Aussie
Years ago

NBL outrated on TV by lawn bowls

Lawn Bowls 33k

Melbourne United v Sydney Kings 28k

Topic #40275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about people who refuse to pay for pay tv but watch it on the app for $5.00 a month. Facts and figures can all mean bull shit.

Reply #607586 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Rubbish. Plenty of A League fans are watching on Foxtel. They are rating anywhere between 50-100k per game.

Reply #607588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget about the ratings! NBL is a minor sport for TV viewing. As long as the product is good, the commentators are positive and talk the league up, and crowds fill the arenas to make the TV coverage look as good as it can be, then those that do watch the sport will be happy.

You will never get 100k tuning in to watch the NBL. Foxtel will have modest expectations anyway so i dont think there is a threat to have the league taken off air.

Plus, the NBL pay for the coverage. Which will continue even if they get 50k tuning in.

Lawn bowls caters for a completely different audience anyway - one that probably doesnt rely on online offerings.

Reply #607589 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Forget about the ratings! NBL is a minor sport for TV viewing. As long as the product is good, the commentators are positive and talk the league up, and crowds fill the arenas to make the TV coverage look as good as it can be, then those that do watch the sport will be happy."

Wow. I'm sure the Sponsors will be convinced by that way of thinking

Reply #607590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie

Does the a league have an app for $5.00 a month. Soccer to me is boring.

Reply #607591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie, I would bet that sponsors would have reasonable expecations of where the league rates on TV. We dont have a massive flood of sponsors anyway.

I remember a Wildcats Breakers grand final recently where only 24k tuned in on channel 10. Historically no one really watches this sport on TV. A shame but thats the reality.

It has never rated well! I would love for it to rate as well as you would, but you always go on about it. Time to accept that its never going to happen.

Reply #607592 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Just to add, yes Kestelman is paying for production costs at the moment.

Will he continue to pay for production (which costs a lot per game mind you) costs for years to come? I sincerely doubt it.

He's happy to fund it at the moment but in future years he wants it to be worth something to sell (ie a broadcaster to pay for the rights).

This is where ratings really do count. If it doesn't rate well, it is worth nothing.

Kestelman is a businessman, not a charity.

Ratings bring in sponsorship, creating the majority of the revenue for the League.

Anyone who says that ratings aren't important, clearly has no idea about how professional sports work

Reply #607593 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Does the a league have an app for $5.00 a month. Soccer to me is boring."

No it doesn't, which makes it look even worse for the NBL.

People are STILL tuning into Foxtel.

I find soccer boring too but it still ourates the NBL by a long way.

Reply #607594 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Zone defence is permitted in lawn bowls and it still rates through the roof, so ... back to the drawing board on that one I guess.

Reply #607595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether Kestleman stays involved in running and funding the league after his 3 years will always be a big question to ask, and nobody knows. As an outside observation however I would predict this commitment will continue beyond the 3 years he has now.

Before Kestleman came in the league was virtually dead anyway. It may as well have not existed.

I find soccer boring too, but basketball still has a long way to go to get to their level of profile.

Give it time - keep in mind the league is still rebuilding from that BA era.

Reply #607596 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

The Aussie market is such that Australians want to see the BEST of the best in the sport.
That is why NRL, AFL rate so high because the best players in the game are playing in this comp (obviously AFL is only payed professionally in Aus).
Super rugby doesnt rate that high compared to tests because the best players arent playing in that contest.

The same goes for A league and NBL. The public know the best players in the world play abroad and not here.

The public is fickle in this way, they only want to watch the best of the best.

Reply #607597 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Before Kestleman came in the league was virtually dead anyway"

Thank you and why? Because there would not have been a renewed television broadcast partner. Why? Because it didn't rate, which destroyed a majority of the revenue. No revenue= no NBL (or any other business for that matter).

Larry has saved the League, no doubt about that and it has cost him millions.

I hope you are right, that he sticks around after the 3 year period is up.

Kerry Stokes stuck around for awhile after the Wildcats were losing ALOT of money.

He eventually got tired of losing money and sold the club to Vlahov and Longley for $1.00 and the had to clear the enormous debt.

I hope things do improve with time. They will need too

Reply #607598 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"The Aussie market is such that Australians want to see the BEST of the best in the sport.
That is why NRL, AFL rate so high because the best players in the game are playing in this comp (obviously AFL is only payed professionally in Aus).
Super rugby doesnt rate that high compared to tests because the best players arent playing in that contest.

The same goes for A league and NBL. The public know the best players in the world play abroad and not here.

