Melbourne Boy
Years ago

Kawhi/Green traded for DeRozan/Poeltl/pick

Breaking now, Kahwi 1 year left on his contract, DeRozan 3 years.

Topic #43634 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lame. Kahwi and LeBron at Lakers please.

Reply #697094 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

This time next year he will be a Laker

Reply #697095 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

So much for DeRozan avoiding LeBron in the playoffs.

Reply #697096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat me to it, Isaac please delete the other thread.

I would have preferred a pick heavy package from the Lakers or Boston, and a few down seasons but an obvious pathway to building a championship core. I'm not convinced that an Aldridge/DeRozan pairing gets you to the playoffs in the West.

Reply #697097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Melb Boy.

Reply #697098 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

More mid range to the Spurs, that'll help in the West.

Reply #697099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they've managed to score Anunoby in the deal I'll feel better. But currently lack a qualified starter at one of the most important positions in the league. But Toronto shouldn't have had to give up much more than DeRozan given the discrepancy in contract lengths between him and Kawhi.

Reply #697100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Asked on Twitter but let's immortalise a dumb question here: can Toronto immediately deal Kawhi on to the Lakers? Word is that Kawhi doesn’t want to be at the Raptors, so surely the well-regarded Raptors GM president isn’t just throwing away a piece, and someone who was committed to Toronto as well. I suspect there’s more to it.

Reply #697104 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sucked in to Kawhi. He thought he could orchestrate a trade to the Lakers now meaning when he becomes a FA next year they would be able to offer him around $40M more than any other team. Now he has to sign with them as a FA and leave that money on the table in Toronto.

DeRozan isn't that great but a pretty good get for the Spurs given the position Kawhi put them in.

Reply #697105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lewenberg:

No Raptors player has ever embraced the city of Toronto, country of Canada, or the organization like DeRozan. This is a business & sometimes tough/unpopular decisions have to be made, but hard to fathom losing him for a guy that (reportedly) has 0 interest in playing for the team

DDR on IG: "Soon you'll understand..." and "Be told one thing & the outcome another! Can´t trust em. Ain´t no loyalty in this game. Sell you out quick for a little bit of nothing..."

Apparently he was told during Summer League that he wouldn't be traded. Woj:
Sources close to DeRozan told ESPN's Chris Haynes that DeRozan met with Toronto brass in Las Vegas during summer league and was told he would not be traded.

Reply #697106 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There was talk after the Raptors got knocked out of the playoffs that they really wanted to break up the team and especially trade DeRozan but felt he would be to hard to trade so sacked Casey instead.

It's a great trade for Toronto Kawhi will obviously leave but it gets them out of the 3 years that were left on DeRozan's big money contract.

Reply #697108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Ujiri hoping to flip him for picks and tank for Barrett

Reply #697110 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sad for DeRozan if he is traded..but he should see it as a silver lining if its to the Spurs. He could improve his game and really take it to the top tier of SF's with Durant and LBJ. Scary what he could become.

Hopefully Kawhi has to ride out a year in Toronto; he deserves at least that the way he has carried on.

Reply #697111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't they have got something more for DDR than a year of half-arsed Kawhi though?

Woj just now:

Toronto has reached agreement in principle to acquire San Antonio's Kawhi Leonard for package that includes DeMar DeRozan, league sources tell ESPN. Trade is larger on both sides, and players are still being informed of their inclusion in the deal. Trade call with league today.
Only DeRozan's been informed so far.

Reply #697112 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

As a Raptors fan I'm disappointed.

DDR has some issues that mean he really doesn't suit the current NBA, but he is an all star level talent who wanted to be in Toronto. That was something.

All they've done is at best give the team a slightly better chance to get smashed by gsw in the finals. Kawhi doesn't want to be there. He has injury concerns (and potentially attitude concerns) and will walk in a year.

If we've given away OG it goes from a bad deal to a disaster.

Reply #697113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Raptors blowing up the team, Leonard to be traded to contender at deadline for picks and young players. Lakers may step in to guarantee him signing.
People call KD a snake for leaving, what about Toronto getting rid of face of franchise, works both ways.

