Anonymous
Years ago

Nbl expansion 19/20

Nbl announce league will expand in 19/20 with license granted to rommie chaudhri owner of Swansea soccer team. No announcement on where that team will b based.

Topic #43607 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/nbl-awards-license-for-ninth-team-to-enter-league-location-yet-to-be-determined/news-story/78f08ec391986314aabd6bf45dd97c16

What a joke. Kestelman would have charged a lot of money for a licence. A wood duck comes along and Kestelman inflates a (non existent) licence fee for this guy I reckon.

Gold Coast won't work. Sydney nope. Melbourne good luck. Tassie is already to go and Kestleman mentioning that is a serious slap in the face for the current group who have all their ducks lined up.

Let Melb enjoy the foreign ownership. ;)

Incidentally the sale of the Bullets is only a partial sale with Kestleman still a part owner.

Reply #696192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ You must be a bunch of fun at parties. What a moron

Reply #696194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the ex Waverley coach going to go around telling ppl again he's going to be the new head coach??

Reply #696196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gotta luv the anonymous morons posting. ;)

Reply #696198 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Its a bit odd. Giving a licence to someone who doesn't even know which city they want to put it in? Clearly LK needs the cash injection so is willing to forget any notion of ensuring incoming teams are viable long term propositions. How many elite leagues, even in Australian terms, would give someone a licence without a location that you've shown wants/can sustain a team?

Lk is thirsty

Reply #696201 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

All other team owners would want a licence fee charges as this gives value to their team.

If LK charged $0 for it then the teams are worthless.

Sydney paid for their licence to re-enter the league so it's not a new thing

Reply #696202 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Clearly LK needs the cash injection

A billionaire who hires Charlize Theron to sell multi-million dollar appartments in South Yarra.

Somehow, I don't think "cash" is what he needs.

Gold Coast won't work. Sydney nope. Melbourne good luck.

Why not for Melbourne? Sports city, with the infrastructure. In a competitive sport environment just having a team draw people, you need to market the team and engage with the population - if the NBL do that (and they are), there's no reason a second Melbourne team can't a) be successful in drawing a crowd of 5-10k and b) boost the value of the NBL in the process by entrenching the Melbourne market.

IMO prime locations for the NBL would be Melbourne #1; NZ because I think a second team and the rivalry will make the kiwis feel more associated and engaged with the NBL opposed to just having a team in a foreign league; potentially Tasmania if the support is there from local gov + cashed up sponsors + 5-10k members.

I don't think Gold Coast works, it is a failure of a city for sports in a place that has a glut of entertainment as it is. I think Canberra is still too small, and Newcastle again too small with too much competition.

The ideal formula is 1) Rich owner 2) Appropriate infrastructure 3) A big enough market to draw good sponsorship 4) A big enough & engaging population to be able to attract 5-10k to games on a regular basis

When we're taking teams away from the capital cities of Melbs, Syds, Brissy, Perth & Adelaide, #3 comes into serious question, often #2 and even #4 - and that's if you even manage a #1.

Obviously, it's not ideal to have a 6 team league of major capital cities + NZ, so hopefully a second NZ team, a second Melbs team plus a Tasmania gives the NBL a good amount of teams, variety and stability.

Reply #696205 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Please reinstate the might Newcastle Falcons!

Reply #696206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh would be great to see Newcastle up and running again. Can't see it happening just yet though

Reply #696207 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

This guy will own the second Melbourne team, bank it. The people behind the scenes at the moment for the South East Melbourne team have most things in place, a cashed up owner is the final piece.

Tassie and this team will make the league 10 teams in 19/20 which is probably the ideal amount of teams for now, and if the NBL is 12 teams by maybe 22/23 I think that's the sweet spot for a perfect size league.

Reply #696208 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A 2nd team for Melbourne will surely be the frontrunner.

- Some will say "But it's failed so many times before" There's loads more people in Melbourne than there were in 2009, the last time there were 2 teams.

- Fastest growing city in Australia and due to overtake Sydney's population soon soon.

- Melbourne United is thriving and growing every year.

This isn't to say I think it'll necessarily work, but I do think a second Melbourne team, at this point, probably has at least as good a chance of long term success as any other location in Australia.

Reply #696209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant "Melbourne good luck" as in I hope it works, cos that's where it will be.
2 new teams. Why he would mention Tassie is beyond me when everything is already in place and he knows it!

Reply #696210 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed, I think the talk surrounding this license is it will end up with a second Melb side.

If we end up with 10 teams, including 2 melbs & a tassie I think most of us would be pretty content with that situation

Reply #696214 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Gold Coast won't work. Sydney nope. Melbourne good luck.

Yeah, as I mentioned before - on most occasions merely having a side in a city doesn't make a team successful. Back then, the NBL weren't competent or marketable enough to make teams successful in drawing crowds and engaging sponsors. I think that has changed in a major way now. At this point in time, we've got the most leverage to make and take advantage of momentum:

An NBL that's stronger than ever; Boomers that are stronger and in the spotlight after the Olympics; NBAxNBL and the amount of aussies incl Ben Simmons in the NBA; plus Boomers v Dream Team. Add Bogut to Syds, that's a LOT of momentum and leverage.

