XY
Years ago

Sydney signs Chinese player Bo Liu

Interesting signing reported by the ABC.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-26/sydney-kings-signs-china's-bo-liu/7789348

Pretty big news taking advantage of the Asians-as-locals rule?

Topic #39854 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Very clever by the Kings.. $$$

Reply #597442 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

As a development player.. wonder how much game time he will get.

Reply #597444 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Didn't Melbourne sign a Chinese player back in 2004?

Reply #597445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lu Wei played in the all star game

Reply #597446 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Will bring lots of asian interest to the Kings and the NBL which is only a good thing

Reply #597448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the same player Gaze had on his SEABL team? Didn't take long for a conflict of interest to come about. Guy wasn't anything special at that level. Favours for people overseas...

Reply #597452 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who cares it's not like he's going to be taking up a spot on the roster. Very shrewd signing with all the potentially good things to spin off from this.

Reply #597455 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

OI WHERE ARE THE GOOD PLAYERS? Never heard of this guy you google him and then nothing. kings NEED NBA QUALITY PLAYERS not this guy it is CORRUPT to just sign crappy players because they will get you sponsorship in China. Is it all about the money these days? People will not support this rubbish CORRUPT signing form an incompetent management.

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME AND GET RID OF THIS GUY! Three foreign players and three players who nobody has EVER HEARD OF! Rubbish. They used to send players back after a week if they were no good Brett Brown was at the airport so much he was always rejecting retard players now any old player can get a game here THE NBL IS DYING and this rubbish is why. WHY NOT CALL UP A GOOD QUALITY LOCAL what about Joshua Chapman best player in sydney him and cadee are mad players. IT GETS ME SO MAD when idots let this get signed.

Reply #597456 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

The only way the Asian exemption will help a team is when a player has some Asian heritage like Holt but cannot play in a high paying league like the Chinese league as a local.

Any Chinese, Korean etc player with the ability to make any impact on the NBL would receive far more money to play in their own country than what a player of that ability would be worth here. There are some good Chinese/Korean/Filo players but the talent level falls away pretty quickly.

Just a gimmick to try and

a) get the local Chinese community involved
b) get some Chinese sponsor $$$

If it makes some money then its worth wasting a spot that wouldn't play much anyway.

Reply #597459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about giving him a chance before some of you keyboard warriors go into meltdown. Not on Google, must be a terrible player. If he's not up to it he won't play just like most development players, and unlike them will give exposure to the league and maybe valuable sponsorship money that teams desperately need and will ensure the league survives unlike recycling another 34 year old that's well past it but can play garbage minutes. Seems like a brilliant idea.

Reply #597484 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I've never seen such a fuss over the signing of a development player.

Big bloody deal, not. I don't know why people are so excited either way but then I don't understand why it warranted a press release and all the media coverage either. What a yawn!

Reply #597485 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Kings are in a win win with this signing. It should generate $$$$ and also increase crowd numbers. If he is a good player, great, if he doesnt get court time, what is lost. He brings more to the table than any other development player can!! Has been coached and recommended by "the Gooj"

Reply #597486 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

For whatever reason, I can't remember too many development players actually developing into anything of note.

I am sure some do. There are probably great examples. But most go on to either become 12th men or they drop out of the league.

And this is why I don't understand the uproar against picking this kid up. Those people who are worried that it will take a spot from an "Aussie kid" didn't seem to mind so much when the import quota raised.

He will probably wave towels and play a minute or two in blow out games. He will probably also bring in a great deal of interest from China, strengthen ties, and be a step towards making the league more lucrative. Where's the loss?

But hold on, we need another Aussie in the league making 15 K a year on the bench and not amounting to a whole lot, right?

Reply #597501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have always had the Chinese community involved for a long time. This is the same guy who plays for Gaze in the Tigers Seabl program. Gaze has been going to China for decades. The guy is a true development player and good luck to him. Passable at Seabl level with limited prospects any higher IMO.
He certainly is on GOOGLE too

Reply #597502 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

For whatever reason, I can't remember too many development players actually developing into anything of note.

I am sure some do. There are probably great examples. But most go on to either become 12th men or they drop out of the league.

Chris Goulding & Thomas Abercrombie come to mind.

Reply #597509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire as well

Reply #597515 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Those would be great examples, Zodiac. But I am pretty sure the vast majority of development players go nowhere so this one spot to a Chinese kid isn't even an issue.

