Anonymous
Years ago

Daniel Kickert signs with Sydney Kings

I think Kick's is a great player but I thought the Kings needed a better rebounder.

Thoughts?

Topic #43212 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good. Apart from Bogut Kings making the same old mistakes. #JvG

Reply #686390 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Remember the last 1/4 of last season (when Lisch came back) the kings were one of the form teams.
Kickert will provide a good target when Bogut gets double teamed.

Reply #686391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If their other bigs are staid, defensive types, I think it could work. The arms race is amazing though.

Reply #686396 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Sauce?

Funny how a few months ago Lemanis proclaimed he was going to improve with his existing squad, rather than rebuild...

Reply #686397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut
Kickert
Newley
Lisch
Randle

That's a very solid starting 5 that'll have the Sydney Kings in most games. Execution down the stretch will be key as is the case for most games and teams

Reply #686398 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Talk about buying a Championship....they'd have to at least be around the $2M mark for 6 players.

And they are still talking about bringing in imports.

Reply #686399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All on Gaze now. Can he bring all this talent together? Is he a genuine coach? These are the key questions IMO as to whether this team succeeds or goes down in a screaming heap.

Reply #686400 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

No secrets they are always after a stretch 4 paired with a hefty 5 for their fascination with 4-out ball. With Perry Ellis looking unlikely, Kickert is somewhat a like-for-like replacement.

If he does sign, I think the David Wear rumour is unlikely. They'll probably go for a Jameel type off the bench.

Reply #686405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sauce?

Tomatoe

Source?

Dan Boyce

Reply #686407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is Kickert massages his field goal percentage unlike any other player. Red flag.

Reply #686411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Kisch and Newley like playing 5 on 2 trans D.

Reply #686414 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

"The thing is Kickert massages his field goal percentage unlike any other player. Red flag."

So you'd like him to take more bad shots? Makes sense

Reply #686418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All on Gaze now. Can he bring all this talent together? Is he a genuine coach?"
No he can't.

Reply #686420 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well cat's outta the bag totally, Kicks is confirmed.

Reply #686421 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So you'd like him to take more bad shots? Makes sense

No the guy always puts himself above the team by being very conservative about when he does and doesn't shoot. He cares more about his shooting percentages than his team and is a very poor rebounder.

Reply #686423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a huge fan of Kickert, especially if Bogut misses time. Agree with the FG% thing too, saw him throw his share of hospital passes as the shot clock winds down this past season because he doesn't want to kill his own FG%.

I think a cheap import 4/5 man who can rebound and block shots off the bench like what the Hawks have been bringing in lately makes sense and would help cover for Kickert's weaknesses.

Reply #686424 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

There are 3 statements in the above sentence and only one of them is correct. He is a poor rebounder

Have you considered that by shooting at a high % it helps the team? I have always been under the illusion that missing a shot is detrimental to the success of a group. He never has and never will be a high volume shooter.

Reply #686426 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Have you considered that by shooting at a high % it helps the team?

Maybe you should ask the wooden spooner Bullets that question given they had no inclination in re-signing him.

Reply #686430 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Ok, I'll send them an email now.

Reply #686431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would have thought that in a pretty stacked team someone who is picky with their shots but can knock them down would be a good thing, compared to a volume shooter

Reply #686434 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The problem remains that the American owners are pouring in millions, but persisting with Gaze.
That is the definition of clueless.

It's like they've hired Dodgy Joe (/Jeff) to build then a mansion down under, and he's shown them some grand design, and keeps asking for more money, but nobody has thought to physically check on progress. And they haven't figured out that the "Prime Harbourside Land" is actually under 6ft of water.

When Gaze was announced, several punters questioned the appointment of somebody who had shown no aptitude for coaching. Despite the massively stacked team, the warning signs were there early when it became apparent that Gaze has no ability to think on the fly, and is apparently unable to galvanize his team when things go pear-shaped.
Two years later, all that speculation has become established fact.

I'm still gobsmacked that Bogut didn't do his homework better.

I don't believe even this lineup can win under Gaze. Only way they do is if they continue to stack the team via imports, to the point where they can completely dominate every game. Waiting for them to sign Cotton and Felix.