Gold Coast the same argument can be made, except it's failed in highly cashed up marketed sports AFL & NRL. Plus the glut of entertainment/touristtown vibe and it is just too hard to gain traction IMO.

Reply #696215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only laugh at the suggestion that Kestelman needs a cash injection!

Reply #696216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea to build Prahan and break even ;)

Reply #696217 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Not doubting LK has loads of money. But in his investment into the nbl he's lost millions and for this investment, he needs cash. He's not going to endlessly throw his own money at the league.

He needs this investment to start bringing money in and give the appearance of a league worth investing in.

That's why he's willing to forget about things like market viability etc.

Reply #696219 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've got my glass-half-full hat on this morning, so I'll say that maybe this isn't about money at all, but rather LK is just looking long-term towards his ideal thriving league, which consists of a lot more than 8 teams, and he is trying to get those wheels in motion.
The whole "mystery location" thing is a bit strange, because I doubt it's true, in which case I'm thinking he's just using today's news as a way to get some more publicity & momentum behind those other locations, knowing full well that they're not on the cards for this licence but also knowing that he'd still like as many of them as possible to come to fruition down the track.

Reply #696222 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Glass-half-empty hat:
Chaudhari is just super-desperate to have his name associated with Premier League :p

I see the NBL as one of the premier leagues in the world and a global entertainment product watched by fans around the world.

Reply #696223 | Report this post

Felicity  
Years ago

A canberra based AIS under 21 team needs to be a priority, give them a degree and stop them going offshore to US colleges.

Players could be based in Sydney and Melbourne so they dont get bored.

Reply #696224 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Seems odd to me not having a location yet.

I have always liked the AIS based idea. 3 imports, a 30yo+ local veteran and 7 or 8 young players aged 18-25. Don't see why they couldn't be based in Canberra.

Reply #696229 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Need to make an announcement on expansion to help shore up a TV deal?

Reply #696232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glass-half-empty hat:
Chaudhari is just super-desperate to have his name associated with Premier League :p

The other appeal of the NBL for Chaudari was the fact there is no relegation.

Reply #696240 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

'have always liked the AIS based idea. 3 imports, a 30yo+ local veteran and 7 or 8 young players aged 18-25. Don't see why they couldn't be based in Canberra.'

This is a Pro league mate...

Reply #696241 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"ts a bit odd. Giving a licence to someone who doesn't even know which city they want to put it in? Clearly LK needs the cash injection so is willing to forget any notion of ensuring incoming teams are viable long term propositions. How many elite leagues, even in Australian terms, would give someone a licence without a location that you've shown wants/can sustain a team?

Lk is thirsty"

He said he'd be helping this owner through the arrangement. Clearly they have spots already in mind that they think are viable, otherwise they wouldn't be looking to expand at all. You make it sound like it's all been guess work as to what locations might work. They'd have a list and they'd know, and it would just be about this guy choosing what he thinks he can work with.

But hey, for some reason people hate progress and hate the idea of bringing people with money into the game.

"Not doubting LK has loads of money. But in his investment into the nbl he's lost millions and for this investment, he needs cash. He's not going to endlessly throw his own money at the league.

He needs this investment to start bringing money in and give the appearance of a league worth investing in.

That's why he's willing to forget about things like market viability etc."

Umm... people with money have invested all over the NBL. Have you been asleep? Who do you think owns Sydney and New Zealand now? Perth? Even bloody Adelaide have richer owners than they used to. Are you high? Nothing about the "appearance" of a league worth investing in. People are actively investing in it. You sound like the kind of fan whp'd be pissed off whether or not people bought teams.

"A canberra based AIS under 21 team needs to be a priority, give them a degree and stop them going offshore to US colleges.

Players could be based in Sydney and Melbourne so they dont get bored."

^ This is why women weren't allowed to have the vote for so long.

"have always liked the AIS based idea. 3 imports, a 30yo+ local veteran and 7 or 8 young players aged 18-25. Don't see why they couldn't be based in Canberra.'

This is a Pro league mate..."

Yeah, because we need to have a team that gets smacked every week owned by a guy with big money. I am sure he'd love to invest in that.

Really there are some morons on this board. People who hate progress. They get angry that their shitty little rural teams can't keep up so they try to keep everyone else down. Their interests are selfish and not for the good of Australian basketball.

Reply #696247 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Always enjoy "ME" thinking he is the king of the board.

There are some morons on this forum and you are one of the biggest.

You will always make me laugh.
Take a chill pill.

Reply #696248 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Abusing women's voting rights...
Really?

Reply #696249 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Well, back in my day we'd call the statement you're refering to a "joke" because what she said was just a dumb idea.

