Isaac
Years ago

Olgun: 36ers messed up and they may pay for it for some time

In attempting to block Mitch Creek from signing for the Brooklyn Nets, the 36ers immersed themselves into one of the most bizarre self-inflicted public relations wounds in recent memory.

The more details that came out; the more confusing the decision-making from the 36ers' front office became.

The compensation they were demanding was significantly higher than the reported $100,000, and they went all the way to the Supreme Court of South Australia in an attempt to block their own long-time hero from potentially signing an NBA contract. What’s worse: they didn’t even tell him before filing the injunction.
Some notable bits:
"This is such a bad look," one NBA scout told foxsports.com.au. “What future NBA prospect will want to play there only to have their NBA dreams put in limbo because of greed?”
It seems absurd, but it has to be pointed out that the 36ers’ statement about agreeing to lift its injunction was the first public comment from the team regarding Creek’s deal with the Nets. Before that: silence.
What’s even more confusing about the 36ers’ actions is the fact that, according to both Basketball Australia and FIBA, Creek was considered a free agent.
“We had significant concerns around the implications this unacceptable behaviour could have had on Mitch’s pursuit of a professional contract in the world’s biggest basketball league,” Jacob Holmes, CEO of the Australian Basketballers Association, said in a statement.
Full story

Topic #43745 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are a joke lel

Reply #700392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What's even more confusing about the 36ers’ actions is the fact that, according to both Basketball Australia and FIBA, Creek was considered a free agent."

Haha basically what a lot of people had been thinking. I wonder what was going through their heads when they decided it was worth them pursuing. They made an absolutely meal out of this situation.

The NBA scout does a decent job of summing it up though:

"It’s the equivalent of a girl he casually dated in high school wanting a payday after he hits the lottery, claiming she was there for him in his formative years,"

Lol

Reply #700393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They may have made another mistake letting Sam McDaniel go to Melbourne

Reply #700431 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Gift it a rest, how many threads do we need on the same topic?

What all the armchair warriors fail to appreciate is that the 6s obviously believed he was contracted, and they had some basis for their claim. So who's more likely to be correct? The organisation holding the contract, or a bunch of clueless numpty's on the internet?

And I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to condemn them?
If they had a legitimate claim, why shouldn't Brooklyn pay what's appropriate?
Now, just like everyone else here, I don't know the details of Creek's contract, but if say he had a $100k buyout clause, why shouldn't it be enforced?

Not sure how you can all condemn them for being "amateurish, etc, without actually knowing the facts.

Anyway, agreement has been reached, he'll get his 5 seconds in the sun, can we please move the fuck on?

Reply #700438 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Only read headline. Crows syndrome. Why?

Reply #700439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What all the armchair warriors fail to appreciate is that the 6s obviously believed he was contracted, and they had some basis for their claim. So who's more likely to be correct? The organisation holding the contract, or a bunch of clueless numpty's on the internet?"

The article says FIBA and BA both confirmed he was a free agent, so therefore he was not contacted to Adelaide.

Reply #700440 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Can u be more specific non, my wheelchair doesnt roll that far? The club.. .or the numfys

Reply #700444 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Id assume the organization signing off on the contract. So.... afl?

Reply #700445 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Sorry ad. Im with u

Reply #700447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD you don't like it don’t comment scroll past the thread. The 36ers messed up big time and I am so angry at them as an organisation. Great timing screwing over a young loyal gun player and then bribing in another of joeys boys.

Reply #700448 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Who was gun anon. Did sixers lose someone over this creek thing

Reply #700449 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Go j dub. Thee of little faith

Reply #700450 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Pg run program is all we need. Doesnt need do anything else

Reply #700452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So after BA and FIBA confirm Creek is a free agent A Dazz suggests the Sixers were in the right. Another infamous post.

Reply #700454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone in this thread spell?

Reply #700456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Dazz telling people to move on yet commenting on this thread and abusing others.
Aren't you just an 'armchair warrior ' like the rest of us.

Clueless numpty.

Reply #700465 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Olgun is a joke, according to sources. 36ers messed up. Learn from the mistake and move on. Should be working overtime ti mend with Mitch though.

Reply #700467 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I wouldn't ever be considering returning to the club that potentially could have wrecked my best shot at my life dream, ever ever!

Reply #700474 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Creek will return to Adelaide... as an opposition player IMO.

Reply #700477 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Creek will return to Adelaide as they retire his #55 jersey.... now if only the Perth Wildcats would retire their own #55 jersey

Reply #700496 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

36ers behaved entirely appropriately. They are a business not a charity and clearly felt there was a binding contract with a player and they were entitled to compensation. Their goal is to win a premiership and not sponsor players for free into the nba. People need to accept this and recognise the reality of situations like this. It is not unusual and happens all over the world in every professional sport.

Reply #700671 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

No and players aren't charities either so Mitch owes Adelaide nothing moving forward.
Hopefully if he returns to the NBL he plays for Melbourne or Perth.

Reply #700672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their goal is to win a Championship, not a "premiership".

