SteveK2
Years ago

United vs. China tommorow 3pm AEST

Margaret Court Arena and will be on NBL TV as well. I heard they're handing out free Bulla ice cream as well, during winter, in Melbourne... Go figure... ;p.

Looks like the same Chinese players that was in the NBL All-Australian challenge. United team will have CG, Andersen, Majok, Barlow, Adnam, Moller with the help of Venky Jois, Will McDowell-White and Jordan Vandenberg.

Jois just helping out, Dean has confirmed that they have no roster spot for him so not trialling him. Does this means he's available? As for MDW and Vandenberg, becoming a pattern here where Vickerman's looking to snatch ex-Kings.

They have officially offered a contract to Ware so if that goes south will they go hard at Randle now that Cotton is back?

Topic #41522 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller and WMW did very well together at the Kings, both are team players first. CG on limited minutes I beleive he said in his interview. Adnam to start at the point I'd say, Balow at 2 if CG on small minutes, Moller 3, Anderson at 4, Majoc at 5. Sam Short also playing.. Don't understand the Vandenburg inclusion.

Reply #639891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inclusion would be to shore up numbers of the squad for the game.

Reply #639893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vandenburg playing because United dont have any backup bigmen outside Tohi Smith-Milner

CG not playing

Reply #639896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The was an article some where online about WMW and him joining the Untied.

Reply #639901 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-look-to-william-mcdowellwhite-will-play-him-against-china-on-sunday-20170714-gxbfgu.html

United or Germany

Reply #639909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game on fox sports?

Reply #639917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ no but u can stream it on Melbourne united's Facebook page

Reply #639918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl tv?

Reply #639922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes on Nbl tv.

Reply #639924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else's nbl tv app just runnin like pure shite?

Reply #639926 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Video quality on nbl.tv was absolute rubbish for the NBL vs China series, and now not working at all for the United vs China game.

Reply #639927 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Need more NBL in your life? For the complete NBL TV experience you'll be needing our 'All Access Pass'.

UPGRADE

Anyone got this?

I am a Telstra customer so I should get it for free, like last year???

Reply #639928 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody ever said Telstra customers get it free forever.

Reply #639929 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

You would of thought if this was not the case that the NBL would of made such a statement advising so, rather than abruptly interrupting service.

Reply #639930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else's stream stop with two minutes to go?

Reply #639931 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You would of thought if this was not the case that the NBL would of made such a statement advising so, rather than abruptly interrupting service.
They did.

Reply #639932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China suck.

Reply #639933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL in winter - the way it should be! Memories are floodimg back.

Reply #639934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China are playing with only four players at the end of OT. Due to too many players fouling out? They kept fouling as if their own dodgy refs were there not to call it.

Reply #639935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OT MEL 104-94 CHN

Reply #639936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson 20, Moller 20, Adnam 19, good game, enjoyable. Majok limit off with ankle injury. Anderson and Moller looked very formidable together at the 4 and 3.

Reply #639938 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

China's coach after the game:

China coach Du Feng, speaking via an interpreter, was diplomatic post game but said his side would have won with more free throws and it wouldn't put them off playing in Australia in the future.

"This for us is a good experience for us," Feng said.

"If we had the same quantity of free throws we would have won the game easy."

Feng then emphasised his point by saying "easy" in English.

David Andersen after the game:

Andersen said the Chinese side was much more aggressive on defence.

"It did get a bit out of hand at the end, they were being a bit silly, but that's how things go sometimes," Andersen said.

"Credit to the refs, they didn't get flustered or worry about too much - they called what was obvious fouls.

"They fought really hard, their coach has implemented a fight in them, in the past I have played against Chinese teams who were a bit softer than what you would expect.

"Now they are going after you, they are fouling a lot but they played hard basketball."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-preseason-melbourne-united-win-hardfought-foulridden-clash-against-china-20170716-gxc96s.html

Reply #639954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne shot more free throws because China were fouling like crazy. Enjoyable game despite it die to the closeness of it.

Reply #639958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

due

Reply #639959 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

China's coach sounds like an idiot. You foul heaps yet you expect the same amount of free throws? And you think you can win 'easy'? Bit disrespectful.

Seems like they cant handle having refs that call the game their way (or correctly) for that matter.

Reply #639970 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah well, as many have said, that's what happens when you get babied on your home court... A sense of entitlement that you think you can get away with anything and then when the game is called properly (ie. not constantly in their favour) they honestly have no clue why they aren't getting the calls...

As many have said before as well, if they constantly get treated like they do at home, it will stunt their growth as a basketball nation when they get on that international stage...