Reply #696250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not doubting LK has loads of money. But in his investment into the nbl he's lost millions and for this investment, he needs cash. He's not going to endlessly throw his own money at the league."

Economies of scale. What Kestelman has lost on the NBL he makes back on his other businesses on a regular basis. It's like saying a millionaire who loses a few hundred on the races each weekend "needs cash" to continue punting.

The reality is, the NBL is about to make some good coin through the sale of the rights to the Boomers v USA games. There is no need for cash whatsoever at this point.

Reply #696252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not what economies of scale means but ok

Reply #696254 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am baffled how....

Players could be based in Sydney and Melbourne so they dont get bored."

lead to .....

^ This is why women weren't allowed to have the vote for so long.

Reply #696257 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In all seriousness if Darwin was to ever get a team into a national sporting league then they'd need to have an rich owner that isn't afraid of going agains the grain (like owning a Welsh team to compete against English teams) so they really should reach out to this guy...

I'm kinda joking but it ticks the boxes of putting a team in a market that won't take fans away from other teams... just like I think Tasmania, Canberra, Newcastle and Geelong would likewise do.

But I do have a funny feeling that this could be a second Perth team with a Dockers vibe to them.

If this is indeed a second Melbourne team then will this silence the AFL clubs trying to buy licences ?

Reply #696259 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Its one of either titans, razorbacks, giants, dragons, crocs, falcons spirit, devils, tigers or slingers.

Anyone but dandenong or geelong

Reply #696260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL aren't interested anymore. That' why LK found this guy.

Reply #696263 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"AFL aren't interested anymore. That' why LK found this guy."

Yet another ridiculous, unsubstantiated statement.

Reply #696268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me's logic is as good as Reality's. Perhaps the same person ;)

Reply #696270 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Even if the AFL weren't interested, very rich businessmen are. Tell me whose interested in anything you do?

Reply #696275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne looming (as predicted) for the new licence.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-in-frame-to-host-new-nbl-franchise-owned-by-labased-entrepeneur-romie-chaudhari/news-story/6b4707835b64e30c8761407e957a4187

Reply #696277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may not be Melbourne based on venue availability now.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/swansea-owner-wins-nbl-expansion-team-but-melbourne-could-miss-out-20180712-p4zr4p.html
Look out Perth too.

Reply #696278 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

How people can ME insult in one day?
Take your chill pill buddy.

No need to put others down :)-

Reply #696280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK's business model not sustainable in the long-term. It is very risky. Difficult for the die hard fan to see that. The reason why BBall, Soccer and other non traditional Aussie sports do not survive long term at the top end in this market, even with massive jnr participation, is 'conflict of interest'. You have to deal with that first before you can have a sustainable model. That means a selfless effort by the sport, to promote the sport, without snouts in the trough. Do we reckon LK is really in this for the love of the game? seriously? Its a business deal. Nothing wrong with that, but at the end of the day for the NBL to survive it needs to stand on its own 2 feet. Generate its own revenue, stand alone as a business, without being propped up by millionaires trying to make money. LK has to walk away at some point. His business case says that point is around 2020. That's when he makes a profit, breaks even or cuts his losses and hands the reigns over to a governing body (commission AFL style). That's when we find out if this thing survives or not. LK is a business men, first and foremost. Word of caution - unknown business man from the US, owns 3rd tier EFL team, with heaps of cash buying a licence in a young market, not knowing where the franchise is going to be setup, sorry, great big red flag. Anyone heard of John Spano?

Reply #696284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are Swansea, a team that is in the second division and were premier league for seven seasons until this upcoming season a third tier club?

Reply #696285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 team by 2025

South Melbourne (Melbourne)
Hobart
Gold Coast (Brisbane + Cairns)
Newcastle (Sydney + Illawarra)
Canberra
Wellington (Auckland)
(Perth)
(Adelaide)

Reply #696293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"AFL aren't interested anymore. That' why LK found this guy."

Yet another ridiculous, unsubstantiated statement.

Jeff Kennett of the AFL Hawks said they wanted to see governance issues resolved before contemplating getting involved in the NBL.

Reply #696295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i.e. they said no in a political manner/put LK down softly.

Reply #696299 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

" Do we reckon LK is really in this for the love of the game? seriously? Its a business deal. "

Yeah, he looked at the NBL and thought 'JACKPOT!!!!!!!' lol.

How about no?

"Generate its own revenue, stand alone as a business, without being propped up by millionaires trying to make money. "

Businesses aren't run by millionaires trying to make money?

"Jeff Kennett of the AFL Hawks said they wanted to see governance issues resolved before contemplating getting involved in the NBL."

One guy representing one team said he'd wait on it. That's hardly "the AFL isn't interested"/

Reply #696300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks were the only club apparently interested. Kennett is from Hawks.

Reply #696301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennett said that because their is no governance. That's how LK can simply hand out another licence and take someone's cash who clearly has done no serious research in much about the NBL. Let alone come in say say "I want a team in such and such a place".
Idiotic.