Reply #700696 | Report this post

Lincoln  
Years ago

FIBA rules dictate that Adelaide would have to have released Mitch Creek to play in Germany. His German club would then release him to play in America. The whole process was flawed and damaging to the game.

Reply #700701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Brooklyn Nets end up paying compensation to the 36ers? If that's the case then the Nets obviously thought they had a case.

Reply #700728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Brooklyn actually pay anything? Has that been confirmed? All I've seen is that he's now cleared.

Reply #700729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All information points to 36ers 100% in the wrong. Creek proven to be a free agent. 36ers just embarrassed themselves and alienated a bunch of people on an argument they were never going to win.

Reply #700732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An Agreeement was reached between the sixers, Mitch and his reps (agent). Didn't see any mention of the Nets

Reply #700733 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Didn't the Brooklyn Nets end up paying compensation to the 36ers? If that's the case then the Nets obviously thought they had a case.
From the article:
according to both Basketball Australia and FIBA, Creek was considered a free agent. That, my friends, should give you all a hint as to what direction the negotiations went with regard to 'agreeing to terms'.

Which is basically "I'm not allowed to say the Sixers got nothing, but the Sixers got nothing".

Reply #700734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely LK would be super pissed off with these Sixers clowns undoing the relationship he has built with the NBA>

Reply #700738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun is full of shit and as usual just trying to beat a story out of nothing.

Where is this magical statement from FIBA?
Or does it, like so many of the facts he reports, exist only in his imagination?

IF FIBA had determined that he was a Free Agent, then there would have been no need for a negotiation.

Reply #700798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Which is basically "I'm not allowed to say the Sixers got nothing, but the Sixers got nothing"."

Kobe, profoundly stating nothing as usual.

Clearly Adelaide got less than they asked for, that's how a negotiated settlement works. As as been suggested elsewhere, by people who have a clue, it is believed they will receive future compensation only if Creek proceeds to a full NBA contract.
Which actually sounds like a fair outcome.

Reply #700799 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I'm with Kobe, that's initially what I thought reading the 36ers' statement for the first time: they realized in hindsight that they'd cocked this up and were trying to save face.

Maybe future compensation in the event Creek does receive a full contract is the case, but the point is nothing is guaranteed, which is a far cry from the 100k they were initially after.

Reply #700802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with Kobe too, that's the way I interpreted it

Reply #700807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As as been suggested elsewhere, by people who have a clue
Which "people who have a clue" would they be?

Reply #700809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The foxsports journalist with no name nba scout haha tabloid womens mags stuff. Wonder how he felt writing that rubbish

Im reading if creek signs nba contract the club is entitled to a transfer fee. Cos he was in Germany there were maybe some complications and so club took injunction just to make sure all was good. Thats all, no big deal. Not sure where BA sit in all this, always been basketcase.

Poor club just suffered in media from times we live in.

All you who follow nbl club posting disdain for 36ers in theory should be on our side seeking entitlement. What would a contract be worth if player can out with no consequence for anyone? It be your player sooner or later. And not all of us can afford to knock back whats owed.

Yeah i understand all the crap about aussie nba players promoting game etc etc. May help have a reputable national league as well

Reply #700812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did you feel writing *that* rubbish?

Reply #700813 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

@anon nice effort on the propaganda

"maybe some complications and so club took injunction just to make sure all was good." The club took an injunction against the leagues best Australian, a kid who signed with the club from high school and you think its the club that is in the right.

The same club that took action against BA and was told repeatedly it had no case against Creek yet it still went to court over it.

Every 36er fan would support you if you were in the right , but every fan knew what the outcome would be before you lawyered up. There is a process that was followed by Creek and his team and not followed by the 36ers.

If the 36ers didn't want Creek to leave they could have

a) never given him an NBA or Euro out clause
b) paid what he asked to re-sign for years to come
c) supported him at this moment knowing there is a fair chance he won't make it so come mid NBL season he may want to comeback
d) when he opted out , put an offer to him to change his mind
e) thanked him publicly for talking Wiley into signing with the 36ers despite United offering him more money

There is plenty the 36ers could have done but they chose to go play in the mud.

Damage has been done, no sense in now trying to blame the fans as well.

Reply #700815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers or one new, working from the outside, no idea about the local community or sport owner?

Reply #700824 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

The Sixers turn all their contract issues over to a team of monkeys. Ask Joe Ingles.

Honestly, I've lost interest in this franchise having been a member for 25 or something years.

Reply #701314 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Its official. Creek signed. Show us the money.

@fyi - "club could have thanked him publicly for talking wiley into signing"...gee, u dont ask for much.

Wiley just knows sixers great club and great development, creek, and look what we did with Ferguson, made him. 2 nba players signed in 2 years. We dont need worry about getting best young talent going around.

Regards players its all about "me" sometimes

Reply #701700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 10 day contract?

Reply #701721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry it's a two-way. So G-League.

Reply #701722 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Guessing that means he has got a crack at least. Anyone got any info on any this or % chance for two-way. Or when time comes rely on olguns sources or his quotes from "advertiser".

Shooting hoops with JW today, hope come back to club if doesnt work out for him.

Good luck Mitch

Reply #701729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754