Isaac
Years ago

Ben Simmons player comparisons

Draft hype building including this player comparison article on ESPN. LeBron, Magic, Odom, Josh Smith, etc.

Using the DraftExpress measurements database, which includes data from various measurement sources going back more than 15 years, along with Simmons' recorded measurements at LSU:

- Simmons has a 41.5-inch maximum vertical, the best of any player 6'9" or taller in shoes

- Simmons ran the 3/4 court sprint in 2.9 seconds, the fastest of any player 6'8" or taller in shoes

- Simmons has a 12'6" maximum vertical reach, the highest reach of any player overall

Full story

Topic #39535 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

lol you'd hope he will be better than Josh Smith and Lamar Odom

Reply #589786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're pretty decent baselines though.

Reply #589787 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think the eye-test is the best in this circumstance, these points/rebounds/shooting percentage stats comparisons don't really do much.

1. Different eras for some players including different pace, style, tactics
2. Different teams & team mates (LSU sucked for instance)
3. Translating success from hs/college/other leagues to NBA is tricky (look at Darko Milicic)

Quick analysis...

Simmons has a freakish natural talent which makes things on the Court a hell of a lot easier - particularly in NBA world with all the isolation. Big guys aren't going to be able to defend his drive from the perimeter unless you've got Kevin Durant. He has the agility mobility and hand coordination to drive like a guard.

It's going to take some serious zoning to stop a Simmons drive, this is where his strong passing game will become an absolute nightmare if the coaching is decent and tactics acknowledge this opportunity. A fast paced athletic 76ers with Simmons against defence will require Spurs like defence or serious pace on D and endurance to interrupt it. Whether it's allowing a Simmons drive or allowing open shooters, it should be a bit of a 'pick your poison' situation for opposition.

Simmons' shooting has been criticised, but I think that is a stretch because simply hasn't shot very much. I'd like to see what happens over the next few years but the mechanics of his shot is fine, it's just about putting them up at a higher rate (and obviously getting them in the basket). If he can have a consistent Duncan-like mid range jumper then he's got all the tools to really dominate his opposition. If he isn't able to capitalise in that area then it certainly is a bit of a hall pass for opposition who might lag off of him until he gets to the danger area near the basket.

Of course all of this is for nothing if a) he isn't coached/utilised properly, b) players around him are selfish/incompetent (ala LSU) or b) attitude/immaturity/lack of competitiveness/general personality stunts use of his natural ability and diminishes development

Defensively with his long span, vertical leap and height makes him tough to shoot over and he'll get a decent number of blocks if he works hard enough and learns the timing of the NBA. He will keep working on his body to get that muscle up and make sure he's not pushed out of a contest. Importantly his foot speed will help prevent players from getting past him easily. A strong work ethic will make sure he's no liability on D.

He's got the natural ability, it comes down to effort, development, maturity, intellect, good coaching and good players around him.

I'd say in respect to his current strengths, comparisons to Magic, LeBron, Durant are accurate even if he doesn't quite reach those levels. I don't think Odom or Smith measure similar impact to Simmons. I think the reason why they were drawn up as comparisons is because Odom is a tall guy (same height as BS) with a bit of pace and guard-ish skills (albeit nothing like Magic/Durant) and Smith was a slightly smaller guy (206cm) who played more like an athletic 208-210cm guy ie. they both play out of the stereotype roles.

Reply #589788 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think Odom is a decent comparison. Point power forwad.

The hope is he'll have a higher peak but Odom was a very good player.

Draymond Green is another good comparison, not physically, but in terms of a PF with great passsing skills and who can initiate the offense, something that is becoming big in the NBA. Many teams that start big play with traditional small forwards when it matters. LeBron is for all intents and purposes a point power forward now. Even Kevin Durant and Paul George.

Green and LeBron are able to have great impacts at these spots despite never being great outside shooters. They both have their moments,but are at best streaky. Simmons only needs to get 'ok' from outside to be a perennial all star.

Reply #589789 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I think people forget how good Odom was pre-Kardashian.

His lone season in MIA was great.

Reply #589798 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Simmons can grab a coin off the top of the backboard

Reply #590076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'10 with a 42 inch vert. Probably could. Others have done it

Reply #590079 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Won't need to now, of course - he'll be rolling in it!

Reply #590096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754