Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Grand Final Previews

The time has come for the most talked about local games of the season.

Let's start with the women.

North vs Forestville
Admittedly I do not follow this league too closely but I have kept an eye on the finals. North have had an incredible run to be undefeated at this stage, led by import Leah Metcalfe. They have plenty of other options with Sam DeFrancesco and Jo Hill among others providing solid and consistent scoring punch. Forestville gave North all they could handle a fortnight ago and the young squad will take plenty of confidence away from that. Sam Simons has shown poise beyond her years and Liv Thompson is a perennial all star in our league.

North to learn from their last game against Forestville to win by 12. I would be really interested in hearing from others who follow this more closely though.

OK on to the real deal, Southern vs Forestville.

The Starters
Southern: Staude, Johns, Brine, Turnage, Mays
Forestville: Doyle, Teys, Richard, Johnson, Phillips

Both starting groups will play the large majority of minutes. Some interesting matchups in this one with 36ers Doyle and Teys facing off against talented locals Johns and Brine. While the Tigers size could trouble Forestvilles backcourt, the Eagles have speed and veteran savvy on their side. Up front we have some interesting matchups with DJ vs Mays and Turnage. Phillips will battle admirably as he has all season however the Tigers imports will give him something to think about. DJ has been at another level through the finals series and he will be a tough matchup for the Tigers. Staude and Richard both provide steadying influences for their sides and a win in this matchup on either side will help their team win.

Key Bench Contributors
Southern: Burns, Ellison, Dodman, Ficken
Forestville: Harris, Deng, Morphett, Wright

You would have to give Southern the overall depth advantage with a few more guys contributing consistently. Harris, however, is the best 6th man the league has had this year and proved it against last week with an incredible 19 point last term. As good as DJ was, Harris was the real hero of the night. The Tigers will be looking for all their bench guys to pitch in to help cover for Harris' contribution.

My predictions:
- DJ to start strong but struggle a little more than we've seen with Tigers length. Scoring may be down but will still produce across the board.
- Tigers local guards to take it right up to the more heralded 36ers. Doyle is under done but will still be effective in this game.
- Tigers imports to provide the biggest highlights of the night.

Forestville by 3 in the game of the year. Tigers have had a fantastic 3 year run but will be remembered as under achieving with just 1 title. Andy will be remembered as the mastermind behind assembling the best team we've seen in at least a decade.

As everyone else does I have an opinion of the DJ situation. There are plenty of threads already for that. Let's keep this one to discussion on how the game is going to play out or comments during the game itself.

I hope the crowd will be even larger than last year!

Topic #43766 | Report this topic

@  
Years ago

Fville to win both women by under 5 and men by 10+

Reply #701080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North very easily over the women.

Fantastic writeup for the men. Really excited for it.

Reply #701082 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

crowd will be down.... forestville supporters not as crazy as the mob from noarlunga.

Reply #701109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 36ers playing and Southern still represented... I think it'll be 2500+

Reply #701117 | Report this post

Family Friend  
Years ago

Reports Johns is underdone from a long week doing renos on his club bought home in hackham.
Expect a very inefficiant 10 points 4/16 shooting from your captain Teys and atleast over 6.5 fist pumps per half from coach Nyberg.
Rumor has it Andy has had a fresh off the boat pair of exclusive "within the by-laws" Edition Yeezys for the big dance.

Southern by 8 stealing it in the 4th.

Reply #701118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mays Vs Johnson looks to be the key. Hopefully the refs let them play and don't call many sixers calls. Cant see any real matchup for Turnage unless they try Teys on him or even go zone to try and test Southerns shooters.

Reply #701122 | Report this post

LeBronto  
Years ago

is this going to be streamed somewhere?

Reply #701124 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great write up, but could have done without the line "now the real deal" sorry but it's 2018.

North to win womens by 10.

Forestville to win mens by 15.

