LC
Years ago

2016 FIBA U18 Oceania Championships preview

The region's best young talent will clash this week in Fiji, at the 2016 FIBA Under-18 Oceania Championships. The winner of the eight-team (seven on the men’s bracket) competition will punch their ticket to next year’s U19 World Championships in Egypt.

2016 FIBA U18 Oceania Championships preview

After winning gold in both the men and women’s tournaments two years ago, Australia will be hoping to defend their crowns. However, a lofty challenge from New Zealand awaits, as numerous Aussies that would have participated in the championships are currently in America playing college basketball.

FIBA will live stream every game from the event on their YouTube page, with the first slate of group stage contests starting 5 December, with the gold medal match on 10 December.

Topic #40394 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Gems win first game 125-5! Forced Tahiti into 50 turnovers...

Reply #611395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shows how relevant the event is

Reply #611414 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Emus won 95-14. The Kiwis will given them a run for their money.

Reply #611431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few things always reveal themselves at FIBA Oceania juniors.

1. Only two teams can ever win through to the final.
2. It is a great opportunity for the small island nations to play against AUS and NZ, they get a huge buzz and we all need to acknowledge this.
3. Oceania should get two teams through to worlds, because it is obvious that NZ is catching up and almost as good as AUS but they only get one chance to get through.
4. Both AUS and NZ are ranked much higher in basketball, than say soccer, the game needs a boost here and allowing two teams through would aid this.

Reply #611472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think both Aus teams are in trouble.

Reply #611477 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

New Zealand women beat Guam 132-18.

Reply #611496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for reporting on the live stats LC

Reply #611498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walker, Clarke, jillings, reed, Whittaker was nz starting lineup.
Cubillo, Shelley, Horvat, Bibby, Magbegor was Aus starting lineup.

Reply #611499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could be the next LC - how did Simmons go?

Reply #611502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons - 9mins, 9 pts, 4 rbds, 2 asts, 2 stls.

Reply #611504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, that was a trick question, she is at home injured

Reply #611505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just took it from Stat sheet...

I'm guessing its ogler then?

Reply #611506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I was saying, the next LC

Reply #611508 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am just gonna throw an idea out there, I love the fact that we give these island nations a platform to participate at the international level, but I wonder if the competitiveness or lack of it is compromising the whole thing these days.

My idea is that the island nations combine their best players into say four teams for each of the men and women, to maybe at least offer the Aussies and Kiwis some harder games.

From memory players can come from quite a few island nations that include:

Tahiti
Fiji
Tonga
Samoa
New Caledonia
Guam
American Samoa
French Polynesia

There may be others, I am only suggesting that they may be able to pool some of their players and give themselves more confidence in the games against the big two especially...

Reply #611661 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I also think it sucks that either one of the Kiwis or the Aussies have to miss out on worlds, I think Oceania should get two through because we have proven ourselves good enough by far and the Kiwis are not that far away from us these days...

Reply #611662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't be long till both go through.
When we join with the Asian region, they'll be I think 4-5 spots available.
China, Japan and Korea with Australia and New Zealand.

Reply #611666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combing every Pacific Island into one team is a wast of time - still couldn't compete in a decent domestic competition unfortunatley.

Reply #611674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combining*

Reply #611675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think the Emus will have a real challenge against NZ. This is based only on a brief look at the two side's respective blowouts in this tournament, but while Australia may have an edge in length/athleticism, NZ look to have a few more players comfortable putting the ball on the floor. Will be interesting ...

Reply #611870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754