Anonymous
Years ago

Why do NZ persist with budget imports?

The Breakers' local core, featuring the likes of Abercrombie, Penney, Vukona, Pledger and Loe is more than decent. In fact it's quite good. But why do they continue to recruit budget imports to go alongside this core?

Watching today's game against Cairns, Sosa and Newbill look to be the two most budget imports in the league.

It doesn't appear the Breakers have learned their lesson from last season. They started the season with a budget import PG as well and looked average, but when they recruited Dillard and Carter they looked very dangerous and a Top 4 side. They just ran out of time to make up for the poor start.

Now they are doing it again. Is it a sign of a tighter budget from upper management? Is this the reason why Vickerman left? Seems strange from a club that was a 3-peat champion not that long ago.

Topic #41907 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think it's a mystery. The commentary team mentioned $$$ tonight, and I'd say Dillard's play last season probably priced him right out of NZ. The price of putting together a championship-caliber team right now is a good deal beyond 3 years ago and I guess the Breakers just don't have the finances for it.

Reply #649425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should just get one import then and spend all the money on Dillard. Sure, the team wouldn't have as much depth but the starting group would be dangerous. I think you rather do that then just build an average team with limited upside.

Reply #649428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the new qualification system, it might be that they consider the NBL secondary to their FIBA goals.

Reply #649431 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

NZ like Sydney will suffer for having only 2 imports

Reply #649432 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That was ugly. Too many TO's, poor shooting, poor defence by both teams. Cairns ground it out.

Reply #649433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Edgar Sosa averaged 19.3ppg and 5.9apg in the Italian first division last season and was one of the comp's best players.

He would be costing quite a bit given the options he would have had in Europe.

Reply #649436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, you make a good point about Sosa's worth in the open market.

The other thing I noticed was that Henare was wearing a suit, whereas last year he dressed casually. Perhaps the Breakers are actually stepping up in class.

Reply #649440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was this topic posted by Kobethinksherules?

Reply #649451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Their imports scored OK. Penney however.

I believe they work to a budget these days and prioritise their local players.

Reply #649477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the Breakers had their dynasty it didn't take as much money as it does now to be one of the big spenders. Time has changed and total monetary spend has shifted upwards.

Reply #649517 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Are NBA teams making cuts at the end of the month?

Adelaide, Sydney, New Zealand (heck even Perth and Cairns could cut an underperforming PF import) could be waiting for NBA calibre imports to improve these rosters

Reply #649530 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Even as a NZ fan, i'd admit we were fortunate to go through a really good period where we were able to have a very strong core of very good TB's playing for us at really good $ rates (supplemented by 'unofficial' NZNBL top ups). There were a few years there where our rosters were really set and we only needed to put the cherries on top with good imports.

However, with Vukona and Penney slowing down significantly, Abercrombie seemingly declining a tad/not kicking on the same, Webster overseas, Boucher having retired a few years ago and Pledger's development not having quite taken off - we haven't got the same quality of core as we once did; we do need to acknowledge this and look to up our recruitment

I can understand we won't to develop local talent but it's a fine balance between doing that and still being competitive (results get the $ and consumer interest).

If they do want to get the best of both worlds (local talent and results); they should throw some coin at Fotu and/or Tai Webster next year to get them back.

Still didn't agree with cutting Corey Webster.

Reply #649561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Answer is in the question, GM said they are on budget but if one of main local players goes down they can bring in decent replacement with new import.

Reply #649563 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I don't think you can say that the guys who get cut from the NBA teams at the end of the month are of NBA standard. if they were, they wouldn't have been cut.

Reply #649588 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When the Breakers had their dynasty it didn't take as much money as it does now to be one of the big spenders. Time has changed and total monetary spend has shifted upwards.
That's a good point and one I forgot to make. And even when you look at the big spenders, only Melbourne's are a cut above with Ware, Prather and Boone. Perth had an import debut scoreless and would probably be spending over $500k on Cotton, and Sydney might've overpaid for their coach instead!

Cairns don't exactly have big guns. Adelaide only have two imports right now, Sydney also. Hawks have a role player in their third spot.

Sosa didn't do too badly on debut, did he?

Reply #649631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754