Isaac
Years ago

NBA Finals: Warriors-Cavs Game 5

Warriors lead 3-1 which could have them nervous. On one hand, if they drop this, Cavs have the momentum to see it through. On the other, probably more likely, game four is a blip and GSW romp home.

Tip off in a couple of hours, I think?

What's your guess at how this plays out?

Topic #41384 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

I can't find the odds for Celeveland winning in 7, does anyone know what those odds are?

Reply #637719 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I hope the Cavs can pull this one out! If they do, I don't think the Warriors will win game 6 in Cleveland and it will give us fans another game 7. One of the best things in all sports!!

In saying that, I think the Warriors will get it done today.

Reply #637720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Find the odds for Cleveland winning the series..that will be Cavs in 7

Reply #637721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cavs are at $13.50 to win the 'ship.

Reply #637722 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It would be hilarious if this goes to 7 again. Wow the pressure would be on the Warriors then.

That said, I think this ends today.

Reply #637723 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

I think it'll end today. Mainly because I'm stuck at work and wont be able to watch this one. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Reply #637727 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It would certainly liven things up if the Cavs could get this one, but yeah if I had to guess I'd say the warriors will piss it in.

Reply #637728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying to put this all in to perspective. Everyone talks about how East and West Conference are vastly different in how strong and challenging the comp is, thus rating GSW higher due to the perceived tougher run to the final.. With that in mind Cavs suposedly have an easier run and the lesser team for any scholars of the game who marvel at GSW.. Thinking about it Cavs run last year to the win in the finals being 3-1 down and then taking the win admittedly with Green out for being Stephensonesque it seems Cavs need some good competition to get their motor going have a distinct disadvantage going in to the final again having not had the prep all season GSW have with a greater quality comp. Again we are seeing an improvement in game 4-5 and I have to wonder if the Cavs had an entire season to get it together against these reportedly better teams if they would be the true marvels of the basketball scholars or James shown more respect for his abilities and IQ. If GSW were truly truly the best ever and had greatness nailed then having been in a stronger conference with opportunity to prep better and then bringing in their greatest threats mvp to add to their already super team should see them being unstoppable in all games especially against the Cavs from a weaker conference. The mind boggles at how good this Cavs team could be if they had the same opportunities as GSW had during the regular season. Thats why Cavs are the team regardless if the outcome gets my respect and James is my MVP. Laugh away but my big picture view. Respect the Cavs and Lue they deserve it.

Reply #637742 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

That wasn't a good enough game 5 win on your home court given the over stack of KD and his 30 point games.

You have to wonder, if Bogut didn't break a leg, would the cavs had enough to get over the line.

That miss call on KD against LBJ started the Cavs dropping their bundle. Becomes a game changing miss in the context.

Reply #637743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. Not a good enough win for a team that is being touted as potential best ever having had an apparent better opportunity to prep. Shameful at that level really but gives Cavs and other teams hope that they have weaknesses and now I would love to see teams band together to find a formula to prove just so. Pity Live didn't show up tonight but alot of intimidation something I loave in any sport. Cavs despite some defensive issues overall you get my respect. GSW They should have won in 4 easily. Next time gadget, next time.

Reply #637746 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

?NBL Finals Isaac ? ;-)

Reply #637747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BORING. Thanks KD.

Reply #637758 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think it will be a crazy off-season. Some big players will be cooking up some big things.

Players will be resigned to the fact they won't get past GSW without an out of this world team.

Reply #637777 | Report this post

Years ago

Warriors dynasty has begun! Hopefully KD gets another 5 rings with GSW and then I think he is in talks of GOAT. Early days but we are witnessing the greatest team of all time.

Reply #637785 | Report this post

Years ago

In order to compete with GSW teams need to have at least 3 top 20 players on the same team.

Hopefully Harden or Westbrook can team up with Kawhi

Reply #637786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Warriors dynasty has begun! Hopefully KD gets another 5 rings with GSW and then I think he is in talks of GOAT. Early days but we are witnessing the greatest team of all time."

ZzzzzzZzZZzzzzz

Reply #637787 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

"Players will be resigned to the fact they won't get past GSW without an out of this world team."

Players will sign to GSW, an out of this world team - corrected it for you MACDUB. :-)

Reply #637796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gnome, thanks - can't believe I didn't spot that.

