Isaac
Years ago

Celtics-Bulls play-off series

Any chance of Boston bouncing back from 0-2?

They topped their conference but look in trouble after dropping two at home. Thomas' numbers look OK despite the tragic loss of his sibling. Have the Bulls got the right experienced players at the right time? Butler, Wade and Rondo are a pretty solid trio at their best.

I bet on Boston at $24 during the season, figuring they were a decent dark horse in the East and hoping they'd swing a trade for PG or Butler or whoever they were angling for at the time. Not so confident in that now!

Topic #41204 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

National TV Bulls are a different beast.

Reply #633924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a contrast re: recent ex-college coaches Stevens vs. Hoiberg.

Hoiberg looked cooked during the season, players basically revolted against him whereas Stevens looked like the next big thing, finishing 1st in the east.

Now one playoff series has potentially flipped the script completely.

Reply #633925 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I give them a small chance still, simply because these Celtics have proven to be fighters in the past and because if any player can bounce back from the tragic death of his sister with an incredible come from behind series win, it'd be Isaiah Thomas.

I was hoping the Celtics would cash in some chips for that extra star too Isaac. It's hard to know, without seeing the near deals that didn't happen, but I feel like the Celtics may have missed their chance with Cousins going to the Pels and Ibaka to the Raptors.

The raging optimist in me hopes that Paul George forces a trade to the Celtics and then Cousins decides to come to Boston in free agency too! :-D

Reply #633930 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Celtics players and coach are currently showing their finals inexperience in terms of their shot selection and lack of control at key times, whereas Bulls are showing a bit more confidence and composure.

Reply #633931 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Wade and Rondo are playing how the Chicago front office probably thought they would all-season long.

Reply #633935 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

The C's are done. It kills me as a fan to see how pathetic they look and I just cant see where they can pull it together. They are basically going to have to rely on the bulls falling back to the mean and for them to finally hit their shots. The biggest thing is you see Thomas going through what he is and just playing his butt off, and the rest of the team bar Avery and Smart on occasions, can barely contribute. If ever there was a time you would think that they would lift it would be now. Also still love Rondo, for all the hate he gets he gets a pass in my books.

Reply #633942 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree with you about Rondo, Josh. He provided many memorable highlights over the years. I still have a "Grand Theft Rondo" t-shirt from when he stole the ball from between Jason Williams legs back in 2010!

What do you think about the lack of a trade for the Celtics this season? Have they missed the boat? I like the idea of drafting Fultz if the Celtics get the #1 pick, but he doesn't address the teams glaring needs of rebounding, rim defence and interior scoring.

Reply #633945 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Apparently next years draft has lots of big talent so the nets pick will be good for that. You just know they will not get the 1st pick so I bet they land up taking Jackson as he is everything Ainge loves. We also have that euro big zizic(sp?) coming over next year and he is a good rebounder so that will help.

I think they are all in on hoping to get Hayward this year, draft high, maybe move or cut the likes of young, mickey, terry or even Kelly. And drop in last years rookies. If they miss on Hayward no doubt they have another run at butler or George.

Reply #633950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rondo out with broken thumb new series!!

Reply #634053 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It's looking like it right now! Bulls reverting to the regular season selves right now and Celtics seem to have broken out of their shooting slump!

Josh, I hope we don't chase Hayward, he's a good player, but IMO if the Celtics pay him they won't be able to afford a good big man, which is really their most glaring weakness.

Paul George would be worth it, or Butler because he has a relatively cheap contract for his production. Otherwise, I'd rather they stay flexible until the right big man becomes available. You never know, Cousins and Davis might not work out for the Pels and if so, Cousins is a free agent at the end of next season. Favors would be worth a look too if Utah decides they can't afford to pay him.

Reply #634058 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I love what Stevens did shaking up the starting lineup putting in Gerald Green. Every expert on the planet was going on about Celtics too small, can't rebound, etc. Stevens pretty much flips them the bird and went even smaller.

Everyone on that starting 5 was a perimeter threat and I have to say the switch defense was top-notch. Sure Rondo's out helped the situation but that was a different looking team on the floor compared to the last 2 games. Lets see if he sticks with this new strategy.

A funny tidbit, Nate Robinson offered to leave his short contract at Guaros in Venezuela to step in for Rondo. SMH.

Reply #634083 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK, now 2-2. Glimmer of hope. Might be lucky the app didn't let me cash out my bet when I last tried.

Reply #634160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac I still think it's a very good bet. You went through a hiccup but now back in action!

Reply #634162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW was it a bet on winning the conference or league? Either way cashout once they get to conference final and make that money.

Reply #634163 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Winning it all. Also got the Cavs at $4 just as the news broke that Durant got that injury before the play-offs. Spurs are having their troubles with Memphis, so who knows what might happen.

Will check the price before the Finals, if they're still alive then.

Reply #634170 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

3-2!

Reply #634427 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

3-2 and we shot the ball terribly from 3.

Bradley & Big Al were huge.

Reply #634431 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Three teams I am going for are a chance, The Jazz, Bucks and Celtics, guess why.........?

Not rocket science!

Oi Oi Oi

Reply #634435 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not Celtics, Spurs, my bad........ But have a soft spot for Boston in this series for sure!

Reply #634436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty good representation of Australians in the play-offs. Really only Baynes and Simmons who missed out. Bogut would've been there if not for injury.

Reply #634464 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Now 1-0 in the next round. Stay tuned to "Will Isaac's bet survive?" Or at least until it comes up against my other bet - Cavs for champs, paying $4.

Reply #634640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754