Reply #697114 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Part of an ESPN story:

Raptors president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri is taking a significant risk in pursuing the trade. Ujiri will make the deal with a determination that he can sell Leonard on re-signing with the Raptors next summer in free agency, sources said. Toronto would be able to offer Leonard a five-year, $190 million contract next summer. If Leonard left the Raptors, he could sign a four-year, $141 million deal with a team with the available salary-cap space.

Leonard has been clear that he plans to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers in free agency next summer.

Reply #697115 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The criticism of KD wasn't so much that he quit on OKC but that he jumped ship to the team who defeated him and pitched it as a great challenge. Also, I think it's spelled "snek"?

Reply #697116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woj:

Spurs have agree to trade Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl and a protected 2019 first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN. Trade call with league office is starting shortly.
Source: Toronto's first-round pick to San Antonio is protected 1-20. After one year, it becomes two second-round picks.

Poeltl averaged 19 MPG for 7 PPG and 5 RPG.

Marks:
Here is the contract breakdown for the main principles in the Toronto and San Antonio trade: Kawhi Leonard has two years left on his contract with a cap hit of $20.1M and $21.3M. The second year is a player option that Leonard is likely to opt-out of. Leonard has a 15% trade bonus of $3M that will be added to his 2018-19 salary. The Spurs will be responsible for paying the bonus but the $23.1M cap hit will count against the cap for the Raptors. Leonard is extension eligible 6 months after the trade for a contract of four years, $108. The Raptors will inherit his bird rights and can sign him to a five year, $189.6M (starting salary of $32.7M) contract in the summer of 2019 when he is a free agent. Signing with a team that has cap space would see Leonard receive a contract of four years, $140.6M. Because of the trade, Leonard is not super max eligible to receive a contract of $221M. In essence, the forward could lose $80M from this trade if he signs with a new team next summer. DeMar DeRozan is under contract through the 2020-21 season with a cap hit of $27.7M for each season. The guard has a player option for the 2020-21 season.

Reply #697118 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Going to be interesting to see how Kawhi approaches this year. Will he be fully committed or will he just go through the motions to get to LA?

Also there's no guarantee that the Lakers will pursue him next year. They may want to go after Klay?

Reply #697132 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm happy with this.

Kawhi wanted to leave, so nabbing a 4 time all star is a reasonable outcome.

Poetl has potential. Him, Murray, and Walker gives us 3 players who look like they could develop into quality players.

Spurs well and truly right in the mix for a home playoff series in the first round.

For Toronto, a risky trade. Obvious upside, but downside appears more likely.

Of course, still possible they move Kawhi elsewhere before the trade deadline.

Reply #697135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll be surprised if Kawhi plays even a single second for the Raptors.

Reply #697138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Toronto are planning a trade with the lakers.
If Toronto traded Kawhi for Ingram and ball or kuz and ball it would work out nicely.

Reply #697140 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

While I'm dissapointed to lose Poetl (I was hoping we could move JV and have Potel as starting C) I'm glad we didn't lose OG or Siakam, or even Wright.

If the Raptors go into the season with more or less who is on board now, they'll have something different to what they've ever had before - multiple wings who can shoot the long ball and play D. Kawhi, Green, OG. We've finally got a team that has multiple options to defend LeBron...now that it is no longer really a factor.

I still think this ends up in Leonard walking in 12 months, but it could be an interesting season.

Reply #697155 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Man you rarely see the Spurs make a bad call. RC Buford and Pop are wizards.

Even when you think they have their backs against the wall, they come out OK (Lamarcus Aldridge; Kawhi trade; the Kawhi pick/trade; keeping the big 3 as long as they did etc). Mistakes are always going to be made; but I think they've clearly made the most right calls out of any team over the past 20 years.

Reply #697165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeRozan shouldn't be shocked at being moved. That non-appearance in one of the games vs. Cavs in the finals was shocking. At that very moment Raptors would've been thinking "dafuq? seeya later!"

Reply #697173 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Love this for the Spurs as you you just added an All NBA level player to a 47 win team! in which Kwahi never played for and Green was very avg.

Poeltl will be a solid NBA rotation player but he helps make the money work.

Raptors taking a risk but they probably wanted off Derozens money anyway so worse case Kwahi walks and they still have a young core with cap space ready to reboot quickly with the right trades/picks.

Lakers shouldn't be so arrogant to think Kwahi will come Ballmer & West know how to make a deal.

