Benno
Years ago

Essendon pushing for NBL team.

The Essendon football club has ramped up its push to secure a licence for a basketball team in the NBL.

And the Bombers want Australian great Andrew Bogut to be their franchise player.

Sportsday newsbreaker Mitch Cleary delivered the news on Wednesday.

He said Bogut, an Essendon supporter, was currently on the outer in the NBA and looked a viable option.

"He's the man they’ll target," he said.

“This story is red hot.”

https://www.3aw.com.au/essendon-pushing-for-nbl-team-linked-with-big-name-signing/

Topic #42756 | Report this topic

Fryz  
Years ago

Is this the first time in history a team has had a player lined up before a license?

Reply #673876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan. The AFL have brought out some shotty products lately.

Reply #673878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big fan of cross sport teams. Barcelona and Real Madrid two prominent examples on the world scale that not just make it work but thrive. The Nou Camp is a site to behold with its joint sports and rich history associated with the brand.

Reply #673880 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Interesting but even if they push hard and expedite the process, I reckon they won't make 18/19 season since venues need to be set-up in advance. 19/20 is more realistic, in the meantime Crivelli and JVG probably calling Bogut every chance they get.

Reply #673881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if they don't get Bogut? (Which I doubt)

Are they still interested in investing in a new NBL club?

Reply #673883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*vomit*

Reply #673885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't this the "supplements" club as well? Pass.

Reply #673886 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Steve2k, in the meantime, Bogut also gets older and potentially more brittle!

But it would be great for every club in the league. Drawcard player visiting their stadium twice a season plus more press for the NBL which can't hurt TV and sponsorship at all.

But a big budget team would be a threat to a number of teams keeping their best players.

Reply #673889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laughable that they think that they can come in ahead of the other clubs that have done all the hard yards already.
LK has so many ideas and changes them more than his undies. Flips and flops between so many ideas.

Reply #673893 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Disturbing if true.
Referring to how infrequently LK allegedly changes his undies, I mean.

Reply #673898 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"LK has so many ideas and changes them more than his undies. Flips and flops between so many ideas."

Or, like a rational person, he reassesses his ideas when new information is presented to him and adapts to the situation around him.

"Laughable that they think that they can come in ahead of the other clubs that have done all the hard yards already"

So because Tasmania has tried really really hard they should get a license ahead of a pre-existing and successful franchise from another code that already has the infrastructure necessary to run a successful team from the start?

"But a big budget team would be a threat to a number of teams keeping their best players."

Melbourne United, Perth Wildcats, Sydney Kings.

Reply #673903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Close but wrong AFL TEAM

Reply #673909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So tell us the correct one?

Reply #673912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd Melb team, afl teams, Tassie, China, Asia, the NBA failed experiment and more.
Hawks under the pump, Cairns selling player sponsorships, Brisbane a failure and 2 seasons on the bottom of the ladder. Clearly well managed. Said no one ever.

Reply #673917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth sells player sponsorships. Not sure what your point is.

Reply #673919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about a normal expansion team not pie in the sky Chinese and AFL teams.

Reply #673920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex-NBL cities would work it's just a matter of the right management being in place.

Reply #673921 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would provide a real injection to the league.

Reply #673922 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

it would be nice to supplement the 8 teams we currently have

Reply #673923 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Bogut also gets older and potentially more brittle!
Oh, snap! That's right! He'd be 36 in 19/20? ;p

As for the "other" AFL club, I believe it's Collingwood.

Reply #673924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it would be nice to supplement the 8 teams we currently have"

So simple, yet so good.

Reply #673929 | Report this post

He's the GOAT  
Years ago

If Essendon get a club then Victorian basketball can go and get fucked.

First United and now Essendon?

Ew and ewww.

Reply #673933 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Would they be affiliated in colours/name etc or only through admin and staff?

Reply #673934 | Report this post

plasma  
Years ago

As a lifelong Essendon member and ex-Giants/Magic/Dragons supporter I would be thrilled with this. I could see the scenario where my friend who has little to no interest in bball (but follows soccer as well - Melb Victory) would develop an interest because a) I would drag him to games & b) he is a sports follower and would naturally be interested in anything Essendon related. Big potential.

Reply #673938 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

It won;t matter how old Bogut is if the Bombers signed him...they'd have him on all the best supplements and he'd be like Bogut at the Bucks again!

Reply #673943 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

3 teams in a 9 team comp wearing black and red...perfect

Reply #673944 | Report this post

Essendon aint the only one

Reply #673947 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

The AFL team is Geelong

Reply #673948 | Report this post

well then there is another one to these two

Reply #673950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're a happy team!

Reply #673952 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Essendon? Seriously?

The only Victorian AFL team i'd want to see in the NBL is the Geelong Cats. And that's coming from a Richmond supporter.

Anyone know if Geelong have a decent arena to play bball? I doubt the NBL would accept anything less that 4000 capacity.

Reply #673954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, it's a happy team that win lots of premiereships

Reply #673957 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe AFL backed NBL team or two or three coming through is a brilliant idea.

Reply #673961 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

As an Essendon member myself, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, I feel that a team having the backing of an AFL club (Be it Essendon, Collingwood or whoever) would make it a more stable than some millionaire that could get bored in a couple of years with it.

