Aussie
Years ago

New NBL Television deal, any news?

Anyone know what is happening here?

All games on Foxtel again?

Are any free to air networks interested?

No Television coverage at all?

Topic #43641 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No matter what happens with free to air all games will be on Fox. That is the baseline.

Reply #697431 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

What makes you so confident?

Reply #697434 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I don't mean that in a rude way either.

The NBL were paying for production costs for each game televised on Fox (that is certainly not a cheap exercise).

Sure, ratings are up but are they up enough for Fox to consider paying for them?

Reply #697437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they signed a five year deal with Fox? This season will be the fourth.

That's my understanding.

Reply #697439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the NBL are heading into year 4 of their 5 year deal with Fox, so it's staying with Fox no matter what

Reply #697440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beaten

Reply #697441 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I thought the 5 year deal was up? Hence why the NBL was looking for a new television deal.

I'm not saying you are wrong but does anyone have a link?

Reply #697443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The five year deal started in 2015-16.

So:

2015-16
2016-17
2017-18
------- now
2018-19
2019-20

Reply #697446 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL are looking for a FTA deal to compliment the Fox deal.

Reply #697453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly.

Reply #697461 | Report this post

Channel 7  
Years ago

The Fox deal is good quality and enjoyable

Reply #697463 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The television deal is regarding free-to-air and how NBL has only been signing one year deals recently with SBS and ABC, this is a chance to have a far more extensive agreement with hopefully more $ into NBL coffers.

Intrigued on how these discussions are going.

Reply #697476 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Fox have been advertising for the 18/19 season so they've got every game this year.

I wonder how many games the NBL are allowed to put on FTA and live? Is it 2 with 1 delayed like last year? Is it 2 live and any amount delayed? Is it more than 2 live up to X? Do they have even more control?

If the NBL can manage 2-3 live on a main FTA channel including one 7:30pmer a week that would be huge for the NBL.

Reply #697713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the NBL can have as many games as it likes on FTA. Just a matter of how many the network they agree with wants to show. Would love to see a deal where there are more home-town games shown somehow.

Reply #697714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said above originally the Fox deal still has two years left on it.

But NBL own the rights not Fox so they can arrange for every game wherever they want.

Reply #697735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

broadcast wherever they want.*

Reply #697736 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I thought this may be the case. I think we will hear more about a deal far closer to the season, broadcast wise.

No real reason for the NBL or networks to be in a rush, and it seems every day NBL somehow has more leverage whether it be more Aussies getting in the news everyday, the fallout from other sports rights, or the increasing content NBL holds onto such as NBLxNBA and Boomers v Team USA.

The one good thing, is LK has a good track record. Whether it be bringing in the Bullets, a naming rights sponsor, selling a stake in Melbourne (at the $10mil value he claimed). He doesn't seem to be BSing us, and even if he has been, the bluffs have been working.

Reply #697745 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Isn't this why Andrew Demetriou is now involved with the NBL?

If his tenure doesn't involve a better TV deal then is it worthwhile he's there?

Reply #697750 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

There is no tenure. Demetriou is basically just a consultant.

Reply #697777 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I know the NBL themselves were hyping up an imminent TV deal earlier in the offseason and maybe things fell through then but if they have a deal lined up it would be pointless to announce it now with the footy codes gearing up to their finals. Better to wait until the eve of the season to generate interest.

Reply #697778 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Everyone needs to remember that the deal with Fox was to be reviewed at the end of each season (by Foxtel).

So whilst the contract hasn't expired, it can be altered at anytime.

So whilst Fox are advertising for next season, whether that means every game telecast or only a couple of games per week, who knows.

Hopefully we find out soon.

Reply #697780 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@Aussie, what gives you the impression that Foxtel could commit less to the NBL after upping with WNBL (atleast I think they are showing more). I'd imagine that they'd want to stay in bed with LK for as long as he sticks around for and it makes business sense to do that with the quality and added quantity coming in next season.

Reply #697784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox love it, filler content with production paid for.

Reply #697785 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Everyone needs to remember that the deal with Fox was to be reviewed at the end of each season (by Foxtel).
Why does everyone need to remember things that aren't true?

Reply #697789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Five year deal" mentioned by me twice above obviously wasn't 'needed to be remembered' by Aussie.

Reply #697790 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Isn't 'Aussie' the poster that always mentions when Foxtel are doing free trials or whatever?

As if Foxtel are going to 'review' free filler content for them.

Reply #697798 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I think you are all missing the point.

LK is at a stage where he does not want to pay for production costs.

So it is no longer a "Free filler" content.

Someone show me a link where Fox Sports have committed to "paying" for television rights for next season

Reply #697803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a five year deal. FIVE years. JFC...

Reply #697806 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

LK is at a stage where he does not want to pay for production costs.
[citation needed]

So it is no longer a "Free filler" content.
[citation needed]

Someone show me a link where Fox Sports have committed to "paying" for television rights for next season
They haven't. They were never going to. Because there was a five-year deal.

Reply #697814 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The NBL schedule is set to be released Wednesday, and I dare say it will be done knowing and having at least privately confirmed a TV deal, because as we all know, the games are scheduled to meet the openings on TV.

Reply #697817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: NBL rights with Boomers-Team USA

Chelsea-Perth Glory friendly is live nationwide on SBS HD at the moment.

Which reminded me of when Ten aired Sydney FC-LA Galaxy when David Beckham was with them.

But these one offs were always packaged separately and never tied in with an entire league season as LK is trying to do.

Reply #697829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: NBL rights with Boomers-Team USA

Chelsea-Perth Glory friendly is live nationwide on SBS HD at the moment.

Which reminded me of when Ten aired Sydney FC-LA Galaxy when David Beckham was with them.

But these one offs were always packaged separately and never tied in with an entire league season as LK is trying to do.

Kind sir, this is the best boomers team ever vs the best team in the world x2 games. Not washed up Beckham. These games will attract more interest then both those games combined

Reply #697830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope so and agree but the world game is bigger than basketball in this country.

Reply #697831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chinese whispers.
From a review at the end of the 2015 /2016 to a yearly review according to Aussie. Google is handy Aussie

This from the Foxtel website.
"NBL: National Basketball League and FOX SPORTS enter landmark deal
News posted 02:50pm on Thu Sep 3, 2015
The National Basketball League and FOX SPORTS today announced a five-year partnership to broadcast all games of the NBL live in High Definition; to be reviewed at the end of the 2015/16 season."

Reply #697859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it was reviewed at the end of hte 2015-16 season. Today is 24 July 2018. Connect the dots.

Reply #697874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Fox Sports are already advertising NBL for 2018-19 according to someone above so this whole argument is even more stupid by Aussie.

Reply #697875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why a guy from AFL Media has the scoop but apparently the NBL is going back to channel 9. https://twitter.com/mattthompson/status/1021719670229856256?s=21

Reply #697966 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754