theBallergods
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers - SEABL - FAIL

What is going on with the Melbourne Tigers, They have sacked their import - Rob Jones who can play. Andrew painted himself as some sort of genius being the first to import from China, what a mistake, he cannot play and has no idea what Andrew is going about. Did Andrew underestimate the level SEABL? he has put together a roster that would be bad in Big V??? How does he get a coaching job in the NBL, Sydney Kings are in trouble!

Topic #39349 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Make no mistake - Vickerman is the Coach of the Kings...Gaze is just the marketing and media man.

Reply #586794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After following him in Big V, how did anyone think that this would result in any different?! Take off the rose coloured glasses and look at results as a coach.

Reply #586804 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Rhys Carter is the only functioning player on the squad, the rest are a bunch of bums

Reply #586854 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

When is Corletto due in?

Reply #586856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's clear Andrew is only a marketing tool for both Melbourne Tigers-SEABL and the Kings who will use his profile to get bums on seats while Vickerman do all the coaching.

While most NBL teams have been signings new players for next season the Kings have announced ditto.

Reply #586858 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Gaze, but really have no idea what is going on at the Tigers now or why he's going to Sydney.

The Tiger roster was a bit rushed at the start of the SEABL season but when you end up with Jones, Carter, Corletto (not here yet), Perry (for some of the season) and another import they could have been a bit optimistic. Instead they get an experimental import who doesn't appear to be up to it, lose their decent import and are just struggling to compete. Pretty embarrassing.

Reply #586861 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Give the poor guy a break! I would imagine that the Tigers didn't have much time to recruit for SEABL given the late notice that they were actually in the league for this season. You can't exactly recruit properly until you know what league you are in.

They seem to be competitive in most games until the last quarter. Maybe they just run out of legs as their bench doesn't go very deep, they really only have 6 legitimate SEABL quality players on the roster. Corletto will definitely help them out when he arrives, as will their new recruit.

I heard on the grapevine that Jones was let go due to his avoidance of attending trainings, for that I say good on them for sacking him and that lazy attitude! That lack of team commitment can spread like a cancer, Gaze did the difficult thing and let him go. I am sure that once Corletto and the new guy arrive we will see some very different results. After all, it is hard for a coach to win if he doesn't have the right players around him, so maybe lets reserve judgement of Gaze's coaching ability until then!

Reply #586865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can't exactly recruit properly until you know what league you are in." That the dumbset quote ever.
So what other league were they going to be in?
They apply for a Seabl licence and arent ready.

"Gaze did the difficult thing and let him go." No that's called doing his job. If he had recruited correctly in the first place maybe team harmony might not have been so bad.

"After all, it is hard for a coach to win if he doesn't have the right players around him, so maybe lets reserve judgement of Gaze's coaching ability until then!"

More stupid comments agian. He selected the side and the buck stops there. Don't make excuses for his underwhelming season so far. Glad Vicerman will be coaching as clearly Gaze doesnt know how to.

Reply #586867 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

Expect to see former Albury/Wodonga import Cory Dixon as the replacement for Jones. Runner up in the SEABL MVP last year. Played with Corletto in England.

Will be a big upgrade over Jones.

Reply #586868 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

What other league were they going to be in... Big V just like they were last season. You will not necessarily attract the same players if you are recruiting for Big V as you will for SEABL. Anybody with any knowledge can see that! There are quality players that want to play SEABL and not Big V, finding out at the last minute that you are in a higher competition of course changes what playing roster you need.

As for Gaze should have recruited correctly, who will know what headset every player is in at this point in time. Jones may have been a regular training attendee previously but for some reason isn't the ultimate team player now. I am pretty sure Gaze doesn't have a crystal ball anymore than you do!

I am not sure why you are so quick to hate on Gaze, he is a great guy who is passionate about his club. It's a shame there aren't more loyal people around like him these days. There are not too many people or even juniors around anymore that can say they have played and coached at one club for their whole career!

As for the derogatory comments from you regarding my post, thanks for letting me express my opinion without being attacked!

Reply #586872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at Big V and they never had a competitive team with him there also.......

Reply #586878 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

I am pretty sure that as a club they don't have money to splash around buying players in like most of the current successful clubs at either Big V or SEABL level. They produce an amazing quantity of Australian and State reps among their boys programme but unfortunately are victims of this success as most of these kids go chasing their dream in the USA. If they stayed around to play we would be having a very different conversation. Tigers don't seem to be bitter about this, instead they celebrate the boys success and do everything they can to help the kids have these overseas experiences and hopefully go on to a professional career.

Like it or not, clubs need money to buy players in these days!

Reply #586880 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

SEABL is a tough league. I too have expected Tigers to have a couple more wins on the board by now, however still early in the season.

Probably most surprising because their junior program is so successful, maybe we all just expect them to be top of the ladder, but give them time to build and get it right I say...

Reply #586882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is a great gut undoubtedly. So am I. And what's your point if he's been there all his life?
He picked and is in charge of a dud side.
Let's hope that doesnt translate to the Kings.

Reply #586906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Melbourne Tigers have signed Corey Dixon, they need someone to cover the embarrassing Chinese import.
I've watched 3 tigers games and they are really bad, I watched Rob Jones play against Hobart and he dominated. Something not right releasing Jones this early. Clearly the Chinese import should have gone.

Didn't realise Rob Jones is at Frankston now. Will be interesting to see how he goes with them. They will be tough with Corey Maynard and Bennie Lewis.

Great timing for Tigers getting to play against Jones this week, I wonder what might transpire.

Reply #586925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754