Isaac
Years ago

Khazzouh still a month away from return

Sydney Kings star Julian Khazzouh has suffered another setback, with the NBL power forward's time on the sideline extended by a month.

It is the third time the big man has been forced to postpone a return date on his injured quadricep, forcing the club to sign former NBA player Josh Powell a fortnight ago.

Rookie Kings coach Andrew Gaze said Khazzouh isn't expected to re-join his teammates on the practice court for at least another two weeks.

"Unfortunately his quad has still got a bit of work to do," Gaze said on Tuesday.

"I don't expect him to be back on the court practice environment, where he can actually scrimmage against the players and do those things for a couple of weeks."
Full article

Topic #40151 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

It's a shame, but might make Gaze's life easier too. I would imagine even when healthy, Khazzouh is going to be giving us bench minutes this season.

Reply #604318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As good as he is, he's like antithesis to the way the current Kings are playing.
They are full of aggression, running, hussle and passion.

Reply #604328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree. I'm very interested to see if Khazzouh can slot into the role required of him in this team.

I think he will, given the strength of leadership around him, but his NBL career has generally been a top offensive player on a poor team, rather than an all-around contributor on a good team.

Reply #604331 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I would definitely start JK ahead of Maric.

Defensively Maric probably slightly better but JK will stretch the floor and create space and give them an offensive punch.

I would play him 20 Minutes a Night that is it but defenitely start him and bring Maric and Powell on with the 2nd unit.

Reply #604445 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With the line-up they have at the other spots I think Maric or Powell is definitely the best fit to start at C to give an anchor to the aggressive defence and not require much ball offensively.

Reply #604464 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, it's not like they really need the offensive punch, but the big difference this season so far at least has been on the defensive end... Does Jules have that oomph to do that?

Reply #604501 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'd try Khazzouh out at the 4 spot. Maric or Powell at the 5, to bring the muscle, Khazzouh can take Garlepp's minutes at 4 to start with and see how he goes. It might strengthen them offensively and weaken them defensively, but with Whittington, Newley and Lisch continuing to play big minutes they will remain a strong defensive team regardless.

Reply #604538 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If I'm Drewy, I'm planning a typical minutes spread of something like this:

Maric 20/Powell 20
Whittington 25/Khazzouh 15
Newley 30/Whittington 10
Lisch 30/Cadee 10
Cadee 15/Blake 25

Without checking the box scores, that would be similar to what they already have, except Cadee's mins will reduce to accommodate Blake, Garlepp + Hill make way for Khazzouh and Prewster falls out of the rotation.

Reply #604541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754