The public is fickle in this way, they only want to watch the best of the best."

I understand what you are saying but that is still not strictly true.

The A League ratings aren't huge but they are enough for Foxtel to still pay for the rights.

IF we eventually get to their ratings figures, we will be ok

Reply #607599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was dead because BA saved their pennys and didnt spend a cent on growing the game because they wanted the league to not fall over with heavy (or any) spending. They were in recovery mode. TV wouldnt have been interested in showing a league that BA were serving up.

Kestleman has improved the product 100 times over in less than 2 years thanks to his cash and vision. Yes its not rating great yet but i feel there is still a stigma from the Australian public that the NBL is still crap. This is why im saying that as long as the product is good (which it has been) then thats the best outcome for the game right now.

Rating should hopefilly pick up once people realise that the league is in a better place now than it was under BA.

This is why im not too concerned about ratings (just yet). The product has to be good first. And that part is trending up.

Reply #607601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is not of a high enough standard to command viewers. The Sixers shot 31 % FG last night - that is atrocious, of course no on is switching on to see that.

Reply #607602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there's a big misconception that we're putting out an outstanding product out there. Yes, it's getting better, but on the whole it's still sub-standard. Probably only the Kings and Wildcats are worth turning your TV on at the minute for.

Honestly, Nate Tomlinson is playing big minutes right now. That says enough about the standard and entertainment factor.

Reply #607605 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

This league will be gone in a few years. You think Kestleman is going to continue to lose money on this?

This is a business venture for him. If he cant see he will make a profit, he will dump it and leave.

Reply #607607 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's your point here exactly? Who cares that the NBL rates because it won't be here for long?

A lot of us care about how it rates precisely because we want the NBL to last!

Reply #607627 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Thank you KET

Reply #607631 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I'm not that worried about the ratings as Foxtel will play just about any sport it can get the rights, they won't cut the NBL.
But the product needs fixing to be watchable for the masses, I'm a cats fan but do try and watch the rest of the games when I can but I never last long before switching over.
1- the production is rubbish, from the score board not updating (sometimes for minutes at a time) to the 'what the hell' high corner camera angle for 3-4 trips up the floor. It drives me insane.
2- Ads and replays at critical times. With 1min to go in a tight game I get a replay of the last 30sec and miss the critical action.
3- and most of all. DWAYNE FUCKING RUSSEL!!!! Get rid of this flog!!!! Knows sweet fuck all about basketball. I swear Fox Footy overpaid him and are now trying to find other ways for him to contribute. The moment I hear him commentating I either flick over or mute and stream a radio broadcast.

Reply #607643 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

You must remember though, even if Fox continue to broadcast the NBL, even with poor ratings, it means less sponsorship dollars, less revenue and ultimately, an unviable product

Reply #607652 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

28K is a sizeable improvement on last year's ratings. And I am assuming your comparing lawn bowls on FTA with basketball on Foxtel?

Reply #607663 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, but they don't get a full page in The New York Times like the 36ers (T.Ferguson)

Reply #607694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why Larry is targeting the Chinese audience they are basketball crazy and don't watch lawn bowls

Reply #607697 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"28K is a sizeable improvement on last year's ratings. And I am assuming your comparing lawn bowls on FTA with basketball on Foxtel?"

Nope, both on Foxtel ratings

Reply #607714 | Report this post

Edward  
Years ago

Tempo if you don't like the NBL, maybe get something else in your life instead of constantly posting about how you don't rate it? Nobody cares.

Reply #607743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way lawn bowls gets that many viewers. Goes to show how flawed the ratings metric of Nielsen is.

Reply #607865 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hmmm, lawn bowls was rating close to 200,000 viewers for the World Cup coverage on Saturday afternoons, back in 2011 (http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/08/abc-to-quit-lawn-bowls.html). So I'm not surprised it outrates NBL.

Lawn bowls appeals to a specific demographic that I doubt is interested in watching NBL. That's the same demographic (people aged 35+) that's increased sporting participation by around 150% over the last 20 years (see a recent thread about basketball participation in Australia over the last 25 years). That increase has been almost entirely in sports other than basketball. It's been in sports like lawn bowls, cycling, swimming etc.

I doubt NBL is winning new fans in the 35+ age group at all and it's unlikely ever to win them in large numbers. If someone hasn't become a fan of NBL by 35, then I think the game is too spasmodic and the rules too difficult to discern (from watching games) for most older watchers to get hooked.

Reply #607936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow how full is Australia of boring old white anglos if lawn bowls rates so highly. what a country

Reply #608109 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754