Peter
Years ago

Ben Simmons not a certainty for USA games & World Cup

Is there a real chance Ben will not play USA games & world cup to focus only on NBA or is it too far out to confirm?

When asked directly, he spoke about Olympics.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/ben-simmons-hints-at-missing-team-usa-series-world-cup-20180819-p4zyfh.html

Topic #43782 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

He has always said his focus was on 2020 Olympics and that the 2019 FIBA World Cup was not part of his plans.

Reply #701591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't imagine he'll pass up the chance to play in his hometown in front of 60k against the USA

Reply #701594 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The team that plays in those games will be the WC team so to play in them would mean a commitment to playing in the WC too.

Reply #701595 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I doubt that if Ben wanted to ONLY play in the Melbourne game, but not the WC, no-one would be stupid enough to knock him back...

Actually, strike that... I'm sure they would be stupid enough, but I would hope smarter heads would prevail...

Reply #701598 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

IF Ben decides not to play, it will be interesting to see how much it affects the crowds for the 2 Melbourne games.

Without Ben, I would go:

Delly
Mills
Bogut
Baynes
Ingles

Exum
Broekhoff
Maker
Bolden
Creek

Green
One of either: Motum or Bairstow

Reply #701611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum
Mills
Ingles
Maker
Baynes

Delly
Goulding
Broekhoff
Bolden
Bogut

Creek
Mathiang

Reply #701612 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

He never said he wouldn't play, just that he's taking it day by day. And he said he definitely wanted to play at the Olympics some day, so he hasn't even said he's definitely playing 2020 either.

""Day by day, honestly, I'm getting ready for the [NBA] season - and then whatever happens, happens," Simmons said.

“I definitely want to represent Australia in the Olympics, in the future.”"

Sounds to me like he is being conservative, but if he is healthy, and if the Kardashian ass plague doesn't consume him, I would be surprised if he didn't play.

Also, if I were Lemanis, I'd be offering for him to play restricted minutes for the pool games and warm ups. To be fair, no Australian is going to be playing more NBA minutes or working harder next season than Ben Simmons, and they should try to facilitate him in all the ways they can.

Reply #701626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't have a chance of winning the WC without him. Hope he plays both the WC and Olympics.

Reply #701629 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The World Cup is qualification for the Olympics. If he really wants to play in the Olympics, helping the Boomers qualify via the World Cup is the way to go.

The Boomers qualify by being the highest ranked team in the 2019 World Cup from the Oceania zone. So basically we have to be ranked higher than New Zealand.

Year AUS / NZ
2006 13th / 16th
2010 10th / 12th
2014 12th / 15th

We might've ranked higher than NZ each WC since 2006, but it has been a narrow margin. The Boomers have historically struggled in the WC compared with their Olympics performances. More teams with more potential for upsets.

Reply #701640 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah the WC is definitely the harder event. In the Olympics you can lose 2-3 games in pool play and still qualify and just need one good win in the quarter finals to make the medal rounds.

WC is a much tougher competition, which makes the Tall Blacks 2002 effort all the more impressive.

Having said that, being Simmons being "no certainty" to play is hardly news. Its a year away. A lot will happen between now and then.

This is like those stories where someone asks a politician/athlete/celebrity "would you rule out doing X?" regarding something in the future where a lot of considerations are needed but then the news is "Politician refuses to say he wont do X!"

Reply #701658 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

WC wasn't as tough in 2002 with less teams and one less elimination round.

NZ went 3-3 in their group and were hammered by USA, Germany and Argentina. They had wins over Venezuela (1-4), China (1-7) and an average Russia (only wins over China, Venezuela and Angola) to get through the group stage.

Then they got a great match-up for them in Puerto Rico to get to the medal rounds, where they had a real dip. Funnily enough, NZ played better at the 04 Olympics but went 1-5 and finished 10th! They lost to sliver-medalists Italy by 2 and gold medalists Argentina by 4, as well as Spain by 4 who only lost one game for the tournament.

Reply #701661 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Goes to show that luck with matchups is a big factor and that NZ can get that lucky break in the World Cup and steal the Oceania spot for the Olympics.

Besides, surely the World Cup is the more challenging tournament and therefore should be the most prestigious international basketball event.

Reply #701710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben will end of playing for the Dream Team, he is a dual citizen.

Reply #701715 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

BA would have to allow him to play for the US, which I doubt they'd do even if he wanted to - which he's given no indication of at any point.

Reply #701717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA wouldnt get a say!
Same if Kyrie wanted to play for Aust.

Dual passport.
No problem.

Reply #701790 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I think that because Ben has played as an Aust as a junior. Ergo, clearance necessary. Kyrie could have, up until he played for the USA. Now he would also need a clearance to play for anyone else.

Reply #701793 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As Ben has represented australia in a FIBA sanctioned event, he is no longer able to play for the USA. The same goes for Kyrie Irving who has played for the USA - he cannot play for Australia now.

Reply #701797 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Once someone has played for Australia (which Ben has), they can't play for another country unless BA agree, which I cant see them doing in any circumstances.

Therefore Ben's only international option is Australia and as said above, Ben has never suggested he wants to play for any other country.

For same reason, Kyrie not playing for the Boomers.

Reply #701799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wrong.

If Ben wanted to play for the states I bet it happens.

Same with Kyrie.

You think any of that will hold of in a court of law these days, please lawyers will have a field day with it.

You can not stop someone representing his country of choice.
The world has changed people.

Reply #701805 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Yes Anon, Ben could still play for the States but it would have to be Tiddly Winks as he's already played for the Boomers against NZ in a FIBA qualifier.

Any Sporting body can stop people from representing more than one country if that is what their rules clearly state.

Reply #701807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of Australia who else wouldn't mind seeing Bryce Cotton play for Boomers

Reply #701810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro

Sure you cant play for both at the same time etc.

But if Ben Simmons turned around tomorrow and said, Sorry Asutralia Im going to play for the USA dream team in Tokyo becuuse I love the country, its the motherland, Im a proud American etc etc etc
You are crazy to think it wouldnt happen.

Reply #701821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldn't happen.

Reply #701848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:51 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754