Bogut called out for stupidity
This might all seem preposterous, except that during the American presidential election campaign, a cartel of fake news sites came up with a most fabulous conspiracy about how Hillary Clinton and her gang were running a child trafficking ring out of a pizzeria in Washington DC, a story that was quickly validated in the post-truth void of social media, and was given a mighty push along when Bogut, among others, authenticated it, tweeting that where there was so much smoke - all out of a smoke machine, remember – there must be fire, and "if only 1% of this #pizzagate scandal is true, all people involved deserve life in prison (or worse). #sick".Read the article
Put another way, if 1 per cent of a story fits with your outlook on the world, the other 99 per cent doesn't matter. We've all been guilty. #tick.
When social media users challenged Bogut about the origins the story, and pointed out that fact-checking sites that had completely discredited it, he mocked mainstream media, and poured scorn on fact-checking sites, and so we quickly reached the point where all pedlars of fake news have to do is to accuse the mainstream of being the true pedlars of fake news and, hey presto, there you have it, equivalence, without a fact in sight.