Luuuc
Years ago

NBL 2018 Awards Night

Starts in about 15 minutes

"Fans can watch from 7:30pm live on NBL TV as well as the NBL's Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages."

Topic #42790 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries wins ROTY

Reply #674679 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Humphries wins ROTY"

The entire Sydney Kings table can go home now.

Reply #674682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #674683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6th man: Moore
DPOY: Martin

Reply #674685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referee of the year: Aylen

Reply #674686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most Improved - Ili

Reply #674687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin was getting blown by for half the season and still DPOY?

Reply #674691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #674693 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, when he retires they really should just name it the "Damian Martin Medal"

Reply #674694 | Report this post

hoops4llday  
Years ago

Is LK taking the piss with letting his son promote this first ever crap?

Reply #674695 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That First Ever speech, his son, wow...wow...wow...really?!

Reply #674697 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

those prices, wow...wow...wow...really?!

Reply #674698 | Report this post

hoops4llday  
Years ago

Wtf is next? An LK sponsored George Foreman grill ad?

Reply #674699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was it? I missed it?

Reply #674700 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #674701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/rich-lister-larry-kestelman-and-son-justin-launch-online-sports-apparel-firm-20180209-h0vudc

this?

Reply #674702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries couldn't defend a bar stool, at least they got best 6 man right, marto is an elite defender but it's been his worst season. Wesley should have won most improved.

Reply #674703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Larry Kestelman wants to stop parents and amateur sports participants getting ripped off by the "leeches" that sell uniforms and apparel to thousands of teams and clubs across the country without putting any money back into the sport.

The Financial Review Rich List member, property developer and National Basketball League owner this week will launch his own online sports uniforms and apparel brand, First Ever, with son Justin."

Don't they want to merely replace the leeches with themselves?

Reply #674704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

piggy wins ref of the year

Reply #674705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oink oink

Reply #674706 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No one going to give props to the NBL for getting the Top 10 man with the fine rhymes?

Reply #674707 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Definite thumbs up for those top 10s

Reply #674708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goatmentator Is alive!!

Reply #674710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ in top NBL starting five, not good enough for Australia though.

Reply #674711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travis trice got robbed

Reply #674712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Trice should have gotten 2nd team over randle, trice was one of the most consistent players all season.

Reply #674713 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Funny how when I rhymes my posts a couple months back everyone wanted me to zip it. This guy comes in and he's god

Reply #674714 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Trice went missing for decent periods throughout the season. His springboard was the clutch 4th term at home against Cairns.

Prior to that his minutes and Lemanis' faith in him to run the offence were declining

Reply #674715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That dude is an nba rhyming legend, don't compare yourself to the goatmentator manu, your rhymes are trash

Reply #674716 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Do you remember my rhymes?

Reply #674717 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"DJ in top NBL starting five, not good enough for Australia though"

LOL.Beat me to it

Reply #674718 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Also, people claiming everything is a comparison is a perfect example of the straw man argument. Either ignorance or bigotry

Reply #674719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we don't. Which proves the point

Reply #674720 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Proves mine about your bigotry

Reply #674721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

COTY is Vickerman

Reply #674723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does the nbl persist with people commentating and hosting who have no idea about basketball. The guy presenting it just said about mitch creek in his 10th season and 8th with adelaide. Would he mind telling everyone who the other team he played for was. Anybody can do basic research and see he is a one club player.

Reply #674725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Vickerman is the right choice.

Reply #674726 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Woohoo! 10:1 for that

Reply #674728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So cotton who only scores shooting at just above 40% and does nothing else wins mvp yawn

Reply #674729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton the deserving winner. Suck it Manu.

Reply #674730 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

To be honest I didn't think Cotton had an MVP-worthy season

Reply #674731 | Report this post

hoops4llday  
Years ago

"Ladies and Gentleman please all stand for the guy thats not physically here "

Reply #674732 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #674733 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think most people would agree that those voting view value a lot differently to the fans here. Cotton shouldn't have been MVP.

But you, anon... you're just like Lovebroker but stupider and more incessant

Reply #674734 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Cotton!!! 2 wildcats in the top 5. If you don't think he is deserving... blame your own coaches and captains. They voted for him.

Reply #674735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron finished seventh yet Cairns didn't nominate him for Most Improved....

Reply #674736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet anons rhymes are still better then yours manu.

Reply #674738 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

So Creek was the real MVP Manu? As the fans always get it right

Reply #674739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think most people would agree that those voting view value a lot differently to the fans here. Cotton shouldn't have been MVP."

That's just nonsense.

