Isaac
Years ago

Breakers vs Taipans, Oct 8

Game on SBS.

Topic #41906 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Is SBS using the NZ commentary team?

Looking forward to seeing these Breakers imports, Sosa in particular.

Reply #649382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, usual Kiwi commentators.

Reply #649384 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Interesting the benches in Adelaide and NZ have moved so we can see them on TV, i wonder if this was a request for TV. Also Henare looks strange in a suit.

Reply #649387 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Is there a site other than nbl.com.au for live stats?

Reply #649391 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

This is some pretty ugly basketball so far. Turnovers and missed shots at the basket for both teams...

Reply #649392 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

If the refs keep calling all these fouls for rebounding contests its going to be a long season.

Hate it

Reply #649394 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Also so far this season it's nearly a guaranteed free throw if you get inside the key in traffic.

Reply #649396 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Neither of these teams will play finals ball.

Reply #649397 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

What was the tech foul about? Did Ferny gob off at the poor refereeing?

Reply #649398 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Manu, try the NBL app. Good option for box scores and play by play.

Reply #649399 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Tech foul for backchaat to the ref. NZ looks way on top here and look to be getting some home cooking. NZ should run away with this.

Reply #649400 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Cairns are awful. Many chances but can't get closer than 5. NZ should break this wide open.

Reply #649404 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

That's tough on cairns. Three pointer should had countered because the three ball went is as the foul was committed on the gloor.

Reply #649405 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Have you looked at the foul count, Wilburs? NZ's first half play isn't sustainable.

Reply #649406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns aren't awful, their offence is working pretty well

Reply #649409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the umpires realise we want to watch players play, no get called for tit for tat crap all game?

Reply #649410 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Had a stretch where they were awful but they've woken up. NZ has too many players on 4 fouls to make a physical impact. Impressive from Cairns.

Reply #649411 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Cheers Isaac. I didn't try the app, but I assume it feeds off the site?

Went back online in the second term

Reply #649416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili is trash doe

Reply #649417 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Cairns just needs to use the clock and find a shot

Reply #649418 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Going to be a long season for the Breakers I'd say.

Reply #649420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GG Cairns

Made a mockery of the bookies

Reply #649421 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Hell we are going to struggle to stay in games!!

Reply #649435 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's close to the worst officiated NBL game I have ever seen, and I realise how much stiff competition there is for that title.

That was plain baffling and ruined the game as a spectacle from the outset.

Reply #649437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Paul

That was just plain boring.

Reply #649439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do Kenney and McCaron finish the game when the stats sheet shows 5 fouls each,Vukona sit on the bench fouled out and stats show 4. Who knows how accurate is that stats sheet.

Reply #649453 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I disagree, @paul. I think the refs have been surprisingly consistent across the games this first round. The Breakers don't seem to have watched any games, as they haven't accounted for how the whistle is being blown.

Not everyone enjoys a game where offense isn't allowed to flow like a Lakers Showtime era NBA game. There were periods of the Syd Adel game where defence was almost non-existant. The Snakes showed how to stay with a team, and over ran both Hawks and Breakers this weekend, while still putting up pretty good numbers in the end, themselves.

I like it!

Reply #649455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought the reffing in the first three games was good, especially Adelaide v Melbourne which was excellent.

Perth v Brisbane was a major departure from how Scott Butler has got them calling the game, letting both teams get away with a lot of grabbing and pushing ala 2011-13.

Today was reminiscent of the first half of last season when a lot refs just called a foul whenever there was contact. I thought things had moved on, but today was just local junior level reffing.

Reply #649459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The breakers bigs had more fouls than points.

I just thought it was pathetic Reffing. Any contact was called. Usually by the wrong ref. The amount of time a foul was called and the player then had to contort his body to see where the call might coming from. Usually it was the ref from behind on some obtuse angle

Boxing out = Call a foul

Both technical fouls were unnecessary

Players getting called when they didn't even touch them.

There were so many bad fouls and turnovers. Oh my goodness how many simple turnovers. Players driving and kicking out without even looking and giving it straight to the opposition

It was a boring game

Reply #649493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd number anyone???

Reply #649607 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I like how aggressive we've been attacking the rim, and Stevie Weigh has low key turned into a low post beast.

Reply #649615 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

More than low-key, Podge. Going to him first in games.

Reply #649616 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

yeah i think he had the first 3 shots both games. Defensively he's been great as well.

Probably now is, if his form keeps up, where do you bring MC in at when he's healthy?

Reply #649636 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Bench Glidz maybe. He's been morning but disappointing. For the last 2 years.

Reply #649640 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha never! I'd move to Townsville before I'd support benching Glidz.

MC would make a better 5 than a 2 anyways - especially against a team that runs a stretch 5 and/or run that high PR.

You probably end up with better rim protection than any other lineup given his mobility and reach.

Reply #649675 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I didn't see Carrera in any preseason action. Thought it was interesting that Fearne kept his options open regarding keeping Evans in the longer term.

I've said for a long time that Stevie should play lots more 4, btw.

Reply #649737 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

If he's going to be out for a while, Jerry would be great Jawai cover.

Jerry's as Aussie as Tai Wesley, so there should be no problem with the rules.......

Reply #649749 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I have to admit, 'Podge, I wasn't thinking about cover for Jawai, but instead of the return of Carrera. I just have the feeling Fearne went cold on Carrera as soon as he arrived.

Reply #649779 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In the presser in Auckland Fearne referred to Carrera as someone who will be a major piece, so going by that I think he still has him in his plans.

Reply #649781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are NZ struggling now? Even hiding crowd figure from their big stadium?

Reply #649784 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@paul, I didn't see that presser. That certainly puts a different perspective to it.

We haven't seen too much of Evans; I'd say he can certainly hold his own, though. He has a good degree of self-confidence, without showing the out and out swagger that a certain import we had last season showed. The difference being that import didn't have the ball control or the mental control to contain himself, whereas Evans seems to play at a level where he's prepared to have a crack, but not try to go far beyond his capabilities. I wouldn't mind betting he finds a home in the NBL at some stage. He certainly is better than some of the options clubs have turned up over this and last season.

Reply #649787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754