Reply #701132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies if that offends anyone but as stated I haven't followed the women closely at all and the vast majority of discussion here has been about the men’s, as have my preview/recaps.

Reply #701142 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Good write up for the men.

I thought the write up was missing a reference to Southern stealing something (the game, the cup, the "premiership" the title.......don't hate, I'm a Hackham lad born and raised and still have my Under 12 Noarlunga City Tigers playing singlet!) or "Forestville's desire to win at any cost"

Hopefully both games are entertaining with an exciting and close finish in both.

Reply #701146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't apologise. Men is the premier comp anyway.

Also re: club-bought home... hmmmm tell us more! Juicy.

Reply #701154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why Olivia Thompson isn't contracted to a wnbl team as yet

Reply #701156 | Report this post

Laker824  
Years ago

Predicting a Forestville Double

Womens- North have gotten lucky a number of times after digging big holes, if they don't start well this is Forestvilles game!

Mens- Southern are a great regular season team but just worry me with winning when it matters. They have superior bench depth but who will be able to guard DJ with the refs protecting him? Only way I can see Southern winning if they shoot over 40% from 3.

Reply #701159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you think about score and style of the game? Should be 170+ and offense contest or should be more defense game?

Reply #701198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harris best 6th. man.....interesting

Reply #701200 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The best team will win is my prediction.

Reply #701204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the best team?

Reply #701210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the best team win it last year? Nope.

Reply #701238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North were the best teamlast year but Oldham was the best player.

Reply #701239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North should win the womens but just imagine if they lost after going undefeated all year. So much pressure on them with failed attempts in the pass.

Reply #701294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh the mind games begin.

Reply #701299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle v Johns
teys v brine
Dodman/Mays/Turnage v Johnson

The rest will take care of itself.

My prediction is which ever team wins 2/3 of those match will win the game.

It will be good considering the 6ers lost the grand final last season to get another crack at it.

Reply #701302 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

DJ had an average game last Premier League Grand finals (against Tigers). I think he will have another average game and Tigers win as a result. Tigers by 8

Reply #701303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last GF Tigers had Creek and Starling. Are Turnage and Mays able to bother him to the same extent?

Reply #701304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville to win women by 2 in triple ot

Southern to win men by 20

Reply #701310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Women have so much pressure.
Eagles by 8

Reply #701326 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Eagles Ladies by 6
Eagles men by 15
Keyboard warrior victims 0

Reply #701339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North to win their 21st straight game and beat the Eagles for the fourth time. Brenton lets Sam shoot 30 times and North use all those offensive boards to blow them out.

Reply #701349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tigers are, unfortunately, not the reason Hackam makes the news...

Reply #701355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true.
If only Monica could get her to run the other way as well. A bit hard 4 eagles having to defend 5 all of the time. Never seen a player sprint so hard one way and jog the other way, pointing to her team mates to pick her player up.

Reply #701359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly think Monica will be teaching anyone anything, but I'd have thought she’d have picked up some tips during her time at the COE

Reply #701361 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Lots of pressure on the Rockettes to bring it home in a perfect season to see off Jo.

Reply #701403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And all that pressure on Rockets. Absorbed it with 3 to go then put the foot on the throat and walked to an 18 point victory. Congratulations Jo Hill and the Rockets

Reply #701417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And all that pressure on Rockets. Absorbed it with 3 to go then put the foot on the throat and walked to an 18 point victory. Congratulations Jo Hill and the Rockets

Reply #701418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only Mons could coach a fourth quarter

Reply #701419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't bag a coach that just coached a grand final

Reply #701425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And was just massively outscored in a fourth quarter in a game they should have won against the same team two weeks later

Reply #701426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deano should finally get some credit. A master class. Well done southern. 62 points for fville, unbelievable

Reply #701428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eat it cheats

Reply #701430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles 0 - 2! Karma bus

Reply #701431 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Should have signed Sobey as well

Reply #701438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ was underdone. Lacking match time!

Andy should be sacked. Outcoached and lost with an unbeatable squad.

