Iggle Piggle
Years ago

Stephen Holt rumoured to Brisbane

According to David Pick on twitter the Bullets have signed ex United guard Holt. If true this is a great signing.

Topic #41265 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah solid pick up if they retain their core. I'm sure Torrey Craig is signed so nice import combo... in my opinion (clarifying it's an opinion not a fact for koberulz).

Reply #635147 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Anon...if you have to be so precious about it that everyone of your posts needs a disclaimer, then Koberulz has won.

Reply #635155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Precious or fed up, I can't decide which it is anymore. He just makes the forum an unpleasant experience these days and he knows it. But don't let that digress from an actual decent off season nbl but of news!

Where did Holt play last season??

Reply #635157 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Holt played for Zaragoza in the Spanish ACB last season. Should be a great fit with Craig as an import combo as previously mentioned. Holt will add to Brisbane something that was seriously lacking last season and that's the ability to get in the lane and draw fouls. He can defend multiple guard spots also, I see this as a really good signing by the Bullets.

Reply #635204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where does this leave Gibbo? Vet off the bench? 2 guard?

Reply #635205 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Starting point I would suggest looking at the line-up. Holt can play both guard positions and I would say a guy like Bruce will see his minutes impacted. Where does this leave Jeremy Kendle? I don't think he is contracted and will any other club pick him up? He showed glimpses of being a solid NBL contributor off the bench.

Reply #635217 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Does Holt count as an import if he can play as an Asian player? Not that Brisbane used their import spots fully last year.

Reply #635221 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Isaac, I think Melbourne tried this angle when they signed Holt a couple of years back. As he grew up in the U.S the league didn't allow it at the time. I assume this is still the case.

Reply #635222 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would think there's no chance Kendle doesn't go signed as a 3rd import at worst after the end of last season. Could even see him still in Brisbane as first guard off the bench (or maybe even starting over Gibson).

Reply #635223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendle wasn't that good to say a definent signing at this stage. There is a long way to go before teams commit to 3rd teir imports.

Reply #635228 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Have Brisbane completed their roster if/when Bairstow commits?

Reply #635232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendle looked like Dane swan to me... off topic as such but I remember thinking the pies let a good point guard go haha

Reply #635239 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Bullets line-up so far:
Adam Gibson
?
Torrey Craig*
Daniel Kickert
Cameron Bairstow
Shaun Bruce
Matt Kenyon
Reuben Te Rangi
Anthony Petrie
Tom Jervis
Mitch Young

If the Holt rumour is true, he would fit straight in as the starting 2 guard. Most guards these days can play at least a bit of 1 and 2, so it doesn't hurt to have two "point" guards starting. He may even be the preferred ball carrier to Gibson.

I think he's a good pick up, and if this roster is right, it's immaterial if he plays as an import or not, because their roster is full.

I'm not certain about the length of contracts on Bairstow, Cruce, Kenyon, Te Rangi or Mitch Young from last year. Can anyone confirm these for me?

Craig, Kickert and Petrie are signed until the end of the 17/18 season, and Gibson and Jervis until the end of 18/19.

Reply #635263 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Isaac, I think Melbourne tried this angle when they signed Holt a couple of years back.
Did the Asian player rule exist back then? I thought that came in for this past season with the altered salary cap, points cap, etc.

Reply #635268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. Probably confused it with the Oceania player rule that NZ & Perth used.

Reply #635269 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

His Mother is filipino so he could easily get the passport.

Reply #635272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is able to be utilised as a non import, wow this becomes a massive signing in my opinion.

Reply #635273 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agree with others if they're able to sign a star in Holt who was underutilised at MU they'll be tough next season.

Reply #635279 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not certain about the length of contracts on Bairstow, Cruce, Kenyon, Te Rangi or Mitch Young from last year. Can anyone confirm these for me?

Bairstow signed a 1+1 year deal so unless reported otherwise he's probably coming back, Bruce I think was 2 years and I don't think the other three had their terms announced. Usually that means they would be 1 year deals but sounds like they're all coming back.

Just Kendle presumably and Izzy Tueta gone.

Reply #635281 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Thanks, @Zodiac; I couldn't find any details of the length of any of those contracts. I keep a pretty accurate record of teams' signings throughout the pre-season and through the season itself, so I'm always trying to hunt these things down. MU are the worst for details, they almost never state the length of their contract signings publicly.

Reply #635284 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

He wasn't under-utilised at MU he's just more of a shoot-first than a passer therefore for Holts game playing beside Gibson would probably see him being more dominate in the league.

Reply #635417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754