Topic #40788 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second thread of kings v United.

Reply #622333 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I think the Kings will win.

United lacking heart & Kings have been better of late.

Reply #622341 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

I'm tipping United by 9+ Goulding to put on a clinic.

Fun fact, I'm pretty sure that the Sydney Kings have not beat United in Sydney since United changed their name

There is a slight chance that I'm wrong on that fact as it's just from memory, but if I'm right, it's pretty impressive!

Reply #622351 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

It's a grand final situation for Melbourne and expect them to play with desperation.I'm hoping Melbourne get the W so the Hawks are in the playoffs.

Reply #622365 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

According to the Soc. Med's it's going to be a seriously huge crowd for this one. Great news.

Carn United! Time to show us that daylight.

Reply #622382 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United have won the last 2, the only Kings win was when United was missing CG, Blanchfield and between Jackson and Ware. And it took a Lisch special in the last to kick away to a comfortable lead.

For some reason I feel quietly confident that United will get a win.

Hope I'm right cos if they lose its extremely hard from here! Would need 3 in a row and probably be relying on a split

Reply #622383 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Inside word is booking just passed 10,600. Well on track to hit 11k which will be the biggest crowd this season. Looks like Syd crowd warming up to NBL after all.

Reply #622384 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Great for the kings and for the nbl! Bout time I reckon, now they got to turn it on and make a statement. Top 4 is on the line for United.

Kings at home will get the w

Reply #622390 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I have backed Sydney to win which is a little strange considering they have let me down on every occasion I have put money on them before.

I hope they win and it is a good game in front of the big crowd for the sake of basketball, not for any personal benefit I may receive.

Reply #622433 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good to hear Casey doing the game

Reply #622449 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Refs are Matt Beattie, Michael Aylen and Matt Townsend. Buckle up for a crap reffing night folks! Aylen and Townsend have been atrocious lately.

Reply #622450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aylen has been my most hated ref this year, makes some shocking calls

Reply #622452 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

and for those who dont know

matt beatie

http://www-static.spulsecdn.net/pics/00/03/20/79/3207914_1_O.jpg

matt Townsend

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/referee-matt-townsend-looks-on-with-a-bandage-in-his-nose-after-a-picture-id163848032

Aylen ( on the right ;) )

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/trevor-gleeson-coach-of-the-wildcats-questions-referee-michael-aylen-picture-id513282744?s=594x594

Reply #622455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How big is the crowd? Looks large

Reply #622456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are just horrid

Reply #622460 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Crowd almost as big as the margin :O

Reply #622461 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Newley and Melbourne both playing for playoffs spots. Not sure about the rest of them.

Reply #622462 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Kings making life difficult as they travel to Perth for their last game.

Reply #622467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson Casey's voice going up a couple of octaves

Reply #622469 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Craig Moller is definitely a keeper for the Kings. His rebounding and energy along with Newley are the main things keeping the Kings in the game.

Reply #622471 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good finish to the half and at least it's potentially a contest again.
Was looking real ugly for a while there.

Reply #622473 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Game of 2 quarters. Q1 United Q2 Sydney. Newley fantastic but really short of gallop.Melbourne better team and there's to lose. Sydney need to hang around and hope they have a chance to steal it.

Reply #622474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Kings win how much harder is the equation for the breakers to play finals.

I know that if kings win tonight and lose next week to Perth and The Breakers win at home against Melbourne both teams will finish with a 14-14 record.

Reply #622477 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The key to United is to shut both Ware and Goulding from the perimeter with tight man to man, force them to drive with help defense waiting inside and the third person rotating to cut off the inside pass. Force others to beat you from the perimeter. Kings didn't do that in the first one and a half quarters.

Reply #622479 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well there you go... they're doing what I said now... lets see how smart they are to keep it up.

Reply #622481 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2 point game now

Reply #622482 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Love seeing Goulding brick so much. Can't believe he's a Boomer.

Reply #622483 | Report this post

MidRange  
Years ago

Ware has been a bit stiff on his drive

Reply #622484 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow that's the Lakers version of Powell there...

Reply #622487 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Goulding and Ware were woeful that quarter.

Reply #622488 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

The two kids have been a really good spark for the Kings tonight.

Reply #622491 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Andersen with the dagger

Reply #622492 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Anderson has been the difference. Jeeeeeeeeee zus!

Reply #622494 | Report this post

RedArmy  
Years ago

Impressive win by United. Sydney are terrible at home!

Reply #622497 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Heh Kings are pretty much done. The game is pretty much lost due to Gaze's coaching this time. Pretty embarrassing to get out-coached by DD. :)

Reply #622498 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Three teams played tonight with their coaches.

Reply #622502 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Without ^

Reply #622503 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Three? Gaze, Joey and who? I haven't watched Sixers vs Breakers yet but heard Joey got booted.

Reply #622505 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well I think that's it for Sydney.
Even if they could beat Perth next week, I don't know that 14 wins would do it.
And I don't think they can beat Perth at home.

Reply #622509 | Report this post

Triton 70  
Years ago

Thank God we didn't give Gaze a 3yr deal.