Reply #597517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is for so many ill informed idiots here. Mock is the Captain of that team.

Reply #597524 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Taking a leaf out of the Lakers playbook...

In a league where revenue is really bad, it's a smart move.

Reply #597528 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Was Ben Madgen a development player for Adelaide before playing college and eventually getting a contract with the Kings?

I mean I agree with ME, most development players barely get on the court and then return to SEABL/Waratah type level competition.

I say this is a low risk/low to medium reward move by the Kings and it is pretty smart, if not earth-shaking.

Reply #597529 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Cam Tragadh was a dev player at the Bullets before he went to the Hawks.

Reply #597530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, Madgen was a DP. As was David Barlow, and I believe Tom Garlepp.

NZ turn their DPs into NBL players, at a minimum, at a good clip. Corey Webster, Alex Pledger, Leon Henry, Dion Prewster, Isaac Fotu, Reuben Te Rangi, Tai Webster...

Reply #597531 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Okay, there are exceptions to the rule but not development players get signed for a season and end up flipping burgers next season. He hasn't really robbed some Aussie kid of a shot is the point I am making.

Reply #597537 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

All three of NZ's d players last season have full time roster spots.

Reply #597569 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yes, but apart from all the really great examples everyone has said, no development players ever make the full roster, der!

Reply #597574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

liu is an important selection based on the Chinese connection in Sydney and the Goorj connection in China.
He is probably older than listed and some knowledgeable people suggest he wont get any better than he already is. never the less still important. Kings touring China again shortly.

Reply #597580 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Wookie I never said "no" development players make it. The players listed are stil in the minority overall

Reply #597591 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NZ's players tend to make it, other clubs' players don't.

Perhaps the lesson here is not that DP spots don't matter, but that someone should look at what the Breakers are doing and try that.

Reply #597592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This signing highlights the Kings approach to the winning games is not a top priority but instead, its all about marketing to the Chinese community in NSW hoping some revenue can come from it.

To state that Goorjian spoke highly of Bo Liu means nothing. If he was a legitimate player he wouldn't sign with the Kings. Plus Goorjian speaks highly of most people publicly behind closed doors he would be laughing at the Kings and Gaze for signing this chump!

The real question for the team this season is..
will Lisch be the only that plays Defense!? The returning players didn't last season and neither Gaze or Copeland played defense back in their days and I can only assume it wont be a vocal point this season.

Call me scenicall if you want but I'm a long time frustrated Kings fan who isn't getting lapped up in the hype of a legend Gaze turning the Kings around particularly seeing him in RIO commentating when his focus should have been 100% on preparing the team for the season! But as Ian Stackers article mention, Gaze is all about his business interest which most are conflicting getting in the way of him truly helping the sports grow.

Playing basketball and Coaching basketball is vastly different!!

Reply #597594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that 'scenicall'

Reply #597596 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think 'scenicall' is getting a bit dizzy here. All of a sudden the kings don't care about winning because they signed some Chinese kid to a development spot! Blowing things out of proportion just a bit.

Reply #597597 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah "scenicall", you're not making a lot of sense here with the overreaction for a Dev player... You seriously think the Kings don't want to win it this season with what they've spent both on the court and off? Three players who have been to the Olympics, including last seasons defensive player of the year and a newly built training facility being some big changes from the last few seasons...

I don't expect Bo to get any decent minutes as most people are right, this is more about publicity and trying to link with a large part of the Chinese community to get sponsorships as well as bums on seats, because you know what? That's all part of running a team...

As a long time Kings fan as well, I share your frustration as Gods know, they're certainly given us more than our fair share, especially recently, but I agree with ME, you're blowing things out of proportion... If we didn't have Vikerman back here, I would be more in the vocal concern cammp, but we did, so I'm not too concerned...

More of concern in my opinion, again, is it's how many weeks into pre-season training and we STILL don't have our imports in town?! They should be in this week, but still, that's WAY too late, especially when the team is apparently going over to China for a tour as well? And what about the final two spots? Singing a dev player is all well and good, and I trust JvG to know what he's doing, but still, leaving it all a bit late!

Reply #597600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is this signing "corrupt" and a "conflict of interest", as claimed so far in this thread?

