Dazz
Years ago

Have the Snakes been Screwed by the league?

I have great admiration for Cairns. Despite being obviously one of the poorer teams, they have done incredibly well on a tight budget, and been very successful. They should be admired as a successful model for a lean, community supported, team.

Despite claims by some that part of LK's promise was to prop-up the poorer teams, we saw pretty quickly what his attitude was towards the Crocs.
Now I have to wonder if he has the Snakes in his sights?

I laughed when somebody claimed the NBL would only allow two teams in Qld. Didn't take long, did it.
Now there is talk of Chinese-backed team on the Gold Coast...

Thing is, the promise of the expanded soft-cap, was that the tax would be re-distributed to the poorer teams to compensate. That should have kept Cairns competitive.
But the tax has not even been collected yet, and one article I read suggested there was no guarantee that the money would be directly re-distributed.

It's always been obvious that teams like Perth, NZ, and lately MU had more money to splash around. But Cairns did well with what they had, and the points cap kept things almost fair.

I'm just worried that with the amounts now being spent by teams like Sydney, MU, and Brissy, Cairns are being left behind? For once Perth aren't the leading spender, but when things got tough they had the money to go shopping.

Without a guarantee of money from the tax, paid in time to be beneficial, how long can they keep up?

Topic #40594 | Report this topic

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

No Dazz, they haven't. Please go back too talking about the Wildcats, you clearly don't know much about the other teams in the league.

:)

Reply #616264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL have stated timeframes that the luxury tax had to be calculated, paid, then redistributed and have actually exceeded those timeframes, then you could have a point.

They haven't undertaken to any of these tasks by X Date.

I can imagine the player salaries are a moving value with players going, injured or coming in.

Therefore it is conceivable that the luxury tax can only be calculated when the season is finished, thereby giving an accurate picture of how much was paid against the soft cap.

Reply #616266 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

The Taipans were screwed by the league's decision to move the NYE game though, that was the one game a year when they'd have every seat sold out at full price. I can accept that games need to be moved for TV but they should've been allowed to retain that one.

Reply #616273 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This was discussed fairly recently back when Gaze made a silly comment about the cap which was apparently taken out of context or misquoted or something.

The NBL clarified and Anon has the point, decision on taxation and distribution will be after the point that player movement stops (I think it was either at the end of the regular season or something a rather). The important part I guess is it's just not going to work while there's player movement.

How it is to be distributed will be interesting though.

But I don't believe the NBL is trying to kill off Cairns. I don't think they'll find ways to make life hard either.

I think Townsville had it coming, although it's understandably disappointing for those living there and even for those like me who have nostalgia of them being a talented competitive side back in the Stacker era late 90's/early 000's.

Reply #616274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Taipans do have own exclusive rights to the NYE game, no one does.

The fact that the NYE game is the only one they can sell out on is an indictment on the Taipans.

Reply #616275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* The Taipans do NOT own exclusive rights to the NYE game, no one does.

Reply #616277 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's nice having an "event" which you can do well though.

Like the Strikers and NYE, MCG and Boxing Day, Adelaide and Day-nighters, Australia Day ODI/T20 etc.

Cairns NYE and United boxing day are nice traditions to keep and it appears a success when it comes to ticket sales. It becomes

Reply #616279 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

'The fact that the NYE game is the only one they can sell out is an indictment on the Taipans.'

Time for another Anonymous FACT CHECKign: the Taipans avg, and have done so for the past few season a higher % of stadium occupancy than any other team in the league outside of Western Australia.

The Taipans volunteered to take the game when no one else wanted it and thus it had become part of the NYE fabric in the city. Brisbane got 3 people and a donkey to the NYE game..... so that screws the Taipans out of a gate $$ and reflects poorly on the league.

There's no contract saying the ANZAC day game needs to go to the Pies and Bombers, but it worked back in 95' and it's become part of those teams' season.

Given the number of mid week games - which are harder to sell out and the early away games, the league's scheduler has done Cairns no favours. I'd stop short of saying we've been screwed, I just think the NBL has other pressing priorities. If the 'luxury tax' etc stuff doesn't eventuate as planned, then the dial moves into the 'getting screwed' territory.