Reply #686438 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

There's a difference between chucking up rubbish more often than not and not wanting to take a shot that if you are as good a shooter as your % suggests, you have a higher chance of making than most others on your team...

If he's as good a shooter as his % says he is, NOT taking those shots when he's the best chance of making it is NOT good for the team... Jacking stuff up early when it's poor selection and/or contested is very different (and probably more crap).

I don't personally like this signing, I think he's missing a lot of attributes that is needed with this team, not least amongst them a likeable personality... Hopefully with his mate Bogues, it could be different, but I wouldn't want the Kings just going for the "best talent" available without taking other things into consideration... Wouldn't be the first time, and look how that has turned out in the past...

Maybe it's a bit of insurance if Bogues DOES miss some time? They could get a more Jervis/Hodgson/Pledger type back up 5 and if Bogues misses time or is limited in his minutes, they don't lack as much when he's not on the court?

Money aside (as it doesn't seem like it's bothering the Kings much atm):

Randle* / ???
Lisch / Wilson
Newls / Blanchfield
Kickert / Import*|Jois / Pineau
Bogues / Jervis?

Jeez that's an expensive team... If Sydney don't make the Grand Final in 18/19, good luck to the fans if they're expecting a team in 19/20!

Reply #686441 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kickert could be a good fit alongside Bogut. They have complementary skill sets.

On paper a great line up but my main queries on the team would be:

- Personality clashes. Will Kickert and Randle get along? Will everyone happily accept Bogut as leader?

- Age. Kickert is 35 next month. Bogut's turning 34. Newley is 33. Lisch is 32 in a fortnight. Randle relies on speed and is 31 soon. Lisch and Bogut have had injuries lately.

At the least, between the existing NBL guys- Lisch, Newley, Kickert and Randle all being into their 30's you'd expect a bit of natural decline across the group.

Still, I reckon they should be one helluva team. I'll be very keen to watch Bogut play. And Randle and Lisch are always worth watching too. Surely that's two extra sellouts for United.

Reply #686442 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@ LV: Really good point and look at what teams like Perth are doing, much as I hate to use them as a positive example... Their local players are starting to decline, so they get the next generation in on 3 year deals... Kay and Norton are really coming into their own and like Bevo has said, the next Martin and Knight... Easier to add strong imports than it is to build a really strong local core...

Reply #686443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basically, if it doesnt work for the Kings this season (hint - it wont) then it will fall apart at the end of the year.

Reply #686449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For every bit of good defence they gained with Bogut it was equalled out with horrendous D from Kickert

Reply #686451 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Potentially Kickert offers more offensively that what his defence gives up.

Teams are going to want to double Bogut, then teams will have to choose their poison to do that or leave Kicks outside. And Bigut being an intelligent passer, could be a good partnership there. Kickert is also a very good low post offensive player.

Defensively Kickert is below average OK, but Bogut can adequately cover the paint. Bogut is a very good help defender who will help contain Kickert's man IF he is backing him down.

The weakness is if both the opposition 4 and 5 are stretch players, then Bogut will have to be drawn out.

How many teams had stretch 4 AND 5's?

Not Perth.
Not Cairns - Egwu was reluctant despite being capable.
Not United - Boone no.
Not Wollongong. AJ no.
Not Brisbane. Kickert yes but Young / Jervis no.

Only really leaves DJ/Childress combo (now gone), and Loe / Pledger combo (now gone) as threats.

Reply #686458 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Teams will likely pick and roll randle/kickert consistently but having bogut and lisch on the rim and weak side might just be enough to negate it. They're going to be incredible on O.

I understand where people are coming from in terms of personality clashes. Kickert can be incredibly aggressive towards both team mates aand officials. Most people wouldn't be privy to the preseason game v Cairns last year when he he threatened to peg the ball at an official. Drewey doesn't seem to posess the people skills to keep players like that focused. Lisch and bogut will likely help with that though and if they mesh will be incredible regardless of who else they sign. Bogut will be great for Pineau.

