Isaac
Years ago

Boomers squad for FIBA Asia Cup selection camp

In partnership with the city of Gold Coast, a 20-man Australian Boomers squad are heading into camp this week at the Carrara Sports Precinct in preparation for the FIBA Asia Cup to be held in Lebanon from August 8-20.

The squad features a mix of NBL athletes and three Australian Rio Olympic team members while Ben Madgen has withdrawn from the initial list and been replaced by Centre of Excellence scholarship holder, Matt Johns.
David Andersen Melbourne United
Todd Blanchfield Sydney Kings
Angus Brandt Perth Wildcats
Jason Cadee Sydney Kings
Mitch Creek Adelaide 36ers
Cam Gliddon Cairns Taipans
Chris Goulding Melbourne United
Matt Hodgson Adelaide 36ers
Tom Jervis Brisbane Bullets
Matt Johns Centre of Excellence
Nic Kay Illawarra Hawks
Daniel Kickert Brisbane Bullets
Kevin Lisch Sydney Kings
Majok Majok Melbourne United
Mitch McCarron Cairns Taipans
Brad Newley Sydney Kings
Mitch Norton Illawarra Hawks
Nathan Sobey Adelaide 36ers
Clint Steindl Europe
Jesse Wagstaff Perth Wildcats

Topic #41530 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Matt Johns? No disrespect but surely Sam Froling or Kody Stattman would have been a better alternative.

Why are Brock Motum and Ryan Broekhoff not in this squad?

If other European based Aussies can make themselves available, why can't these two? (Just curious to know)

Reply #640092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also gives the players familiarity with the Gold Coast venue since it is hosting basketball at the Commonwealth Games next year. You would think a similar B squad as the one for Asian Cup will play in it.

Pretty impressive international calendar we have all of a sudden now after decades of nothing:

Aug 2017 2017 FIBA Asia Cup
Nov 2017 2019 FIBA World Cup first qualfication window
Feb 2018 2019 FIBA World Cup 2019 second qualfication window
Apr 2018 2018 Commonwealth Games
Jun/Jul 2018 2019 FIBA World Cup 2019 third qualfication window

And then for the following season:

Second round of 2019 FIBA World Cup qualification - September 2018, November 2018 and February 2019

Nice way to pad more action around our short NBL season (Oct 17-Mar 18)!

Reply #640093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Moller?

Reply #640097 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Basketball at the Commonwealth Games will be played at the GC Entertainment Centre in Broadbeach (where the Blaze played)and not at Carrara

Reply #640098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and also at Brisbane, Cairns & Townsville apparently for the early stages.

Reply #640099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton/Cadee
Lisch/Sobey/Goulding
Newley/Creek/Blanchfield
Kickert/Kay
Anderson/Hodgson

Reply #640100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where are Bolden, Adel, Acuil, landale, Moneke, Humphries?

what a rubbish team.

Reply #640101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think the Cup being in August all players should be available. But I believe NBA teams (and college??) will cry about it?

Reply #640102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with 097 above, shown a lot in a short time..

Reply #640106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Moller unavailable due to World Uni Games

Reply #640107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People on here crack me up, they name college players they've heard of, that have no experience at a senior or professional level. Yes some of the guys, like Moneke will eventually be great pro's, but you obviously don't understand the levels if you think they are up to the level right now. Humphries got released from the summer league because he wasn't ready. Matt Hodgson is better than him at this moment.

Reply #640111 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, let's name all the 10 year old black kids we've ever seen. They'll be better than grown men who are seasoned professionals.

Reply #640112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ haha. spot on.

Reply #640117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many players in this squad are/ will be good enough for the nba, the highest standard basketball competition in the world? Most likely none.

why not pick players who most likely will make the nba, such as Landale, adel, bolden, acuil, humphries, Gak, moneke and will lead the boomers in future olympics campaigns?

