Anonymous
Years ago

LeBron to the Lakers

4 years $154m

Topic #43544 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sorry LeBron, I really love ya, but I hate LA more.

Reply #694088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kawhi next I guess?

Reply #694089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even more reason to Hate LA...

Reply #694090 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lebron's made a big mistake here. Just my opinion.

I think that for the first time since about 2005, Lebron is going to have some rough times.

Reply #694091 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not sure about Kawhi next. Perhaps Demarcus Cousins though?

Also, maybe LA are going to trade Ball away now. Last I heard, LBJ's management didn't want anything to do with him.

Reply #694092 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

How's Lebron going to feel about having to actually battle to get to the playoffs in the West?

Reply #694093 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Interesting times ahead. If Lonzo has to go so be it, and it's more to do with his dickhead father than anything he's done. I really hope they don't trade away the rest of their youngsters. Adding a couple of veterans who'll follow Lebron, along with the good core of youngsters, should be a competitive team

Also a real challenge for Luke Walton, I hope he handles it. I was impressed with what he started to build last season

Reply #694095 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I hate the Lakers even more now (which will only continue to fester if Kawhi ends up there).

In saying this, it does make basketball-sense. LA has some talented, young players that will ensure they finish at least 3rd in the West as presently constructed, or they could be flipped for Kawhi, AND they also have a chance to add another max contract.

I'm sure LeBron would prefer to "battle" to make the finals and have a legitimate shot at winning. The Cavs are gutted for talent and have bloated contracts that would have prevented them from improving.

Reply #694096 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Gonna be real interesting to see what team the Lakers end up putting on the floor. Ball is a terrible fit for LeBron, but would have good trade value. All comes down to whether San Antonio will play ball and move Kawhi.

Who would the Lakers go after if the Spurs don't budge? Cousins would obviously be a free agent target. Any other legit trade targets though?

Reply #694097 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Also looking at Clint Capela as a restricted free agent apparently

Reply #694098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way the Rockets let Capela walk after the commitment they made to Paul, that would be stupid.

Spurs don't have much incentive to trade Kawhi to the Lakers now unless the Lakers offer them everything they want. Trading him to the team he wants to play with when they're terrible is one thing, but if they have genuine championship aspirations, at least make him sacrifice the $$ to go there.

I agree the Lakers will have to move Ball. It will be interesting to see how the family handle that, it's a lose-lose for them.

Reply #694100 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I think hanging on to Ingram and moving Ball should be the focus. Moving one of Kuzma or Randle as well for veteran help.

Reply #694101 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes you're right. The Spurs leverage went up drastically.

Spurs can play the patient game too - whereas Lakers want it now.

And the Spurs aren't the type of team who are going to be panicked in a rush to offload him.

Reply #694102 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

We've also forgot about IT.

Could the Lakers be looking at getting rid of one or both of IT and Ball and/or others to get a Goran Dragic or Kemba type?

Reply #694103 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

yeah perhaps Hornets would be willing to give IT a few years at a reduced rate in a sign and trade to get off Kemba's deal

Reply #694104 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They need to gut this roster to get more help.

The young lakers aren't ready and LBJ has a habit of forming the narrative around how bad his teammates so doesn't look like players are lining up to play with him, particularly at 33

PG staying in OKC will make small market teams think they can do the same with Kwahi and push up the trade market for him.

Reply #694106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers add Lance Stephenson

Reply #694110 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wow Lakers might compete for the 9th seed this year.

Reply #694111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers also add JaVale McGee

Reply #694112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly the 2019/20 season is the one that the Lakers have really got their sights set on. If you can get odds on a title for that season it'd be well worth a punt.

Reply #694113 | Report this post

Lol to all the butthurt Laker haters.

Might compete for 9th place. Give me a spell.
Now LeBron is in town, look at all the experienced players looking to join him.
Just 3 hours after LeBron signs, Lance Stephenson, Javale Magee sign, Kawahi just a matter of time.

