Anonymous
Years ago

Media likes the Wildcats playoff streak?

I'm not quite sure if its just because its a quiet time in sports right now, but the wildcats win yesterday has attracted a lot of mainstream media attention in perth.

They were the lead sports item on the ABC 7pm news and then I see they got the back page of the West Australian newspaper today too (inside there was another article about Cairns and Illawarra).

Is it because the streak is a big thing or is it just a quiet time in sports? I don't recall this type of press coverage last year?

Maybe lk has done it again with his timing of the playoffs.

Topic #40873 | Report this topic

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

It's an easy sell by the media. They know the general public will be wowed by such a feat.

In comparison channel 7 coverage then did a story on women's AFL that went twice as long. But don't be fooled to think it's because it's that important or popular. Ch 7 has invested a lot of money into it. So they intentially force it down people's throats and make it seem like it's actually more popular than what it is.

Reply #625139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a bit of a quiet time, but Perths media coverage on the Wildcats while not as big as other sports teams in WA, is pretty decent imo. Qualifying for the Finals, especially in such dramatic fashion is a pretty big deal and story I think. The attention its gotten is what I would have expected.

Reply #625142 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I think 'the streak' has become so heavily talked about, its now more important than the playoffs itself. The fact that it was such a dramatic finish to the season added to the interest.

I didnt watch abc news that night, but very impressed to hear about the coverage it got.

Unfortunately AFLW has taken a lot of attention away (its nothing more than a plan to shove as much AFL as possible, than to promote womens sport unfortunately) and of course channel 7 is leading the charge. They have an agenda to do so. I think they know the interest wont last so theyre milking it as much as possible while its 'hot'. As are all the channels for that matter.

As usual, im not expecting the media to fall over themselves covering the Wildcats, but it has been a good start at least.

Reply #625144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh the streak can't wait for the 30 for 30. Perth media have nothing else to talk about this time of year with afl not up and going, maybe that's what. Probs case closed then.

Reply #625151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth media has had fairly decent coverage of the Wildcats for the past ten years. The coverage of the win on Sunday wasnt anything unusual, apart from being the first item on ABC's sport.

Reply #625153 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a good narrative, these are the type of things which help build media coverage - the NBL needs to take advantage of it

Reply #625162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mixture of a popular team, great achievement and probably Wildcats/NBL PR.

AFLW is capturing the interest of a lot of people. May not last but it's genuine and great to see. Watched bits of two games with friends the other week who are general AFL/sports fans, and they were keen to check it out.

Reply #625182 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cats are always relatively big news in Perth.

And yes, they always make an issue of the streak.

And yes, many of us were s______ bricks right up until the last few seconds of the MU game.
I don't think the streak is more important per sae, but clearly this season we know we're trailing Adelaide badly, will now struggle against Cairns (thanks to Tank) and have faced an uphill battle just to make the playoffs.

In regards to the AWFL, only the Muppets have a team, and nobody cares about them.
Certainly nobody that reads news articles anyway.

Reply #625268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL/Cats are relatively big news in Perth because, well, Perth is boring. Trust me I live in Perth. If the other major cities of Australia were as boring as Perth the NBL would be bigger.

Reply #625290 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Someone said the cats record isn't actually a world record like the wildcats said. True or false?

Reply #625318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth is boring." Yep that's also why your restaurants are so expensive. 1/3 more over there and the most expensive NBL tix too.

Reply #625322 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The streak is over rated. For 3 seasons in a row the Cats finished 7th and made the playoffs in an 11 team competition (twice) and in a 12 team competition. In 2004 they made the playoffs with a 15-19 win loss record. That's just making a mockery of what it means to be a playoff team. What other professional comp allows that?

Also, this was at a low ebb in the NBL's history when the talent was relatively lower compared to where it is right now. Back in those days, you had 2 or 3 really strong teams and then a bunch of weak ones- Perth was one of the weak ones and weren't competing for the championship. Not like now, when you have 7 teams in the playoffs mix until the last weekend and the one who missed out was cruelled by several injuries at once.