Reply #640119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME , THESE GUYS ARE NOT 10 YEAROLDS,
They are around 20~23.
You pick best team without considering the colour
of their skin. We are not racists.
If the best boomers team is made up of 12 black players, so be it!

Reply #640121 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Looking at that list, you can definitely see why most teams need import point guards, not much depth.

Reply #640125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These boomers selectors are losers ~ they keep picking journeymen nbl players who will not be the mainstays of the team in future major tournaments and they ignoring guys who can play at the highest level in the nba right now or a few years down track like bolden, adel and landale.

Reply #640126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read somewhere college/NBA players won't be picked. Don't understand why, get the core ready and use to each other in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup then use that momentum to do well in 2019 FIBA World Cup and then ultimately medal at the 2020 Olympics. But apparently NBA will say no to their players playing in it which is pathetic considering it is out of season.

Reply #640128 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"why not pick players who most likely will make the nba, such as Landale, adel, bolden, acuil, humphries, Gak, moneke and will lead the boomers in future olympics campaigns?"

What part of "not available" escaped your notice? And we're talking about winning NOW. There is plenty of time to bring these guys in, if and when they reach the required level.

Reply #640132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, even if we're talking about winning NOW,
the inclusions of guys like Bolden, adel and landale would only improve the boomers.

Reply #640136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current team will probably win Asia Cup anyway. Asia is incredibly weak. The top two teams are Iran and China. China as we all know suck, Iran seem to trade wins with them so not that much better/worse. But still would be nice to have more studs to guarantee a title in our first attempt in Asia.

Reply #640137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have qualifiers coming up so they probably want to get those players used to the system.

Reply #640141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good point.

Reply #640142 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"ME, even if we're talking about winning NOW,
the inclusions of guys like Bolden, adel and landale would only improve the boomers."

I said it before. They're not available. Anyone would have Bolden in the team but he is not available.

Reply #640149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie, I agree Johns seems an odd inclusion when the other two you named have consistently shown themselves to be outstanding prospects. Johns not exactly a dominant force in SEABL.

Reply #640150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff, Moller, Motum and maybe even Mathiang would have been handy.

Reply #640177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Barlow getting overlooked?

Reply #640178 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Barlow?
He's questionable as a starting 5 player in the NBL.

Reply #640180 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Some people on here really struggle with the concept of a player not being available!! Why didn't the selectors pick Delly, Mills, Ingles et al..............

I'm sure that they have picked the best squad AVAILABLE.

Reply #640183 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Broekhoff, Moller, Motum and maybe even Mathiang would have been handy."

N
O
T

A
V
A
I
L
A
B
L
E
!
!
!
!

Reply #640189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say it louder ME

But seriously, Daniel Johnson? He starts over Hodgeson and is available (in Adelaide right now)
Barlow? Ogilvy?
I mean what is with this C tier selection going on

Reply #640197 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It would be nice to hear Lemanis explain the selection criteria, as in the main purpose of the selections. Is this viewed as a B-team, like a second tier squad, which rules out anyone earmarked as an A-squad member? Are they selecting a team as a preparation for the qualifiers (consisting only of players who will be available for the qualifiers)? Are they selecting based on the best team available right now to win the Asia Cup? Or is this designed as a team with more of a developmental focus towards 2019-20 (which seems unlikely based on the names selected)?

Based on selections, I believe it is a team that is to prepare for the qualifiers, consisting only of players who will most likely be available to play in all qualification windows. This means that NBA and college players are not really high priority inclusions as they will not be a part of some or all of the upcoming qualification games that really matter.

Reply #640248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes rjd that would be the most logical explanation.

Reply #640254 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The game will give Lemanis some insight into the forthcoming Asia Cup in Lebanon.

"The Boomers come into camp on Wednesday on the Gold Coast at Carrara, where we're playing China tomorrow," he said.

“It gives us a great opportunity to work with this group, building toward November.”

Understandably Lemanis has his sights more firmly planted on Australia winning through the Asian qualifiers for the 2019 FIBA World Cup - which starts with the NBL window in November – than the Asia Cup.

