Years ago

Steven Markovic does a runner

Follow the link for more info

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16438571-23769,00.html

I heard it reported on Sunrise this morning

Topic #4151 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

There goes his career in Australia..... stupid move that one.

I know that BA and West Sydney have a say in if he plays OS of not, but does FIBA have any authority in making sure Markovic doesn't play for another team and make him honour his contract with the Razorbacks???

Reply #48201 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

One would think that the Razorbacks would have to release him before he could sign/play.

But on the other hand, why keep someone if they clearly don't want to be there?!

Reply #48207 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Doing a runner just seems to be a very very immature thing to do. Surely someone advising him has to be able to talk some sense into him and get him to return to Sydney and sit down and negotiate a resolution to this unfortunate decision.
If he snubs his nose at the Pigs and what is reported to be a legal contract he runs the risk of having the Pigs enforce it out of spite meaning he cant play ball anywhere for a year - that would be a great pity for a young player who shows so much promise. Hopefully common sense will prevail!

Reply #48214 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

If West Sydney were to make him sit out for a year, can they replace him salary cap wise?

Reply #48228 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

What would him running mean to him playing for the Boomers? If he ignores BA will he dumped for a year?

Reply #48230 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

West Sydney should tell him he can leave...as long as his new club buys out his contract. Thats a bit of a $$$ bonus.

Reply #48255 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Good Point Point Libertine ... Every club in the NBL could do with some extra Dolllars ... Its pretty plain to see he dosent want to be there ... they might as well get some money out of it

Reply #48278 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Club s making individuals buy out European contracts to play NBA is the norm OS , Good call Libertine.

Markovic could potentially earn millions of dollars over his career, take out a loan son! Ask your mate Bogey for an advance if need be.

Reply #48292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Pigs have signed Adam Darragh from the Bullets' 04/05 campaign to replace Steve Markovic. It's likely that he'll be a bench player as Rhys Carter moves into a potential starting position.

Reply #48568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This boy can play and it wont matter to his boomers hopes, he's just doing what many have done before him...he will get far more cred if he posts big numbers over there than for pigs...good luck to him...anyone know which team, which league?

Reply #48570 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Anon, name me a players that has done a runner from his CONTRACTED team, two weeks before the season starts, oh add that the contract doesn't have an Euro-out clause.

There is a big difference not suiting up for your team and having a dummy spit on the sidelines, it use to happen all the time in the NBA (before the new CBA), hell, Steve Franchise, Jimmy Jackson, Payton, and I'm sure there are others that have falled it show up for their teams, but it's another thing to skip the country and not honour your committment. A comprise wouldn't of hurt, let's say he agrees to play out this season, and he leaves next season with the blessing and a good rap from the Pigs. Surely this is more beneficial then skipping out on your team and not honouring a contract. It's playing ball for a living which millions of people would love to do, it's not a 5 year conscription into an army or playing ball in Siberia......

Markovic should compensate the Pigs, and they only two ways he's can do that is to either play or pay......... we all know he ain't gonna play.

Reply #48589 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Damn, should read failed, not falled....

Reply #48590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Belgrade Red Star in Serbia

Reply #48597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for Carter to get a chance to play. May take him a year to adjust to the point but it's well worth a shot. Rhys has been one of Australias elite in his age group since U12.

Reply #48629 | Report this post

who knows  
Years ago

Markovic is a player of unbelievable talent and has an incredible understanding of the game and there is no doubt. A lot us think that it is his fault, and i do agree to some degree, but he couldve stayed one more year. Everyone has their own decisions to make and Markovic probably made the best one but it seems he did it too late. I hope he does well and proves his worthiness in Red Star Beograd. He will do well and yes he will be a Boomer.

Reply #49029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI

Red Star are one of the most popular teams in Serbia. They have a decent league in Serbia even though their best players leave for bigger money elsewhere in Europe. He won't be playing Euroleague though because Red Star are really not that successful although they're making a good team this year. He'll still get some European action in the ULEB cup though. It will be a huge experience for him and a big culture shock but he will hopefully do well and the Boomers wont forget about him.

Check out

http://goodyear.adriaticbasket.com/

to see another comp he'll be in. It's basically the former Jugoslavia league.

Reply #49431 | Report this post

RedStar  
Years ago

He can play in Europe and i think that is best choise for him and his career.Common Steve you can do it

Reply #53534 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

A late reply, but I know Stevie personally.

I played with him on my high school team, and have known him for years.

He is a great bloke, and has always been loyal to friends and to the Razors.

I can honestly say for him to leave the team the way he did, I can assure you he would have had a very, very good reason. Given the way the Razors are losing all key players in the last couple of years, perhaps people should consider that maybe it isn't the 'players' that are the issue here. Hell even Bruce resigned as assistant!

While injuries have caused no end of bad luck for the Pigs, I belive there must be other issues at work here, because it seems to me like the Pigs just can't hold onto an important player right now.

Reply #86362 | Report this post

teenie  
Years ago

i think everyone needs to get over the fact that steve left for europe. Steves a great guy and clearly didnt want to play.

Steves a great player and i think the question we need to be asking is what made him leave!! ppl need to stop judging everything untill they know the facts first hand

Reply #188900 | Report this post

Leopard 29  
Years ago

that reply came out of left field

Reply #188920 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Holy thread resurrection batman.

Do you know what Harold Miner is doing these days?

Reply #188921 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754