Reply #674740 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah halfway through a thought then sidetracked.

Most people would agree that the NBL MVP voters are off the mark with what they deem valuable. We've seen the wrong MVP time after time, and I'm only talking about the recent past. But of course, it's all subjective

Reply #674742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton wasn't even the best player on his team this season. Tokoto was a much better all round player. I thought coaches were looking for guys who influence games with defense and hustle and didn't just give votes to the top scorer. Obviously not it seems nbl coaches are pretty dumb

Reply #674744 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

With regard to MVP voting, scoring counts for too much in a league where points are shared so evenly across a team's roster

Reply #674745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did cotton increase his lead over cotton in the last block of games when they played one less than illawarra and that was when perth lost 4 out of their last 6 games too. As well as conger overtaking cotton in the scoring title races I just don't get it

Reply #674746 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Cotton average votes per game: 4.18

Randle average votes per game: 4.16

Reply #674748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least NBL starting to become and look like a professional organisation, most of the awards are debatable and other than coach and best sixth man I don't agree with any but no voting system is foolproof though they should try and improve it.

Reply #674749 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Whats not to get? The votes are awarded to the best players on each team every game. Its irrelevant who wins or loses, or who scored the most baskets for the season.

Cotton, while deserving, was a benefactor of the current voting system as there wasn't no one outside of Tokoto regularly taking the 3 votes away from him each game.

Reply #674750 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Cotton won. Wow. Didn't see that coming. Well done to him though.

Reply #674751 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Red Army can count themselves lucky the membership packets for 2018/19 season have already been released.

Membership costs might have been a whole lot more expensive had they come out at the end of this week.

The price of Cotton just went up.

Reply #674754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton WTF. No. 'Cats have been pathetic... oh that explains it, no one else taking votes from him apart from Tokoto. Speaking of which both were in the top 5? Really? They have both failed to lead the team since Knight retired.

Reply #674756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't get how some people are so surprised or think he's undeserving. He was a fairly hot favourite with all the bookies.

Personally thought Conger would win (with Cotton a close 2nd) just because he was more consistent, but you can easily understand how Bryce won. He had a number of games where be carried the Cats and would have scored max votes, and a fair few where he still would have gotten some votes. While he was inconsistent, he still had a great year and was huge for the Cats. Seeing the actual breakdown of votes would be interesting.

Reply #674761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not carried them for a while. Too inconsistent and frustrating.

What was the peak no. of viewers of the stream?

Reply #674762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GOATmentator Beau Estes?

Reply #674764 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Tsm unlucky not to get mvp. He just edged Chris buckets patton

Reply #674769 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I think mvp should be from a team in the playoffs. I really felt like there was no clear mvp this season. It could have gone to a handful, out of the 4 playoff teams cotton was probably the most consistent in a team with less players taking votes from him consistently, even in his down games, he was probably one of perths best.

Reply #674770 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Goatmentator is pretty tacky. You'd think people would pay homage to such a creative dude in a more creative way. Slap goat on a word and it's a thing. It's pretty lazy

Reply #674771 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Price of cotton just went up?

Cotton has been overpriced most of the season.

Reply #674773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm only hear to see Manu melt...well done Bryce !

Reply #674774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain homicide will be happy either. It just proves the coaches shouldn't vote, why vote for a player that could hurt your own player.

Reply #674777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL social media is too cringe

Reply #674779 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I think most people would agree that those voting view value a lot differently to the fans here. Cotton shouldn't have been MVP."

So those qualified to vote don't know about player values, but you do and yours is the only correct interpretation?

Shouldn't you be watching Netflix? Thats your go to hiding spot when NBL isn't going your way right?

Feel free to come back once you've understood what Bigotry means as well.

Reply #674780 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

TBH Cotton surprises me also, but congrats to him.

Reply #674782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you hate on everything manu? Goatmentator is legit

Reply #674788 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The year Conklin won over Daniel Johnson was a farce. At least Cotton is part of the leading pack even if people weren't expecting it.

Reply #674791 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I am happy for Cotton but those votes really obstruct history and how we will remember it as I thought it was an really open race and for much of the season I thought Conger and Buford would tie.

Glad to see a Wildcat win but I hope we don't win the award next year, I'd love to think that Brandt, Steindl and others will step up and we become a more evenly spread team.

Well done to all that won awards especially Damo on winning his last DPOY award as that will be going to McCarron next year.

I thought the awards night was pretty good and I enjoyed it but can't help but think that the Kestleman sporting apparel will be worn by teams next season... I hope they are fantastic.