Reply #639971 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Chinese people tend to be so humble but you get them anywhere near a basketball court and they're some of the most arrogant pricks on the planet. Sure, China may have "won easily" if they had the same amount of free throws but for that to happen Melbourne United would have to have committed the same amount of foul and they simply didn't. I read somewhere that somehow this game may tarnish relations between China and the NBL; well if that's the case, let them be tarnished. If refereeing a game fairly to a team used to getting their own way will tarnish basketball relations then they aren't really a country you want relations with.

Reply #639972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow really? If our relationship were to be tarnished it should be over the cheating refs we've endured in China for the past 15 years. But the last laugh is that as mentioned above it stunts their development because they live in fairlyland. Good luck at the Asia Cup, World Cup & Olympics lol.

Reply #639991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also my prediction is now that AU & NZ are co-members of FIBA Asia due to the new regular qualifiers structure, and when they see how we dominate the Asia zone China will start crying because their status as one of the top dogs goes by the wayside. Sucked in China!

Reply #639992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam. 19 points. 16 from the line!

Reply #640010 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Maybe one day Chinese basketball will wake up to itself and see the following:

1) They're just not that good. They have the biggest player base on the planet yet struggle to compete with decent nations.

2) They're extremely coddled in their own nation, which is one of the reasons that they're just not that good.

Australia and New Zealand joining Asia will inevitably prove that to them. China is being forced out of its own little self aggrandizing rut and will have to face facts one way or another. I look forward to the arrogance being thoroughly dismantled.

Reply #640011 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/78611/19/04/64/554uL0N7F049s/

I was wondering who that import trialing with MU was, Damon Bozeman.

Reply #640019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I read somewhere that somehow this game may tarnish relations between China and the NBL"

During the NBL All-Australian games the Chinese were promoting the series as "China vs. Australia" with no mention at all of the NBL or that it was a select NBL team not the Boomers. So really I question the relationship between the two. NBL seem to think they can benefit from it but how do you when the Chinese simply marketed the team as "Australia"?

In Chinese characters it was branded as 2017 SINO-AUSTRALIAN BASKETBALL CHALLENGE

The Chinese fans thinking the series win was against the Boomers would further inflate their heads. Now scratching them re: how they lost to an Australian club and probably thinking it was the refs because they didn't get "special treatment" like back at home... LOL

Reply #640020 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In fairness though that Boomers vs China annual series there was always called the Sino-Australia series and this series replaced that one plus China's second-tier league is also called the NBL like the NZ league so marketing the team there as Australia would be much less confusing to the locals.

Reply #640022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're right about the Chinese second division being called the NBL. Doesn't help NBL Aus due to the confusion.

Reply #640023 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Canada has a league called the NBL as well. NBL seems to be the go-to name for a league when you don't have any ideas. The league has been begging for a new name for a while now as far as I'm concerned.

Reply #640028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep it for historical reasons.

Annoying as we were first and all others NBLs like the NZ, Canadian, Chinese ones came way after. Hmpph!

The problem is all these modern leagues copy NBA... "uhh we can't use exactly NBA so let's go with xBA or NBx. so ultimately it either becomes BA or NB"

Reply #640032 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Annoying as we were first and all others NBLs like the NZ, Canadian, Chinese ones came way after.
Not even close

Reply #640038 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's also the other US NBL (1937), the UK NBL (1972), and Bulgarian NBL (1942).

Reply #640040 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It sucks that soccer took the A League name because I think that would have fit the NBL just as well.

Reply #640041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I knew you would reply kr.. lol.

Six year league from 1890... I doubt the founding fathers of the NBL in 1979 knew of it.

What irks me is the Canadian one now in this day and age of the internet and still went with NBL...

Reply #640043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME no way calling NBL A-League is like Melb being named United.... oh :s

The reason why football here is A-League because it's the common naming of leagues in Asia like J-League and K-League... naming a basketball league that way in this region would be awfu'.

Reply #640044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm proud NBL has had the same name since 1979. Every other pro sport has newer names, hardly any stable history in Aus pro sport. Most are just glorified state leagues who added a McFranchise teams who go on about having 100yrs of history... lmao

Reply #640046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Nearly National Basketball League. Says it all.

Reply #640048 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Australians know the NBL. Changing the leagues name would be stupid especially as its on the up again.

The league has a hard enough time getting any form of mainstream recognition, yet the NBL is still well known. Changing it to the "B-League" "ABL" "BAL" or whatever would be the start of another decline in basketball as no one would know what it is. It wouldnt get enough media attention for people to catch on.

Reply #640052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754