Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Next Stars Program (the 4th 'import')

So a couple of months ago we heard about this program where the NBL will pay 8 would be college kids $100k to play and develop on the NBL.

Any idea how this is going? Seems to have been a bit forgotten about when people are predicting lineups for next season. I know the season is still ages away, but for all involved you'd think it'd be useful to sort out there placements as soon as possible before teams get too established in free agency.

What now if the Wildcats get stuck with some PG with Martin/Norton already? What if Brisbane get stuck with a big man with there number of bigs? etc etc.

I'm not expecting these kids to play huge minutes but you'd think they'd want to get some sort of playing time to help develop.

Also what happens if some of these guys are actually young studs and could play some quality minutes? Brisbane could be handed someone who would be a decent back up big, but they've already signed Hodgson/Vukona and could have signed just 1 and used that $$ for another position.

Topic #43181 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if they've gone quiet on it because there are other things to discuss, or because they've realised it's premature. Makes more sense in an expansion year or instead of the third import. Or as a free hit for struggling teams.

Reply #685694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to Facebook and look up "Basketball on the Internet".

It's Boti's sight and from what I can tell what he has said, it's not going ahead now

Reply #685702 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The day after they announced it the NBA announced they were going to look at measures to cater towards younger players including academies and such, which pretty much killed the idea. Thankfully.

Reply #685709 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The idea is NOT dead. In fact Jeremy Loeliger was heading to the US just a few weeks ago to look at potential recruits.

Reply #685719 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If it takes off, they should run it like a draft. Have a spread out pool of different positions.

First pick goes to Melbourne United.
Second pick goes to 8th place.
Third pick goes to 7th place.

These players could be tradable for other 4th imports if two teams can find a better fit.

Yes I was being facetious with the United first pick.

Reply #685725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scottie Pippen Jnr

Reply #685730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard the NBLPA won't allow this to happen.

Reply #686232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754