Reply #696302 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I just find people's attitude to LK unbelievable. He dips into his own pocket, spending millions to keep a competition you love alive, he works his ass off to achieve it, is patient, and has brought about improvements and changes most of us never thought possible, yet you still bitch, whine and complain. I think a few of yuou should be banned from even watching NBL really. He basically upgraded your soup kitchen to a free Mc Donalds and you're bitching that the buns are slightly over toasted.

Reply #696303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #696304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having a go at LK, far from it. The issue is the die hard fans that see him as a knight in shining armour, and he is not. He is a business man, first and foremost. Yep 'jackpot' if his business model stands up. If the NBL cannot stand alone it won’t survive. That is a fact. LK has a very risky business plan. He has stated as much and will decide whether he is in or out around 2020. Governance issues, code for ‘self interest’. Really do hope NBL survives and thrives. But it won’t unless it can stand alone. Like soccer, like netball, like baseball, like 20/20 cricket, like NRL, like Rugby Union, like AFL and so on and so on. History will show that an individual propping up a sporting competition has a very short life span.

Reply #696308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All sports are propped up by someone. Only difference is they also have TV rights deals whereas NBL do not. LK making headway with this (we hope).

Reply #696309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a great development.....well done again LK. A well credentialed business person, with real experience in Sports / Team ownership. I hope Melbourne get the second team, but more importantly that they get it right.

Reply #696311 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think we would all like a Mark Cuban to own an NBL team and have a working relationship with his Dallas Mavericks but this guy doesn't sound completely clueless and who's to say that NBA owners won't look at the outlay and find that buried down the back of their couch and then buy in... if NBL is truly making headway then why can't we think it's a possibility that say the Denver Nuggets owner watches his team play the Perth Wildcats and then looks deeper into investing into a team.... he even has Torrey Craig on his books and potentially in his ear...

Reply #696321 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

This is the way the league is heading. At the end of the day, it has almost always taken somebody with deep pockets to back an NBL team.
I am a little concerned that its getting out of hand, becoming nothing but a hobby-league for bored billionaires, but it is what it is.

Having a billionaire with deep pockets commit to backing a team, is in some ways a better option than having a passionate city desperate for a team, but without a pot to piss in.

I'd agree that Melbourne would seem to be the front runner. Gold Coast is a possibility, if he's prepared to keep buying success long-term.
Or I wonder if he might like the idea of founding a team in the nation's capital?

Reply #696326 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

This also generates a lot of speculation, talk, and interest, which is a good thing.
Plus its going to get a lot of people off their arses and pitching to host the new team. That's a good way to generate support, and concessions from government.

Reply #696328 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah Dazz that's why I made the comment about Darwin, there's literally no chance they get a team but if he is the type to throw a dart at a map and say "let's go there" then they have a chance but it will also take influential people from the Territory to reach out to him

Reply #696329 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"It may not be Melbourne based on venue availability now.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/swansea-owner-wins-nbl-expansion-team-but-melbourne-could-miss-out-20180712-p4zr4p.html"

What a bunch of piffle.

Yes, getting a venue is an issue. An issue that every city would face, but which Melbourne has probably the LEAST problem.
Whereas many cities are struggling to provide one, Melbourne has at least three great venues.
They could start out playing their games at MCA, and have cross-town games at RLA.

Yes, you have the issue of unavailability during the Australian Open, and other tournaments, but its not insurmountable.

Reply #696330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are using the uncertainty of the club's location to drive better deals. Smart thinking.

Reply #696354 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I like that they are pushing for better stadium deals. Back in the 1990s, I recall a report stating that renting Rod Laver required an average more the 8000 just to break even. Obviously can't say that figure was accurate then nor remains anywhere near accurate today, but Melbourne Park venues have long reportedly had very high asking prices for rent. You'd think that somewhere like MCA -- great size, location and great venue for basketball -- would have plenty of availability and the stadium managers would be happy to secure a new tenant for 14 nights a year on an inexpensive deal, but then again...

Reply #696365 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"They are using the uncertainty of the club's location to drive better deals. Smart thinking."

I think you're right.

If you say "I want to start a team in Melbourne" then everybody just gets $$ in their eyes and starts in with the demands
"well you must hire one of our stadiums"
"you need our approval"
etc, etc

Better to get stadium owners, local associations, and governments pitching for your business.

Reply #696382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK locked in an investor with deep pockets, where's the negative?

Reply #696385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will always be sourpusses. Always.

Reply #696387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The short version of the NBL is the World Cup soccer. Australia is going to win. Hello, no your not!!! Small fry.

Reply #696392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that you, Carl? NBL is way better than PBA.

Reply #696393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it, really? It is a back water fledging comp propped up by a millionaire. You aussies need to get your hand out of your pants and realise...nothing!!!

Reply #696395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not me. I don't give a crap about Nbl, Pba and other leagues. Only kickert goudling and boomers. Hahaha.

