Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats sign Rhys Vague

"The Perth Wildcats have signed West Australian young gun Rhys Vague to its playing roster for the next two years."

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36800-rhys-vague-earns-full-roster-position

He's currently playing in the SEABL for Dandenong, scoring 33 points in his debut last weekend.

I did not see this elevation coming. A long-time DP elevated to full-time, this hasn't been done by the Wildcats since Greg Hire.

Topic #43148 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who's he replacing Hire or Walker?

Reply #684911 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Huge signing

Reply #684912 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hope he replaces Hire.

Reply #684913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Bragg wanted Vague money but they wouldn't go that low so he’s going to leave.

Reply #684914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very rare for the cats to elevate DPs. Hire was elevated in 2011, earning the spot over the likes of Ben Purser, Tom Jervis and Everard Bartlett.

Reply #684915 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Vague will dunk on a few fools next season for sure. He has worked REAL HARD and has an excellent team spirit so I'm happy for him.

Reply #684925 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Wow, I've always thought this guy was a bit of a gumby, with no real idea what position to play.

I do not feel good for the Wildcats next season.

Reply #684948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge news from the Cats. Well done to all on such a tough signing. Must have been some real competition for his signature

Reply #684949 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Does seem a strange signing so early in free agency as he'd been a DP with them for the last 4 years.

Reply #684950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You shouldn't even be allowed to be a DP for more than 2 years. If you dont make it in that time sorry you have failed somebody elese gets a go.

Reply #684953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Splinky have you actually seen Vague play? I'm not talking about as a Wildcat. I’m talking at SBL level. He’s very very good. He’s needed some work, but he’s already a better player than Hire ever was. He will surprise you next season.

Reply #684954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ there is a major difference between SBL and the current level NBL. Hire had 31/22/7 on the weekend...

He averages like 2/2 in the NBL. Not a knock on Vague but apples and oranges mate.

Reply #684959 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Actually Vague is playing SEABL this season, and apparently doing well.

But yes, still a bit a of a weird signing.
Timing wise, I guess its just a slow news week for the Cats.

I wouldn't rag on Vague, compared to others. For whatever reason he didn't go to College so is still relatively young.

And yes, I hope he's replacing Walker or preferably Hire. Hire has been good as a role player off the bench, but has gone backwards in recent years. Tough call, but I'm really hoping there will be a BIG signing at some point before next season.

Reply #684967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire played against a SBL with no big man at all. He should have had 50/30 but he's crap.Vague is twice the player he is and probably would have had 50

Reply #684972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excited to see him grow into a big time PF with range. Has the talent

Reply #684973 | Report this post

Deimos33  
Years ago

Let's hope Walker stays as well

Reply #685021 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Would giving Tevin Jackson (currently playing SEABL for Albury-Wodonga Bandits) be worth a look for the Wildcats? He is also from Perth after all if I'm correct?

Reply #685180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754