Expected Deron Williams and Kyle Korver to provide a lot more given their ability. Pretty flat bench for Cleveland in the end.

Reply #637798 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The bench was the story in game 5. 35 Warrior bench points against the Cavs 7. You could argue that Cleveland had the top end power to compete but not the depth. This could be put down to systems and coaching also. That's the Kerr V's Lue factor right there. LeBron has had to compete not only against great talent but great coaching also. His rings were won with Spoelstra and Lue (who came half way through a season). Not exactly HOF coaches!

Reply #637807 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

This might be just me but...Lebron passing out to Korver in the corner for the miss towards the end of Game 3 pretty well decided the finals. The Cavs should have won game 3. The way they finished off the game, along with the big shots by KD was just a disaster.

Lebron got to the middle of the lane, and should have finished. Very easy to say it in hindsight, but I was watching with a Cavs fan at the time and couldn't believe he passed that off..

Reply #637808 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Maybe decided the finals is a bit over the top, but you know what I mean!

Reply #637809 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Korver is considered to be one of the best spot up shooters in the league and he was WIDE open. If that was GSW in the same situation, you bet they are passing it out to a wide open three point shooter. Korver just had to hit that shot. He badly failed to make the step up to Finals pressure.

I agree though that if they hit that shot and get another stop, maybe they win games 3 and 4, play pretty well in game 5, and even if they fall short can come back to Cleveland to try to force a game 7.

Reply #637810 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

I'm a big Korver fan (and clearly love spot up shooters generally....). I just thought that Lebron should have finished from where he got to. I'm not sure why in that particular situation he would defer to someone else. As open as Korver was, he wasn't shooting well...I cringed as soon as Lebron passed it to him.

Reply #637816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In hindsight, the Warriors losing lose years Championship is the best thing that could've happened to them. Doubt KD joins them if they win. They lose, get KD, and could now feasibly win any of the next 5 finals series.

Salary cap will cause some issues, but there will be plenty of veterans willing to take less money for a ring. All set up for a Celtics/Lakers style dynasty.

Reply #637835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the worst thing for the NBA re: competitiveness. What a shame.

Reply #637836 | Report this post

Boomers Fan  
Years ago

As a Warriors fan, i was so nervous about yesterday's game. That Cav's defence in the 4th quarter was so bad. They gav up at least 4 uncontested layups, by completely botching switches on defence. The Cav's offence generally consisted of LeBron or Kyrie going one on one with a defender, while the Warriors were patient, going through multiple pick and rolls, waiting for a mismatch, or a defensive slip up from the Cav's.

When the Cav's got Korver, D Williams * 2, Bogut, to go with Shumpert, Jefferson, Frye, i thought the respective benches would be the difference, with Cav's having the edge. I was so wrong. We knew what Iggy/Livingstone could do, but McGee, McCaw, Clark and West were all huge for the Warriors at various times in the playoffs, especially Game 5. Think a lot of them will move on for financial reasons, but the Warriors shouldn't have any problems filling their shoes on the bench.

Reply #637853 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Overview - We all suspected Durant was potentially the "best player in the world"...confirmed at the expense of all the other "potential BPITW"
I suspected Stephen Curry wasn't the BPITW...confirmed.
I also know Klay Thompson wont stick around to "just win rings"...times have changed...the Scottie Pippen role will no longer exist.

Reply #637875 | Report this post

Boomers Fan  
Years ago

Klay still has 2 years of his contract to go. He could/probably will have 3-4 rings by then, so is well and truly within his rights to leave for greener pastures. The Warriors will likely be looking for salary cap relief by then anyway, so could be a win/win.

Iggy and Livingstone are the interesting one's this off season. If they keep them, and replenish the bench, then only injuries can beat them next season.

Reply #637922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So next year the winner seems inevitable. Yawn!

Reply #637937 | Report this post

Boomers Fan  
Years ago

It seems inevitable, but CP3 goes to the Spurs, or PG goes to the Cav's, or Markell Fultz is a superstar at Boston, and all of a sudden it's not as inevitable. A side did lose the title after winning 73 games after all, so not everything is a certainty.

Reply #637940 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is a shame that Curry does not have enough ego to lose it over being only the second best player on his team.

He will apparently sign a max contract to stay in GSW, but it would be really interesting if he were to entertain offers elsewhere.

Reply #637942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting a supermax contract regardless would placate him. $41milly a year.

Reply #637943 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754