Reply #696397 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I like that they are pushing for better stadium deals. Back in the 1990s, I recall a report stating that renting Rod Laver required an average more the 8000 just to break even. Obviously can't say that figure was accurate then nor remains anywhere near accurate today, but Melbourne Park venues have long reportedly had very high asking prices for rent.
If you can't sell 8,000 tickets you shouldn't be renting the 15,400 seat stadium in the first place. The issue wasn't the rent, per se, it was the lack of a mid-sized venue. There are now two options in Hisense and MCA, so there's no reason to be going to RLA unless you're sure you can sell enough tickets to afford it.

A second Melbourne team could be a serious issue in January. Two teams unable to have any home games for a month (and Perth unable to have any the month prior) would lead to some crazy scheduling. It's bad enough with one, which is why United are trying to play games in Tassie.

Reply #696408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah United wanting $200,000 to play a game in Tassie. Idiotic.

Reply #696425 | Report this post

Felicity  
Years ago

So looks like ME is a man. Mystery solved.

Reply #696426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a man is not a problem. It's being the kind of man who when presented with an idea he disagrees with on an open forum (where ideas that are often unlikely but fun are presented, including some by him in the past) says its dumb and thinks it's ok to make a misogynist "joke" because the person who presented the idea was apparently female.

Reply #696432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD said "Gold Coast is a possibility". If he ever had any credibility it's now gone.
Dumbest quote of 2018.

Reply #696434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the guy who says the NBL needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet without being propped up by big investors, that's what LK is trying to achieve. He has made it clear that he wants involvement from successful businessmen like the new guy, who will have ideas to try and get this thing into the profit and also the capital to try and make things happen.

Reply #696437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is laughable that some want to spin what from all accounts appears to be a successful businessman with sports experience investing in the NBL as a negative and a desperate cash grab. You can be sure those same people would say "see, the league is worthless" if they decided to give the licences away for free to nobodies.

Reply #696438 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Getting back to the topic of 2019/20 season, based on the assumption there will be 10 teams.

Would people like to see NBL remain at 28 game regular season or bump up to 36 with games from Thursday through to Monday?

Other ideas eg off location games...

Reply #696439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as they don't try the conference idea until the get to at least 14 teams I'm easy.
If we assume 10 teams for 19/20 do you play each team twice or three times or stick with 4? Part of the appeal of the league is that you can play a full season then pick up a Europe contract so you really wouldn't want to make it much longer

Reply #696440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the play-offs? Top 6?

Reply #696443 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Play the other teams 3 times each = 27 games; play your "rival" a fourth time to make it 28 games total for the regular season.

Top 6 make it to playoffs

Week 1 best of 3
G1 1v2 - W to G4; L to G5
G2 3v6 - W to G5
G3 4v5 - W to G4

Week 2 best of 3
G4 - W to G6
G5 - W to G6

Weeks 3,4 best of 5
G6

Reply #696447 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I want to stick with 2 home games vs each opponent, that is the appeal of basketball over the footy codes for example that you can see your team vs a certain team at the start of the season and then see that same opponent load up after they replace an underperforming import with one with a higher profile.

The season could be a little longer but by more than 2 weeks and you're starting to take away it's appeal to imports and our greater locals that want the cash grab of going to Europe.

Unsure how the membership structure will be affected by the additional teams and games but I hope that teams don't get too greedy and want to stay more loyal to their members

Reply #696448 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I want to stick with 2 home games vs each opponent, that is the appeal of basketball over the footy codes for example that you can see your team vs a certain team at the start of the season and then see that same opponent load up after they replace an underperforming import with one with a higher profile.

The season could be a little longer but by more than 2 weeks and you're starting to take away it's appeal to imports and our greater locals that want the cash grab of going to Europe.

Unsure how the membership structure will be affected by the additional teams and games but I hope that teams don't get too greedy and want to stay more loyal to their members

Reply #696449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28 games is enough. You'll just have to even out the fixtures over the course of a few seasons.

Reply #696451 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I'm with 28 games, 30 at most. Another thing to consider now is Boomers qualifying windows during the season.

Reply #696461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have any information on the 10th licence? Is it a goer for 2019-20 etc?

Reply #696462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great investment decision from a 'smart businessman'.
Spend X Millions of $$$$$'s on a licence and don't have a location to call home.
"World class training facilities".
United trained outta the Sabres gym FFS. Get the idea?? MSAC is their next training venue. Hardly world class either.

Reply #696468 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

32 games (9 team league) is fine. At that level I certainly wouldn't want to start messing with the system.

36 games might be a stretch without a significant lengthening of the season. At 10 teams, you could possibly go to a 3 game format, which would be 27 games. But the problem there is that you have an uneven number of home and away games.

Reply #696471 | Report this post

SA plan  
Years ago

MT Gambier have done great in SEABL over the year, maybe that could be home to the new team. The locals really get behind the team!

