Curtley
Years ago

Andrew Demetriou joins NBL Advisory Board

"The former Chief Executive of the Australian Football League Andrew Demetriou has been appointed Co-Chair of the National Basketball League's Advisory Board".

That's pretty big news on the back of the USA game. LK is getting sh*t done.

I'm guessing Demetriou is not necessary a basketball fan but will definitely assist with:

- Getting corporate sponsorship,
- Getting government money,
- A bigger broadcast deal,
- League expansion.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/41010-andrew-demetriou-to-co-chair-nbl-advisory-board

Topic #42933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the Fox Sports deal had one season to go?

I know a lot of people don't like Foxtel but I love watching every game live (NBL.tv doesn't interest me)

I hope if there is a new deal, we can still watch every game live. If it's a FTA deal, I highly doubt this will happen

Reply #679113 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He was a spaz with the AFL

Reply #679129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He made some dumb decisions towards the end but he took the league from strength to strength.

Reply #679134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a bad appointment. and could it hurt to actually smile, Andrew? So gruff.

Reply #679136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did a very good job in the afl, faded a bit towards the end re all the drug cover ups but this should be a positive.

Reply #679148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL was on the up no matter who was leading it.

Reply #679165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still got to get the foundations right, good appointment

Reply #679185 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good optics without actually doing anything. The perfect Kestleman appointment.

Reply #679210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicely summarised, Cram.

Reply #679220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is about 2 dozen people on the Board. Meh to the appointment.

Reply #679237 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

And even closer links to the AFL ...

Reply #679253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well once Essendon gets in in another season we know it to be true.

Reply #679254 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The NBL was basically dead before LK stepped in - it would have become a three team league of Perth Melbourne and NZ.

I'd say the optics look good and a whole lot has been done - and the former CEO of the AFL probably has a few little things he can do that can help the NBL

Reply #679269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another appointment to someone who has ZERO passion for basketball and limited knowledge of the game and would not truly know the basketball language to sell the sport!!

There are an enormous amount of former NBL players, both Australian and Americans that could have been added to the advisory board, who not only understand basketball but also has successful businesses and could be a real asset to the sports.

LK only see them as a marketing tool, using their high profile to help generate interest.

Classic example is.. Andrew Gaze golf bumps comments when talking about Boomers vs Team USA game.

The lack of former players not involved with the basketball at a high level is a major reason why their has been a disconnection with the grassroots and as a result, you don't see past generations continue to follow basketball like in other sports such as AFL, NRL etc..

Basketball in Australia is surviving off LK generosity at the moment with BA, NBL and clubs allowing him to take the lead role, control all aspect he wants without any thought of a Plan B for when he decide to step away from the sport.

Reply #679299 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well that,s not quite right. Last season I saw him scoring a VJBL junior game that his daughter was playing in for Melbourne Tigers under 16s.

So to say he knows nothing is not quite right.

Reply #679301 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another appointment to someone who has ZERO passion for basketball and limited knowledge of the game and would not truly know the basketball language to sell the sport!!

There are an enormous amount of former NBL players, both Australian and Americans that could have been added to the advisory board, who not only understand basketball but also has successful businesses and could be a real asset to the sports.
This is really shortsighted. The NBL doesn't need more basketball brains at the top, it needs people to get them the deals other sports are getting with media (game coverage and general media coverage).

Reply #679303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which no one is any close to getting done.

Reply #679387 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

He was a bully in the AFL. Certainly didn't miss an opportunity to troll the Crows and totally focussed on Victoria.

Don't give him the power to do more than advise!!!

Reply #679394 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

How much influence will he have in an advisory role where there are what 20 other members on the board?

Could be a whole lot of nothing out of it.

But if it is an actual role that will help bring in a new broadcast deal, I'd be very intetested to see how he goes. In a league with a lot less money to throw around, and is barely in the public conscience, the challenges of winning the media and sponsors over would be greater than doing that for the AFL.

Reply #679461 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754