Aussie
Years ago

New NBL Free to air deal close

The makeup of the NBL's new free-to-air TV deal will revealed in a couple of weeks, according to NBL CEO Jeremy Loeliger.

With Andrew Bogut signing with the Sydney Kings this year, the league is set to return to commercial free to air TV after being screen on SBS during the 2017-18 season.

Speaking on Afternoons, Loeliger said there were numerous components of the TV deal which are close to being finalised ahead of the season tipping off on October 11.

"We’re all still waiting to see how digital fits into the complication market that is the media environment these days," he said.

“I think the most likely outcome is we’ll screen our games on a secondary FTA channel but on a good time of day and on a good day of the week.

“We’re still talking to a few commercial networks and after speaking to three of them, we’ve narrowed it down to two"

Topic #43665 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Since I don't have Foxtel any longer I am keen to know the deal...

Reply #698132 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm guessing it isn't going as well as hoped (that doesn't necessarily mean bad) as you'd generally want to have your TV deal in place before the schedule is announced.

I'd say they've now resigned themselves to the "secondary channel" option where as they may have initially been pushing for primary channel coverage.

For the record I don't see anything wrong with those secondary channels. How many people don't have/watch them these days?

Reply #698135 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

The reality is that NBL rates very poorly in Australia.No ratings means no commerciality.

Bogut isn't a big enough draw card to change that IMO. Channel Ten got burnt twice before by BA so cant see them being interested.

Channel 9 merging with Fairfax throws an interesting dynamic into the mix.

Reply #698139 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Channen 9 buying Fairfax changes things how exactly?

Reply #698141 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Channel 10 got burnt by BA? I thought it was the other way around.

Reply #698145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A live game on a Sunday on a secondary channel with all games on Foxtel isn't the worst thing in the world.

I would like to see some sort of a "discussion" or panel-style show about the NBL this year. Get people are more interested in the stories and characters surrounding the games, and they might be more interested in watching the games themselves.

Reply #698148 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Out of sight is out of mind and the Australian sporting audience is a little dumbed down when it comes to basketball.

Compared to some sports, well most other sports the media moguls of Australia love, somehow basketball usually gets very little air play.

Yet, in basketball we currently have the most NBA players we have ever had, including possibly an all-star, we have the most dominant female WNBA player seen in quite some time, our juniors continue to do well on a world stage, one of our legends is coming home to play here, we have amazing talent at US colleges, in Europe and domestically the NBL is displaying exciting games with the potential to expand the league.

If we were talking about soccer, football, cricket or some such sports people would be all over it, but the ones who control what we watch just don't seem to want to push it.

I love many sports, but what annoys me most about our sports media is that we don't give our juniors the coverage they deserve, those on a world stage especially... Unless you are a YouTuber that is!

Reply #698151 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Ya, me :)

Reply #698152 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

bugger

Reply #698153 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with being on a secondary channel as game times on weekends generally haven't been a time of high receivership anyway.

Sunday afternoon games are great for the gate but poor in terms of eye balls on screens (particularly in summer!), so hopefully they can get the Friday night games as the main FTA push for additional ratings, that said many of the Friday night games are poor drawing fixtures (NZ, Cairns, Hawks)

Reply #698156 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm assuming it's Nine as it's likely they and Fairfax were talking of merging around the time the NBL were set to announce the TV deal and now on the morning it's announced the merger is going through the NBL bobs up to say a TV deal is imminent.

Reply #698163 | Report this post

KB  
Years ago

BA made promises to Channel 10 like Brisbane back etc. That didn't happen under BA but under LK.

Channel 9 and Fairfax are merging, one is not buying the other. This creates a new dynamic media player in the market place that can cover print, digital and TV.

Reply #698164 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

You say potato....I say buying

"This is a Nine takeover of Fairfax folks, it ain't a merger," tweeted Katherine Murphy, political editor of the Guardian Australia.

Reply #698172 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think you're going to get better than one game on a secondary channel a week. I wouldn't be surprised if you got one game at a decent time on a major channel, two on one of the secondary channels, an hour highlights on ABC, and all games on Foxtel.

Reply #698173 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The issue as alluded to by Loeliger is no doubt the digital rights. Nine/Fairfax would want/expect the rights to that but I'm sure the league wants to hold onto NBL TV. As an NBL TV subscriber during the season I hope so too.

Reply #698176 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Channel 9 and Fairfax are merging, one is not buying the other."

I hear it's going to be called Nine, which tells what kind of merger it will be.

Reply #698180 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

God I hope NBL TV is untouched....despite my intentions to watch games on TV, I foudn myself watching more games on NBL TV and games of the other teams on replay on demand after the kids have gone to sleep.

Reply #698192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns has 5 Fridays total out of 28 games fool!

Reply #698194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Channel 9 merging with Fairfax throws an interesting dynamic into the mix." Still trying to understand what this is meant to mean?
The talk the NBL have had would be well and truly over now and Fairfax has what TV stations that will be affected with the buy out?

Reply #698242 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754