Anonymous
Years ago

Was that jaron Johnson's break out game

Even though he's scored more points in other games I felt that was his best game. Great all around contribution in the second half. Most importantly he was aggressive without being out of control.

Funnily enough it was prather who needed to be a bit better.

But if Johnson and McKay can keep playing like this there may be hope yet

Topic #40390 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd be loath to judge any players on games against the Sixers. Plenty of limited players have looked like world beaters against us.

Reply #611233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not play down the Sixers too much. They've beaten Sydney and Brisbane away in one week, so they're decent.

Reply #611235 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We're still giving up 90+ppg in 80 min games. It's not our defense that's winning us our games.

Reply #611239 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

80min games ?

Reply #611241 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd be loath to judge any players on games against the Sixers. Plenty of limited players have looked like world beaters against us.

^ This.

Reply #611242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide ARE NOT decent. Im an avid 36er fan have been for years and what was served up in that 4th quarter against a roster of shit, is unacceptable. Offensive rebounds corner 3 after corner 3, AT HOME disgusting. As for Johnson, no he is not up to it, Adelaide simply are not able to contain anyone.

Reply #611243 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Reply #611248 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Defence wins championships

Reply #611249 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I do think that Adelaide should have locked that game up by 20. The Perth Wildcats are basically a skeleton of their regular selves right now, so this win should not be seen as the equivalent of actually beating the Perth Wildcats in any other scenario.

As for Johnson, I don't see why this question is being asked. He has regularly contributed to his team. The problem is that he isn't the right player for them. But that is not going to be addressed now. They already have too much egg on their faces about dropping him and picking him back up in the first place. Barring a miracle, I don't see Perth in the playoffs. And despite a successful week I don't see the Sixers in there either.

Reply #611260 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

the league is inconsistent guys get over it, 36ers are as good as any other team outside 1st place. You're not watching the league if you think they aren't as decent as anyone from 2 - 7 , they could finish 2 or 8th at this point as could anyone bar the Kings.

Reply #611263 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

No team has really broken out, we all thought Sydney would run away with it when they were 8-4, now they're potentially looking at dropping out of first place. All teams have shown dominance at times against top teams. 36ers beating Sydney at home was incredibly impressive as was the response against Brisbane to keep their season alive. Cairns have looked better. Illawarra look set for a win streak but who knows, that could change in this inconsistent league.

The problem with having loaded talent in a team is that all of the talent doesn't get enough minutes (seems to be the case with Sydney at times).

it appears now Lisch and Newley are carrying Sydney, Randle and DJ at times carrying the Sixers, Craig keeping the Bullets alive etc. teams are relying too much on big performances rather than entire team efforts to win.

I am sick of seeing this full-court press it makes for horrible scrappy basketball and weak defensive lapses, leading to easy buckets and wide open players. The Sixers are abysmal defending beyond the arc, that is why I cannot see them ever beating Illawarra again this year.

Reply #611267 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

JJ is a good player. In a team where he only had to play the 3, he would thrive, but he's not at his best when he puts the ball on the floor and consequently doesn't handle defence well. It should therefore surprise nobody that he did better against the 6's.

Reply #611271 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Jaron Johnson is so inconsistant,one good game three bad games.Watch the trash he dishes out in next two or three games.Perth will be in last place after this round is completed if Melbourne defeat Breakers.They also have a tough stretch with a heap of away games in next five weeks.There next home game is 14th Jan because the tennis is using the venue.Don't like there chances to make playoffs and i hope i'm right.

Reply #611279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pelican adelaide are not as good as the teams around them. Their style won't win finals games, they have no set offenses and refuse to play defame. Streaky yes, solid no.

Reply #611280 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It WAS interesting to read the big backpage article, suggesting we ditch him again, on the morning before he had one of his better games.

It's certainly a curly one.
If you look at the guys we've had in the 2 spot, over recent years, Lisch and Beal, and how that has worked, JJ just isn't a good fit.
I think he's improving, and will continue to get better, but at this stage you'd have to predict that next season it will be him OR Prather, not both.

I think getting Damo back will make a big difference, but will that be enough?

If the Cats had the money, replacing JJ with a gun would be nice. But do they have the money, and can they stomach the fiasco associated with sacking him again???

Reply #611687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so. Not when he just put up 18pts 7 rebs 4 ast 2 stls in essentially a half.

Better to persist with him and hope you can bring this type of performance out regularly than risk bringing in someone else who may or may not be better. You could only replace him with a surefire gun who is a known quantity and I doubt there's many of those around at this point

Reply #611696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754