577654 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Leilani & the Lightning are crushing the Spirit right now.
Finals, schminals.

Wonder what Adelaide's season would have looked like if Standish had been there from the start.

Reply #577665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You Can't really give Standish the mvp, although in terms of wins and losses she has had the biggest affect on any team this season.

Reply #577672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently in the last two rounds the league has gotten a lot more cleaner.

Reply #577683 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Adelaide do SEQ a massive favour defeating Bendigo!

Reply #577694 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Go Stars! great win without an actual PG. Looks like Jarry played the position all game.

Reply #577749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tracy York, Coach of the Year?

I know her team won't play finals this season but 10 wins (with one to play) is a phenomenal effort when you look at the last minute squad she put together.

She has developed a young squad who have bought into her game plan, Mitchell has continued to star and Standish and Ruef have developed into top line players.

Well done Tracy, hasn't had enough recognition.

Reply #577840 | Report this post

That Guy  
Years ago

Reward York for coaching her mediocre team to mediocrity?

Reply #577864 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Clueless comment IMO.

Adelaide one of the success stories of the season to go from the brink of nonexistence to finals spoiler, knocking off the likes of Bendigo, Dandenong and (a full strength) Sydney along the way.

York is right up there with Andy Stewart in what she has achieved with her roster IMO.

Reply #577871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arrogant coach that even called an in your face T/O V Bendigo/ Pitchard yesterday with 40 sec to go and 16 pts up ??? Could not believe it when I saw it

Reply #577873 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh, well in that case take back everything I said.
That rude timeout cancels out all the excellent results she has achieved with her limited, hastily-assembled roster.

Reply #577882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754