Reply #625330 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like the streak creating media buzz because it's great for the NBL and gets the Perth fans motivated and confident. This is one of those narratives that I have been endlessly talking about because they're important for the promotion of the game. Anything that generates discussion and interest is to be taken advantage of.

With that said, it does feel like this streak represents an adult beating toddlers. It's not a slight against Perth, I just think given the circumstances, it would be almost impossible to not make the finals if you're Perth.

The reality is, while Perth have been well resourced and stable, almost everyone around them in the last decade and a half have struggled with finances and stability, died & re-started or simply just folded forever. In addition, the NBL for a few years had 8/12 or 8/11 making the finals.

You can only beat what's around you, and there is always something said for getting the job done at the end of the day it's just that if Perth made the finals for 31 straight years in a league where each club was always as well resourced and stable, then i'd be writing huge posts gushing over their record like the San Antonio Spurs & the Pop/Timmy era.

Reply #625336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one would know those facts LV. Let alone the Perff fans. It's a streak. How they got there and all of the permutations involved who cares. The streak is alive unfortunately. Let's all hope for an early exit.

Reply #625342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if you take away those years where 8/12 made it, the wildcats record is still pretty impressive. Haters gonna hate though

Reply #625346 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Yeah those years around 2004-2007 where they finished in the bottom half of the top 8 when only 3 teams missed the playoffs are a bit dubious. I certainly dont rate them as as good seasons despite qualifying. Along with a couple of other years where they just scraped in (eg 92 and 98/99)

They have more than made up for that though by qualifying for the much tougher top 4 in the last 7 years. And pretty much every other year during the 31 year run.

Reply #625351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, you know damn well that if that was the Tigers qualifying for the post season with a 15-19 record, you would be calling them "a playoff team."

Reply #625356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stuff costs 1/3 more in Perth because Perth people are 1/3 richer than the other states.

Reply #625358 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, its not a world record. And whilst I haven't checked this time around, last year they did not claim it was, but the media did. Somewhere, some how, some body got it into their head that a particular USA record (it think was a "Major League" record) was somehow a world record. Hence much celebration when the Cats surpassed.
Of the records that are published and easily checked, I think there is a Canadian football team, that holds the "North American" record.
But again, nothing to say that is a world record.

The team that is most often mentioned, at least in Basketball circles. is Tel Aviv Macabee. They have DOMINATED the Israeli league for something like 50+ years. (although I'm not sure of the actual "finals streak".)

Reply #625359 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

34th straight appearance this year, I believe. Something like 28 championships in that span.

Mind you, it's essentially the equivalent of if the Wildcats competed in the SBL during winter.

Reply #625360 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ah LV, talking a load of bitter and twisted tripe as usual.

The streak is what it is.
The Wildcats on their best day, wouldn't win a game in the NBA, but so what.
Nobody is claiming they have been the best team every year, they won 7 times in what, 30+ seasons.
Nobody's saying it marks divinity, its just a play-off streak.

Yes, as discussed previously, Ellis almost ended the streak in 2004 with a losing season, BUT he didn't.
At the end of the day, its a game, its entertaining, and this is just one more little bit of folklore that makes it a bit more entertaining.

Reply #625361 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The streak is over rated. For 3 seasons in a row the Cats finished 7th and made the playoffs in an 11 team competition (twice) and in a 12 team competition. In 2004 they made the playoffs with a 15-19 win loss record. That's just making a mockery of what it means to be a playoff team. What other professional comp allows that?
The questionable post-season qualification was available to every other team. Obviously some struggled through missed years or financial dips, but who cares - solid achievement regardless.

Reply #625369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Perth is boring." Yep that's also why your restaurants are so expensive. 1/3 more over there and the most expensive NBL tix too."