Enjoy the salt losers.

Reply #694114 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah looking like the Lakers might slow play this season and look to add Leonard next season as a Free agent. Might be worth the season to see who fits with LeBron and not make any rash decisions. I'd still try to move Ball, but perhaps without that urgency.

Reply #694115 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Add Javale McGee to the list

Reply #694116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd stay away from the hall family at all costs.

Thought rockets or Philly would have given him a championship.

Reply #694117 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Sorry. Posted before seeing that others already had.. Looking like fun times for us Lakers fans

Reply #694118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'd stay away from the hall family at all costs."

very true but this is not the AFL thread

Reply #694119 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Apart from the stupidity of the old man, I don't get that Lonzo and Lebron couldn't co-exist. Lonzo is happy to get the ball out of his hands early and Lebron running the lanes will be a nice target. At the end of the clock he can just head back on D and let the other 3 guys on the floor space as shooters

Reply #694120 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Might be worth the season to see who fits with LeBron and not make any rash decisions."

I kind of agree.

But on the flipside, Lebron will be 35 shortly after the start of the 2019 season (December birthday). Doesn't look like he's just going to fall of a cliff suddenly in terms of health and performance; but no one can ever know with the human body.

He's arguably come off his prime season and the Lakers need to get max performance and skill from him whilst he is still in beast mode (mutually speaking, Lebron would also expect the same max performance from head office).

Reply #694121 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The bookies have reacted quickly putting Lakers and Boston on equal third line of championship betting at $6 behind GSW $2.40 and Houston $5.

I think the Lakers will look for another star to pair up with LeBron.

Reply #694122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lakers add Lance Stephenson"

That's just wrong. They shouldn't be on the same team. No more blowing in ears etc.

Reply #694123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also I've been saying LBJ to Lakers since beginning of 2017-18 season and so many people shot me down. Where are you all at now? hahaha.

Reply #694124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard to claim a prediction as an anon lol

Reply #694125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's hard to claim a prediction as an anon lol"

especially when no one has been saying that here

Reply #694126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a thread recently (last week) with people naming other teams there was no way he was going to and doubting going to Lakers.

Reply #694127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like Lemanis being a dud (confirmed on Friday) now this confirmed but it's easy just to forget until it actually happens.

Reply #694128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

California Dreaming demonstrating the comprehension abilities that give Lakers fans a bad name. Pretty sure Reality's comment was a sarcastic nod to the overhype of the Stephenson signing.

And really, that's what you're going to trumpet? Stephenson and Javale McGee are lining up to play with Lebron so they're going to win some championships filling out the roster with those guys? Haven't we seen this movie before?

The Lakers have a short window. They might be able to bank on Lebron for 4 years but let's assume they're not going to win a championship this year. It's a good idea to keep the young pieces and see what fits with Lebron and who develops into a good player on a good team rather than a good player on a bad team. But if we know it's hard for superteams to mesh and win instantly, not getting that second or third superstar now might make it harder to win in 2020. Then Lebron is 36, and are you prepared to bet that a) he's still capable of being the best player on a championship team? or b) that people are still lining up to play with him because they think it'll get them a ring?

Relevance is a nice step forward for the Lakers, but they want more than that and being complacent about taking the next step doesn't seem like a good option to me.

Reply #694133 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I'm 100 percent certain they're not going to win a Championship this year. Unless it's Summer League

Reply #694134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As currently constructed they will get demolished by the Warriors and Houston. Utah will probably beat them and the Thunder are even money. They better get a second star

Reply #694141 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd expect Ingram to flourish as a second option and become a legit all star candidate. The rest of the roster need work, but they'll be a solid team even without another star coming in.

I still can't see LeBron and Ball working well together though. Kuz not so sure on either, but Randle I could see being a good option with him.

