hoopie
Years ago

Which coaches will we see back next season?

At this stage, the only one who I can definitely see gone is DD at Melbourne, and possibly Henare with Breakers.

However, I think Fearne & Gleeson need a good run home to keep their jobs.

While Gaze & Lemanis had a rough first season, I think Sydney need to get their act together, as Gaze seems to have too much frustration and not enough inspiration or motivation for his players right now.

Topic #40754 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze and Lemanis are on 3 year deals, and no way in hell Henarae goes

Reply #621385 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

With only 8 teams I'd say DD is theasy only coach not returning. It may even be a mutual decision.

Reply #621386 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Goorjian has already signed with United

Reply #621387 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I agree Henare will be there next year.Breakers have had a rough trot with injuries and if they can keep Dillard will be stronger next year.Henare has done a good job to keep them still in contention.

Reply #621391 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I hope DD stays on next season cause the two games i've watched in Wollongong when Melbourne played he has gone off his head at the refs which is great entertainment and better than watching the actual basketball sometimes.Nothing better than watching DD get a tech but then again a double tech and ejection would be even better.

Reply #621392 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Henare is one of the better coaches in the league. DD I would think is gone and as someone said, Mutual in agreeance.

Gleeson would be close to being moved on, but Perth make the finals and that changes a lot.

Wright is a given, 1 year into a 3 year deal. Gaze if he has 3 years for sure, rumoured money would make him stay IMO too.

The other thing to consider is what coaches will come to Australia to coach?

Reply #621395 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Isn't Gleeson also in the first year of a three-year deal? Can't see him going unless the streak does.

Reply #621398 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Could be, but Perth wont enjy this..Altho i prefer they keep him.

Reply #621401 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Fear has one more year of a three year contract left. Suspect he will stay unless they end up bottom.

Reply #621403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleason should be gone regardless of the all mighty streak. The cats have looked very poor in spurts and gone missing. Plus he is generally annoying when mic'd up for tv viewers haha

Reply #621405 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Weren't there rumours of Fearne going to the US?

Reply #621408 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Fearne still has a year left on his contract.

Reply #621410 | Report this post

Allan  
Years ago

Cats have had so many injuries, Gleeson has 2 years left on his contract. Happy to keep Our championship coach.

Reply #621411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevor Glesson record at the cats

2013/14-Champions (25-8)
2014/15- Semi Finals (16-14)
2015/16- Champions (22-12)
2016/17- 12 wins from 24 matches

That is not a record of a coach deserving to be sacked

Reply #621412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are coaches here who don't get the chance or a 2nd chance.

Its amazing how some of you guys hate certain coaches and want them gone regardless of how well they do or your a fan and don't want them coaching your team. smh

Some teams want results from coaches in there 1st season when that don't happen they're gone.

Never get time to build a program. Some coaches don't even get to pick their own players and when they don't win they're gone. its bulls**t

Its a hard job so be patient, everything plays a part.

Reply #621416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's human nature as a sports fan to have a strong opinion right wrong or inbetween. As a fan who doesn't like the cats to start with, it's easy to see that they are not nearly as intimidating as they have been in the past. Gleason as a coach looks panicked and doesn't seem get the results out of timeouts that I'm accustomed to seeing from the cats. His record is great and all but if I had james Ennis I'm sure I'd have a ring too.

Reply #621418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has won 2 finals in the 3 and half years he's been there and people are calling for his head. i just don't get that.

Reply #621422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

>> His record is great and all but if I had james Ennis I'm sure I'd have a ring too.

funny how at the time people here were saying he wasn't all that and more style then substance but now in hindsight he was conveniently the reason for the title rather then perth being a good team

Reply #621423 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Demopoulos seems like the only one in danger. Grave danger.

Reply #621427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis scored only 14 and fouled out in Game 2 of the grand Final series. He scored a season low 9 and had foul trouble in game 3 when they dominated and won 93-59.

I wouldn't really say he was the reason they won and that Perth weren't a good team lol

Reply #621429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never said it in my eyes was a game breaker. Nice try though.

Reply #621432 | Report this post

All  
Years ago

Think Fearne time is up, must be sorry he let Sobey go!!!

Reply #621433 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Fearne didn't 'let Sobey go'. Adelaide out-bid us with more money and a three year contract, against our two year offer.

Reply #621437 | Report this post

All  
Years ago

So Fearne let Sobey go. Didn't give him any court time. Didn't fight to keep him!!!

Reply #621440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit without remembering too much about the time line fearne didn't exactly let sobey flourish. He had that much talent sitting on his bench, that's embarrassing for him. If he was able to keep him or not it besides the fact, he didn't encouraging his potential with playing time.