It's boring but at the same time a ripoff as well. Boggles the mind. and yes restaurants are 1/3 more expensive and the food served up is WORSE than what you get on the east coast.

Reply #625476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop eating at Sizzler then.

Reply #625479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ lol wtf would never eat there

Reply #625480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Originally the Wildcats spewed out the "world record" crap two-three seasons ago (how amateur) and then the media blindly repeated it. That's how it started.

Reply #625481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee. how dare those Wildcats actually use their success to market their team? I mean, to what benefit?? Ok, apart from having 10,000 members and getting 13,000 to their games regularly, but what else does it prove??

Reply #625484 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's an amazing streak.
Inventing world record "facts" about it only tarnishes it IMO. It is impressive on its own merit and shouldn't require added exaggeration.

Reply #625501 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Perth 7 (championships)
Adelaide 4
Melbourne Tigers/United 4
New Zealand 4
Sydney 3
Brisbane 3
Illawarra 1

I find this record more impressive and one which I am more envious.

(but note with interest whether NZ's championships would be more had they been completing from the early/mid 1980's, and is the golden era of the Breakers coming to an end?).

Reply #625502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with "Australian record". Would be more accurate and fitting.

Reply #625503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Ads but NZ's championships over how many seasons they've played in the league is what I'm envious of. 4/13 hit rate.

Reply #625504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to mention the other expansion team left in the league hold ZERO titles. and the one that folded last season as well.

Reply #625506 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Originally the Wildcats spewed out the "world record" crap two-three seasons ago (how amateur) and then the media blindly repeated it. That's how it started.
Nope, WRONG again.
Show me the article or presser where you claim this happened?
Since it was only "2~3 seasons ago" you'll have no problem locating it...

Reply #625520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it was on their social media, Twitter feed to be in fact.

Reply #625523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Cats delete old articles off their website.

But luckily Train quoted one of the old articles in a hoops post here:

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/36569-wildcats-equal-world-record-for-consecutive-post-s/

"29-straight post-seasons sees the Wildcats equal a world record for professional sport."

HAHAHA so proof they were claiming it even when they thought they "tied".. that was two season ago

Cats claim to tie record.

Dazz again WRONG.

Reply #625525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the NBL (smartly) discuss the streak but do mention Maccabi Tel Aviv as world record:

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/perth-wildcats-30-and-counting/

Deluded cats!

Reply #625526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I LOVE this article:

https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/2016/01/15/no-the-perth-wildcats-are-not-about-to-become-the-worlds-greatest-team-yet/

actualy RESEARCH done

Reply #625527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/569735939796258816

straight from the horse's mouth, two years ago as mentioned above!

Reply #625529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/569746030670925828
https://twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/570405546873860096
https://twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/569677319922528256
https://twitter.com/PerthWildcats/status/98651942624043008

:)

This started the whole "world record" misnomer.

Reply #625530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ the last tweet is Nick Marvin trying to spruik the "world record" to David Koch of all people. LOL! vomit worthy

Reply #625531 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

You'd make a great law enforcement officer in the USA, Dazz, with your shoot first, check evidence later style. You're on quite a roll lately.

Just a tip: not every perfectly valid criticism of something related to the Wildcats is a huge attack that you must personally repel to save the club's honour.

Reply #625533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Dazz. This one really takes the cake!

Reply #625535 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

perfectly valid criticism of something related to the Wildcats
I don't think Dazz believes those exist.

I'm fairly okay with them ignoring the Maccabi streak, given that it's not the highest-tier league they compete in - same with Barcelona and whatever other Euroleague teams dominate their domestic leagues.

Can't really ignore the 34-year Edmonton streak, though. And East Freo's 36-year WAFL streak means it's not even a Western Australian record.

Reply #625549 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

You'd make a great law enforcement officer in the USA, Dazz, with your shoot first, check evidence later style. You're on quite a roll lately.