“Our mindset going into the Asia Cup is to win it but there is a bigger picture,” he said.

“We’ll be playing against teams in the Asia Cup we haven’t seen before but also in our Asian qualifiers and that’s do-or-die.”

While Australia heads into both the Asia Cup and Asian qualifiers as the highest-ranked national team in the region, that FIBA ranking is based on performances by the Boomers at major international events. In other words, it is based on how Bogut, Ingles, Mills, Dellavedova, Baynes and Co have done, not necessarily on how our NBL best will do.

Yes, some teams will be easybeats but overall the qualifiers are still a tougher challenge than many expect.

Lemanis said he was looking forward to how the new NBL faces embraced the challenge.

“I’m excited for all the guys,” he said.

“(For example) It will be interesting to see how (Matt) Hodgson goes.

“Mitch Creek – it’s his time now to step up and deliver at this level.”

Creek’s game continued to evolve and he finished strongly for Utah Jazz at the Summer League.

Adelaide 36ers teammate Nathan Sobey unfortunately was set back by a groin injury.

“I’m really excited about Sobes but with his groin strain at Summer League, we will manage him,” Lemanis said, adding it was important for his Boomers program to keep faith with NBL clubs.

That meant not putting any players unnecessarily at risk.

Plus post-Asia Cup, it’s the qualifiers that are more significant.

“We want to get our structures in place,” Lemanis said of this eight-day camp. “That’s the bigger picture.”

A series in Qatar ahead of the Asia Cup has been cancelled due to political unrest there.

Lemanis said he also was looking forward to the emergence of Mitch Norton, Jason Cadee and Mitch McCarron.

“My experiences with Jason Cadee have been great and I had Mitch McCarron at the Uni Games in 2015.”

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/bullets-blessing-for-torrey/

Reply #640260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is actually unavailable apart Froling m the NBA and euro guys?

Reply #640261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis has a lot on his plate now juggling both Bullets and Boomers duties.

Reply #640269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when the domestic and international seasons didn't clash we had a full time Boomers coach twiddling his thumbs.

Now that they intersect the coach is part time after taking up an NBL gig.

LOL

Reply #640272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis and johns ... seriously..

Reply #640273 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I think those that are assuming that some of the college guys would get selected weather they are available or not are giving too much cred to the NCAA level of play. Even if Froling was available (I have no idea) I doubt he would get selected. Similar with Landale who would be streets ahead of Froling at this stage. I do however know that Jock isn't available. He underwent and intensive 6 week program last off-season which paid dividends in his breakout year and he is doing the same this year. Often guys will get selected for a camp to gain experience for the future (read Johns) which is a good idea for a player at the beginning of their career.

Reply #640294 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

AKA, Lets hope that Landale is working even harder this pre season. If he can continue to eat right and add extra lean muscle to his frame, it will continue to improve his overall game and importantly, speed and athleticism

Reply #640309 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

A few very avg players in this squad buts its only Asia and we should be winning or going very close to winning with that squad.

Reply #640379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Moller not available? The guy proved himself against china and we are in need of a combo forward.

COE JoHns is the only one in the squad.

Reply #640446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I want to see Moller in it.

Reply #640447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO

6'1 J.Cadee
6'2 M.Norton
6'2 K.Lisch
6'4 C.Goulding
6'4 N.Sobey
6'5 M.Creek
6'7 B.Newley
6'9 C.Moller(even though not selected)
6'10 D.Kickert
6'11 D.Anderson
6'11 M.Hodgson

1 of
6'7 T.Blsnchfield
6'9 N.Kay
6'9 M.Majok

Reply #640449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would've like to see Moller in the squad as well, maybe by being on that junior boomers Uni games team is the reason.

Reply #640455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take him out. Uni games mean nothing. Plenty of college replacements.

Reply #640457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly

Reply #640469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a crap team.

Reply #640471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:02 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754