However, at best you are surely only going to be able to target 15% of the Melbourne population? I can't see someone that follows another Melbourne AFL team choosing to follow Essendon in the NBL.

Reply #673970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how this is a concern- Essendon is looking to have a membership base of 70 000 this season. They won't need to "target" anyone, they already have a target market who they know support the brand.

Reply #673972 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That was my main concern as well.

Mind you, taking the glass half full approach, it would only take a fraction of the people who attend Essendon AFL games to fill an NBL stadium, so if they can sell it as a way to support the club through all 12 months of the year then it's got potential.
Traditionally it wasn't always easy to sell basketball to footy people, but I think the American stigma is less of a thing these days.

Reply #673973 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - Just because you have 70,000 football members, doesn't mean that they are going to be interested in attending basketball as well.

Adelaide has 1.2 million people. Only 0.5% of those people attend a game.

Based on AFL membership numbers for Melbourne clubs, 13% of Melbourne (or just over 500,000 people) go for the Bombers (obviously not an exact science). So they are working with less that half the audience of Adelaide.

Reply #673974 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Not all of those 70,000 members live in Melbourne either, let alone support basketball.

Reply #673978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whoever does this will become Australia's first sports superclub

Reply #673980 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I imagine the Netball Super League could provide a reasonable case study into understanding the benefits/conflicts of an AFL team being involved in another national sporting competition.

Unfortunately it would be a pretty small sample at this point in time.

Reply #673982 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think Skip makes a good point about non-Essendon fans being put off an affiliated NBL team. I also wonder what happens when the NBL club is losing money year after year and Essendon pulls the pin to protect its footy operations? Do we have yet another defunct NBL team?

Reply #673986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money Makin Mitch Cleary

Reply #673989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know exactly what happens when things don't go right for an AFL club with a team in another league.

Have a look at the old NSL - both Collingwood and Carlton setup sides in it. They thought the same thing - if only we get a % of our supporters it will be enough. Well the true % of their base that were interested was pitiful.

Bad idea but LK is a businessman trying every angle to make his investment work. So I give him credit for that but in the long run this won't work. Multi-sport clubs in other countries were grown organically with no one sport being dominant and having too much priority over another.

In this scenario if money dries up NBL will be scrapped to help the AFL side in every possible way. Dangerous.

Reply #674002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason Richmond isn't leading the discussion is because they can't use the Tigers name. They'd get solid crowds.

Reply #674008 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , I seem to recall Richmond pretty keen .. got knocked back by nbl...

Reply #674011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not? Call them the Melbourne Richmonds.

Reply #674020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Collingwood. Hawthorn and Essendon are chasing for an NBL licence. Hawks may be gone. 2 more Melb teams a possibilty.

Reply #674026 | Report this post

Eah  
Years ago

Collingwood - Powerful, although they already have the netball team which they pump money into.

Richmond - Equally powerful, There is no team called the 'tigers', but United hold the naming rights which is an issue.

Hawthorn - successful club but Wollongong already named 'Hawks'

Essendon - probably not due to drug stigma (which is unfair)

Geelong - would be perfect, but the city doesn't have a bball stadium over 3000 capacity

St Kilda - small fan base
Footscray - small fan base
Carlton - good fan base but won't happen
Melbourne - lol
North Melbourne - irrelevant

If the NBL want crowds it should be between Richmond and Collingwood.

Reply #674030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dockers

Reply #674034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Richmond a great fit. They are swimming in money and have a huge fan base.

Essendon, can't see that happening.

Reply #674035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could hawthorn split games between Wollongong and Melbourne like they do with tasie. Illawarra crowds not that flash and no money.

Reply #674036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't agree that because these teams have a large supporter base that they will automatically have success. AFLX hosted near empty stadiums and AFLW attendance dropped in half- that was with free tickets and a die hard football supporter base.

Reply #674058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFLX is shit

Reply #674059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL clubs in the NBL would also be shit.

Reply #674076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah dont tell any world class soccer clubs not to do that eh

Reply #674092 | Report this post

Years ago

just think about what is going on here and why.

Reply #674102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would there be many Melbourne Tigers fans who don't support United but wouldn't mind supporting Essendon and don't have a current AFL team? Or does everyone in Melbourne have an AFL team?

Reply #674106 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do United own the named "Tigers", or "Melbourne Tigers"?

Reply #674111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good loophole koberulz, I wonder if Richmond could use it?

Reply #674116 | Report this post

The same people that owned the Melbourne Tigers franchise still own the Melbourne United franchise. LK doesn't own United individually

Reply #674117 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yes- LK & Slepoy- or whoever owns United, exactly- own the Tigers license which includes the ability or rights to use the Tigers name.

Reply #674119 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sigh, there is no such thing as "the right to use a name"
There are however various trademarks registered, and anything involving "tigers" and a basketball would likely infringe those owned by the Melbourne Tigers.

But anyway, the so-called "Richmond Bid" was only a smokescreen for Cowan trying to backdoor his way back into the NBL.

As for Essendon, well yeah, say no to drugs.

Reply #674273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting I heard yesterday that Bogut has a passion for Essendon and is keen t see them in the NBL for some reason.

Reply #674275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cowan trying to get a team again in the NBL?

Reply #674331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which stadium would the proposed Essendon team play out of? Rod Laver Arena?

Reply #674341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754