Isaac
Years ago

36ers-Creek injunction lifted

Australian Basketballers Association (ABA) has welcomed an agreement between Mitch Creek and the Adelaide 36ers, which will allow him to pursue a contract in the NBA.

The ABA, representing basketball player Mitch Creek, and the Adelaide 36ers Basketball Club have resolved the impasse over an interim injunction obtained by the 36ers through the Supreme Court of South Australia earlier this week.

The injunction established by the 36ers prevented Creek from signing with another team until Monday next week, which could have jeopardised Creek's proposed move to the Brooklyn Nets.

Through negotiations conducted between the ABA, Creek’s representatives, and the Adelaide 36ers, an agreement with the Adelaide club has now been reached and the injunction lifted.
Following the resolution, ABA CEO, Jacob Holmes, expressed concern and disappointment over the actions of the 36ers.

"We had significant concerns around the implications this unacceptable behaviour could have had on Mitch’s pursuit of a professional contract in the world’s biggest basketball league.

“The Board of the ABA are absolutely united in the best interests of our player members on all occasions. We are very pleased that we were able to address this matter, expedite negotiations and resolve it as quickly as possible, providing Mitch with the opportunity to pursue his dreams and a potential contract overseas.

“What was of particular concern was that Mitch was not advised by Adelaide prior to the application of the injunction." said Mr Holmes. “Like any professional player, Mitch deserves the opportunity and respect to secure a contract without impediment.”
Statement from ABA

I understand there was pressure from BA as well as the ABA to get it sorted out.

The 36ers tweeted, I think their first statement on Twitter regarding Creek heading to Brooklyn? Bit sad after the years of service.
We are pleased to advise that terms for Mitch Creek’s release to the Brooklyn Nets, have now been agreed upon.

We wish Mitch all the best, in his NBA journey.
Statement:
The Adelaide 36ers are pleased to advise that terms for Mitch Creek’s release to the Brooklyn Nets have now been agreed.

The club has loved being a part of Mitch’s journey over the last eight years and is thrilled to have played a role in the opportunity Mitch has worked so hard for and thoroughly deserves.

On behalf of the entire Adelaide 36ers Family, we wish Mitch every success in the NBA and look forward to watching his progress.
Statement source

Topic #43743 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

""What was of particular concern was that Mitch was not advised by Adelaide prior to the application of the injunction." said Mr Holmes."

If that is true, then that is unbelievably bad from the 36ers. Sounds like they didn't put much effort into trying to resolve it by private agreement first.

Reply #700320 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A very poor decision by the Sixers that will have significant ramifications in the future.

Reply #700325 | Report this post

Greenie  
Years ago

Wow 36ers communication was lacking, who would've thought

Reply #700337 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The damage has been done unfortunately. Player agents will be avoiding the 36ers like the plague.

Reply #700340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"private agreement first"

You wanted Mitch to pay the $100,000 out of his $30,000 contract?

Reply #700345 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Is this greed or 'due diligence'?

I don't know enough about this so I've stayed clear of commenting.

Reply #700346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow 36ers communication was lacking, who would've thought

Funny that. I've been trying for about five years if not more now to subscribe to their e-news emails but the form doesn't work! (I'm not a member so this is the general email all other clubs let anyone subscribe to.) Note I have e-news subscriptions to all other clubs and receive weekly updates.

Also I won a Sixers online tipping contest many years ago. They asked for winners to email them details for shipping of their prizes (it was a basketball). I emailed Paul Bonser (?) but never got a reply even after multiple attempts.

Completely useless administration there.

Reply #700355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think it really matters if its greed or due diligence, the damage is done.

Reply #700356 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is good news that Mitch is cleared.

Does anyone know if this means the Sixers got a payment?

Reply #700362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players will still want contracts as spots are limited in the NBL, a great club with good coaching and players. Ultimately they will want to get paid so in a month or so it wont be an issue and if so just structure the contract so you have a easy out.
Ultimately our roster is sewn up this season so no issues
Lets be honest who from the current squad is NBA calibre other than Wiley?

Reply #700370 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A good outcome for all parties involved but the negative stigma around this will linger for a while.

Reply #700379 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My guess is that the Sixers got no payment. They might've negotiated something in the event that he got a full contract or full contract above a certain amount, but I'd be surprised if they got anything for now besides a chance to drop it and claim a confidential settlement. Just a guess though.

It's possible that BA and ABA were able to convince whoever was driving it that they were making a potential damaging mistake.

Can't see how the baseline of this isn't anything but: Creek never plays as a 36er again, and Adelaide have to overpay to win a bidding war, or find diamonds in the rough for a couple of years. The 36ers are fairly reliant on interstate talent (DJ, Sobey, Drmic, Froling, McVeigh, etc) and they'll often be drawn home closer to family. Better to not give them any excuses.

Players will still want contracts as spots are limited in the NBL, a great club with good coaching and players
If they're adding two teams in coming years: it's a players' market. Of the "good players", they've just completely pissed off the best one and doubt it's impressed the rest. Then there's the coach!

Reply #700380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogwash you're assuming Adelaide got anything. I think they backed down due to the warranted backlash and that was that.

Reply #700382 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Many times I often went to training , but these people are not friendly and don't want fans at training etc.....
Those who live by the sword , die by the sword...

Reply #700383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Olgun's bit on Fox just now:

What's even more confusing about the 36ers’ actions is the fact that, according to both Basketball Australia and FIBA, Creek was considered a free agent. That, my friends, should give you all a hint as to what direction the negotiations went with regard to 'agreeing to terms’.