Reply #694144 | Report this post

Slam drunk  
Years ago

Wonder if lbj Nike sponsorship has anything to do with the decision...
Apparently he has a billion $$$ contract, moving to arguably the most recognisable team in the world will result in a lot of merch sales

Reply #694145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It encompasses that - LBJ wants to be a billionaire and his image needs to be magnified - being a Laker will help.

Reply #694148 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think this is much more a business decision for LeBron than a basketball decision. It's not like they're going to be a contender even if they somehow got Leonard. His endorsements and everything will go right up in LA and he'll sell a lot more shoes but I can't see him making it to the NBA Finals again.

Reply #694150 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sorry LeBron, I really love ya, but I hate LA more.
This is pretty much the opposite of how I feel.

Reply #694186 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Haha this must be a very bitter sweet day for you Koberulz!

Reply #694187 | Report this post

Listen to all you "experts"

The free agency period has just started. You think LA will sit on the team as it is??

Look for Magic to move 3-4 more players and bring in Vets. LeBron is not coming to LA for anything less than competing for Championships.
Look for 1 or more superstars to join in the next week or so

Reply #694200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True. Magic wouldn't be involved if it wasn't going to be big.

Reply #694203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Zodiac is closer to the mark than Cal Dreaming. This is a business decision masquerading as a family decision and while the Lakers might want championships out of it, Lebron wants branding and earning opportunities. Championships would be nice but this isn't the decision he would have made if all he wanted was to win.

Reply #694208 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Never have quite understood the affinity with players (especially big names like Lebron) putting so much emphasis on 'business decisions' and marketability $.

I mean he's a basketball player - that's what he is going to be judged on period. People aren't going to look back in 20 years time and say, "Man Lebron James was a damn good basketball player; but how about his business decisions..those were unreal!"

Dude is probably already worth $350m - it may as well already be a billion dollars - because when its that much money there's no difference.

Can't imagine it would be easy though when you have family, sponsors, agents etc. all stakeholders in wanting bigger markets because bigger deals = more trickle down cash.

Reply #694240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also lifestyle not just a business decision.

Cleveland climate is horrible. LA is similar to Aus.

Reply #694241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub, Lebron has spoken consistently of his desire to be a businessman, not just an athlete, and has suggested that he would like to own an NBA team one day. If your goal is to own an NBA team, there's an enormous difference between 350M and 1B.

Someone with 50k might think there's no difference between 350k and 1M, too. But someone with 350k would perceive a pretty enormous difference.

Reply #694245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more you have the more you want.

Reply #694247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's said previously he wants to be the first NBA player to be worth a billion, hasn't he?

Reply #694320 | Report this post

zodiac has a fair point but this team is not COMPLETE

Lebron has taken a team of scrubs to the finals this year.

Lebron
JR
Korver
K Love
Nance Jr
Clarkson
Thompson

I think this young Lakers team without LeBron is a 50 win team this year. This current Cavs team is a LOTTERY team this season.

Ball
LeBron
Kuz
Ingram
McGee
Randle
Stephenson
Hart
KCP
+ $40,000,000 still in cap space for the 18/19 to spend.

And you people are judging this current lineup.

Warriors still the team to beat but to think LeBron has made this more of a business decision is stupid. He will make $1 billion dollars with his branding regardless of the city.

Look for LA to make at least 2 major moves by the weekend.

Reply #694323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct kr, he wants a billie.

Reply #694324 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Rondo to the Lakers.

Boy this is getting interesting.

Lakers also renounce Randle.

Reply #694528 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I don't know how Rondo fits with LeBron, but he clearly doesn't fit with Ball, so expect Lonzo to be traded out at some point.

Randle ended up in New Orleans, which perhaps makes re signing Boogie a little less of a need. Sign and trade for Boogie to LA for a package that includes Ball?

Considering the Pels lack of wings, even Deng might be a good part of a package

Reply #694591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much easier to take a team of scrubs to the finals in the East, the West is much more competitive.

Reply #694626 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754