Reply #616280 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

part of their identity on the fixture.

Reply #616281 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

What's the average crowd numbers in Cairns this season? Anyone knows?

Reply #616283 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think they're getting screwed by the league but the NYE game has been a big deal for the Taipans for a while now and they should've been allowed to keep it going.

Reply #616286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Time for another Anonymous FACT CHECK"

There's no need, I never suggested Cairns had a low percentage turn out. I was responding to "that was the one game a year when they'd have every seat sold out at full price"

"Brisbane got 3 people and a donkey to the NYE game..... so that screws the Taipans out of a gate $$ and reflects poorly on the league. "

Brisbane's poor gate receipts on that event screwed over themselves. Not sure how you feel Brissie ticket receipts would somehow go to Cairns or 'screws' them over.
The game was already scheduled outside of Cairns so whatever happened had no impact on Cairn's bottom line.

"There's no contract saying the ANZAC day game needs to go to the Pies and Bombers, but it worked back in 95' and it's become part of those teams' season. "

ANZAC day has significant cultural and historical value, the clash is something organised by Essendon with Collingwood and the RSL. The NYE game is the Cairns Taipans expecting to make money.
See the difference?

"I'd stop short of saying we've been screwed"

I'm glad we agree on this.

"If the 'luxury tax' etc stuff doesn't eventuate as planned, then the dial moves into the 'getting screwed' territory."

We don't even have any clarity on how the luxury tax will be pooled then distributed, how do we know what the calculation will be undertaken?

Reply #616288 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's not a fair way to distinguish ANZAC Day for Essendon collingwood and NYE for cairns. They're both big events to each club.

Adelaideans would understand this with the way we like to rally around our nye strikers match and cricket daynighter. We like to own it, make it our own little spot. It's iconic.

It's also what Melbourne does with boxing day, they're iconic for it with United open air game and the MCG cricket.

It's a nice thing which means a lot and is usually successful.

Reply #616292 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I get the feeling a few teams will be screwed by the NBL with the tax on salaries exceeding the soft cap. This 'independent contract review committee' will surely determine a contract's value by individual/team performance over the course of the season. So Sydney -- which has spent a bucket load on players -- won't be hit as hard because they've underperformed.

Can anyone shed any light on why the NBL chose or would choose this 'review committee' route, rather than basing it on actual contract values (which actually seems fair)?

Reply #616293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Dazz, the taipans messed up by spending too much on Jawai, who is even less effective than he was for the cats last season

Reply #616294 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anonymous.... i guess i'm going to have to spell it out.

Losing the NYE game DOES affect the bottom line because 1) it's an event that does sell out for more easily than other nights, because of the occasion. You can't just miraculously conjure an event that brings thousands of people into the CBD. You lose that gate revenue along with F&B revenue. It matters that Brisbane had poor attendance because it was basically guaranteed revenue for the Taipans - every cent matters to a regional team FYI..

The Anzac day clash is so culturally significant that it's only been running since 95'....... and yes they do a great job commemorating ANZAC day, but it was also an opportunity to take advantage of the extra crowds who were in the city. It didn't hurt that Ruxton was a Pie's supporter either. The AFL aren't playing it as a good will event, even if that is the facade they paint, they are doing it because it also makes them a shit load of money.

Reply #616298 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

"No Dazz, the taipans messed up by spending too much on Jawai, who is even less effective than he was for the cats last season"

- except, and here's the kicker, they didn't..........

Reply #616301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anonymous.... i guess i'm going to have to spell it out. Losing the NYE game DOES affect the bottom line.."

Yes, I already understood that when I stated "The game was already scheduled outside of Cairns so whatever happened had no impact on Cairn's bottom line."

I was coming back to your statement that "Brisbane got 3 people and a donkey to the NYE game..... so that screws the Taipans out of a gate $$"
Cairns did NOT lose gate receipts because Brisbane got "3 people and a donkey to the NYE game". The Brisbane attendance was way after the decision was made not to give Cairns the NYE game.

"The Anzac day clash is so culturally significant that it's only been running since 95'"
Which is 4 years longer than the Taipans have even existed.

