Isaac
Years ago

Taipans announce import point guard Melo Trimble

Melo Trimble signed.

The CQUniversity Cairns Taipans have acquired the slick services of MELO TRIMBLE, signing the young American guard as the 10th player on their 2018-19 roster.

Trimble joins the Taipans following an impressive campaign in the G-League, and was recently scouted by Head Coach Mike Kelly at the 2018 NBA Summer League.

"I went over there with a blueprint of the type of player that I liked, and Melo was one that I definitely wanted to look at. I followed him during his college career and he just had a great year in the G-League," explained Kelly.

“I also really liked what I saw when I watched him play in Vegas, and I knew we were up against other teams to get him. But, we got to meet him and his agent and I'm really happy this has become a reality for our club.”

Trimble was signed by the Minnesota Timberwolves last year, before he became an affiliate player for their G-League side, the Iowa Wolves. In the 2017-18 season, he played 48 games and averaged 16.1 points, 5.4 assists and 3.5 rebounds.
Full announcement

Topic #43735 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Nice pick up

Reply #700075 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Great pick up by the Taipans. He is a very similar player to Scotty Wilbekin from a couple of years ago and I expect him to perform at a similar level.

Reply #700078 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sounds promising. Nice stats for a PG.

Reply #700081 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sounds like a good fit for Cairns.

Reply #700083 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Great signing. Just need an import 3 and they will have a reasonably competitive squad (if Jawai can stay healthy)

*Trimble / Kenny
*Newbill / Kernich-Drew
*Import / Kuany
Walker / Loughton / Young
Jawai / Loe

Reply #700087 | Report this post

Interested to see how DKD goes this year with actual playing minutes!

Reply #700089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good numbers in the d league, average on defense though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/01/melo-trimble-is-discovering-that-life-in-the-nba-after-maryland-wont-be-easy/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.20d442fe7178

Reply #700091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carmelo, Melo - what is it with all of these Caramelo Koalas?

Reply #700095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carrick Felix would round out this squad quite nicely!

Reply #700099 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Better than a 34 year old 2Hard2Guard and i imagine didnt cost the earth if Cairns can afford him

Reply #700104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mind connected Melo Trimble with Fab Melo, which seemed like an odd signing until I googled...

Reply #700107 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Am I the only one slightly unenthused by the line ups on paper of all teams not named Sydney? This guy is a good pick up but feel like everyone else has slipped.

Reply #700120 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

As a Celtics fan, I can assure you Fab Melo was far from Fab.

Reply #700121 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

As a comparison, Scoochie Smith is 14.5ppg, 54.5% FG%, 52.3 3P%, 4.25 RPG, 8.12 APG and 1.62 SPG in the G League.

Not suggesting Scoochie is a better player but based on those stats one may prefer Scoochie over Melo, and we all know how Scoochie went.

Reply #700125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel almost every import who has played under Fearne's systen at Cairn's has never done very well. Might be a change now that he's gone.

Reply #700127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The damage with Scoochie was done early in the season IMO. Much better player than he was given a chance to show, but when he was reduced to spot minutes off the bench it just exaggerated his aggressiveness which was more often than not a negative.

I'm a Fearne fan overall but no question he was a bit too rigid/restrictive with his gameplan, especially re: his imports. Should make a great college coach though.

Reply #700129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilbekin did well. Apart from that others seeemed stifled.

Reply #700132 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

He looks sccomplished and is pick and roll machine.

Reply #700149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Torrey Craig went on to dominate with Brisbane after he left Cairns.

Reply #700150 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

if the imports fail cairns are stuffed!

The local talent would be great in the QBL or SEABL

Reply #700151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne deserves some credit for what Craig became with his tough love, but doesn't work out well at the pro level where guys can just leave for greener pastures. That's why I think he'll be a great college coach - got 4 years to develop the kids, and tough love in seasons 1-2 will lead to some good results in years 3-4.

Reply #700164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also helps taht earne already has one-third of an American accent.

Reply #700170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also helps that Fearne already has one-third of an American accent.

Reply #700171 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

lowkey could be the signing of the season

Reply #700191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was very good for Maryland in college

Reply #700220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Wilbekin is an interesting comparison because Wilbekin was the more accomplished college player but Trimble was generally higher on NBA radars throughout his college career.

I like the signing, I think it's about the mark NBL teams should be looking for imports. Old enough to contribute at their pay grade but young enough that they can go on to the NBA and enhance the NBL's reputation as a breeding ground for talent.

Reply #700226 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Fearne is an idiot. Anyone who puts Torrey Craig behind Stephen Weigh should have a lifetime ban from coaching basketball. I actually never knew how good Torrey was until he went to Brisbane because the minutes Fearne gave him wouldn't allow anyone to see his skill. But you would have thought after years of having him in training with him that Fearne must have seen Torrey was more useful than Weigh, but still that bright spark never quite clicked in his brain. To Fearne's ugly play style and shitty teams, I say good riddance!

Reply #700249 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Fearne is an idiot. Anyone who puts Torrey Craig behind Stephen Weigh should have a lifetime ban from coaching basketball."

Cairns made the grand final that year.

Reply #700267 | Report this post

LeBronto  
Years ago

And then got swept. Maybe they would have won if Fearne actually used Craig? Yeah, sorry there's no excusing that move.

Reply #700268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne played Trice off the bench at the end of that season too, then Trice had a fantastic year with Brisbane. Still better than Lemanis. :P

Reply #700273 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Can only laugh LeBronto, takes a small budget team to the minor premiership, sweeps Perth and gets beaten on a buzzer beater in G2 of the GF. Hard to fault anything Fearne did that year, including developing a very inconsistent and unreliable rookie name Torrey Craig.

Reply #700276 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Craig was signed in large part because of his defensive stopping ability, yet Fearne kept him on the bench in late-game situations where getting a stop was number 1 priority

Reply #700296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea where you got that one from Manu - Torrey was signed for his all round game and defence got better under Fearne and playing with Wilbekin. If he had stayed another year with Cairns and had full minutes would it be different ? Yes I think he would have had a similar season being top pick.

Let's be honest and say he was a diamond on a pretty shit bullets team. Same with Trice as Lemanis sets plays for his players strengths and not Fearne’s open opportunity offence which sucks when not everyone is a gun scorer. Last year with glizzo and McCarron getting bulk minutes the team tanked- if your getting a lot of minutes omyou need to oroduce and fact is both under performed for the time on court and the rest of the team suffered - if fearne actually ran an offence that set these 2 up consistently it could have been different. New coach new mantra and definitely a new offensive mindset with players that can light it up or support the runs with rebounds and hard cuts.

Remember Fearne took 2 rookie imports with half decent locals and made the GF that year. A Hail Mary last second shot cost them game 2 and a few missed easy layups before - to bag Fearne over that is petty and quite dumb. Analyse him on his inability to adapt to a faster game and play to his players strengths and favour players etc yes go for it but he is a better record then many much more celebrated coaches.

Reply #700471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import 3 needs to be a stud because Kuany won't be much help off the bench. Announcement from the Taipans tomorrow at 9am, could this be our final import?

Reply #700519 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754