Reply #700391 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Definitely going to be a players market the next couple of seasons and no young talent that is of potential future NBA calibre will want to stick around or go there... What deals are their rookies on now? Guaranteed they are checking their fine print now, and how long is Joey signed for?

I just saw (when looking for the Kings stream) on DT website that there's a paywall article titled "We'd do it again"? FFS... take your licks and try to get everyone else over it, Sixers!

Reply #700401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1.) Failed to sign local Newley
2.) Failed to sign local Ingles - offered him a measly 20K DP spot/mispelt name then he debuts for Dragons in first game for 29pts and ROY... wp Sux0rs
3.) Failed to collect $400K from T Ferg drafting
4.) Now try to recoup what they lost in point 3 incorrectly. Got $0 potentially and a lot of bad press.
5.) Creek surely won't be back with them if he returns to NBL

No wonder their last title was in 2002.

Reply #700402 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

""What was of particular concern was that Mitch was not advised by Adelaide prior to the application of the injunction." said Somebody who doesn't know how an injunction works."

Reply #700404 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

What's even more confusing about the 36ers' actions is the fact that, according to both Basketball Australia and FIBA, Creek was considered a free agent. That, my friends, should give you all a hint as to what direction the negotiations went with regard to 'agreeing to terms’.

Why? That has surely been Creek's position all along, and the 6s obviously held a contrary view. If the law was on his side, the injunction would have been overturned easily. That he needed to negotiate a settlement would seem to indicate that the issue was least contestable.

Reply #700405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A settlement with nothing revealed can presumably sort things out more quickly?

Reply #700407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't know enough about this so I've stayed clear of commenting."

That's not how the internet works.

Reply #700460 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ok I'm missing something obviously but to me taking this matter to the Supreme Court of SA meant they need shit hot lawyers and they have extensive court costs FOR $100k.

If that is really true and they would earn say $60-80k after costs then that is absolutely absurd.

Now add on everything that everyone else has said and I think the key decision makers at the 36ers need to be drug tested because they are under the influence of something that is ripping apart the fabric of the club and you simply can't have that.

I'm hardly Creek's biggest fan but he has worked his arse off and deserves everything that he gets... but he didn't deserve that crap!

Reply #700461 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anonymous
A few hours ago

"I don't know enough about this so I've stayed clear of commenting."

That's not how the internet works.

Gold. Just gold.

Reply #700481 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

""private agreement first"

You wanted Mitch to pay the $100,000 out of his $30,000 contract?"

Well youve clearly miscontrued what Ive said.

I never said Mitch should have to do that.

I was making the point that the 36ers should have approached Mitch before filing the injunctiom to try and resolve it regardless of what any proposed private agreement would look like..they should have at least gone to him with something.

I cant fathom how bad some people are with misintrepeting comments on this forum.

Reply #700483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, couldn't agree more.

Interested to see if the Sixers gravitate to signing more locally produced players, either from within the nbl or from the fringes - seabl, state leagues etc.

But who would be a possibility?

Reply #700500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty easy to misintrepet when you spell this poorly.

"Misinterpret" for next time chief

Reply #700504 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's not the national spelling bee. If you can't interpret something because of a bit of bad spelling, I think it shows your lack of IQ more than it does mine.

Reply #700509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud I may be wrong but isn't the CEO owner a lawyer and involved in major shoping centres in Melbourne and worked for OS companies as well and winery owner and the list goes on. Has an extensive bio. May explain some things.

Reply #700510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all think you're very smart MACFLOG, don’t worry

Reply #700511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct owner has a law degree but isn't practicing it.

Reply #700529 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Well... he certainly didn't practice his legal skills or use his knowledge on this occasion.

Reply #700574 | Report this post

Maybe its me  
Years ago

I'm a 36ers fan from long ago.
Drop past here out of habit rather than anything else really.
I have never liked the new owners. Dean may not have had the $ to splash. But, it was a club.

Reply #700659 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I wonder how much the money was in the end, then I wonder how much you depreciate end of financial year for damage to goodwill.

17 to 20 year olds are not the smartest or experienced people on the planet. Therefore they listen more to rumours and ideologies more than a veteran player would. Does this whole thing slow us down in the future? Do we even get a chance when our letter of interest turns up.

It a pity really because all the stories show it is the little things that make the most impact. Mistake on spelling, visiting someone in hospital, been a previous AIS coach and offer another pathway. All have had a leading impact on why young players have chosen particular clubs.

Overall, the fans that have been with this club for the past 10 years look at Creek and think, your time, your opportunity, I am happy to sacrifice OUR team to let you go, you DESERVE it.
The Coach and all the players were definitely right behind him.

It is the owners responsibility to worry about the cash but you could have got that back in a number of ways.

GAME 1 - Buckets go around the crowd for donations. Big speech prior to the game, get the scoreboard showing that young unreliable creek who showed so much promise. Show the funny clips from the paper he has picked up along the way. Show the passion and brilliance he brought for the past 2 season. Show Adelaide game 5 NBA playoffs. Adelaide top of the ladder 2016/17. WE WONT EVER REPLACE MITCH, BUT WE NEED TO TRY.

We want a replace Mitch fund. Money raised today will offset the clubs missed opportunity to get a transfer fee (we don't want anything stopping a NBA club choosing Mitch over someone else). From the front rows who can afford to throw in $50's and $20's. Rear rows throw in $2's and $5's. In the end, we end up with more money than that wild adventure our clubs name went on one day in August.

Reply #700660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Top of the ladder but a choke in the playoffs, followed up by begging. The making of a legit club.

Reply #700668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL... OMG... WTF @ having-a-handout-at-a-game idea. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Time for you to tune out of here, FM.

Reply #700670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754