Train
Years ago

Is the CLB even still happening?

Anyone remember the Champions Basketball League that was being floated around a couple of years ago.

Website states it is launching in May this year?

Anyone have any intel on whats happening?

Topic #40886 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boti's now running advertising for it on his blog so I assume it's still going ahead.

Reply #625519 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It will be running as a 3 on 3 tournament but they've squashed the idea of a big bash style league.

Reply #625524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BIG3 league in the US with ex NBA players is launching soon. Bad timing to launch at the same time as that since it will make CLB look like a joke.

Reply #625528 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not exactly that's a bit like saying the NBL shouldn't run in summer because it will look like a joke compared to the NBA.

I see this CLB tournament as a bit like a smaller version of High Stakes Hoops in that unlikely NBL contracted players will be allowed to play it will probably be SEABL level imports and young guys hoping to impress an NBL team.

Reply #625537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Zodiac but NBA/NBL essentially use rules of the game FIBA vs. NBA with its slight tweaks.

Whereas with three-on-three ball the people running the league have scope and discretion to create their own rules. So if CLB don't get it right it will look really poor in light of the BIG3 launch.

Reply #625538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BIG3 league in the US with ex NBA players is launching soon. Bad timing to launch at the same time as that since it will make CLB look like a joke.
The NBA makes the NBL look like a joke, what's your point?

Reply #625566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you not read the post directly above you? *facepalm*

Reply #625567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is a lot more to manouvere in terms of setting up the rules

Reply #625569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The champions league was preying on the NBL when it was on its last legs, but they didn't see the wonderful job that Kestleman has done! It's killer their momentum and idea. There's no money to be made in the 3x3 format in Australia. It will flop

Reply #625588 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

steve blake will love it lots of pick and rolls heaven for him, they should sign Blake

Reply #625640 | Report this post

CLB HQ  
Years ago

Hey Hoops Fans,

Loving the comments as always! Given there is so much interest, we thought it best if we jumped in at this point to ensure that everyone is really clear about what we are doing...

As always CLB HQ, are open, transparent and welcoming of new ideas and questions. So let's get started…

Hi Train,

Yes CLB is most definitely still happening and I'm sure it was just a typo but the Champions Basketball League is the new USA based 16 team summer league for retired NBA players that launched well after CLB and is gaining some momentum which is great for basketball fans. 

In fact they wanted our name "Champions League Basketball" but we already had it, so now there are two similarly named groups operating (hopefully you will love both)

You beat us to the punch!!! Website being updated as we speak - stay tuned…

Zodiac,

Yes well and truly going ahead. We have an agreement with Boti Nagy to advertise on his page as we do with many others, we have great respect for the most experienced basketball journo in this country. Boti has always been a great supporter of ours as he is with most things in the basketball landscape. CLB love being a part of his blog pages.

ME,

Interesting comment ME… The original Champions League Basketball concept launched back in May/June 2014 ahead of the NBL relaunch, since then the concept was developed into a product, trialed and tested. Fans provided great feedback, players and coaches loved it and we ran some junior tournaments as well using our CLB rule variations. 

The idea remains exciting and refreshing to the changing basketball landscape but given the resurgence of the NBL we have decided to focus our energy on 3X3 for the time being. Have no fear, it will return. As always we wish the NBL and CBL well in all they do and look to further our relationship with them and work together in the future.

Anonymous No1,

Yes, Ice Cube has launched his big3 league and this just further proves that 3X3 is coming and is here to stay and why we are investing plenty into it. We believe our timing is bang on, supported by the success of our soft launch of CLB3X3 18 months ago with an ANZAC Day tournament in Canberra, followed by a large scale tournament at the Darwin waterfront in conjunction with the Darwin Convention Centre and the Northern Territory government, Darwin Basketball Association and Basketball NT. We have since had satellite events in Geelong, Palmerston & Darwin and kicked off our “Aussie Summer Series” just recently in Melbourne. Just like the rest of us we love a good joke and a laugh but we don’t intend to be the punch line anytime soon! ;-)

Zodiac,

Totally agree with you and that’s a great open minded business approach.We are about creating more tournaments and opportunities for ballers on all levels to play our great game from grass roots right through to Elite and there is currently a massive scope for basketball talent without even relying on NBL players. 3X3 from our point of view does not compete or want to disrupt our current high-level leagues and there is plenty of room for all of us - it is very exciting.