Reply #621444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BMF, Henare one of the better coaches in the league??? Take your hand off it pmsl

Reply #621467 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gleeson has won 2 rings with Perth. Yes, I realise it was only because of Ennis and the refs, but wasn't it Napoleon who said "I would rather have a Lucky Coach than a Good Coach"?

The only way he would even look like being in trouble is if we don't make the finals. Nobody in Perth will be happy. Sanity might prevail, but whp knows.

MU are on shaky ground. They're not playing badly, but I think in this ultra competitive season, they will miss the finals. Possibly only on splits.
If that happens maybe DD needs to look for a new job?

Cairns may actually finish well, in which case I'd imagine Fearne will be safe.

Reply #621477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect a big announcement if a certain team with a high profile coach doesn't make the finals.

Watch this space!

Reply #621483 | Report this post

All  
Years ago

How many championship has Fearne won?

Reply #621497 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Sobey sat on the bench as a dev player with Wilbekin, Gliddon, Bruce, and Maynard before he hurt his finger.

That team went to the final, who's Sobey taking court time from?

A reminder also that Teys started ahead of Sobey last season..... And he wasn't this good last year....

Reply #621524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True kingpodge. Again couldn't remember the true timeline of things makes more sense now. Fearne seems like an odd dude though regardless but no reason to sack a guy haha

Reply #621532 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think Sydney could easily miss the finals.
Does that mean Drewie gets the flick?

Reply #621537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If drewie goes after one season in charge then, Dazz your boy Trev will definitely be deactivated.

Reply #621555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to see Dennis at Illawarra as Beveridge's assistant.

Reply #621638 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'd love to see Dennis at MU, or Gordie, or ANY coach who can get the best out of the majority of his players, which sadly DD hasn't done.

Reply #621690 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If drewie goes after one season in charge then, Dazz your boy Trev will definitely be deactivated.
And yet another puerile anti-Perth jitz.

Why don't you just change your username to "I h8 Perth cos thay Suk" then with that out of the way you could actually try to make a contribution.

Gleeson is one of the most successful coaches in the NBL, and has won 2 rings for Perth. (Yet I even concede that if Perth don't make the finals there COULD be rumblings.)

There has always been a question over why they hire a Championship winning coach as their assistant, and a guy with no experience as their head?
As the public face, he has made foolish comments. As the game coach he has failed.
Anschutz has poured a lot of money into the Kings, and doesn't seem like someone who would tolerate failure.
And they have Vickerman already waiting in the wings.
Even so, I am only asking the question.

Reply #621719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just curious to know how many championships have Gordie or Dennis won?
Their name seems to pop up everytime you guys bring up coaches.

I never see Al Westovers name who won 2 finals in 4 years.

Theres so much bias on this site.

DD will be gone even if he makes the finals, The United's problem is they want a big name (Goorgian or NBA). Championships are built not bought....CASE CLOSED

Reply #621724 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Westover was also responsible for that 3 centres Tigers team....

Reply #621730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was responsible for Barlow running the point?? That was even more eyebrow-raising.

Reply #621733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he was, but he didn't pick the 3 centers, that was Seamus, what hurt him was trying to run the shuffle without the necessary personel.

Barlow at the point was a disaster with Dmac & Crosswell already there, but he still won 2 finals in 4 years

Reply #621740 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

well Seamus should have been imprisoned for life after that travesty.....

Reply #621742 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I highly doubt that Gaze will ever get the flick as long as JVG is GM. Their Tigers history ran too deep for that. Most likely scenario would be Gaze resigning to alleviate pressure on JVG if they miss the finals after 2nd season.

In saying that, it looks like Harvey Lister has given JVG 3 years to make Kings a success. Gaze, Lisch and Newley are all on 3-year contracts. That can't be coincidence.

Reply #621761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want Gleeson around if I were his employer. His demeanour is terrible and with the change of coaches wearing suits this fat slob insists on still rocking a polo. Ewww.

Reply #621833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Goorjian a lock for MU next season?

Reply #621834 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

His demeanour is terrible and with the change of coaches wearing suits this fat slob insists on still rocking a polo.
Gleeson always wore suits prior to coming to Perth. Beveridge wore a polo at Perth and wears a suit in Illawarra. So I think you'll find it's the club's decision.

Reply #621836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah that's right, makes sense. I noticed Marvin loitering behind the Cats bench in Auckland a couple of weeks ago and he was checking himself out how he looked in his snug red polo... lol.

Reply #621837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't the Breakers coaching staff wear polos?

Reply #621838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but they don't look overweight.

Reply #621839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman did.

Reply #621841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman still wears a polo at kings but Andrew and Leonard wear suits.

Reply #621858 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754