Also gotta love the "oh you want LA, enoy the coldest place in the NBA Toronto!" and he just lost about $1mil from his pay in extra taxes a year!

Reply #697194 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kawhi played 9 games - I don't think the spurs are a 47 win team without kawhi.

Roster at the moment with DeMar is probably a 42-48 win team

Reply #697203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality, Kawhi gets an extra $3M because of his trade kicker so probably hasn't lost after tax? But yeah, suck it in the Toronto winter, you princess.

My hope as a Spurs fan would be that Engelland magic turns DeRozan into a marksman. If he can go from ~30% on a reasonable volume from 3 to 35-38%, he goes from an All-Star to a top 10 player and this looks much better for the Spurs. I don't like Poeltl, I think he is a regular season player in the modern NBA and will be virtually unplayable in the Western Conference playoffs. The Spurs have had moderate success with guys like him but I have more hope of them helping DeRozan make the leap from good to great than I do that they turn Poeltl into a high level starter.

If I were the Lakers and Kawhi does anything less than play at his best this season, I wouldn't be pursuing him in free agency. There are so many guys available next year who don't have the baggage that Kawhi now carries, so why bother with the drama?

Reply #697205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeRozan seems the humble type who suits the Spurs system.

Lakers can "wait and see" on Kawhi as mentioned above. Could be lose-lose for Kawhi whereas the Spurs will be okay...

Reply #697208 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Toronto in winter does suck. I've done 1 winter in nearby Ottawa and that was enough for me to know I never want to do that again. I think Kawhi will be the same.

Reply #697213 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@KET - The spurs won 47 games last season without Kwahi...surely adding another all NBA level talent would at worse have them be around the same mark or slightly better at over 50 wins.

Reply #697214 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Its a win-win for both teams IMO...

Spurs get an all-star in DeRozan whilst at 27 now is in his peak years he could still improve under Pop.

Toronto get a rental in Kawhi and if he signs on (unlikely) then great, if he doesn't then you got options. You can use the cap space your saving to bring in another star, or you can trade Lowry and commence rebuild.

Toronto were not going anywhere with DeRozan (even with LeBron leaving the East), Boston & Philly are looking to be the two teams to beat in the East next season, and dont sleep on the Bucks, I think the Lopez deal is going to make them a tough team to beat this season too.

Reply #697223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone will sleep on the Bucks until they get their coaching in order. Giannis is a beast but that's not worth much if the team has no direction.

But I agree that this is functionally a no-risk move for Toronto. Ujiri is massively underrated and this is pretty much his version of Morey's play for Harden (not saying it will work out that well, just that it's his calculated swing for the fences after building a good-not-great squad). The Raptors go from a really good regular season team with no clear path to the conference finals to a potential finals team, if Kawhi plays at his best. If he doesn't, they have the excuse to start the tear down that they couldn't quite justify when they were winning 60 games.

Reply #697306 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A bit of Kawhi Leonard news.

1. Like LeBron did Kawhi has now decided to skip the USA Basketball mini-camp this week under new Team USA coach Gregg Popovich.

2. Kawhi has passed his physical in Toronto making the trade official.

3. Jordan Brand are going to let Kawhi leave his shoe deal after he declined a 4 year $22M extension earlier this year.

Reply #698089 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

With Pop as coach it has to be highly unlikely he will play for team USA.

Reply #698092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great interview if you're a Spurs fan: http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/24184139/demar-derozan-dishes-trade-toronto-raptors-san-antonio-spurs-nba

I still think they lack a starting SF and without addressing that are in trouble in the West. But good to hear him talk about what's motivated him at different points in his career and optimistic that he'll buy into the Spurs system as wholeheartedly as he did to repping Toronto.

Reply #698103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@KET - The spurs won 47 games last season without Kwahi...surely adding another all NBA level talent would at worse have them be around the same mark or slightly better at over 50 wins.
They've lost Green as well, though on the whole, you might think DeRozan tops Green and absent Kawhi.

I know the Spurs have Murray and White coming through, but is Gay enough at SF? Their ESPN depth chart has Belinelli at SF and Gay at PF?

Reply #698110 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Reality - my post was "remember kawhi played 9 games in the 47 win team" and your reply is "remember kawhi played no games in the 47 win team".

Reply #698113 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754