Reply #597601 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Financial Stability > Kings Out of the NBL again

Reply #597603 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I trust JvG to know what he's doing

Big call.

Reply #597611 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Reminds me of the Tigers signing a Chinese player back in 2004 or 2005 ish... never stepped foot on court.

Reply #597613 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

"scenicall" is the most amazing misspelling I have ever seen. Just terrific stuff!

Reply #597645 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

too many SOFT COMMENTERS here who will put up with medicority! Of course IT IS CORRUPT because they just want to sell advertising and corporate support in China, it is nothing to do with THE GAME OF BASKETBALL!!

The wrong people are influencing the kings, no wonder THE NBL IS DYING need to be contenders not pretenders with a strong basketball culture and no acceptance of mediocrity from management or fans!

Then some dope pipes up and says jeff van gundy knows what he is doing!!?? what? As if he would comment on the kings you absolute goober

Reply #597650 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Then some dope pipes up and says jeff van gundy knows what he is doing!!?? what? As if he would comment on the kings you absolute goober
This is fantastic.

You're way more fun than blowout troll ever was.

Reply #597653 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wow, the tripe some come up with.

"Chinese People" (whoever they might be) are not suddenly going to start watching basketball, NBL, or even the Kings, just because of somebody's ethnicity, even if this guy was a gun.

That proposition is completely nonsensical.

I don't know if the NBL product is worth anything to overseas telecasters with slots to fill. Maybe we can sell it to some Chinese pay-tv mob.
In which case packaging it up with the correct language and (Mandarin?) speaking commentators would make a much bigger impact than a couple of token players.

Reply #597655 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ethnicity, sure. Nationality, it's a different story. Look at interest in the NBA go up here when Australian players are in the Finals. The NFL got quite a bit of coverage the year Sav Rocca and Ben Graham faced off for a spot in the Super Bowl.

Having Chinese players would help tremendously in doing a deal with a Chinese broadcaster.

Now, there have to be other reasons as well (in the case of the NFL and NBA, being the premier competition of their respective sports), people aren't going to tune in just for this guy, but it will help interest.

Reply #597656 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This is fantastic.

You're way more fun than blowout troll ever was.

lol... not sure what would be better, if they're like this on purpose, or if they're just like this... NBL is dying? Three Boomers is mediocre? Surely has to be not serious... Ah well, got to take the crazies along with all the bandwagoners this season I guess...

@Dazz, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, as koberulz has said above... We're not saying that it's the be all and end all, you're the only one talking in such absolutes, it's just that it would help... And if comments on Kings social media is anything to go by, it's definitely roused some interest to come to games in people that seem to have otherwise not been interested...

Reply #597659 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am also a big fan of his misuse of CAPITALS because apparently his English teacher thinks it helps ACCENTUATE his POINT

Reply #597660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Of course IT IS CORRUPT because they just want to sell advertising and corporate support in China, "

That isn't what corrupt means...

Reply #597674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, Kings have done the Chinese alignment thing for ever (20years?) and not only that they did Mandarin commentators previously. Kings off to China again soon. Imports I believe arrived yesterday.

Reply #597679 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Mock do you happen to be Australia's #1 collector of NBL memorabilia?

Reply #597681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it. Post is too coherent.

Reply #597684 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

your definition of coherent is generous :)

Reply #597686 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's all relative... Too coherent for him, but not for a 5yr old, for example :)

Reply #597688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie gets it ;)

Reply #597689 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I have a simple, three step process for dealing with posts by Mock (and by Mattic on ozhoops).

1. Don't read them.

Reply #597693 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

I don't know the exact story here although I think Bo Liu is essentially on loan (like soccer).

I believe the Tigers taking him allowed them to play in the SEABL (cost of entering the league compared to bigv).

There must also be benefits for the Kings off court in taking him on the NBL team.

Reply #597696 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha solid advice Freethrows.

Reply #597702 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I have a few pieces king podge but I would hardly call myself the #1 Collector! Are there even any great NBL collectors out there?? I used to have all the Futera cards but accidentally burned them.

Reply #597707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mattic here. Oh dear

Reply #597709 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

are there even any great collectors out there? You call yourself an NBL fan Mock and don't know the NBL's #1 memorabilia collectors and/or Australia's greatest blue light disco DJ??

Shame.... Shame.... Shame.....

Reply #597718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mock actually posted with out any CAPS.

Reply #597720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754