Reply #696521 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Gotta admit LK is the best thing that has happened to the NBL in a long time.

Im very keen on the Tassie bid, if it doesn't happen can't say the boxes haven't been ticked - have had a real crack. $'S there, community on board,sustainable, own facility etc etc

Reply #696541 | Report this post

Tasmania  
Years ago

Tasmania is in. Confirmation next Saturday. Choudry will be a different team though.

Reply #696544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has been magnificent, he's doing what Kerry Packer did for cricket and basketball is real world sport.

Reply #696548 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

wonder what this will do to membership prices.. Will every club pass on a 15% price increase on members to cover the extra costs? freeze it for existing members a la Perth? scale it up over a couple of seasons?

Reply #696559 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Not all costs will increase. Variable costs associated with each game will increase 14%, everything else on a sliding scale, with some not increasing at all.
So I'd expect revenue would need to increase somewhere in the vicinity of 5~10%. Individual ticket sales should go up with the extra game, but yes for teams with big seated memberships they will have to pass it on.
I'd be happy paying an extra 10% for another 2 home games.

Reply #696567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever AD says simply ignore.

Reply #696569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ you could've done that also.
But you didn't. Dazz is entitled to his opinion.

Reply #696572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania.
I have no idea where you get your info from but the NBL won't be handing a licence out on Saturday to Tasmania.
Happy to have a bet with you that you are wrong. $1.

Reply #696604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman isn't even in country atm and more importantly the Tassie bid hasn't secured a playing venue yet.
Make no mistake the Tassie bid should get up and I would expect some Tassie announcements shortly.

Reply #696715 | Report this post

Tasmania  
Years ago

The consortium is buying and upgrading the DEC and it is expected to be ready and suitable before 19/20 season. Kestleman has agreed to the license. It's done. I'm telling you, you will find out Saturday that the deal is DONE. The ink has already dried on the paper.

Reply #696722 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Just waiting on offer being accepted for venue re Tassie bid (Derwent Entertainment Centre - with upgrade )

Reply #696723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestelman is in the country, was sitting next to hutchy this morning.

Reply #696726 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

LK is in Paris, the interview with Hutchy was pre recorded.

Reply #696727 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"Kestelman is in the country, was sitting next to hutchy this morning."

He was interviewed on SEN this morning from Paris. Ever thought they could of been old photos?? LOL

Reply #696728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets quash this stupid rumour once and for all.
The Tassie bidders have not given their pitch to the NBL.
The NBL are keen according to tonight's news quoting Kestleman but that is it.

Reply #696731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #696734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have already said it wont be. Sorry.

Reply #696736 | Report this post

Tasmania  
Years ago

Not sure that you guys understand how the media works but you'll never see it happen that there is silence, and then suddenly an announcement that a team has sprouted up in some place. The wheels have been turning for a while, Saturday has been set in stone for a while. These guys are media savvy, they know how to drum up interest. It drums up no interest just to announce the deal. There are still sponsors to lure. But yes, the license is signed over. Tasmania has offered the NBL a very interesting and unique business model and it has been given the go ahead.

As I said, this will be confirmed next weekend.

Reply #696737 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My understanding is there will be a significant reveal of the bid in the Mercury coming up, but not an announcement of the licence. Would love that to happen too though, so happy to be wrong.

The folks down here who have seen the bid have been blown away, it's much more than just a basketball team from what I'm told and with some serious coin behind it.

Reply #696761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The consortium is buying and upgrading the DEC and it is expected to be ready and suitable"

So, they're demolishing it and rebuilding from the ground up?

The DEC is a rundown shithole. They're planning on spending a couple of $M, which will barely buy a new paintjob. Even when tarted up, it is still too small and old to be an NBL venue.

Some people just have no fucking idea.
Have you bothered to look and see what Kestleman is doing with the league?
He's just announced that he's convinced another Billionaire to invest big bucks in a top-dollar franchise.
Do you really imagine he's going to match that with some piss-poor 3rd rate team in the Tasmanian Boonies?

Any Tasmanian Bid will require the Government to commit to a state of the art venue, and one large enough to host a sustaining crowd.

Reply #696772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The owners of the prospective Tassie team are looking to put $50 mill-plus into redeveloping the DEC into shops, apartments, accommodation as well as an upgraded stadium. This group have links to concert promoters etc so they know there'll be return on an upgraded stadium well beyond NBL game nights.

Reply #696780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul is spot on an clearly knows what's on the way. There will be prxess every day this week in The Mercury on the bid for the NBL licence.
Todays article "pay wall" sorry.
Tasmania is simply wrong.
Todays article. Sorry for full posting acknowledgement Smithie ;)

"
JUSTIN Hickey has read and heard all the reasons on why Tasmania can't sustain a top-flight sporting club in a national code.

The state is too small, the north-south divide, not enough economic value, the list goes on.

And it is these reasons he is throwing a part of his sizeable fortune behind proving the doubters wrong.

