Isaac
Years ago

Exec: Westbrook 'Hundred Percent Gone' From OKC

One person close to Durant and Russell Westbrook said their relationship is "kind of complicated."

Said another Western source, "Look, KD and Russ are friends. They get along great off the court. They're good guys. But Kevin feels like no one can control Russell when he’s on the court — not even Russell. Everyone sees it. It’s no secret. I think that’s been hard on Kevin. Russ is one of the top players in the game, but things have to fit."
"He’s gone after this year," said one league executive about Westbrook. “A hundred percent. I think that’s the case no matter what (Durant had decided). I guess people can always change their mind, but I think this season was going to be it for him there no matter what.”
From RealGM.

Topic #39597 | Report this topic

Speed44  
Years ago

So, if this is true at all, that means that OKC MUST look for trades for him before the deadline.

Reply #590783 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

IMO He was and still is the heart and soul of that team. They need to do everything they can to lock him in long term.

Reply #590784 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Unfortunately, given that the salary cap will increase again next year (and max contracts being a % of the salary cap), Westbrook has almost zero incentive to sign an extension.

Unless OKC gains a reasonably firm commitment that he'll stay long-term, I imagine they'll trade him - preferably during this offseason.

But if he indicates he's going to leave next year - perhaps for the Lakers, as has been rumoured for some time now (he went to UCLA and might love the limelight given his obsession with fashion) - how much will other teams give up for a potential 1-year rental?

Lakers could offer D'Angelo Russell etc. Boston might take a punt and give up Brooklyn's '17 1st round pick etc. I can't imagine too many other teams will be seriously in the running.

Reply #590787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754