Zodiac
Years ago

Joey Wright calls out DJ & Shorter

SATURDAY night at home against the Sydney Kings will reveal whether the Adelaide 36ers are going to capitalise on the team's undoubted talent and depth, or whether it may just crash and burn this NBL season.

Expected to bounce back at home after a losing road double to New Zealand and Melbourne, instead the Sixers collapsed in the last quarter, bamboozled by Illawarra’s defensive zone tricks, traps and treats, outscored 33-15 for a rousing 96-87 Hawks win.

While that success you would expect should springboard Illawarra to further gains, Wright post-game singling out import playmaker Shannon Shorter and longtime defensive liability Daniel Johnson as players needing to get with the program was a calculated gamble.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/wright-or-wrong-dice-are-rolling/

At least something is happening that fourth quarter against the Hawks was humiliating.

I still don't know how it's possible to be up by double figures going into the start of the final quarter on your home court and to then lose by double figures.

Topic #42204 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am not convinced that singling out players for negative attention out in the public is a good strategy.

I hope it works but could back fire.

Reply #657712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Joey shown his hand too early?

His comments indicate he is fed up with DJ and won't be interested in him past this season (I'm assuming this is DJ's last year on his current contract).

This results in DJ going through the motions for the rest of the season as he will be thinking of his next club.

Reply #657718 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..here's one you may know. . you may not know it...
crows coach singled out 'pathetic pitman' ....later , they won the premiership..

Reply #657726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is running out of ways to get through to this team. I've been saying it for a while, he has lost this group. It’s getting close to 'we need a new voice in the locker room’. I’d start to switch off from his dramatic loud out bursts that achieve nothing.

Reply #657727 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Imports come and go but I did find it interesting that Joey called out DJ when defence has never been much of a concern for him, but yes it's the last year of DJ's contract.

Reply #657728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And we all know Joey has years and years left on his deal. So at the end of the day a player knows he can't outlast the coach.

Reply #657731 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Camel 31,

Perhaps the difference though between Malcolm Blight & Joey as the anon below you alluded to is that Blight knew when to use a spray, Joey seemingly goes to it too quickly and the danger is the players having heard it all before start tuning the coach out.

If that starts happening it either means major roster overhaul or the coach gets the knife.

Reply #657732 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Re tuning out ... reading DJ's comments on Joey's criticism, in a Boti piece, I think it was, that is pretty much what he said.

Effectively a pretty dismissive 'we're used to it'.

Reply #657735 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought that too DJ seemed to give it the metaphorical shrug where as Shorter seemed pretty offended.

The quotes are in the blog post of Boti's I linked to.

Reply #657736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Joey calls himself out for once. It is always someone elses fault.

He wasn't calling out DJ when he was ripping it up in Cairns or Sobey after the forst game.

Guys at this level know when they have had a bad night and dont need to have it rammed down their throat the way Joey does it.

Can only see this getting worse and ending up with a team that does not play for their coach.

Reply #657799 | Report this post

Triton90  
Years ago

Wonder if JW still flogs his players at extra training sessions, after a loss. Has caused injuries at these ridiculous poorly timed punishment sessions.

Reply #657804 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Give it a break. Calling for heads. Season far from done. Pick off Sydney and team moves on. Too many keyboard warriors _ the team made gd last year and is well placed to play finals this year and with experience gained - clearly a better unit - might make a few of year look stupid. Team is well.balanced and really just a game or 2 aeay fom getting on a roll. They shown at best are unstoppable. Believing not disbelieving

Reply #657880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team looks good on paper. They look about as excited and happy as someone at a funeral in court though. Wright needs to shut his mouth and coach the right way, not the Wright way. Players will move on no loyalty in pro sports anymore. And he doesn't have the owners who will bail him out and buy a title like in Brisbane. Facts.

Reply #657886 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Players have pride in achievements and this is instinct. The2 will respond but love to see mitch given role as on court captain. Think this really was poor decision thats biting big time. Joeys needs to know and given mitch the licence to have his back.

Reply #657892 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Wright was the same last season and they finished the regular season first. I didn't see you all complaining about him then.

Every other coach has a go at their players but because you focus on Wright that is all you see.

If people actually watch the post match interview they will see that he was a lot more positive than the original article made him out to be. All he was doing was making his players accountable. They aren't babies who are struggling to deal with it as you all are making it out to be. All the players have a lot of respect for him. If you want to think otherwise that is up to you.

Reply #657896 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"love to see mitch given role as on court captain. Think this really was poor decision thats biting big time."

What difference does it make if he is captain or not? He still can say the same things when he is on the court. The team still follow him whether he is the captain or not.

Reply #657897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha ha Brunson don't choke on Joey's cigar. OMG that is funny

Reply #657898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson

In the interview I saw Wright said if we cant get them onboard (the 2 players) we will remove them from the equation.

Thats positive! Not

Reply #657982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754