As for Goatmentator, I thought he had some awesome rhymes but his voice grinded on me and he just felt like he was trying too hard but glad to see NBL trying things

Reply #674795 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Well done Bryce, although surprising i don't think there was a real stand out this season, as there has been in past seasons. His season statistically as a whole wasn't a whole different to any of the others in the running.

Of all the voting systems, having the coaches deciding it is a close as you could get to being fair IMO. The good thing with coaches voting in this system they vote for the other team, so no bias can be shown towards their own team.

Reply #674798 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The only way they could get away from the deficiencies of this voting system is to just vote at the end of the season instead of each round. The round for round count during the dinner couldn't take place though which isn't as good for marketing.

Reply #674799 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

'Goatmentator' is a tacky moniker.

One of the great challenges in life is to tolerate people who aren't sharp of mind. I'm pretty sure that's why you remain anonymous, bud

Reply #674800 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The good thing with coaches voting in this system they vote for the other team, so no bias can be shown towards their own team.
They vote for both teams.

Reply #674803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that Boone wasn't in the top 7 proves the system is broken.
Anyone know where he actually finished?

Reply #674804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, Manu thinks he's smart....how cute.

Reply #674805 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Without going back and looking at boxes, it really felt to me like Cotton had a lot of subpar games this season. Shocked he won as clearly as he did, but thinking back, even when Cotton struggled, who else on that team was stealing votes from him? Tokoto came out of the gates strong but didn't really maintain that consistently. Otherwise, guys like Wagstaff/Brandt/Walker had the odd big night here and there, but that's it really. So I guess it shouldn't be as big a shock as first thought.

Reply #674810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't have a lot of subpar games, it's just then whenever he didn't dominate a game like he did in the GF, Homicide went on a rant about how he was a one trick pony and is overrated etc.

Reply #674817 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Did Cotton really have a sub par season? It did seem like he struggled at times this season, but looking at the numbers;

He led the league in total points and came 3rd in points per game (19.4ppg). Randle and Conger were 19.7ppg. This also includes the NBL season high of 36 points in a single game.

He made the most 3 pointers and shot it at a league leading 45% (for players shooting more than one 3 per game).

3.3 reb, 3 assists, 1.2 steals per game.

He led his team to 3rd on the ladder and into the finals.

Bryce Cotton did all this....while appearing to have a sub par season.

Reply #674818 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That's just based on my recollection of the season. I know he had a lot of games where he didn't do much until late, so that probably colours my memory of him this year.

Reply #674819 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Cotton this season 19/3/3 on a team that won 16 games

Randle last season 21/5/3 on a team that won 17 games

Really much of a difference?

Why is it such a surprise?

I personally thought Cotton was the obvious choice and had predicted him as MVP

Reply #674822 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Boone finished 9th

Reply #674824 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With how the voting system works, I thought Conger was a lock to be honest.

Reply #674826 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

With how the voting system works, I thought Conger was a lock to be honest.

Funny that was why I predicted in that MVP thread that Cotton would win it because even though Conger deserved to win Clarke would probably take too many votes off of him.

Reply #674834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI

MVP Voting is done by coaches after each game. They can award 5, 4, 3, 2 and/or 1 point to any players from their team as well as the opposition.

What I don't see discussed is that coaches don't have to use up/allocate all 10 points for either team.

They may only decide to give away 3 points or 1 point in total MVP voting points.

Reply #674845 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I was under the belief that the coaches could only allocate points to the opposing team, not their own. Anyone know if this is correct?

Reply #674850 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I feel bad for Perrin Buford...Although let out of his contract he definitely was one of the best imports, should of won Defensive Player of Year and probably should of been on the All NBL 2nd team...

Reply #674851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train, its both.

Reply #674852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is another season which when you look back on the list of NBL MVPs and see Cotton for 2017-18 you will be thinking "oh?"... unless something magical happens in the playoffs, even though it's a regular season award.

Reply #674854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train - coaches vote for both.

But it's up to them how many points they allocate.

E.G Cotton may play the best in a game but the opposing coach may only give him 1 point. and no points to anyone else.

Reply #674855 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Thanks for clarifying that :)

Reply #674856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton was literally the favourite going in despite a fair few tipping Conger. Off the top of my head most betting agencies had him around $2, Conger $4 and then everyone else $10+.

I don't think you can really argue with Cotton winning, he's still a reasonable winner. Its easy to say Conger may have had the better and more consistent year, but that's not how the award works. Has anyone actually done their own game by game votes for every game of the season? If you have then I think you'd find Cotton winning or not far behind. While incosistent he obviously played well enough in enough games to score the most votes.