Reply #701440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how quiet the forestville people are who have defended everything for 4 weeks. OMG what a red letter day

Reply #701441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw Deng on Forestville's bench - can the Eagles work their magic and use this as a game for qualification for next season? Maybe get a medical exemption from his stint at NBA camps?

Heard Sobey, McVeigh and Drmic were in the building too, let’s hope the Sixers doctor can pre-arrange some medical certificates for them in the NBL offseason to ensure Forestville get the help they need!

Teys looked out of place tonight. Not worth an NBL contract and it really sucks to see more talented and younger SA prospects overlooked to re-up this clown. Sure he won the scoring title but most players would when you play 35+ minutes and shoot it 20+ times, particularly against the bottom five. Would love to see a breakdown of his stats of finals teams vs non-finals teams. Bum.

Reply #701442 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

teys was ass tonight. Very poor shot selection and just didn't seem to get any space.

Dj was solid but wasn't confident in his midrange

Doyle was great. No turnovers in 38 minutes while pushing the tempo and scoring at a decent rate.

Brine's corner dagger 3 was ultimately what break it open at the end of the game. Brine played a pretty good game overall

Reply #701443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's you boys that keep crying about it, not us. Let it die already.

Reply #701444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remember Sixers fans from the other 9 teams, boo DJ when he plays for the Sixers too, seeing as how he has no integrity and all. Just because he plays for a team you like doesn't mean you can forgive him.

Reply #701447 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Embarrassing lost by eagles. Fully loaded up team but not heart. Can someone seek a medical to check where heart is.... sam johns all class. Took it to Sixers. Teys wow. Teys Sixers captain Doyle eagles. Who is the man.

Reply #701448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh we aren't crying now like we werent crying before. But the basketball gods set the record straight. OMG what a great day. Eagles go Zip and 2 after carrying on like gods for a month. Poor Colin must be shattered. You got what you deserved.

Reply #701449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Andy will learn something from tonight. Jo Hill plays for the club and with passion - title. DJ plays with no heart and for money - no title!!!

Reply #701450 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Love Doyle comment about we will be back and well done to all on the bench. 5 guys got 0 time... there's heaps of confidence there. Correct passion from tigers. Nothing from eagles.

Reply #701453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take the bloke who had as many votes as Johns in the Woollacott in half the games

Reply #701455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Four blokes on the Tigers bench didn't get one either. But that’s okay because they aren’t Forestville.

Reply #701457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't get on*

Reply #701458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the bloke who had as many votes as Johns lost!!

Reply #701459 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

John's is championship captain. The spuds on the eagles bench never get on.

Reply #701460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So winning one specific game makes you a better player. Got it.

Reply #701461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And all the superstars at the end of Southerns bench did.

Reply #701462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick thankyou to the Scumthern fans though, nothing was stolen from my car which made a bad night better.

Reply #701463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you lost ..............stop whinging. oh ive heard that comment before! You must be out of the finals!!!!! oops the eagles lost with the unbeatable team

Reply #701464 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Winning one specific game better than losing one specific game.... so.yeah I reckon it does. Maybe see if can get an exemption to have one specific game declared null and void.

Reply #701465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's worse, thinking Johns is better than Doyle, or making a big deal out of five eagles not playing, when four of yours didn’t?

Five is how many fingers you have Tigers fans. Or teeth.

Reply #701466 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So glad the eagles lost.... Maybe if Johnson wasn't playing with that injury... good to see the Sixers step up.... few tough calls... but hey game played in right spirit.

Reply #701467 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I can't wait... to give... Sam Johns a wristy... tonight.

Reply #701470 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

John's be going strong tonight

Reply #701471 | Report this post

The Rooster  
Years ago

Just maybe, the lady Rockets showed passion and teammanship, with a true champion amongst them. Thanks for the priveledge of watching Jo Hill end a career as Grand Finalist and MVP!

Reply #701480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754