Just a tip: not every perfectly valid criticism of something related to the Wildcats is a huge attack that you must personally repel to save the club's honour.
And here's a tip for you "Dan"< or "Luc", or whatever name you're using next: Not every post requires you to behave like a prick. Your stalking is getting up there with Kober.

Do you camp out early at the games? Hoping to spot me so you can follow me home?

Reply #625574 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Show me the article or presser where you claim this happened?

And still waiting.

However, I will APOLOGISE to all the tweaters. I don't use twitter, so I was not aware of the existence of such tweats. My mistake.
Whoever is responsible for that should be more careful.

Reply #625575 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think Dazz believes those exist.
I just don't understand why the anonytrolls (can't tell if its the same ones?) dredge up the same rubbish every year??

This is from that same thread two years ago:
The "record" was claimed by the Bruins, (typical Sepo's) so I think that's where the confusion arouse.
Even in North American, the record for the longest streak (by a professional team) is held by a Canadian Football team.

Maccabi are an institution in Israel. They play in the Euroleague but also field a team in the local comp. Since the Israeli comp started (in the 50's IIRC) they have won over 50 times, including a stretch where they won for twenty years straight. I'm surprised their streak isn't much bigger, as a I can't imagine they have missed the play-offs often. Aside from their dominance, its a 12 team comp with 8 teams in the finals.

I'm fairly okay with them ignoring the Maccabi streak, given that it's not the highest-tier league they compete in - same with Barcelona and whatever other Euroleague teams dominate their domestic leagues.

Can't really ignore the 34-year Edmonton streak, though. And East Freo's 36-year WAFL streak means it's not even a Western Australian record.
And here we go again.
The Wildcats do NOT claim this is a world record, so why keep arguing?
Did they mistakenly do so two years, apparently they did. But I know for a fact that since then they have actually taken steps to stop it being mistakenly reported.

Reply #625577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

easy to find. here you go
https://web.archive.org/web/20150303053205/http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/1g88mkt2vkntg1xkdv6vr35q25
now pull ya head in mate

Reply #625578 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And here's a tip for you "Dan"< or "Luc", or whatever name you're using next: Not every post requires you to behave like a prick.
Luuuc isn't the one arrogantly spouting off about things he doesn't understand. You know and understand far less about the game and the league than a lot of people on here, and if you'd acknowledge that instead of shoving your baseless claims all over the forum, and arguing against people with far superior knowledge and experience - and actual evidence - than you, you might get more respect.

If you keep saying incorrect things, especially as fervently and insistently as you have in this thread in particular, people are going to correct you. This is entirely understandable and appropriate, and if you took it as a learning opportunity instead of a personal affront you would expand your understanding, make better posts, and not have to deal with as much criticism.

And for the love of God stop whining about 'anonytrolls', it's not clever. Yes, some anons have attacked you at times or in ways that weren't called for, and it hurts discussion. But your whining doesn't hurt discussion any less, and every time you take the bait you just encourage them to keep trolling. It's turned into a vicious cycle that is making this a very difficult place to enjoy discussion. Stop rising to the bait, and they'll go away, or find a different target.

Reply #625582 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Most of us are guilty of trying to point score in arguments, but at this point all the arguing is just white noise.

The NBL is a domestic competition, and not the top of its kind in the world. So whether or not this is a world record is kind of irrelevant as recognition will only really be achieved in Australia. Different leagues have varied standards, with differing methods of running things (salary caps etc.) and when we start using arbitrary criteria to draw comparisons it becomes a slippery slope.

What you guys and gals can be content with though, is the Wildcats streak is clearly a great achievement in Australian sport and it's a dominance deserving of pride along with a record 7 championships. It shows above everything else a fantastic culture and exceptional management.

As a fan of the Spurs, I have a similar respect and astonishment towards how they have such staggering success year after year - Perth are like the Spurs of the NBL.