"The AFL aren't playing it as a good will event, even if that is the facade they paint, they are doing it because it also makes them a shit load of money. "
At least the AFL have a defendable 'facade', Cairns (and their fans) seem to have this sense of entitlement that the NYE game is theirs and theirs only because it was given to us last few years (and oh...I want money).
Podge, Cairns have had a damned good run of the NYE game, take this as a bonus in advance and be gracious when it is shared around.

Reply #616312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone care to confirm whether Jawai's entire contract is paid by the club? I've rumours otherwise.

Reply #616313 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

*sigh* sure Anon.

Reply #616314 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

there's a reason my some people post as Anonymous rather than under an identifiable tag ( even if they run more than 1

its because they know thier points are mostly trolling, and they don't want their next set of trolling posts to be identified with the last lot of trolling posts , and thus simply be ignored.

sad really.

like walking around with a bag over your head , not because you are a dangerous dude about to do a hold up - but because you just don't want people recognising you and laughing .., works well do you think ?

Reply #616316 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha Very Old, you are also very wise. Well said.

Reply #616319 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

All the excuses being made about calculating the tax, basically assume we're stuck in the 1950's with an abacus, and completely ignore the whole point of the system.

I FMD, if I look hard enough, there's probably "an App for that." Any boob with a spreadsheet could calculate the tax on a daily/ weekly/ monthly basis.
And an end-of-season reconciliation would take 5 minutes. Saying we can't calculate the tax until after the season is basically over is a monumental, asinine, cop-out.

Even if the league only counted on, and required the clubs to pay, say 75% on a monthly basis, that would be something.

And as I said, all these objections overlook the fundamental stated aim of the system.
It was SUPPOSED to make the league fairer. How is it fair if Sydney are out-spending Cairns 2:1, and nothing is being done to even it out? How are they supposed to compete when they're not getting the money promised, and in fact have no guarantee they ever will?

As for all the retard trying to blame Cairns, what a joke. Cairns are arguable the mostly financially responsible team in the league. Take away the huge buckets of cash Sydney and MU are getting from their owners, then come back and talk.

Lastly, there is a HUGE inherent danger in all this, and given the history of the NBL and its teams, its entirely probable.
Remember the fiasco in 95?
The Giants massively breeched the cap, got handed a record fine by the NBL, then plead poverty because they had no money left?

What happens in a few years time, when Sydney receive their annual retrospective tax bill, and then can't pay because their American owner has got sick of tipping money in?

That said, I hope the NBL will open a restaurant or pub in Perth. You eat and drink all you want, and they don't even send you a bill for 6 months.

Reply #616320 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Taipans have had a great Dec-2016 draw it's there fault that they have blown it losing to Adelaide/United/Sydney at home.

But anyway, even if the NBL does want to screw the Taipans and boot this regional team does it really matter? The NBL is a business for LK who wants to make a profit and if he has no interest in regional teams, then so be it, he's the owner. Talk the NBL would like a Nth QLD side(the name would be called Nth QLD) and Townsville and Cairns would share home games most played in Townsville but under the banner "Nth QLD" like the Cowboys NRL side. The word Nth QLD is more expansive to a wider audience. Like NZ Breakers they say not Auckland Breakers.

But yep if LK really wants a Chinese side instead of the Taipans I say does it really matter? LK wants to make money and a profit, he's the owner he has every right to screw teams over if he doesn't want them in his league as the owner. He won't screw the Kings over etc, as they are a big city team.

The Hawks are now basically a 2nd sydney team(Gong is almost past tot sydney now and will be seen as totally a part of sydney in reality by 2030)

Regional teams mostly only head to the cemetery in the NBL, the the Cairns Taipans simply might join them soon in the "NBL Cemetery".

Reply #616321 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

well said Dazz.

Reply #616322 | Report this post

GTS  
Years ago

Re Nathans contract l know his original starting price was 250K as Beecroft and Fearne were running around to major sponsors Cairns council and the Kenfrost group looking for dollars. lm unsure what final dollar figure he ended up at

Reply #616326 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Jawai has been employed by the Qld state govt. to be an ambassador for the Taipans Indigineous Program with the idea being there may be future work for him in this area when his playing career comes to an end. I understand that overall (Taipans plus state govt) he is getting $250K+ .

