Messiah
Years ago

William McDowell-White to Sydney?

After being found ineligible to play college hoops the 6'5 guard could be headed to Sydney in the coming days. With the Kings being heavily reliant on Cadee and Lisch in the backcourt they would definitely benefit from McDowell-White's size, athleticism, unselfishness and two-way ability.

Topic #40560 | Report this topic

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

Sounds awesome. Any sources on this or are you just hoping that it's gonna happen?

Reply #615188 | Report this post

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

Obviously he's a good player, but is he NBL level?

Reply #615189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Betting on Adelaide. Joey and fresno coach are former teammates at Texas and a big reason he was originally committed there.

Reply #615190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with you anon, he should end up at adelaide

Reply #615192 | Report this post

Messiah  
Years ago

Shane Heal mentioned it this morning on Fox Sports

Reply #615194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was he ineligible?

Reply #615196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide becoming the home for ineligible college players?

Reply #615197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's working for them so far

Reply #615199 | Report this post

Messiah  
Years ago

Academic reasons apparently

Reply #615200 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

That's one thing about Fearney, he gets all the good college Aussies but doesn't know what to do with them.

Steindl
Sobey
Maynard
Young

Off the top of my head.

Reply #615205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to steindl?

Reply #615222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl is playing in europe, playing well too

Reply #615224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings it is.

Reply #615228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope he can understand the shuffle. ::))

Reply #615236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh BTW, he is a DP.

Reply #615237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FB says "...Development Player for the remainder of the season due to a season-ending injury for Tony Tolovae."

Reply #615238 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Maynard.
Good.

Pick one.

Reply #615282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Ok. Don't forget everyone still remembers who you are Ingles13.

Reply #615327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats disappointing. He should have focused on his academics eligibility instead of listening to people who told he was an NBA prospect.

Reply #615371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^absolutely correct......ego far outweighs ability for many due to those who surround them trying to exoediate a career

Reply #615382 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Who's ingles13?

Reply #615385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is his agent? Or did he sign with no agent?

Reply #615400 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The press released stated he signed as a development player to keep his college eligibility open for next season and pretty sure if you sign an agent that is deemed as turning pro so unlikely he did.

Reply #615402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will he get many minutes?

Reply #615408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I thought you weren't allowed to play with pros at all?

Reply #615436 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Angus Glover has hit the court with the Hawks this season and will play at St Marys next season I believe.

I think the rule is that you cant be paid.

Reply #615440 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Paid or sign an agent I think

Reply #615450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he has left Fresno, which means he must have failed school in LA.
So he still ineligible next year.

Reply #615455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kenyon going to college?

Where's Fullarton headed?

Reply #615458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenyon not going.He was 2016 class.

Reply #615460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you have left college you can't return, even if he's not played, he needed to get his academic up to scratch which is t really that hard as a freshman, so if he's failed that and left then he can kiss any USA college gig away.

Reply #615488 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

Quite a few opinions above on whether William McDW would be able to play NBL for the remainder of this season and then be eligible to head to College in Fall 2017. I do not know anything abut his particular situation other than what has been published on the internet. On what I can see it seems to me that he has a number of issues to consider if he wants to play NCAA next season:

1. Playing on Professional Team - High School graduates can play on a professional team without affecting their eligibility as long as they are not paid above expenses and only play prior to commencing full-time tertiary studies. I believe WMcDW has been at a post-grad Prep school and has not started College so he should be ok on this

2. He cant appoint an agent to represent him and remain amateur

3. Delayed Enrolment - I cant find when/where he graduated High School but if it was Dec 2015 then I would think that he will lose a season of competition due to the delay in attending College

4. Further to above if he plays any organised competition after 1 year after High School graduation or after the time when his high school cohort graduated (whichever is the earliest) then he will also have to redshirt his first year in College

5. The academic issues that prevented him attending Fresno State still need to be addressed - whatever they are - SAT or GPA or Core-courses or graduating HS?

Hopefully is fully aware of his situation and his options for his basketball development and he get on with whatever he wants to do. He looks to be a real talent especially given he is only 18.

Academic eligibility should not be a problem for the vast majority of Aust high school students if managed properly. However the planning needs to start in year 9 and unfortunately there are some players who discover too late (ie yr 11 or 12) that they will not be eligible and the college story ends.

Reply #615554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he was at a prep grad school, he needs to have graduated through there to be eligible for college as that then becomes the stepping stone from high school .
If they don't graduate they are not eligible to apply for college, he can't then go back to his Aussie high school achievements.
Does not matter how good a player he may be the NCAA are very clear on academics.
As a development player in the NBL coming from Queensland to Sydney his expenses probably would have to be covered so again that would make him ineligible for college scholarship.
They can play/train but they cannot be paid nor sign anything but an amateur contract, which means no agent as you said^

Reply #615566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Articles in Murdock press in Sydney and Melbourne say he's going back to college at Nbl seasons end. Promise the exact opposite will happen then. :)

Reply #615585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats Murdoch mate

Reply #615610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened between Blake and Gaze?
The team structures shows signs of falling over and changing once he left..

Have the players had enough of Gaze and Blake was able to highlight it?

Word is $400000 per season for Gaze and $150000 for Lanard.. Massive money..

Reply #615719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have long held suspicions about the integrity of the NCAA rules. They make a big song and dance about it, but there always seems to be a convenient loophole, or way around something.

Despite all its protestations to the contrary, College sports is a multi-billion dollar industry. It is professional in all but name only. The big name college teams effectively have a bigger budget than some professional leagues.

They want and need the best athletes to come and play in the college system. Last thing they wnat to see is the young stars bypassing their system altogether.

Reply #616542 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754