Hickey is the man with deep pockets who is bankrolling the state’s push to gain an NBL licence, and he will leave no stone unturned in his quest to do so.

With the AFL fumbling the ball and A-League turning its back on the state, Hickey is ready to strike for basketball.

"I have always wanted to own some sort of sports team, and now having the money I thought I may as well try and start," Hickey told the Mercury in an exclusive interview.

“You would be surprised of the dramas that happen in Tassie sport, particularly the AFL, then the A-League team not getting up and the NBL expansion, it is always at the forefront of the [interstate] media.

“Tassie gets a lot of airtime in the Herald Sun and the Age and on TV about the lack of a presence, that is a big driver for me, not so much about sticking it up them, but showing we can make it a sustainable model and we will be competitive.

“People don’t think Tasmania can sustain financially, long term, a national sporting franchise.

“That’s why they seem to get fobbed off, and that’s what we are driving home now, that we have a business case that breaks the mould.”

A former St Virgil’s College student, Hickey was a talented junior who had both basketball and football fighting for his services.

When he was just 16 when he became the youngest ever Hobart Hornets debutant in the then Continental Basketball Association (now SEABL) in 1993, and he was in the last Devils squad in 1996 when the side was booted from the NBL.

Injuries eventually saw him quit sport and he moved to Melbourne when he was 20.

He began buying and selling businesses, paving the path for his incredible success which now sees him as managing director of Digital Elder — A BRW Fast 50 company — HumblAbode, HydraPlay and Director Tickanova to name a few.

Hickey preparing for the Around the World race in 2004 at the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron, Williamstown.
Hickey is also a keen yachtsman, having contested the likes of the Sydney and Melbourne to Hobart’s, as well as competing in the Around the World race in 2004.

But it was business interests which led to him crossing paths with Chargers president David Bartlett close to a decade ago, and in the past year the two have joined forces to fast track Tasmania’s NBL bid.

“David is obviously into tech and I have a couple of really big tech companies, one of them has 70 staff and we have offices all over Australia as well as London and Florida,” Hickey said.

“I ran into him somewhere and we have touched base ever since.

“I can’t remember where it was but we caught up and got chatting via email and for him it was just the struggle of not having someone being able to structure up something like an NBL team as a business,” Hickey said.

“All the ducks lined up really, we just kicked off about a year ago and are now at the point where we are nearly ready to launch.”

Through Hydraplay, Hickey has already put an unsolicited offer into the Glenorchy City Council to buy the Derwent Entertainment Centre and adjacent land, a critical piece of the puzzle for the NBL bid.

And while the lure of owning a national sports franchise is great, as a businessman Hickey has grand plans and is prepared to pour $80 and $90 million to turn the area into a sports and entertainment precinct.

“Tasmania has great food and wine, there is Mona, it has awesome tourism, but it doesn’t have the events coming in as well.

“Putting my business hat on, that’s really why I’m looking at it. It is a potential gold mine if we put the money into it and structure it right and run it as a proper business.

“Not just basketball but other sporting events, I have some other things in mind as well given we will potentially own the ticketing system so we can put our own events on.”

Last week the NBL announced it would expand in 2019-20, with a licence granted to business­man Romie Chaudhari, despite there being no location or name for the team.

Unperturbed, Hickey will forge ahead with or without official backing from the league.

“We’re still looking at 2019, that hasn’t and won’t change. It is a big risk for me, it is happening regardless of the NBL or not.

“The way I see it, you can’t run an NBL competition on eight teams, you can’t run it on nine teams, you really need to run it on 12 to 14.

“We have done a lot of work on this and when we present it — it should come out in the next couple of weeks — the name, the design, the tag lines, the colour schemes, they will see how far advanced we are.”

Reply #696795 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Best of luck to them.

The NRL Cronulla Sharks developed their assets through real estate development a while back (1990s?) so it can be done. I seem to remember it involved expensive apartments. Sharks have been much more successful lately.

If it gets up, the franchise won't have any national league competition aside from cricket, and only BBL teams get any crowds.

Would the DEC redevelopment have much competition in the real estate, retail and concert markets? Is the DEC near other outdoor larger venues to take advantage of other sports’ crowds in future (AFL games at Hobart, Sydney to Hobart). Is DEC well located for its other planned purposes?

From above article, Hickey seems genuine and seems to be committed. The plans in article would mean diversified income streams to give it a decent shot if the plans are based on demand and realistic projected growth.

Reply #696802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep onwards and upwards for the Tasmanian bid, should great for Tasmania and the Nbl. A ten team competition who would have thought just a few years ago when there was nearly no competition.