Anonymous No2

Every single CLB3X3 event so far (and there has been over 25 of them not including ones we have helped just by supporting) have been FIBA endorsed and follows all the FIBA3x3 rules directly from their competition handbook, we do not vary them and this allows us to be fully FIBA endorsed. All of our registered competitors take full advantage of the system that FIBA have set up and gain valuable Australian and International ranking points for all of our players. BIG3 is running slightly different rules and we are not yet sure how this will impact their alignment with FIBA, that’s for FIBA to decide and guess we will have to wait and see. Feel free to jump on 3x3planet.com to check out all current events and how they run. FIBA Australia and FIBA global have been massive supporters of CLB3X3 and we have really enjoyed working with them so far.

Anonymous 5

Yes we concur.

Anonymous 6

Not sure you are being fair there. We are only looking to get basketball reinvigorated for the loyal hoops fan via an idea and concept that had been worked on for years and years. In other words, not a fly by nighter trying to take advantage of the dire situation the NBL WAS in. As you would see above and previously explained, we agree that Larry and his team have done a wonderful job since taking over at the NBL but we launched before any of that happened. Killed the idea and momentum?? Not at all, slightly changing direction by adding another amazing product in the mix. We are still as passionate and positive about where Hoops is headed in this country, as we have always been. Our product will always be ready and waiting if and when the right time presents itself.

Time will tell if 3x3 has legs in this country but it’s gathering huge momentum globally and provides yet another great pathway for our youth to be active, play their passion and ultimately play for their state or country and not to mention raise Australia’s profile even more from a basketball point of view. EUROPE, ASIA and now the USA, just to name a few have grasped this and run with it big time, surely that is a positive thing?

From all of us at Champions League Basketball we welcome your feedback, look forward to your involvement in one of our CLB3X3 tournaments coming up in the very near future. Feel free to contact us anytime if you have questions or would like to know more information.

Get social and check out;

www.facebook.com/clb3x3
Instagram: @clb_3x3
Website; www.clb.com.au

For all the latest news on our school clinics, Aussie Summer Series locations, events and updates.

Happy Hooping from the Team at CLB HQ.

Reply #625674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi CLB HQ,

I didn't realise you follow FIBA rules. Thank you for clarifying.

Do you aim for TV coverage? Who will broadcast the event?

Reply #625675 | Report this post

Holden Ute  
Years ago

Hi CLB3X3 HQ
Thanks for your comments and clarrifications

I was lucky enough to compete in one of your CLB3X3 Tournaments in 2016 . I was impressed by the level of organisation that went into the day . From the DJ playing live music through out the games to the commentating it had a fun carnival type feel to it.

Before the Grandfinal there was a 3 point shoot out and a dunk contest . All in all our team came 4th but we enjoyed the day so much it inspired me to look into the 3x3 Concept a little more.

After entering my profile through the 3x3planet.com App i was able get together another 3 of my mates to form a team and compete in the CLB3x3 Tournament. two days after the tournament i received an Australian and a World ranking!
After spending some time on the 3x3planet.com App i found that now i have my profile up and running i can enter into any FIBA Endorsed event in Australia and the world ! Keep up the good work it looks really good and my mates and I will be looking forward to the next event which on the 3x3planet.com App shows it will be CLB3X3 Newcastle and CLB3X3 The lakes entrance. We will definatly be at the Lakes Entrance, look forward to catching up with you there.
Cheers
Jeff

Reply #625682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CBL HQ,

Your league didn't past the post because BA didn't endorse it and therefore wasn't going to give the NBL players approval to play in your league which then hampered the marketing of the CBL not having any high profile players to use to help promote the league!

So you need to acknowledge the real reason why the CBL isn't going ahead.

Anyone can run a 3x3 these days with the support of FIBA.

Glad you follow this site but do keep in mind, there are others on this site who have contacts within BA, NBL and NBA that will clarify those who spin B*LL Sh%t and untruths, like you tried to do with your so call clarifications.

Reply #626205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754