Sportando reports

Topic #43781 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

Is that a haiku?

Reply #701560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Couple reports stating it's Lamar Patterson.
Looks like he's the one

Reply #701571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG Ware
SG Goulding
SF Patterson
PF Mathiang
C Boone

If possible better starting side then Sydney

Reply #701572 | Report this post

Silky Smooth player.

Lacks the raw athleticism of Prather and Felix, but can play off the ball and shot is much better.

Doesn't need the ball in his hands and will mean melbourne will be a very tough cover for teams.

Two horse race at the moment between united and the kings.

Reply #701575 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Since when was Mathiang coming to Melbourne?

Reply #701576 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Ware. Hooley
Goulding. McCarron
Patterson. Moller
Trist/Barlow, Smith-Milner
Boone, Pledger

Stacked with one local spot remaining.
They appear to have enough players upfront can't see Mathiang fitting in.

McCarron early 6th man favorite.

Reply #701579 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pretty much a Ramone Moore clone

Reply #701580 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Hogwash, your count is already at 11, counting Patterson, where's that other local spot fitting in?

Reply #701583 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

My mistake WookieE.

They can still add a next star prospect though.

Reply #701585 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah I'm not sure McCarron leaves Cairns and other offers on the table to come to Melbourne to come off the bench. I think you can pencil him as a starter likely at SF.

Reply #701588 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

MU may be looking at Lamar Patterson to give some offence off the bench.

I doubt with what theyre paying Mc Carron and the fact he left for a bigger role that he would be coming off the bench.

BTW Patterson is playing the Chinese 2nd league which someone averaged 60 points in last year, so the NBL will be a big step up.

Reply #701596 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He played in Italy last season I think, which is a similar standard to NBL. The fact they've gone a 2-3 instead of a 3-4 as expected suggests they may have another signing to come.

Reply #701597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's McCarron on? $400K?

Reply #701599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@paul - another signing?!

Gee whiz, I thought picking up Patterson was already impressive. Melbourne are going to be stacked !!

Reply #701603 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I could be wrong, I just suspect Melbourne would be aiming higher than Trist/Barlow in the 4-spot. Having said that, after the GF and a healthy pre-season maybe they think Barlow can produce over a full year.

Reply #701604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow far superior to Trist, Moller just played the whole seabl season as a four, could play three and four, looks like great team and coach is top shelf.

Reply #701607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree, I wouldn't put it past them though.

Reply #701608 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne looks absolutely stacked from 1-3, but a bit light on in the frontcourt.

Moller can defend and rebound well enough to play at the 4, but the lack of low post options in this team is a worry- unless Trist is better than people seem to think?

Reply #701610 | Report this post

Nogg  
Years ago

I don't think you really need a low post scoring option in basketball today. It's a luxury. It's rare to find a post scorer who scores from there as efficiently as most people shoot threes or off cuts or as a roll man. A post player also slows offences down generally. Trist can score in the low post, but I think any team without a post threat isn't disadvantaged in any way.

Reply #701620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you watched any of the NBL champion teams?

Sure, the game has changed, but not that much. You don't run small from 1 to 3, then just forget about 4.

Is TSM any good? Any chance they're hoping from decent minutes from him to back up Boone & Pledger?

Reply #701624 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Yeah not completely sold on Smith Millner yet. He provided a few good hustle minutes towards the end of last year but whether he's ready for 20 mins a game im not sure.

Wesley could be a much bigger blow than we think. He was the catalyst for the mid season serge last year and he's passing out of the post freed up plenty of 3's.

We havnt replaced him and will need to tweak our game style to probably more run and gun without an inside option.

Good as long as the shots are dropping...

Reply #701627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post game is compatible with motion offense and spot up shooting. Drawing double teams still works, and works even better for teams that manage lead passing in a motion offense.

Wesley was also very effective last season, when Melbourne's shooters weren't hitting.

Reply #701642 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

With a fit and firing Alex Pledger, I think United will be fine but the question I ask is would they go twin towers and have Boone and the Pledgehammer playing together on court at the same time?

At worst, Vickerman has so many options so I think it will be a fun season ahead for him.

Would anyone have Bubbles coming off the bench behind McCarron?

Reply #701782 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I think Pledger is more capable and poses more of a threat than Majok. But age will be a factor.
Retaining Ware and Boone is a huge factor.
Patterson remains to be seen, but I feel that is a slight downgrade from Prather/Felix.

So who is the replacement for Wesley?
Can't help feeling that overall they have regressed slightly.

Reply #701861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754