Reply #616332 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why does NBL allow MEL to host games at the netball centre? We all know it's because of the tennis, but IMO that's not a good enough excuse. Doesn't MEL have another venue that can host at least 5000? What's the point of the NBL supporting the big city teams if they can only host 3500 people. Yet on the other had they're happy to take away a game from CNS which sells out the 5500 seat stadium?

My understanding was they gave the regional teams the NYE games because at the big cities people were more interested in attending NYE celebrations somewhere. But the two-faced approach of giving ILL their NYE game and taking it away from CNS does lean into the 'getting screwed' category, or at least 'showing favouritism to others' category.

Re. the luxury tax, my contact has said that it is sorted out at the end of the season and the money made available to spend next season. We'll wait and see how they pans out though, I'm sure the NBL will have a way of forgetting about it, especially if SYD, MEL or BNE don't win.

Reply #616333 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Brisbane still sold out their NYE game

Reply #616334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kingpodge.....yes they did, A portion was paid toward his role in the indigenous community but the taipans still had to pay a significant amount towards his salary as the cats made a bigger offer than the taipans had the ability to match.

Reply #616336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha is that a made up figure twinkletoes? The whole package is far more than that

Reply #616337 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

well done to BNE for selling out their 4000 seat venue.

Reply #616338 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

"haha is that a made up figure twinkletoes? The whole package is far more than that"

I'm well aware of that, which is why put in the + .

Reply #616341 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Jawai aint close to $250k, and you'd be surprised at what the state gov is... or isn't providing.

And just a reminder that until the league/PA work out a transparency deal, salary info is still confidential and it's illegal to disclose it.

Reply #616344 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Confidential is as confidential does, but illegal to disclose it? Really?

Embarrassing, maybe. Unethical, maybe, but illegal? On what legal ground? Might be a civil case if one of the parties to the salary arrangements was found to have disclosed the detail but I struggle to come to terms with 'illegal' in this context.

However, I'm open to being educated.

Reply #616347 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

To the comments from people that think LK doesnt care about Cairns and would like to see them gone:

There is no way LK would want to lose Cairns. They are far too valuable to the league. Dont worry that they are a small regional team, they do their bit to ensure the league is a high standard - they draw near full houses to each home game, and they're profile in the Cairns community is very high. Plus they engage far better than other teams and seem to be well liked in the community.

They are far bigger and more prosperous than Townville were in the last few years. You cant compare the two franchises, they were so different.

Also remember that Australia only has 4 big market cities. We arent the US, so unless you have 8 teams out of Melbourne or Sydney, then you have to have regional teams - if just to fill out the number of teams to the current minimum of 8.

Even the bigger and fancier A-League and Big Bash have regional teams. I think Cairns are safe and would only fold on their own accord (like Townsville). Not because the league would rather a team from china and is doing their best to squeeze them out. ts a stretch.

Reply #616348 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Make that 5 big cities (not 4) - Syd, Mel, Ade, Bri, Per.

Reply #616350 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well, the average Hoops poster isn't going to be familiar with the nuances of law - I think what kingpodge means is the NBL does not have the legal right to release information while it is confidential.

If the NBL tried to, it could face a contract/IR or fairwork dispute.

But indeed, it is not a criminal matter and therefore not "illegal".

Reply #616352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Cairns is also a tourism destination - and given the NBL is a summer league there is that market of attracting tourists to the games.

Dare I say, plenty from the Asian market - the people who are becoming very relevant to LK's plans for the NBL. In part, this may also be the reason for the Gold Coast/Chinese concept.

Not only is Cairns a competent regional business model, it's actually could be an important part of the NBL's strategy going into the future.

Reply #616353 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Pop from what i recall it's all covered in the privacy act of 1988, as well as the 2009 Fair Work Act. Some states also have additional privacy requirements.

It's illegal to release most/all employment conditions/records, unless there is an agreement stating otherwise.