This year, Perth's streak was under threat more than just about ever before. This has perhaps pushed more interest in WA media as that threat is felt - which is great for media buzz and interest in the NBL.

Reply #625586 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"And here's a tip for you "Dan"< or "Luc", or whatever name you're using next: Not every post requires you to behave like a prick."

I think I'm pretty civil overall on this board. If you've pushed your luck too far with me too many times, then that's on you.
You don't "resort" to name-calling and personal insults, as much as you incorporate them into your standard posting procedure. Which is lame enough on its own, but even sadder when you come out swinging about who is wrong and a masturbating anonytroll moron or whatever, and it ends up being you.
Even more tragic again is that you don't appear to learn from the experience. Change the subject or run away, and then come out swinging again just as hard in the next thread.
Blather. Rants. Repeat.©
Most people who stuffed up as often as you would probably start to question whether aggressive arrogance was the right persona for them.

This thread is a perfect example. You were presented with not just the evidence you told us did not exist, but even a link to a thread where you yourself had responded to that very evidence in the past! But no, from you it was just "Nope, WRONG again." followed by "And still waiting." even after someone went to the trouble of finding exactly what you were supposedly waiting for.
So who is behaving like a "prick" here? And is it really any wonder that a lot of people have a low tolerance for you? Insult me all you like but please take a moment to look in the mirror.

"Your stalking is getting up there with Kober."

Right, so this board is for you to start new threads about every thought that enters your mind, but replies & other opinions are not welcome. Am I understanding that correctly? Or is it more that you can't think of an explanation other than stalking for why other Wildcats fans might be posting in some of the same threads you do?

"Do you camp out early at the games? Hoping to spot me so you can follow me home?"

Ouch. The burn. Please stop.

P.S. I'm posting this from inside your house :O

Reply #625592 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Well said KET. I wonder if it would have been just as big a story if the Wildcats missed the playoffs? I could imagine a big headline and a back page feature in The West as well as top billing in the news if that happened.

As for the incredible 31 year streak, just as well they won 7 titles from 12 grand finals. It would be shambolic if they only made the playoffs and never actually won it :)

Reply #625593 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It is a great achievement, but that still doesn't warrant #FakeNews
Plus "world records" kinda lose their value if everyone can claim them.

And Haz, I tend to agree that the Wildcats are a big enough deal in Perth that it probably would have made headlines had the streak ended this season, and again the next day with a big back page photo of Trevor Gleeson in stocks in the middle of Murray St Mall.

Reply #625594 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dazz saying Luuuc acts like a prick, that would have to be close to the funniest thing I've read on Hoops!

Reply #625596 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thats true Luuuc. For me 'world records' dont have as much impact as they should do because it seems to be claimed a little too easily whether it actually is or not. For every olympics theres a ton of new world records broken. Its just the professionalism and physique of the athletes getting better.

Boxing has a new world champion every time theres a fight. Doesnt seem to matter what level that fight is or where its held.

American teams are world champions - in their own domestic leagues!

Its sports marketing plus media sensasionalism at its best. I wouldnt put too much emphasis on a so called world record, no matter what it is.

Reply #625599 | Report this post

Dazzamaniac  
Years ago

TIL The Wildcats streak isn't a world record! Talk about fake news... or is that alternative facts?

Reply #625606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://web.archive.org/web/20150303053205/http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/1g88mkt2vkntg1xkdv6vr35q25

Hahaha. Owned! Dazz still has not addressed the above, after deciding to conveniently ignore the official Twitter feed of the Cats.

Reply #625633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one thread Dazz has ignored after getting owned. Upping this so Dazz replies.... not holding my breath.

Reply #625877 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the best course of action for this thread is leaving it to die.

Reply #625881 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ah!!!

Sorry, I can't let this die. I just caught up on this thread. Best Dazz thread ever. Seriously laughing my butt off.

Reply #625918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're welcome LV. I was the one who owned him with the links from the Cats. :) haha

Reply #625922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754