The NBL showing game by game votes would probably help clear things up and give some people a better understanding of when/how he got his votes.

Reply #674859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they need to take out the ambiguity of the votes given by coaches. Just make it 5-4-3-2-1, and they must allocate all votes.

Reply #674861 | Report this post

Red 38  
Years ago

ok, aside from the obvious debate and conjecture in regards to award winners, does anyone else feel like the NBL may have got the timing of this awards night all wrong?

Was able to watch some of the stream and from what I viewed;

Moore not present
Martin not present
Illi not present
Cotton not present

Maybe hold the event straight after GF series concludes to ensure all winner are able to be present?

Just seemed to take a lot of the intended "prestige" away from the evening.

Thoughts?

Reply #674863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The awards should be held the Tuesday straight after the regular season with finals starting the following weekend, no excuses for awards winners not to show. As previously said 5,4,3,2,1 should be allocated after each game by the coaches or 3,2,1 by coaches but not allowed to vote for own team. Rookie of year is not a major prize but would be nice to see a better system as well, With this year only 3 nominations and one player hardly got on the court and the winner being not that good.

Reply #674872 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Do all award winners need to show in AFL? Why don't you hold it in Perth and tell all the Eastern states teams they "need" to attend. I am sure they will love the extra flights and interrupted preparation. It is an awards night, it means nothing.

Reply #674881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An example is the Brownlow, if an interstate team is involved they don't attend and have their own function that they cross to during the coverage.

Reply #674884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only if they are playing in the grand final.

Reply #674885 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Interstate teams do go to the Brownlow medal in thevafl unless they are in the gf.

Reply #674886 | Report this post

Red 38  
Years ago

all solid points of view.

What I should have added was, given the NBL is trying to gain some additional traction in terms of building the brand, do they need to rethink the timing process to maximise interest and support?

Fair call with the AFL, however given their establish and strong foothold in the Australian sporting landscape, they are not playing continual catchup and probably get a few "free kicks" (pardon the pun) when they don't quite get things right. Its also a long held "tradition" to hold the Brownlow count the week before GF, and likely would be some push back if they looked to change the timing

The NBL has the ability to review and re-think the timing without causing too much grief amongst stake holders and fans.

Reply #674900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well when the Brownlow is held the Monday night before the grand final that is kind of obvious.

Reply #674902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's not held straight after regular season end, most imports would be gone and couldn't except an award. Afl don't have this problem.

Reply #674903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This year it would only have affected Conger, but he was still here.

Reply #674906 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's still here now, I doubt he'll still be here in a month (which is when people are suggesting it should take place).

McCarron and Humphries would be absent then too, would they not?

Reply #674911 | Report this post

hopscotch 35  
Years ago

AFL teams get 2 tables - one for Pres, CEO, Coach etc, and one for players. Only select players are invited eg top 5 brownlow votes for that team, goal/mark of the year, so that if you're going to win, or in the running, you get a gig (and pretty sure it's almost mandatory for invitees to attend). Then players can decide whether to bring their partner, or often bring another player as a plus one.

Reply #674919 | Report this post

Bob Sels  
Years ago

NBL copying the crappy AFL formula irks me. Come up with something better for an MVP system.

Reply #674926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't copy the AFL system though. They made an even worse version.

Reply #674927 | Report this post

Bob Sels  
Years ago

Well that's even worse then. I didn't watch it thankfully.

Reply #674929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they should do a sort of NBA style kind of vote.

End of the season get 5 groups:
-Players
-Coaching staff (Head coach and assistants)
-Fans
-Media (commentators, journal's, sports anchors, etc)
-League staff (owner, CEO, refs, officials, etc)

Everyone votes in each group. Each group gets an equal 20% weighting towards the overall winner.

League can still do their Brownlow style awards night and reveal the votes for each of the 5 groups through the night. Gets based on a players whole season so it rewards consistency. Votes coming from a wide range of people. Fans have a small say in it hopefully limits complaints.

Reply #674935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No to fans voting.

Reply #674938 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think having game-by-game voting is a positive for our system compared to the NBA, as it removes recency bias.
And a definite no to fans being involved! Not too keen on media either.

Reply #674939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So under this proposal, at least 20% of the votes go straight to United players.

Reply #674941 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Cotton

Damo

yeh yeh yeh yeh yeh YEH

We number 1 baby and it feels so good

Reply #675056 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"-Fans "

Fans?

Which fans?

Cairns fans are liable to still vote Scottie Wilbekin.

Reply #675057 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Christ. Just as I thought I was making progress, LoveBroker. There goes my '1 week' pin. In the trash

Reply #675070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754