Reply #616354 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

KET - depends on the scope of the breach it can be civil or criminal. But semantically, a civil or criminal law are both defined as 'illegal'.

Mind you it's been 10 years since my last law lecture..

Reply #616355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Re: LK and Cairns, I mentioned it in a thread I started here re: his appearance on the Aussie Hoopla podcast about 6 or so weeks ago, but LK was adamant that no team that is currently in the NBL today will not be in the NBL while the league is under his control. I take that to mean that the only way a team goes bust is if LK decides the entire venture is a fail and walks away from the NBL.

Reply #616357 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Angus, that is a good point LK did make the point of expecting the current 8 clubs to survive under him. Although if something did happen to Cairns, I don't think he'd walk away from the NBL.

Kingpodge, a hoops forum probably isn't going to be too concerned by the specifics of law definitions - although I would be careful using the word 'illegal'. In a broad legal context, it's not defined. Mostly because the word 'unlawful' is used.

Lawyers don't use those words for civil law as it is usually applied to criminal law only. With civil matters it would be misleading and doesn't follow the nature and character of how civil law operates.

Criminal law is about prohibiting acts while civil law is about returning a person to the point before they suffered damage. There's not usually a punitive aspect to it as there's not really any "wrong behaviour" per se.

It's not uncommon for people to misuse the word though, they Liberal Government decided to call asylum seekers "illegals" and legislated them as "unlawful non-citizens" despite being an entirely lawful process of arrival and application under Australian law. There is certainly no criminal aspect to it, which is what made the legal fraternity quite puzzled!

But unless we know what is in the agreements, we can't really say what the NBL can and can't do. And IR law isn't the aspect of law I practice in so i've got nothing to add to that.

Reply #616363 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Rodger that KET. Who said Hoops.com.au wasn't educational.

violating an employees privacy is certainly unlawful, and in some cases totally illegal.

I'll see you on www.hoopsandlaw.com.au to continue this dicussion:)

Reply #616369 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns was screwed out of the NY year game, but I can understand the league wanting to try and push the Brisbane market this year. You'd hope Cairns gets it back though - it's terrific and works really well for that market. No, they don't own the night, but if it works why not let them have it?

Aside from that, not sure how exactly the league is "screwing" Cairns. They've been able to put together some very good rosters the past few years - and if it's taken deals with govt's etc to get players like Jawai over the line, so be it. Smart off-court dealings I'd have thought.

Reply #616370 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sounds like my kind of website! ;)

Reply #616379 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

South Brisbane/Southbank is the place to be at NYE, and the Convention Centre is a block away from the main footbridge over the Brisbane River. As a Brisbane local, I'm there every NYE. They should've packed out the stadium.

Reply #616380 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

What's the price like Manu?

Reply #616382 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Dunno Podge, tix were a gift.

They're all decent seats in that place. $20 a pop for the cheap seats.

Reply #616384 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

that's pretty damn good!

Reply #616385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Saying we can't calculate the tax until after the season is basically over is a monumental, asinine, cop-out.'
'Even if the league only counted on, and required the clubs to pay, say 75% on a monthly basis, that would be something.'

Dazz...sounds like you want teams over the cap to make monthly remittances of Luxury Tax to the NBL like businesses with BAS (Qtrly).

This is OK in theory but you are exposed to player movements.

Eg. United had a gap between Cedric Jackson and Casper Ware, as does the Wildcats with JJ and Cotton. During those gaps the teams could conceivably drop under the cap. Even if you do conduct the Luxury Tax this way, you STILL need the end of year reconciliation (like a tax return) to get an accurate picture.

Are you expecting the NBL to start paying out Luxury Tax receipts to teams under the cap during the season? I would hope this is not a reflection of the Western Australian education system.

Reply #616386 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Cairns have had a rough run regarding scheduling for at least the last two seasons - very few home games in the opening rounds, and missing the NYE game this year being good examples. @Kingpodge's suggestion about the NYE game is that Taipans games garner a huge amount of revenue for the club (although not F&B, that belongs to the basket convention centre), and missing the game means a significant loss of revenue. The game played in Brisbane did not draw the same crowd, so it wasn't as much of a boon to the Bullets as it would have been for the Taipans.