Reply #686459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't the Kings stop stuffing around and just sign Lebron?!

Reply #686460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was a better passer than scorer as he got older, I wouldn't be rushing a double team in a hurry.

if Sydney need rebounding, why not throw Hire a life line.

Reply #686490 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Looks like my platinum membership has jumped nearly $100 if I remember last year's price correctly. #doingmybit....

Kickert has always been a guy I love to bag on, but the offensive potential of this squad is pretty amazing. LV's point about age is a good one though.

Reply #686492 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Wagstaff kay pick and roll, also simply get the switch on an initial p and r then have the next p and r. The perimeter defence could be challanged if teams are able to drag both out. Kickert is not a bad signing, and i agree with those above his contribution on offence is likely the offset his poor defence, but not by much

Reply #686497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert - good offensively terrible defensively. Next to Bogut you want someone more mobile imo.

Reply #686499 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm glad LV has said the ages as I was gonna write about how we know what Kickert lacks and he won't be changing his game now (didn't realise he was 35).

What Kickert brings is an unbelievable free throw shooter and when in the bonus he should always be on court but aside from that I wouldn't be wasting my time on him.

I've accused him of being a marshmallow masquerading as a basketball player and I think that's how I'll always see him.

Reply #686505 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yup, soft and sooky, I doubt I will be able to change my tune on Kicks any time soon, unless his old AIS buddy can have a positive effect on him and pull his head in...

Reply #686521 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Was a great roster spot for a young guy and build on the future for Kings....a Froling type.

Reply #686534 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Pfft.....defence. They'll play zone with Bogut in the middle, you watch. Gaze can't coach so they can't do anything else

Reply #686549 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

This is a last ditch effort for the Kings.

It's win at all costs and this will either make or break Gaze and his tenure as coach.

This team has 2 years to win the Chip, Gaze however has 1.

Reply #686563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if Sydney need rebounding, why not throw Hire a life line."

The more I think about it the more i reckon Hire could actually fit in really well with the Kings.

He was disappointing for the Cats last year because the team overall lacked talent and it exposed him.

On a stacked roster like the kings you could have him on the floor off the bench with a bunch of their talented guys and I reckon he'd slot in nicely just playing his role as a team player who rebounds, hustles and can knock down the occasional 3.

Could be worth Sydney throwing him a life line and seeing what happens.

Reply #686609 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This team has 2 years to win the Chip, Gaze however has 1.

AIG have said Gaze has a 3 year window to make the playoffs.

If you cannot make the playoffs with 2 x MVPs, 1 x NBA 1st pick and champion, + Newley + Kicks + 3 Imports, something is very wrong.

Reply #686620 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Pfft.....defence. They'll play zone with Bogut in the middle, you watch. Gaze can't coach so they can't do anything else"

Agreed. Teams would expose Bogut with on ball screens. Added to that Randle and Kicket's defensive liabilities so they would most likely end up going zone.

Reply #686623 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Brunson do you realize playing a zone at elite levels requires more coaching than playing m2m?

If you're installing man D you make decisions on screen coverages and rotations and the players will gain trust in each other using those rules, but they've all seen those coverages at some time or another in their career so it's not new.

Playing a zone you're at times starting from scratch with a lot of the players possibly having to learn something new with rules and rotations very different to what's been ingrained in them.

Reply #686627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they don't make finals then surely Gaze will go down as the most inept coach in history?

Reply #686639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA Intercontinental Cup

Reply #686653 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Brunson do you realize playing a zone at elite levels requires more coaching than playing m2m?"

Not if it's a piss poor zone

Reply #686660 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If you want to throw in a basic 23 zone for a few possessions just to interrupt flow then yes maybe true, but if Sydney want to play a lot of zone with Bogey in the middle it will require huge amounts of refinements practice time, this is what was stated.

Look at Bevos 131 zone last season, even though they spent time developing it, once opponents had time to scout it they started picking it apart, so Bevo then worked on more options and adjustments.

Reply #686688 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac i love the new look site but can u make it a bit like facebook where one can comment on each post whilst scrolling? I had so much to say but have forgotten now...

Reply #686942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754