Anonymous
Years ago

NBA Free Agency Chatter

Paul George will re-sign with OKC. They are having a party tonight to announce it.

KD has re-signed with GSW.

LeBron to the Lakers appears close to a done deal.

Looks like the only remaining suspense is who will get Kawhi Leonard?

Topic #43541 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes is staying with Boston 2yrs 11million

Reply #694020 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good to see Baynes back to Boston. Good on court situation. He definitely hurt himself financially when he opted out in Detroit, but he found a great basketball situation

Reply #694021 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

More like Baynes improved things for himself financially.

He opted out of the last year of his contract with Detroit that was $6M to sign with Boston for $4M knowing he would've been very unlikely to see money like that again after his Detroit contract but by signing with an ECF team in Boston he could showcase himself on a good playoff team which even if Boston weren't interested in bringing him back would ensure a crap team would slightly overpay to get him.

A 2 year deal for $5.5M per is a great result for him not just financially but he gets to stay in Boston showcasing himself on a deep playoff team again for the next two years.

Reply #694023 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He'll be 33 years old in 2 years. Nobody is giving a 33 year old part time starting big a big contract.

He left 3m on the table to sign with Boston and is still getting less pee year than he was on in Detroit. From a purely financial stand it was a bad decision.

When he opted out at the time I said it was a risk financially and got jumped on by brave anons pointing to mozgovs contract as if he was going to get that and refusing to listen to reason.

But as I said, I think its worked out for him well on the court. Well done to him.

Reply #694024 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can't help but feel Lebron going to LA is going to be a disaster.

Even if they have a good season he may have to get through Houston and GSW just to get back to the finals.

Not too mention everything will be magnified.

Reply #694025 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cram,

Pretty sure he left $2 million on the table I think there were $1 million of incentives built in he had no hope of achieving. His 3 year deal was $18m guaranteed with $3m of incentives.

Pistons fans considered him and his contract a bust and the Pistons themselves clearly felt similar giving up on him by bringing Marjanovic in. If he had have stayed in Detroit he would be looking at not much more than vet min deals from 2018 onwards. No way would he now be getting a 2 year $11M deal especially from a great team like Boston.

I said at the time it was a brave but very astute decision to opt out and this proves it was.

Reply #694026 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

btw I never implied he will get a big contract in two years time at age 33. I said he gets to showcase himself on a deep playoff team again for the next two years and at 'only' 33 he might even still be able to get similar money again on a 2/3 year deal next time.

Reply #694027 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ed Davis got 4.4m. Baynes' 5.5m per is no great deal, just market value for a handy spot starter.

Reply #694033 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Interesting with Derrick Rose agreeing to re-sign with Minny for 1 year $2.1M it means that by being on an NBA roster next season Rose's Adidas contract will continue paying him $14.5M next season.

I was really surprised George agreed to that 4 year max deal with OKC when all the talk was he would sign a 1+1 year deal giving him the opportunity to hit the free agent market again next year. With OKC re-signing Jerami Grant they're going to have by far the biggest luxury tax bill in NBA history $150M more than the Nets record $90M in 2014. I think it's safe to assume Melo and or Steven Adams get traded before the end of the season.

Houston giving a 33 yo Chris Paul a 4 year $160M deal is just nuts.

Reply #694035 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah CP3 for 4 years with his history is a huge risk. I guess they figure its all or nothing and they'll never get a better shot.

Pg3 to stay in okc was a surprise but clearly the money spoke. If they can offload Melo they'll be ok but that's a tough ask.

Philly have lost both Bellinelli and Ilyasova which means they need to find some more shooters

Reply #694036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philly won't be too worried if they get Kawhi!

Reply #694037 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Someone made a good point about how two Southern Cali natives who were both brought up as die hard Lakers fans are now 'home' in OKC.

George didn't even give the Lakers a meeting. And then instead of a 1+1 he goes the full 4 year Monty with OKC. Yikes. Big L for the Lakers. May have be swayed by the money with OKC but surely there must have been some things that scared him away from LA.

The only thing I fear now is that Adam's is going to be on the trade block mid-season. OKC desperately need Adam's if they want to go deep into the playoffs..no question. I'd keep him in a heartbeat.

But with their luxury tax bill about to be the biggest in history; Presti will want to ease that. No one is going to be dumb enough to take Melo's $27m and the other Thunder players are either more crucial parts (WB or PG) or their contracts are small so as not to have too much impact against the bill.

Reply #694053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they have the balls to stretch Melo? That's the obvious solution for them but it's not a good look.

Reply #694056 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

CP3 deal will be an albatross for the Rockets. He'll be 37 at the end, and he is a bit of a Mr Glass. Worst contract in the NBA by the time that year 4 rolls into town. They lost Ariza and I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Gordon shortly. Need to offload that Anderson contract as well which will probably cost them a first.

Baynes deal has a player option for year 2. Good deal for all parties.

DAJ to the Mavs for the same amount he left on the table in LA ($24.1m - 1 year), must of really wanted out.

Reply #694061 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There is someone dumb enough to take on Melo's contract and he owns the Charlotte Hornets. Hell, we just took on Mozgov's contract.

Reply #694064 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Some general comments:

JJ Redick is perhaps the most underrated free-agent going around (maybe not for long term, but for short term instant offense). He averaged 17ppg last year on an outstanding 46% FG, 42% 3PFG and 90% FT split. p.s. can't believe he is 34..how quick time has flown. Feel like he's only just found his grove now and yet he is nearly at retirement age.

Though Lebron never would, I'd always thought it would be a major boost to his legacy/reputation if he turned around to Cavs, took a $15m odd paycut, re-signed with the Cavs because it's 'home' to him and they managed to move Love, TT, JR or Hill (though some of those would be difficult) and get an upgraded roster with the likes of Cousins (who they may get cheaper given his achilles injury) and say a Kemba Walker.

Houston losing Ariza will be a huge loss for them. The reason Houston had such a good year was because of their defense - spurred by three particular people IMO - Ariza, Capela and Tucker. Losing Ariza is bad. He had a bad shooting spree in the playoffs but defense was his key.

I think Philly are going to underestimate/already underestimating the value that the likes of Redick, Bellineli and Illyasova bring to the team. Those 3 gave them a combined 40ppg on pretty good shooting %'s. Simmons/Fultz are going to have to pick up some perimeter scoring to compensate - yet questions remain as to their shooting ability.

Re: Chris Paul - agree with the above comments. His durability is a concern and he has struggled recently with injuries, despite having his minutes restricted. He has played an average of just 31mpg over the last 2 years.

Reply #694079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loving what the Mavs are doing, pity about all the superteams though. DJ, Doncic, Barnes, Matthews and SMith Jnr with Dirk off the bench is pretty fun.

Reply #694084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loving what the Mavs are doing, pity about all the superteams though. DJ, Doncic, Barnes, Matthews and SMith Jnr with Dirk off the bench is pretty fun.

Reply #694085 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Jj Redick to get a 1yr 40mill contract to stay at philly

Reply #694136 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754