Aussie Basketball Travellers Dunk Basketball Uniforms
NBL.TV - get it now!

Ricky Diculous
Last year

NBL MVP Race at this point

Half way through the season now, and much like the league, the MVP Race is looking close.

Newley
Lisch
Randle
Craig
Prather
Trice

Who've you got?

Report this topic

KET
Last year
09:48 2 Dec 16

Reply #610772

re: MVP Race

Depends how the system works. If it was an AFL Brownlow type system, then Lisch/Newley might cancel each other out.

Although i'd still call Lisch favourite.

Wins tend to garner votes, so perhaps the team that wins the most out of Bullets/Wildcats/36ers/Taipans will dictate who has the fairest chance of knocking Lisch off.

Report this post

Bear
Last year
09:53 2 Dec 16

Reply #610776

Casper Ware...

Report this post

Freethrows
Last year
09:59 2 Dec 16

Reply #610779

From Wikipedia: "The National Basketball League Most Valuable Player (MVP) is an annual National Basketball League (NBL) award given since the league's inaugural season to the best performing player of the regular season. Throughout the year, coaching staff from each team vote on the best performing players in every game. The votes are collated and the individual with the most votes is awarded the Most Valuable Player."

Is it a 3, 2, 1 vote for each game?

@KET is right, that Newley and Lisch may cancel each others' votes out somewhat. I think the favourites have to be Lisch, Randle and Prather. On a game by game basis, Lisch and Prather have probably been more consistent than Randle, so I'd look at those two. Second tier would be Newley and Trice, then Craig... nobody else comes screaming to mind at the moment. Goulding may stand a chance if he has a great back half of the season, but missing lots of games will hurt him.

Report this post

Freethrows
Last year
10:00 2 Dec 16

Reply #610780

@Bear, Casper Ware may stand a chance, too, but he's going to have to be really good for the whole of the rest of the season, just because he didn't play in the first 10 games.

Report this post

paul
Last year
10:06 2 Dec 16

Reply #610782

Randle, Prather, Newley and Lisch stand out so far for mine. Penney has had a few high-vote games so if he gets rolling could be in play. Trice and Goulding are quality but have probably missed too many games.

Report this post

paul
Last year
10:06 2 Dec 16

Reply #610783

Oops, Torrey Craig is the other one obviously in contention, he'd be right up amongst the leaders at this point.

Report this post

Luuuc
Last year
10:12 2 Dec 16

Reply #610784

Yeah, missing games is a killer under the NBL system.
The system also rewards being the best of a bad bunch even in a big loss, so you're definitely favoured by not having too many good teammates. I still like Randle, but Prather has got to be right up there as well. He has been consistently good even when we've played poorly as a team.
Lisch & Newley are playing well enough that sharing votes isn't even going to hurt them that much.
Just depends who can stay healthy and keep up their level of play.

Report this post

Johnson
Last year
11:18 2 Dec 16

Reply #610795

Only three players can win it at this stage.I've got Lisch,Newley,Randle in that order to finish at the moment.Prather chances mite cop a whack from here on when Perth will struggle to win games.If i remember rightly AJ polled well last year and finished 4th in voting and Penney polled well also when Lisch won last years MVP.Lisch would have to be favourite at this stage and dont forget Bevo will give him 3's when he plays hawks.Thats 12 votes from Bevo.Lisch did play very well against hawks in there 2 meetings so far.

Report this post

Isaac
Last year
11:28 2 Dec 16

Reply #610801

re: NBL MVP Race at this point

Lisch, Penney and Ogilvy all polled pretty well last year, didn't they? Might mean that Lisch and Newley are still in a decent position.

Prather hasn't had consistent competition from Perth teammates.

Report this post

Pelican
Last year
17:45 3 Dec 16

Reply #611044

Lisch? He only woke up over the past couple of rounds, nowhere near MVP. Randle should be first, Newley has only looked good in a stacked team.

Randle
Prather
Newley
Lisch
Craig

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
18:32 3 Dec 16

Reply #611065

Trice if he keeps this up and Cairns keep winning.

Prather was superb early but the Wildcats have tailed off. Similar with newley and the Kings.

Report this post

Dazz
Last year
01:29 5 Dec 16

Reply #611369

Haven't looked at it in detail, but my gut feel is that Prather would be in front at the moment, closely followed by Randle.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
02:02 5 Dec 16

Reply #611370

Prather wouldn't have polled any votes in the cats loses. He's been outstanding in their wins but average in their losses

Report this post

LV
Last year
07:48 5 Dec 16

Reply #611373

Prather then Randle, then maybe Newley or Lisch.

Report this post

paul
Last year
08:16 5 Dec 16

Reply #611377

Craig is a real smokey. The Bullets are playing well and he's consistently one of their standouts at both ends (not that D gets factored into MVP voting too much!), while not too many other teammates are putting up big numbers.

Report this post

Wilson Sting
Last year
08:55 5 Dec 16

Reply #611381

Agree with paul. Whilst I think Randle would be in front at this stage, Craig would be up there and probably more worthy than Lisch or Prather.

As a side note, are imports eligible for the most improved player award? You'd think someone like Craig would be a great candidate.

Report this post

Hendo8888
Last year
09:07 5 Dec 16

Reply #611382

"As a side note, are imports eligible for the most improved player award? You'd think someone like Craig would be a great candidate.

Sobey has most improved sewn up, you'd think. Unless he gets injured for the rest of the year.

Report this post

Camel 31
Last year
10:13 5 Dec 16

Reply #611389

Craig sitting on the bench at Cairns....

Report this post

Hendo8888
Last year
13:01 5 Dec 16

Reply #611420

11.5, 6 and 1 in 25 mins to 16.4, 9 and 1.5 in 32 mins.
vs
4, 1.5 and 1 in 10 mins to 17.3, 4.8 and 3.1 in 29 mins.

Craig has obviously improved, but Sobey has gone from a bench warmer, to a top 6 scorer in the league.

Report this post

Dazz
Last year
14:40 5 Dec 16

Reply #611459

Prather has been outstanding in almost every game, in some of our losses he was the only shining light.
Same with Randle.
If anything, that should improve their votes. The guys who win the MVP tend to be those who stand out in mediocre teams, AND who do it in almost every game. Hence why I'd have Prather & Randle out in front.

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Red 42

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Liam Flynn - basketball coaching and consulting
NBL.TV - Your team, live and free!

Recent Posts

NBL.TV - Your team, anytime, anywhere. Live and free*.

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Mon 20 Feb 2017 | Posts: 651,292 | Last 7 days: 2,151