Anon
Years ago

A.Gaze-Kings Coach

After watching some of the SEABL results of Melbourne it is certainly good the Kings sign Vickerman because Gaze is only going to be a marketing tool.

If Gaze fails then Vickerman can step straight in to try to get the sinking ship back on track-good luck.

Feel sorry for Shaun Dennis when he was offered the Kings job but wanted to show his loyalty to Townsville and then gets ousted when Townsville pull the plug on the League.

Topic #39323 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

I just find it amusing that he said the league needed to shut down and then a year into it he's now coaching a team in that league.

Reply #586200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it amusing that people think A Gaze can coach.
I would expect his media profile and personality will work in Sydney and make no mistake he is a smooth talker and would be good for drawing sponsorship in. leave the expert coaching to Vickerman and exclude Lanard too.

Reply #586201 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I don't know anything about Lanard's coaching ability, but he won't fail through lack of effort. He seems to be coaching a lot of different squads. Last year I'd often shoot around at MSAC before work and see him working out a couple of different squads as well as individuals every time I was in there. He may not have top level experience yet but I think he may surprise some people.

Reply #586205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Gaze coaching will be from a text book, Vickerman and Lindsey Gaze. SEABL level is far from NBL level and Gaze
will findout that immediately.

Lanard is only there as support to gaze when things go wrong. I give Gaze 1 year and he will be back to Mel with Lanard following.

The Kings have shown once again despite the new owners that its all about Marketing in Sydney first then pray the team can win some games in the process. Its a shame because is been tried previously and turned out to be a disaster!

Has anyone heard a word from Childress about returning?

Reply #586207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Kings have shown once again despite the new owners that its all about Marketing in Sydney first then pray the team can win some games in the process. Its a shame because is been tried previously and turned out to be a disaster!"

Well no, actually, for the best part of a decade, if not longer, the Kings were the big money makers in this league with exactly this approach. At the time it was being reported Wrublewski was making league record profits every year with this formula.

Reply #586208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly when the Kings had responsible owners they all made profits.
The likes of the David Koch's of the world are there for the wrong reasons and when money is asked for Koch as an owner was MIA.
Since then the decline of the Kings is a shame.
As a long time Kings supporter I see nothing that A Gaze has to offer in terms of coaching ability. I am sure he was hired for profile and the marketing ability.
Lanard was a former employee of the Vic based college of Basketball Academy and was a miserable fail there. No reason the assume anything has changed.
If the Kings were smart Vickerman should have been hired in the first instance.
That will cost them down the track undoubtedly.
Relocation costs, rental in Sydney will be massive. Enough to fund a team for a season at least.
IMO poor decision making from a group that are supposed to be smart.

Reply #586211 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm not sure about strategy but I think he would be more of a motivator type coach and will really ask his team to take the game on... Can't imagine you'll get a Kings team not beating the shot clock as he'll have them all throwing them up... Oh crap they signed Garlepp again didn't they.

I think everything that Andrew learns during SEABL will be important and the rest he will learn whilst around his assistants and talking to his Dad

Reply #586247 | Report this post

wherearethey  
Years ago

gaze was successful under a number of coaches and different systems. He had to work hard from his junior days throughout his career. My experience has been that players who worked hard to be successful transform into better coaches than the athletically gifted players who just turned up and were champions without really understanding why.

I think he will bring hard work and effort to the Kings + a lot of smarts. I think he is being under estimated and will be a success.

Reply #586256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wherearethey....what a load of garbage! Hard work helps but it's a basketball brain that makes a good coach.

Reply #586260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes you assume he doesn't have a good basketball brain?
As a player he seemed to.
My expectations are not high for him purely because I wonder if his heart is in this but at the same time I would not write him off either. As a player he was a huge success despite being a below average athlete. He understands the game.

Reply #586261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah all the experience is translated into all of those wins in the Seabl.Never heard so much piffle.

Reply #586262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All those different systems? Like... Shuffle, shuffle & more shuffle?

Reply #586263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How talented is his seabl team???

That makes a big difference in wins/losses regardless of who the coach is.

Reply #586266 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

"Well no, actually, for the best part of a decade, if not longer, the Kings were the big money makers in this league with exactly this approach. "

Uh, weren't Sydney not even part of the league for the best part of said decade?

Reply #586272 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

The teams he's coached at Big V level, and now at SEABL have both been significantly less talented that the teams that they've been playing against. I don't think he's been given much chance to show whether he's a good coach or not. I don't expect that situation will be replicated in Sydney, so it should provide a more accurate picture as to whether or not he has what it takes.

Mind you, I expect that if he does have success in Sydney, Vickerman will be given most of the credit anyway!

Reply #586276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sacked an import the other day. Did Gaze select that guy? If so that's clearly nor a good start.

Reply #586284 | Report this post

wherearethey  
Years ago

anon 263 was college and all the boomers teams shuffle ,shuffle, shuffle?

Reply #586302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow how the NBL has changed Gaze Copeland duo being part of the Kings.

But funnily enough this same move keeps another aspect of the league the same - Kings being Violet Crumbles!

Reply #586314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone heard if Childress coming back to the Kings? If
I was Gaze he would of been the #1 priority.

Reply #586325 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Uh, weren't Sydney not even part of the league for the best part of said decade?
Anon said a decade, not the last decade.

