Tassie Devil.
Last year

Tassie eyes Nbl return.

Hobart Chargers eyeing to get an nbl back in for Tasmania.
$5mill. Budget. Pay wall article below.

HOBART Chargers president David Bartlett believes a Tasmanian NBL side could be competitive with a yearly budget of $5 million as the push to join the national league continues.

Bartlett has been in Cairns with his family and attended the Taipans' opening match of the 2017-18 season last Friday night, before visiting the club’s headquarters earlier this week.

With a population of around 180,000 Cairns has a model Bartlett would loosely base a Tasmanian bid for a licence on — aside from the ownership component.

The Taipans are the only not-for-profit club left in the league, and Bartlett has revealed his vision of a completely privatised business model is the only way the NBL will entertain expansion.

"There is some work to do around the ownership model. I have some thoughts about how that can happen, and government has a role to play in the start-up phase of any proprietary limited company that might end up owning a Tas­manian NBL franchise," Bartlett said. “In terms of budget, the Cairns Taipans’ budget is about $3 million, the Melbourne United budget is something like $10.5 million.

“Tasmania shouldn’t want to go into the NBL and be an also-ran, we have to go into the NBL with a view of being competitive and eventually winning the national championship.

“I think a budget of $5 million should be what we are aiming for, and when you think about what we pour as a state into sport, bringing sport to play here, there is a role for government to play.

“But ultimately it is going to come down to corporate sponsorship and ownership to make this an attractive offer for the NBL.

“The real clarity that came out of this is the ownership model is the thing we have to get right, and the level of professionalism we put into a bid, we can’t go half-baked.”

From his game night experience Bartlett believes the Chargers are not far away from an NBL product, and is confident the club can go another level with fan engagement in 2018 as it strives to enhance a reputation as providing the best SEABL content in the country.

Report this topic

Anonymous
Last year
15:00 12 Oct 17

Reply #650030

re: Tassie eyes Nbl return.

Hope they get a team

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
16:32 12 Oct 17

Reply #650045

Would be great, government money should be allocated as both Hawks and Roos afl sides seem to have no problem getting it.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
18:43 12 Oct 17

Reply #650061

Certainly the closest they have ever been to returning to the NBL. Here's hoping.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
13:07 13 Oct 17

Reply #650140

They have to change their name back to Tassie Devils!

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
13:21 13 Oct 17

Reply #650147

If they do get an NBL team I assume Chargers in SEABL remain. So no change, just a retention of the old name :)

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
13:44 13 Oct 17

Reply #650153

Tasmania are attempting to get an A-League side:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/a-league-bid-for-tasmania-alive-and-well/9045834

NBL better hurry up!

Report this post

Bear
Last year
14:24 13 Oct 17

Reply #650157

Anon^, other than maybe spreading the corporate sponsorship dollar a bit thin, I don't necessarily see the A-League as a direct competitor or a hold up to an NBL team.

Different crowd
Different venue
Different ownership
Different pretty much everything

If anything, if I lived there I would be absolutely wrapped to have an NBL team and an A-League Team to support in summer and the SEABL, plus an AFL team in the winter!

Report this post

Curtley
Last year
17:40 13 Oct 17

Reply #650195

Does anyone know if the Silverdome in Launceston can host basketball games?

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
18:23 13 Oct 17

Reply #650216

Yes, United were planning on playing a game there. Has hosted netball.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
19:07 13 Oct 17

Reply #650227

Calling them the Devils would be obviously ideal or Tasmania United if they also play in Launceston. I'm guessing that is definately what the A-League team would be called if it was created.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
20:23 13 Oct 17

Reply #650245

Silverdome I believe is about to undergo massive upgrading.
Intentions are games across the state. Not sure about the N/W as they don't have a huge capacity there for crowds.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
19:02 14 Oct 17

Reply #650639

Good interview by the Chargers President on ABC radio this morning. Their aim is to be in the NBL in 2 seasons time. Budget of $5mill with a player budget up near $2mill.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
19:17 14 Oct 17

Reply #650646

Interesting that Melbourne's spend is $10M per year. I wonder how much of that is player salaries?

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
19:40 14 Oct 17

Reply #650659

Has to be Devils.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
09:46 2 Dec 17

Reply #660009

President David Bartlett has very good discussions with Larry Kestleman.

"He said directly to me, 'you get the commercial model right and there is no reason Tasmania can't have an NBL side’.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/basketball/commercial-model-is-crucial-to-tasmanian-nbl-bid-success/news-story/70b0e774c5cbea4ddbb6cd38ed933ab7

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
12:31 2 Dec 17

Reply #660028

Let's hope so, can't understand how tasie government gives money to Hawks and Roos afl, start giving it to tasie basketball and get there own team, not blow inns.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
12:36 2 Dec 17

Reply #660029

Yes now the soccer and cricket want a slice of that Government pie. Soccer want $6mill for ground improvements!

Report this post

D2
Last year
15:29 3 Dec 17

Reply #660182

Pfft.
It's one thing to say we'd aim for a budget of $5M, its an entirely different matter to actually raise $5M in sponsorship.
And whats more to have it locked in for a minimum of say 5 years.

I also don't like the way people immediately start claiming that the government needs to chip in. Tassie is the poorest state in the country, and the government has better things to spend its money on.
People cite the AFL, but thats slightly misleading. The deal with the AFL is basically that the AFL pours money into Tassie, and in return the government provides sponsorship. In reality it is just another way for the AFL to subsidise Melbourne clubs.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
17:40 3 Dec 17

Reply #660197

Afl pours money in to tassie, you've never had to deal much with the afl, there are very good at making it look like it pours in money. Norths don't get that many supporters in either. The Tasmanian government would be better putting money into their own basketball team not ring inns.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
19:07 3 Dec 17

Reply #660202

Unlikely the current government will be in next season ;)

Report this post

D2
Last year
23:24 3 Dec 17

Reply #660208

Point is that the supposed sponsorship of Hawthorn and Norths is a sham. Its all part of an agreement, where the AFL agrees to pay for some stuff, and in return the government agrees to "sponsor" those teams. Just a backdoor method of diverting funds.

So sure, if LK is willing to pay for a bunch of stuff in Taswegia, I'm sure tje government could find some "sponsorship" for an NBL team.

Report this post

Paul
Last year
11:35 4 Dec 17

Reply #660232

Tassie might need to move to China if they want to get in.

Report this post

Anonymous
Last year
11:48 4 Dec 17

Reply #660233

Why's that Paul? Last I heard China wasn't an option.

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Rabbit 83

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Dunk.com.au - Custom basketball uniforms
Liam Flynn - basketball coaching and consulting

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Wed 21 Feb 2018 | Posts: 699,022 | Last 7 days: 1,142