Ricky Diculous
Years ago

NBL MVP Race at this point

Half way through the season now, and much like the league, the MVP Race is looking close.

Newley
Lisch
Randle
Craig
Prather
Trice

Who've you got?

Topic #40377 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Depends how the system works. If it was an AFL Brownlow type system, then Lisch/Newley might cancel each other out.

Although i'd still call Lisch favourite.

Wins tend to garner votes, so perhaps the team that wins the most out of Bullets/Wildcats/36ers/Taipans will dictate who has the fairest chance of knocking Lisch off.

Reply #610772 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Casper Ware...

Reply #610776 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

From Wikipedia: "The National Basketball League Most Valuable Player (MVP) is an annual National Basketball League (NBL) award given since the league's inaugural season to the best performing player of the regular season. Throughout the year, coaching staff from each team vote on the best performing players in every game. The votes are collated and the individual with the most votes is awarded the Most Valuable Player."

Is it a 3, 2, 1 vote for each game?

@KET is right, that Newley and Lisch may cancel each others' votes out somewhat. I think the favourites have to be Lisch, Randle and Prather. On a game by game basis, Lisch and Prather have probably been more consistent than Randle, so I'd look at those two. Second tier would be Newley and Trice, then Craig... nobody else comes screaming to mind at the moment. Goulding may stand a chance if he has a great back half of the season, but missing lots of games will hurt him.

Reply #610779 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Bear, Casper Ware may stand a chance, too, but he's going to have to be really good for the whole of the rest of the season, just because he didn't play in the first 10 games.

Reply #610780 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Randle, Prather, Newley and Lisch stand out so far for mine. Penney has had a few high-vote games so if he gets rolling could be in play. Trice and Goulding are quality but have probably missed too many games.

Reply #610782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Oops, Torrey Craig is the other one obviously in contention, he'd be right up amongst the leaders at this point.

Reply #610783 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, missing games is a killer under the NBL system.
The system also rewards being the best of a bad bunch even in a big loss, so you're definitely favoured by not having too many good teammates. I still like Randle, but Prather has got to be right up there as well. He has been consistently good even when we've played poorly as a team.
Lisch & Newley are playing well enough that sharing votes isn't even going to hurt them that much.
Just depends who can stay healthy and keep up their level of play.

Reply #610784 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Only three players can win it at this stage.I've got Lisch,Newley,Randle in that order to finish at the moment.Prather chances mite cop a whack from here on when Perth will struggle to win games.If i remember rightly AJ polled well last year and finished 4th in voting and Penney polled well also when Lisch won last years MVP.Lisch would have to be favourite at this stage and dont forget Bevo will give him 3's when he plays hawks.Thats 12 votes from Bevo.Lisch did play very well against hawks in there 2 meetings so far.

Reply #610795 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lisch, Penney and Ogilvy all polled pretty well last year, didn't they? Might mean that Lisch and Newley are still in a decent position.

Prather hasn't had consistent competition from Perth teammates.

Reply #610801 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Lisch? He only woke up over the past couple of rounds, nowhere near MVP. Randle should be first, Newley has only looked good in a stacked team.

Randle
Prather
Newley
Lisch
Craig

Reply #611044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trice if he keeps this up and Cairns keep winning.

Prather was superb early but the Wildcats have tailed off. Similar with newley and the Kings.

Reply #611065 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Haven't looked at it in detail, but my gut feel is that Prather would be in front at the moment, closely followed by Randle.

Reply #611369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather wouldn't have polled any votes in the cats loses. He's been outstanding in their wins but average in their losses

Reply #611370 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Prather then Randle, then maybe Newley or Lisch.

Reply #611373 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Craig is a real smokey. The Bullets are playing well and he's consistently one of their standouts at both ends (not that D gets factored into MVP voting too much!), while not too many other teammates are putting up big numbers.

Reply #611377 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Agree with paul. Whilst I think Randle would be in front at this stage, Craig would be up there and probably more worthy than Lisch or Prather.

As a side note, are imports eligible for the most improved player award? You'd think someone like Craig would be a great candidate.

Reply #611381 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"As a side note, are imports eligible for the most improved player award? You'd think someone like Craig would be a great candidate.

Sobey has most improved sewn up, you'd think. Unless he gets injured for the rest of the year.

Reply #611382 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Craig sitting on the bench at Cairns....

Reply #611389 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

11.5, 6 and 1 in 25 mins to 16.4, 9 and 1.5 in 32 mins.
vs
4, 1.5 and 1 in 10 mins to 17.3, 4.8 and 3.1 in 29 mins.

Craig has obviously improved, but Sobey has gone from a bench warmer, to a top 6 scorer in the league.

Reply #611420 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Prather has been outstanding in almost every game, in some of our losses he was the only shining light.
Same with Randle.
If anything, that should improve their votes. The guys who win the MVP tend to be those who stand out in mediocre teams, AND who do it in almost every game. Hence why I'd have Prather & Randle out in front.

Reply #611459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754