LoveBroker
Years ago

Sydney @ Cairns 3rd Feb.

Their last home game and Cairns make Sydney look good.

Sydney 93 Cairns 86.

Cairns import trio collectively amassed an impressively embarassing 10 points on 4/14 FG.

Stevie Weigh had his best +/- for his final game in front of the indifferent home crowd, he had 0 minutes.

Nate had 2 points on zero field goals in 10 minutes.

Sydney are playing like JVG / Gaze have told them they are in 4th spot on the ladder. Well done to them for putting up some fight.

Cairns and Aaron Fearne have been abject failures this season.

When your best player is Alex Loughton, this is a team that needs to be torn down.

Weigh checked out a while ago.
Nate never checked in.

Gliddon would struggle to start in any other team in the NBL except Illawarra and Brisbane. You'd take Randle or Lisch over Gliddon, you'd take Damian Martin over Gliddon, same with Ware/CG43, Sosa/Newbill, Short/Sobey.

McCarron is the only one you'd want to keep, but should get a better deal anywhere else in the league. United could use him should they jettison CG43.

The selection of imports are by far the worst in the league, yes, even worse than Sydney, even worse than NZ who had TWO.

Egwu is a good team man, shame he isn't a good 5 man too.

Schoochie lost interest around the half way mark of the season, who can blame him.

Jerry Evans Jnr is not suited for a level of basketball where he is receiving remuneration, yes, even remuneration from the local hardware store.

Fearne is on his last year of contract, Cairns could do worse no doubt but this year has also shown how inept parts of his game plan is. At one stage the team was shooting 28% from 3pt.

For all this talk about how Nate loves Cairns, Nate loves Fearne and would do anything for him, that has amounted to zero. His 'weight loss' has also done nothing for his own game either, perhaps there was no weight loss?

The main achievement in Cairns this year was getting the NYE game back, congratulations on having something to do on NYE. You lost that game badly, there were empty seats in the house but you got it back, well done.

Blow up this team, Fearne or replacement can scout the QBL for equivalent imports to be funded by the local greengrocer, bottlo and caravan park. McCarron is the only one worth keeping, but for his sake I hope he leaves.

Topic #42643 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gotta feel bad for Cairns when even a LoveBroker can't send any positivity in their direction.

Reply #670449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nate wants out bad as does Gliddon who Gleeson is circling as a priority

Reply #670450 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gleeson would be circling Nate as well but doesn't have that kind of time to spare

Reply #670451 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

That's the most enjoyable read I've had all season LoveBroker, great stuff and 100% correct...is the local greengrocer doing well? I hope so for the sake of the team next season and the fans, so they can actually watch an import play like an import!

Reply #670467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are all the Kings fans?

Reply #670470 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns need a cleanout even if it means a spoon or two.
Get two stud imports rather than three did ones.

Reply #670476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much more interest in the fight than this game SAD

Reply #670478 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Lovebroker - my thoughts exactly, if we are relying on poor old Alex to get us across the line then we are in trouble.
It wasn't that long ago they were going to sack him for under performing??

Reply #670923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange how after years Loughton played well again. Was he in a contract year?

Reply #670943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh. If Scoochie had ended up being halfway decent and if Carrera and Nate had both stayed healthy we'd be top four. This whole season's been nuts and we need a cleanout but things will work themselves out.

Reply #670947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheap imports are always going to play cheaply.

Reply #670948 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Where are all the Kings fans?

The Kings play for most of the season has cleared them all out...

From the outside looking in, there looks to be a few issues that Cairns need to deal with... Nate on court has been dragging them down and limited their ability to move forward with a top shelf big guy... I think he's great and all the better if he's great for the community, but on court, they need at least one top shelf 5 man that can play consistent minutes... I think Egwu and Evans Jr have been reliable, but one of them needs to be a better 5-man for them to be able to compete...

I think they're one really good import guard away from being a consistent top 4 threat... They have a solid core and if they had say a Sosa or Trice this season that could consistently carry the team, then they would have been in a lot more games...

I think from the last couple of post-game interviews, Loughton has mentioned that this season is the first in a long time he hasn't been carrying niggles and actually has been feeling really good, which would have an impact on how well he plays... A few seasons of carrying injuries and more and more not enjoying playing has a mental effect on his play... It's not rocket science that he's feeling better physically and hence mentally and is now playing better...

Reply #670979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I the only one who thinks it's pretty poor of Fearne to not play Stevie Weigh in his last home game, especially when it was a dead rubber as far as finals is concerned?

Reply #671104 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's injured, which is a large part of the reason he's retiring in the first place.

Reply #671107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is true, but if it was bad enough to keep him off the court he would have been in civilian clothes. He suited up & warmed up, so for all intents & purposes, he was healthy.

Reply #671131 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^True that...

Reply #671138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Fearne antics. Time for a change Cairns.

Reply #671146 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

He suited up because it was his last home game.

He can barely run, has been told it could fracture at any time, and if it does he probably won't be able to run again.

So yeah.... antics....

Reply #671165 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Did I read something about Egwu naturalizing? I think he's a quality player as far as how well rounded his game is, but he's obviously not an impact player. Would be fine as your 3rd import assuming you've got 1 top tier and 1 mid tier talent above him, but Cairns most certainly did not have that, especially once Carrera was gone and replaced by a SEABL guy. Cairns have had a good deal of luck grabbing rookie PG imports but the law of averages finally kicked them in the pants this year with Scoochie....

As for the game, well, the Kings look pretty good right now. Keep the core of this team together and add an import 4/5 who does the dirty work inside and this is a top 4 team next season. I'd prefer to replace Gaze, but it feels like something has finally clicked, and he's contracted for next year anyway.

Reply #671168 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

So miracle recovery then podge given he's on the court tonight in perth.

So yeah....antics.

Reply #671823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne being Fearne.

Reply #671831 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754