Reply #696807 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Anonymous
A few hours ago

Paul is spot on an clearly knows what's on the way. There will be prxess every day this week in The Mercury on the bid for the NBL licence.
Todays article "pay wall" sorry.
Tasmania is simply wrong.
Todays article. Sorry for full posting acknowledgement Smithie ;)"

Having read your novella, I would like to add, in support of your comments, the following:

You point out that AFL etc have all failed, mainly for economical/market-size type reasons, on a national level. Choices. 1) Get out and stay out.2) Look for/ find something that is viable. With the difference in funding a basketball franchise compared to any football codes (barring footsal), basketball and or netball are ideal for fulfilling "reasonable" ambitions

Guess which choice a self-made businessman (no, I don't know Hickey) would make. Have a go or opt out? No brainer, for me.

Finally, having never achieved much in my life (in these contexts, anyhow), I would be embarresed to publicly criticise business choices of those who have. Hope the critics also have track records in "having a go!"

That's all.

Reply #696810 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Oh! And good luck Tassie.

Reply #696811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some anonymous person says The DEC is too small (for the 2nd time).
Sorry a 5000 seat stadium is a perfect size for basketball. Run down, no its not just needs a refurb.
Oh and their is no Government contribution needed for this bid. The Government has been consulted and is 100% behind the bid FYI. It's fully backed by the consortium that probably has at least the same amount of money collectively behind them as the new NBL owner. So piss off with your hatred here.
It failed the first time and now it's failed the 2nd time.

Reply #696813 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It wouldn't be that hard for them to add another 2, 000 seats. And seeing as they'll own the venue and not have to pay running costs they can easily sustain a team on 5,000 fans a week.

Reply #696817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The inside of the DEC won't remain the same.

Reply #696823 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They've got 18monthsish to:

1) Get the stadium as ready as possible in time to fit 5,500 odd fans
2) Get to 4,500-5,000 fans attending games on the regular
3) Attracting a main sponsor willing to put in reasonable cash
4) Signing up some good core Aussie talent

Reply #696824 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How w much money does the Tas govt hand over to the AFL for visiting "home" teams to play there? What revenue does this generate per album?

How much revenue would the proposed franchise bring to Tassie?

NBL running costs would be way less per game than AFL.

The above discussed would seem to provide real benefits to Tasmanian economy outside of the games themselves, in redevelopment of the precinct and bringing other events and tourists in.

The bid team has every right to crunch the numbers relative to the part time AFL presence and present this to the Tas govt.

Reply #696826 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Game, not album.

Reply #696827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Justin Hickey is a former Devils squad member it has to be Devils, right?

Reply #696831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL is about TV rights, generating local revenue is for the Government. AFL dont care about that

Reply #696835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Evan the big euro teams not many have over 5000 seats, great size for basketball stadium.

Reply #696839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not exactly true. AFL still want to grow the game and if they put a team there they will need to ensure they have the support. Don't want another Gold Coast. Although Tassie has AFL pedigree. Lots of lessons for NBL. Indoor sport in Tassie, played at Hobart and Launey would do really well. Capture the whole state.

Reply #696840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defiantly indoor sport in Tassie will do well, and agree needs to be at both ends of the island. Capture the whole market. Hobart and Launceston both have good venues.

Reply #696844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is huge in TAS especially the Northwest. NWBU!

Reply #696847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the Tassie SEABL team pull a crowd?

Reply #696851 | Report this post

Blerg  
Years ago

There's three Tassie SEABL teams. Hobart Chargers consistent pull crowds of 2,000+

Reply #696853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No brainer then, crowd plus TV equals $. MU away games only a boat ride away. They need to be competitive though. Who's in the team?

Reply #696854 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

According to AFR, Crocmedia paid $2.5mil for the 25% valuing Melbs United at $10mil.

That's a fair amount of dosh.

Benefit for crocmedia is they aren't just owners: they will get some return from airing the games on their network SEN, and can use Melbourne United sponsor opportunities to provide additional value to sponsors of their network of shows/stations.

It wouldn't shock me to see crocmedia start producing a basketball show, or assist with NBL TV.

Reply #696868 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Tasmania is in. Confirmation next Saturday. Choudry will be a different team though.
The consortium is buying and upgrading the DEC and it is expected to be ready and suitable before 19/20 season. Kestleman has agreed to the license. It's done. I'm telling you, you will find out Saturday that the deal is DONE. The ink has already dried on the paper.
The wheels have been turning for a while, Saturday has been set in stone for a while. These guys are media savvy, they know how to drum up interest. It drums up no interest just to announce the deal. There are still sponsors to lure. But yes, the license is signed over. Tasmania has offered the NBL a very interesting and unique business model and it has been given the go ahead.

As I said, this will be confirmed next weekend.
You've gone awful quiet.

Reply #697742 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think we need to point out every time someone is wrong on a forum

Reply #697743 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

"Tasmania has offered the NBL a very interesting and unique business model and it has been given the go ahead."
"Saturday has been set in stone for a while"
"Tasmania is in. Confirmation next Saturday."
Wrong, wrong and WRONG.

Tasmania haven't even presented to the NBL yet. If they don't get control of the DEC they won't even present.

Often people make silly statements but this is howler of 2018 and it does need to be pointed out.

Reply #697757 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754