This being said, I don't believe it's because LK is trying to screw the Taipans over. If they don't get a better draw for the start of next season,however, I will be very pissed off.

The luxury tax looks like it's going to be a huge farce. The league should already have its Independent Review Committee in place, and have advertised that fact. @Manu Fiedel, the reason for not using "actual" salaries is that they wanted to avoid clubs' sponsors paying players for playing basketball, and that amount not counting toward the cap. What they should have done is say that the "deemed" salary would not be lower than the salary paid by the clubs.

I don't think there's any point in clubs having to pay the tax through the year, but it needs to be stipulated when it will happen.

Reply #616550 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

damnit Freethrows.... so my alcohol abuse hasn't been helping us spend the cap?

Reply #616552 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

No, mate. Sorry. It all goes back to the state government.

Reply #616573 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I feel used......

Reply #616576 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Despite claims by some that part of LK's promise was to prop-up the poorer teams, we saw pretty quickly what his attitude was towards the Crocs.
Hadn't LK/others already propped up the Crocs and potentially 36ers too? I don't think the Crocs were too hard done by with regard to the league. The fans didn't come out to support them. I would've dropped them too in his position so I think his attitude was reasonable.

I also don't think any poorer team should be banking on luxury tax payments. It's sounded a little sketchy the whole time. Maybe it pays off, maybe it doesn't. I'm sure it will be underreported whatever happens.

I wouldn't say Cairns have been screwed regardless.

Reply #616578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if the LT is to be implemented the clubs would need some forward estimates by now to start their budgeting for next season.

Reply #616594 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Since I discovered the food and beverage sales go straight the convention centre these days frankly I just try and get nice and loaded before I get to the game rather than stump up $7 for a can of XXXX.

SEVEN. DOLLARS.

FOR XXXX.

Reply #616649 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

CT is that you sculling the bag of goon out the front before tip off??? save one for me next time!

Reply #616678 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Do you want some of this goon, Podge? Might need it after that one...

Reply #616821 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha i could use a litre or 2...

Reply #616823 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yes, my preference is either going to the Bavarian beer house or Rattle & Hum for happy hour pre game drinks, then sober up during the game and be fine to drive home.

Unfortunately I'm going dry this january when I really could've used a drink or 9 tonight.

Reply #616831 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

People have bitched for years (decades?) that the Cats only survived because of the largess of Dr Jack, and previous owners...
But then are so quick to sink the boot into the Crocs and Snakes. So which is it? You can't have it both ways!
Either clubs must stand on their own two feet, in which case we would only have Cairns and (ironically now) Perth (maybe Hawks?) or do we allow rich owners to put money in?
In which case you can't really criticise the Crocs.
As for claiming the fans didn't come out to support them, that's misleading. They failed because unlike most of the other teams, they didn't have deep pockets to see them through the tough times.
As for LK, I'll admit that I have no idea exactly what he promised in exchange for being given the NBL as his personal toy. Prior to the deal supporters and apologists claimed his money was going to ensure the viability of the poorer teams, both via direct support and by providing free shared services. Personally, apart from a new website and streaming service, both of which I hate, I'm struggling to see what benefits he has bought to the league.

I also don't think any poorer team should be banking on luxury tax payments.
But that is the entire justification for the system.
Besides, whichever way you look at it, Cairns HAVE been screwed.
Either the NBL has simply allowed Sydney, MU, etc, to go nuts, ensuring Cairns can never be competitive.
OR, the system is supposed to tax those over-spending heavily, and funnel the money to clubs like Cairns. In which they have been screwed because at best the season will be over before they see a cent, and the latest pronouncements create doubt that they will ever get it.

Maybe before the start of next season, we should just get LK and Anschutz out to centre-court, wheel out Dr Jack, grab a ruler and have a measure. Once that issue is settled, then perhaps we could get on with playing basketball and having a league that isn't self-destructing.

Reply #616835 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

+1 for the Bavarian. Disappointed my favourite beer in the world (pirate life double IPA) was off for two weeks when I went in earlier today.

Reply #616842 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754