Reply #622510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a token Coach Gaze is as good as he is a SEABL coach. Pathetic. JVG needs to be removed from player selections as well. As a long term fan the Kings are still average. Yet the money they now are spending is obscene.
Questions need to be asked at the end of the season and I for one would sack Gaze immediately.
If Goorj does go the MU the Kings should have appointed an interim Coach this season, and signed Goorj a season ago. Vickerman can coach apparently but after this season I do wonder. LC will always be Head Party Coach.

Reply #622512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was still a good game today and the big crowd got there moneys worth even though it wasn't a win

Reply #622515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. The crowd turned up to see the KIngs at there worst. That won't last long. Nothing has changed it seems at the Kings. Great crowds mediocre sides.

Reply #622517 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Tough to win when 3 players combined for 100 minutes, for 28 points on 7/28 (or thereabouts) shooting.
Whit, Cadee & Lisch.
Kings O is simply way to overstructured.

Reply #622519 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Thank God we didn't give Gaze a 3yr deal.

You did.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-02/andrew-gaze-appointed-head-coach-sydney-kings/7294364

Reply #622523 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Kings O is simply way to overstructured

Sorry Air Delay, going to contradict you on that claim. Tonight's game actually showed that Gaze was lacking variety in offensive structures. That 4th quarter was particularly telling.

You probably think the Kings O was overstructured because it appears that they spent too much time trying to set up their half-court offense every time down as opposed to trying to fast break.

DD may be derided as a crap coach by most on this forum but he had the Kings' measure this season for sure and he knew that if he let the Kings run their fast break, United was toast. He made sure his guards slowed Lisch & Cadee, deny outlet passes and get the bigs to run back on defense ASAP.

Gaze failed to get his guys to force the fast breaks and were forced to settle into their half-court offense which predictably consisted of failed shuffle rubbish with guys standing around and settling for outside jumpers with the shot clock ticking down. Betcha Gazey going to complain that he got them 'good' shots but they are not falling in.

Reply #622535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After listening to the Gaze press conference I sometimes think he's watching a different game to me.
Great night,fantastic crowd,the kings are back. Got to win in Perth for any chance of finals but other than a few dumb losses great first season under the new owners.

Reply #622545 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I'd agree with that @SteveK2 : )

Kings looked pretty good off their pick and rolls & off ball picks on the wings, but too much traffic with the shuffle in the high posts doesn't encourage or allow much penetration from the top.

Reply #622551 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kings had so many open looks and just missed them, especially early in the game. Cadee went 3/7 from range and the rest of the team was 2/18!!

If you look over the last 8-10 games Cadee has been hot from outside but no one else has gone with him.

Had Lisch been his normal shooting self they're in the playoffs, but I guess that again comes back to poor recruiting in not filling that third guard spot.

Reply #622589 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW it was nice to see Dave Andersen play like Dave Andersen! Sydney with a very reactive, international-style defence which made him feel very comfortable.

Interesting the NZ struggled defensively under Vickerman the year the league was called tightly (2013/14) and Sydney's D was great early this season when it was physical, but since the crackdown started around R6-ish they have struggled.

Reply #622590 | Report this post

Triton 70  
Years ago

@Zodiac Makes sense, considering his track record as a coach.

Reply #622596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee didn't make his first three till the 3rd quarter, and his last two threes were when the game was at the death and only made the margin smaller. MDW looked good in his few minutes and should've got more time.

Reply #622618 | Report this post

Wookie  
Years ago

So even a few days on, that effort still stings... Over 11,000 people (just) turned out to watch them play and the only player that doesn't come out flat is Newls... Allowing 30pts in the first quarter, with absolutely ZERO help defence from teammates, crap double teams/poor rotations allowing United's multiple outside shooters to get very easy and open shots was just pathetic, and as a Kings fan, I'm fucking sick of it...

Sure, Dave Andersen has found his form again (once again, the Kings are the team to get a player back into their groove) and hit some pretty tough shots, but there is no excuses for the way the Kings came out and played for most of the game...

11,000 people pumped up for an awesome game and the atmosphere started off great, even the vibe beforehand was amazing. You could feel the excitement from everyone, something that hasn't happened at Kings games, especially on that scale, for a very long time. And they give THAT sort of performance... It was like they were TRYING to lose... After that first quarter, the crowd was dying... It didn't take much to get them pumped up, it was like they were willing the Kings to do SOMETHING to get them cheering again, but to no avail...

At one point, not sure what Unitard player it was, but they'd gotten away from their defender just after halfway, and there was only another United player guarded by Powell just outside of the key near the baseline... The United player just strolled into the key for an easy score with Powell doing nothing... Our imports, apart from small spurts, have been frigging awful... Their lack of enthusiasm and effort on the court has been embarrassing and seriously cost us games this season and Saturday nights effort was one of the worst... Whittington was wandering off with his head in the clouds and at one point during our FTs in teh 2nd half, walked back to the bench like he wanted to be subbed off and then looked to sook when it was Powell who got the (undeserved) rest...

Looking at how other teams are scrapping to win tight games and then looking at the Kings is disheartening... Such a great start to the season, a lot of great moves to build the team up and a BUNCH of improvement off the court, and it comes down to pissing the season away and losing more games than actually getting beaten...

Having a coach that isn't getting the job done for whatever reason is one thing, or even getting beaten by better teams when you've done your best is even understandable, but consistently putting in poor efforts like the Kings have this season is just unacceptable in my book...

Reply #622958 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754