Joshuapending
Years ago

Petrie opts out of contract, going to Brisbane?

Ten reported that peach opted out of his contract. Shame I had him as a lock to stay.

Topic #39206 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

He could just be renegotiating his contract given the new salary cap rules etc...?

Reply #583992 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Petrie is only one year into the 3 year deal he signed with the 36ers last year.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/37363-36ers-lock-in-anthony-petrie-for-3-years/

So reading between the lines he and the club must've mutually agreed to tear up the remaining 2 years of the contract.

Reply #583999 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

If true, he'll probs be going to Brisbane, keen to be closer to family. Stated this last time he intended to sign with the Bullets before they went belly up.

Reply #584002 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It might have been threw years with an option at the end of each?

Reply #584005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane?

Reply #584007 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It might have been threw years with an option at the end of each?

Some Perth contracts were similar, I always thought it could only be an option for the last year but they've been doing it a while...

You'd be pretty certain he'd only really uproot his family to head back closer to the rest of them... I'd love him in purple, but I'd bet not my house, but someone else's, that it's BrisVegas...

Reply #584009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to see him go if true, i always liked PEtrie, was a Warrior for the team

This could open up some more cap space and $$$ for a stronger import than we could have had with Petrie on the team. So could turn out ok for both sides

Reply #584021 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I like Petrie but I think he is on a downward slide (like Gibson) so probably a good time to part ways.

Reply #584022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Tornado. Thought last 2 seasons for every win there was too many backdoors opened by Peach. And he has chronic injury issues.

Reply #584025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the right move, a tough call, but the right one. He has a been a hard nosed warrior but that body is on the wrong side of 30 now. I doubt very highly that he has opted out, more so a polite push, they did similar with Schenscher when he left for Townsville the first time. They try to spin it and that's business so I get it. But what player wants to hang around when they aren't wanted. Hopefully he can get a solid gig in Qld and continue to motor for a while longer. Not sure what Joey is going to do, all his 'go too's' are leaving!

Reply #584030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey With his extended contract is going to build his side nicely in my eyes. Petrie is well past his best days. The Nbl looks to be going from strength to strength.

Reply #584038 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Perhaps Joey is freeing up some cash to get better imports?
Maybe the 36ers are going after Nick Kay...he would be a good replacement for Peach.
I'm not sure how this 36ers roster is going to shape up but I am somewhat excited to see how it pans out...?

Reply #584050 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

My problem is we are back here again with a team that is in Flux for the most part. Plus peach was just solid.

Reply #584055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have little faith in Joey Wrights ability to pick the right guys. Peach is the right move to be gone, BUT doesn't mean he will be replaced appropriately.

Reply #584068 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

joshuapending - that seems to be the norm for NBL teams generally. According to the free agents' list, Adelaide has more players already contracted than most other teams.

In terms of core players, other than Cairns and NZ, teams only have 1 starter already contracted. After yesterday, Sydney can add Lisch to make it 2.

As posted by others above, it's a shame to lose Petrie. That said, his form over the last couple of years lends me to feel it offers a good opportunity to improve the team's future prospects.

Reply #584071 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Is this actually happening or is it just a matter of paperwork not being with the NBL?

Reply #584077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure another team needs a thug.

Reply #584078 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I thought Petrie would be very useful coming off the bench behind DJ (who could slide over as a stretch 4 if the Sixers get a Gladness/Jackson/Ibekwe type 5).

I'm not sure Anthony would be so keen so perhaps he sees better options elsewhere (and the Sixers are happy to facilitate those opportunities knowing there are less expensive but just as effective alternatives)

Reply #584089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the plan is to bring bj anthony in on a cheaper deal and spend more on the imports

Reply #584091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peach may be renegotiating in a different deal.

Reply #584093 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Find it hard to believe that any team would want to sign him to another 2 year contract as almost the whole league gets 1 year deals.

I wonder if this means that Adelaide go hard after Tom Garlwpp as I can't see him getting any gig anywhere else (except maybe Townsville is Nick Kay leaves).

Can't imagine Peach going anywhere but Brisbane but maybe Illawarra if they lose Cody Ellis.

Reply #584096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peachs wife playing Premier for Forestville in Adelaide and his kids too. Started Winter Season last week. Will wait to see what happens. Hope teams sort out core groups quickly.

Reply #584097 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Tommy Garlepp is currently playing Waratah league for Wollongong, his wife's family is from there, I'd hate to lose him from the Kings, but if he DOES leave, would love someone with Peach's hustle, experience and talent in purple & gold...

But like a few other players, he could have just been negotiating a new deal and could stay in Adelaide...

Reply #584103 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Better off without him. Hopeless.

Reply #584112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a Bum then

Reply #584113 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Big blow for any team if they lose their best defender, especially given how poor most of their other regular ball screen defenders are. Would be a great pick-up for Brisbane to help build culture.

Reply #584115 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

All the best to the big Peach. I'm disappointed personally I really enjoyed and appreciated his effort on the court. Having a chat after the game was always good as well.

Reply #584486 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754