Panther
Years ago

Player Representation at AGM's

Just a thought to throw out to everyone. I was just thinking that perhaps it would be a benefit to have something similar to a player's union and have a player representative at each of the league's AGM's who should receive a vote with all decisions.Maybe having a player there to express the player's point of view would help get some clarification on what may be best for the players and the game itself.
For example, I think that most players would agree that the All-Star game, although it could have been a bit more professionally run is a good idea and should be an annual event. If President's of each clubs had known the players point of view then maybe we would still have it?
And with a number of potential candidates, Paul Bell, Scott Whitmore (although not playing still has his finger on the pulse), Paul Bauer, Scott Thur, Ben Hodges etc it wouldn't be hard to find someone to do it.

Topic #4240 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Panther, wheres the punch line?

Reply #49235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everyone is always welcome at an agm very few ever bother to turn up

Reply #49269 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah everyone can go to an AGM, but they cant vote.

What Panther's very sensible suggestion is that there is an ABA version of the NBLPA (NBL PLayers Association) and that Association actually has voting rights at the AGM.

Panther, I guess it's always been thought that the President's would vote in the clubs best interests, and if the club isn't the players, what is the club? However, in these times, the clubs have to do whatever they can to make money (nothing wrong with that) and the the quest for $$ sometimes might clash with player interests.

Great idea Panther....you should try and get the ball rolling.

Reply #49270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't he talking club agm's as a player he can vote i thought he was saying that players should go to agm of their own clubs to make their point of view known

Reply #49278 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, it could work at club level as well, but I think if the idea was to be implemented, maybe the ABA PLayers Association could also have a rep at the league AGM.

Reply #49286 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

The decision to have an Allstar game would not come from the BASA or ABL AGM but from the Senior Committee. Every Club has a representative on this Committee. Speak to your delegate and have them raise the matter which would be voted on by the full Committee after consultation with the Clubs. Any issues can be dealt with if they are referred through the relevant channels.

Reply #49301 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yes Yogee, I was talking at a League level. We have a player representative at our Club meetings as much as possible, but I was referring to the league's AGM's and involving that representative in the decision making process by allowing to vote.

Reply #49353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who would be a good candidate?

I wonder if Paul Bell has any spare minutes in his week?

Reply #49373 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754