Reply #586342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon they just signed Lisch for $300k per which is basically what Childress was on.

I highly doubt they intend to spend $600k on just two players and then fill out the other 9 spots for $500k total.

Reply #586344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should add they've already got Khazzouh under contract and he wouldn't come cheap either so I think the Lisch signing signalled the end of the Childress era.

Reply #586345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #586344

No Childress in the Kings lineup next season puts more pressure on Khazzou, Cadee, Garlepp to have a standout season and leave a gap in the floor leadership dept.

As great of a players as Gaze was with the Tigers, he
is about top face his biggest basketball challenge coaching the kings.

Reply #586350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What rubbish. Childress spent 1/2 of his time here injured. So the Kings managed with out him.
I for one don't want to see him back and I expect them toget someone of equal skill or better.

Reply #586368 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Equal skill? No matter what you think of his durability, Childress was one of the most skilled players the league has seen. With the amount being spent on Lisch, I doubt very much any of our imports will be of equal skill or better.

Reply #586369 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"I for one don't want to see him back and I expect them toget someone of equal skill or better."

Seriously NFI. Injuries aside Childress was one the best players EVER to grace an NBL court.

Might get someone younger, more durable etc but to get a "better" player.....

Reply #586373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with Angus h and fstos

Childress was one of the most talented players to play Nbl.

Reply #586374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic. Enjoy the warm fuzzy feelings you got from Childress. When it's all said and done that talent you say he has and I agree was not seen for 2 full seasons. Maybe if he played to that uninjured capacity they wouldn't still be a basketcase.
Did you ever see Dwain McClain play? If so, there is no comparison ever.

Reply #586377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Childress was a much better player than D-Train ever was. Aside from the NBL comparison one was a near All-Star level player in the NBA at one point the other never even played in the NBA.

Reply #586379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze have said nothing about resigning Childress which leaves me to think he's looking to bring in a different import and one can only assume he will come with athletic NBA experience player who is great for crowd entertainment
and marketing.

Lets just hope Childress don't go to another NBL team
because im sure he will have a little extra for the Kings.

Reply #586387 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Gaze HAS mentioned Chill actually, w hen he was first brought in as coach, saying that he'd love to have him on the team and it was up to him... They'd be stupid to not chase him but equally stupid to not have a back up or other options ready...

Reply #586400 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yes, I saw the D-Train, and he'll always be one of my favourite Kings, but be serious buddy.. Back in those days imports would routinely come down the NBL and dominate. The local standard has risen significantly since then, which isn't to diminish what guys did back in those days, it's just to put it in perspective... as anon says above, Childress was a solid NBA player for a number of years, and even back to his college days was an incredibly well rounded basketball talent with good athleticism (compared to typical NBA), NBA-level skills across the board EXCEPT a consistent 3pt shot, which along with the injuries is what stopped him taking that big step forward in the NBA.

Reply #586401 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He also made the All-Euroleague second team. The only other NBL import I can think of who was a genuine gun in the Euroleague was Chris Williams (even if I've missed one or two it's a very small group).

Reply #586403 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Seriously, I have not seen a better player in the NBl, since I can't remember when. Even on the come-back from injury he CARRIED that team.

On Gaze, you have to ask WHY they would sign Vickerman as an assistant? And why he would take the job?
Vickerman is everything Gaze is not, an experienced, championship winning coach, who served a great "apprenticeship" under Lemanis.
For mine, there must be a clear agreement that Gaze is the front-man and "motivator" whilst Vic is the real coach.

There's no doubt Wrublewski revolutionised Basketball in this country, but even he was quick to admit that on-court success had eluded him. I don't think there was anything wrong with his approach, the NBL should have learnt from him whilst they had the chance. The Kings just weren't lucky during his tenure.

Reply #586435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Childress in the NBL was a bit like watching Scottie Pippen in the NBA he was just on a different level to the players around him in nearly every facet of the game.

Reply #586437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hellooooo out there to the Sydney Kings..is anyone home.

Any news on player signing or imports?

Reply #586708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus. Are you seriously saying that the likes of Grace, Copeland, D Train The Chief, The Chairman, Simmons, and the list goes on are worse than todays imports?

JVG is in the USA atm and I am sure will identify some talent. If he doesn't then I reckon he won't be there long ;)

Reply #586711 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Anon 711. As usual when people harp on about yesteryears quality imports they cherry pick the best of the best from a decade or more and then compare them to todays crop (of one season).

Just going on the last 3 seasons the list of Childress, Randle, Ennis, Lisch, CJ, Wilbekin, Warrick, Ebekwe, Clarke, Young, McRae.

Put any of those guys into an earlier era and they would have dominated even more.

The main difference these days is that for whatever reason the imports don't stay around as long.

Reply #586717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if they don't stay around as long who cares.
The game is far more than flash in the pan imports that don't stay. But are somewhat talented.

Perhaps I should single out specific years?. NO cherry picking required. Give me a year to review. Random. No research.

Reply #586719 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

1997 Vs last year

Reply #586720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing Bullets have signed Craig for 2 season, plus other nbl teams signing quality players and nothing coming from the Kings camp, I'm gonna placed my bet at TAB the kings to be the wooden spooners next season.

Reply #586901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG is back in town so here's hoping.

Reply #586931 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754